Subject: Remote Operation

From: [email-masked] (Postgres Database)
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 92 08:39:20 -0800

Hi, Jaff

	When I run postgres as user postgres on remote machine
through the local network, everything goes fine. But as one of the 
user, when I run on remote machine, it give me following message :

chenyy@loony:/tmp_mnt/home/dweezil/postgres/demo
-------16%createdb mydemo2
FATAL 1:Mar 16 11:04:12:process userid (345) != database owner (79)

/home/dweezil/postgres/bin/createdb: database creation failed on mydemo2.

or 

chenyy@loony:/tmp_mnt/home/dweezil/postgres/demo
-------12%!!
monitor demo
Welcome to the C POSTGRES terminal monitor

Go
* \i set-up-1.pq

Query sent to backend is "  define type city_budget ( internallength = 16,
  input = int44in,                        output = int44out,
 element = int4) "
FATAL 1:Mar 16 10:56:13:process userid (345) != database owner (79)

Query sent to backend is "define function circle_in (language = "c",
                   returntype = circle )    arg is (char16)   as "/fiu/dweez
il/postgres/demo/circle.o" "
Error: No response from the backend, exiting...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
	This user can run the normal operation on postgres server 
machine.
	As the manual described, UID of chenyy is unique and the same
as Unix's UID 345, 79 is user postgres's UID I modify in src/lib/H/catalog/
pg_user.h as follow :
 DATA(insert OID =    79 ( postgres 79 t t t t ));
	The platform I use is Sun 3/80 using SunOS 4.1.1

	Would you please tell me what part I doing wrong ?

Ying-Yuang Chen

---

From: postarch (Postgres Mailing Archive)
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 92 11:09:22 PST

> /home/dweezil/postgres/bin/createdb: database creation failed on mydemo2.

This particular message occurs only when the effective userid of the backend
(which due to the setuid permissions on the installed binaries should be
postgres) is not the same as postgres' userid.

Make sure that the binaries are owned by postgres and are setuid to owner.

It sounds like you may have nfs mounted the file system where postgres is
installed and are trying to run on a different machine than where the binaries
actually live.  If this is the case you should run the postmaster only on the
server, and only run front-ends on the remote machine (setenv PGHOST to be the
server machine).

Jeff Meredith
[email-masked]