Subject: Does Postgres Run on Sun MP Class Machines?

From: [email-masked] (Leif Neve)
Date: Mon, 18 May 92 09:33:45 -0700

Is anyone running Postgres on a Sun MP class machine? Does anyone
plan to do so in the near future?

We are upgrading our Sun 4/260 to a Sun 690 MP and would love to
know if we are still going to be able to build and use Postgres.

Leif Neve ([email-masked])

---

From: postarch (Postgres Mailing Archive)
Date: Mon, 18 May 92 10:42:22 PDT

> Leif Neve ([email-masked])

We test all of our releases on a sparc 1 running SunOs 4.1.2.  Since MPs
run SunOs 4.1.2, Postgres should run fine on it.  It will not however
take advantage of any the machine's parallelism explicitly but in the same
fashion that any other user-level program will be sped up by the machine's
improved performance over other sun hardware.   

Again, we will not be testing postgres directly on an MP because we don't have
one, but postgres will run fine on it.

later,
Adam Glass
postgres research group