Subject: Why I am getting 'no response from backend message'?

From: "I. Ahmad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 1994 00:25:29 -0400 (EDT)

Hi everyone:

I am using postgres version 4.2 on Sun Sparc running SUN OS 4.1.3. So far I
was having no problem in using postgres. Somehow couple of days back the
server running the posmaster got crashed. The system administrator restarted
the machine and I (as postgres) restarted the postmaster after doing 
ipcclean etc. and since then I am getting strange behaviour from postgres.

If I try to retrieve tuples from a given class into some temporary class from
the monitor, I am getting the following message:

Go 
* retrieve into cap_temp (agents.all) \g

Query sent to backend is "retrieve into cap_temp (agents.all) "
FATAL: no response from backend: detected in PQexec

I can clearly see the postmaster process in existance through the ps command.
and seems to be working fine since if I issue the following query, the 
system produces the correct output.

* retrieve (agents.all) \g

I am getting similar message even if I try to create a new class or delete
some existing class. 

Any idea what is wrong. All the environment variables are as they were before
when system was working O.K. I am gettin similar response even if I start
monitor on the machine running the postmaster.

I will appreciate any response.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                 ,        ,
                                /(        )`
                                \ \___   / |
                                /- _  `-/  '
                               (/\/ \ \   /\    Imran Ahmad
                               / /   | `    \   Dept. of Computer Science
                               O O   ) /    |   431 State Hall
                               `-^--'`<     '   Wayne State University
      \\/////                 (_.)  _  )   /    Detroit, MI 48201
     \\\//////                 `.___/`    /     Phone: (313)577-6771
     \ ^   ^ /                   `-----' /	
     ( @   @ )      <----.     __ / __   \	
         o          <----|====O)))==) \) /====	email: [email-masked]
         ^          <----'    `--' `.__,' \
     .--\_/--.  (>               |        |
    '         ' //                \       /
    '          ''            ______( (_  / \______
    '----------'           ,'  ,-----'   |        \
                           `--{__________)	  \/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

==============================================================================
   To add/remove yourself to/from the POSTGRES mailing list: send mail with 
   the subject line ADD or DEL to "[email-masked]"

   If this fails, send mail to "[email-masked]" and
   a human will deal with it.  DO NOT post to the "postgres" mailing list.
==============================================================================