Subject: Installing postgres

From: [email-masked] (Raj Vadakkencherry)
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 1994 09:19:58 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

 I'd like to install the latest version of postgres on my linux machine.
 Could you tell me where I can get the code and installation instructions ?

Raj.

==============================================================================
   To add/remove yourself to/from the POSTGRES mailing list: send mail with 
   the subject line ADD or DEL to "[email-masked]"

   If this fails, send mail to "[email-masked]" and
   a human will deal with it.  DO NOT post to the "postgres" mailing list.
==============================================================================

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul M. Aoki)
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 94 13:31:19 -0700

>  Could you tell me where I can get the code and installation instructions ?

try looking in

ftp://s2k-ftp.CS.Berkeley.EDU/pub/postgres/unofficial-ports/linux

that may not be the latest and greatest, strictly speaking.  you
should probably try the standard linux ftp sites to see if there have
been any recent updates.
--
  Paul M. Aoki          |  University of California at Berkeley
  [email-masked]  |  Dept. of EECS, Computer Science Division (#1776) 
                        |  Berkeley, CA 94720-1776

---

From: Kacper Nowicki <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 1994 08:34:45 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

I would like to test POSTGRES interface I'm writing. 
The problem is I don't know how I can generate portal
with more than one group of instances.

Thanks in advance,
Kacper

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kacper Nowicki                         e-mail: [email-masked]
Warsaw University                      =================================
Physics Department Computer Center
Hoza 69, 00-681 Warszawa, Poland       fax: (48) 39121805

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 1994 16:01:33 -0400 (EDT)

We are developing an application which uses Postgres to store it's data.
 The problem is that I need to be able to store text strings with
carriage return characters in them.

First, I tried just passing the raw '\n' character embedded in the
string to libpq.  This causes me to receive a "scanner error"(something
about unterminated char or string) and nothing is stored in the text
field.  Next, I tried inserting a '\' before the '\n' (since this
appears to work properly if done from the monitor).  However, when
executed via libpq, Postgres just drops the carriage return entirely! 
So I figured it was just a problem with the text data type and converted
everything to octal and tried to store it as a bytea data type. 
Unfortunately, Postgres seems to treat the bytea data type exactly like
text (at least in this respect).

Is it possible to store a piece of text in Postgres without losing the
formatting (i.e., carriage returns)?

Robert

--                                                                        
+------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Robert Patrick                      _/_/_/_/    _/      _/  _/_/_/_/   |
| n-dim Group                         _/      _/  _/      _/  _/      _/ |
| Engineering Design Research Center  _/      _/  _/      _/  _/      _/ |
| Department of Chemical Engineering  _/      _/  _/      _/  _/      _/ |
| Carnegie Mellon University          _/_/_/_/    _/_/_/_/_/  _/_/_/_/   |
| Pittsburgh, PA  15213               _/   _/     _/      _/  _/         |
| Phone: (412)268-5215                _/    _/    _/      _/  _/         |
| Fax: (412)268-5229                  _/     _/   _/      _/  _/         |
| [email-masked]            _/      _/  _/      _/  _/         |
| [email-masked]                                                   |
| World Wide Web: http://paneer.ndim.edrc.cmu.edu:8888/~rp2y/Home.html   |
+------------------------------------------------------------------------+

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul M. Aoki)
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 94 13:56:49 -0700

> formatting (i.e., carriage returns)?

i couldn't quite tell if you had already tried this, but:

heliotrope:postgres (22)> cat foo.c
main()
{
  (void) PQsetdb("mumble");
  (void) PQexec("create foo (x=text)");
  (void) PQexec("append foo (x=\"new\\nline\")");
  (void) PQfinish();
}
heliotrope:postgres (23)> cc foo.c /private/devel/postgres/lib/libpq.a
heliotrope:postgres (24)> createdb mumble
heliotrope:postgres (25)> a.out
heliotrope:postgres (26)> monitor -c 'retrieve (foo.all)' mumble
---------------
| x           |
---------------
| new
line    |
---------------
heliotrope:postgres (27)>