Subject: Another FATAL error

From: Gunter Strube <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1993 09:35:43 +0200

Ok, I got my postgres running again and it worked fine for the rest
of yesterday.
Today however, I get the FATAL error:

FATAL 1:Aug 25 08:25:55:initialization failed on sony jukebox

on anything I do. This seems strange to me and I have no Idea how to
deal with this - especially since nothing has changed in our 
configuration. 

Thanks
  Gunter

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gunter Strube                                 Phone +49 89 551 743-74 
Institute of Electronic Design Automation    
Prof. Dr.-Ing. K. Antreich       
Technical University of Munich    
P.O. Box 202420                  
W-80290 Munich 2                 
Germany                            [email-masked]
------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul M. Aoki)
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 93 02:01:56 -0700

> deal with this - especially since nothing has changed in our 

two items.

by mistake, the precompiled 4.1 systems had support for the sony
MO disk jukebox built in.  this should not have been turned on but
this is harmless.

the reason this appears is that the first set of files the system
tries to open are the _sj_* files in .../data.  if it can't open those
files read/write, it quits.  sounds to me like someone either changed
the ownership to a user besides "postgres" (since the files in .../data are 
installed mode 600 this would prevent read/write) or the file permissions
have changed so that they are not readable and/or writable.  or those 
files have been deleted, which is also bad. :-)

in any case it sounds like someone is screwing around too much with
your .../data directory.  if you think files are gone or damaged, 
	cleardbdir
followed by
	initdb
always works :-)
--
  Paul M. Aoki  |  CS Div., Dept. of EECS, UCB  |  [email-masked]
                |  Berkeley, CA 94720           |  ...!uunet!ucbvax!aoki