Subject: out of free buffers - how to fix?

From: [email-masked] (Mahlon Stacy 4-4558)
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 92 05:32:18 -0700

I have an application in which I wish to replace the data in the
database nightly. My plan was to use delete to empty the database,
then copy to load the new information.

When I try to delete I get:

route66% monitor imageindex
Welcome to the C POSTGRES terminal monitor

Go 
* delete FILE \g

Query sent to backend is "delete FILE "
WARN:Jul  2 07:29:36:out of free buffers: time to abort !

Is there a workaround or better suggestion for this?

	-Mahlon
-------------------------------------------------------------
Mahlon Stacy                   Internet:   [email-masked]
Mayo Foundation                Amateur:    KF0AW
Rochester, MN 55905            Medical Science Bldg 1-29
(507) 284-4558                 FAX (507) 284-1428
-------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: postarch (Postgres Mailing Archive)
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 92 09:05:03 PDT

> Is there a workaround or better suggestion for this?

Version 3.1 had many "buffer leaks" where queries allocate
and "pin" a shared memory buffer more times than they release it.
This can lead to a severe shortage of free buffers.  The only
workaround I can suggest is to grab version 4, as we have now taken
care of this problem.

Jeff