Subject: PQexec in complex retrieve operations

From: orestes appel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 92 13:59:11 -0800

When running a C program and sending Postquel commands to the backend,
we are having trouble when these expressions are not the simplest ones.
For instance:

 PQexec ("retrieve portal eportal (EMP.all) where EMP.age=29");
 PQexec ("fetch all in eportal");

doesn't work when compiling. We've got the following message:

"try.c", line 26: newline in string or char constant
"try.c", line 29: syntax error at or near variable name "PQexec"

However, when using:

 PQexec ("retrieve portal eportal (EMP.all)");
 PWexec ("fetch all in eportal");

it works perfectly.

It looks like it doesn't understand what's going on after the right
parenthesis in (EMP.all).
Should we use a different syntax? Are we using the wrong command?
Is it behaving the way it is expected?

We appreciate any pointers about this.

Thanks in advance.

	Orestes Appel

---

From: George Hartzell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 92 16:06:56 -0800

You might try running your program just through the c preprocessor
(look at the -E option in cc's man page) and make sure that some funky
macro expansion isn't happening.

g.