Subject: Re: Newsgroup instead Of eMail

From: [email-masked] (Hein Veenhof)
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 93 07:10:24 -0800

Hello Paul

Thank you for your support although I did not receive the mail
you have send to pg_adm@postgres. 

About starting a CFV for a newsgroup comp.databases.postgres:

 I think this can only be done by the postgres developers since
 they should be archiving and perhaps moderating such a group.
 They can also better define the purpose (goal, aim) of this
 newsgroup. For those who are not able to access news a mail_list
 should stil be active. Articles posted to the newsgroup could
 automatically be forwarded to the mail_list.

Without the support of the postgres developers a 'new' newsgroup
'comp.database.postgres' will die soon.    

Hein

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 93 20:34:03 -0800

> I am against any move towards a "comp.databases.postgres". I see
> enough RTFM questions here (ex. how to DELETE yourself from this email
> posting) without going to all the RTFM questions on the net.

Having the newsgroup helps in this regard: you can have a FAQ.  What
works well for Mach is to have *both* a newsgroup and a developers
mailing list.  I suggest that the newsgroup be created *and* this
list be continued (but that the documentation be modified to suggest
that this list is only for knowledgable developers.

---
 Robert Withrow, Tel: +1 617 598 4480, Fax: +1 617 598 4430, Net: [email-masked]
 R.W. Withrow Associates, 21 Railroad Ave, Swampscott MA 01907-1821 USA