Subject: Questions on Virtual Attributes....

From: "WEIX%PTHWRK.allin1"@puget.com
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 1994 15:36 PDT

From:	NAME: Xinguo Wei                    
	FUNC:                                 
	TEL:                                  <WEIX AT A1 AT PTHWRK>
To:	smtp%"[email-masked]"@mrgate

Hi,

I am testing the virtual attribute function using the SET expression and I have
two questions here.
1. When define the attribute using X = setof Y, the keyword "setof" seems not
necessary if Y is a class name, i.e., "members = EMP" is the same as "members =
setof EMP".  If Y is not a class name, then "setof" is needed.  Am I right?

2. In the following test case, I defined a set attribute for DEPT. But I
couldn't find the way to retrive its value!!  Please help me.

create EMP (name = text, dept = text)\g
create DEPT (name = text, emp_no = setof int4) \g
append EMP (name = "a", dept = "candy")\g
append EMP (name = "b", dept = "candy")\g
append DEPT (name = "candy",
  EMP_no = "retrieve (a = count{EMP.name where EMP.dept = \\"candy\\"})") \g

retrieve (DEPT.name, DEPT.emp_no) \g

Query sent to backend is "retrieve (dept.name, dept.emp_no) "
-----------------------------
| name        | emp_no      |
-----------------------------
| candy       | 25252       |
-----------------------------

 The value of emp_no here looks like an OID. What kind of object is that? How
 can i get the correct value of 2 ?

 Thanks!!

 Xinguo Wei

 [email-masked]

==============================================================================
   To add/remove yourself to/from the POSTGRES mailing list: send mail with 
   the subject line ADD or DEL to "[email-masked]"

   If this fails, send mail to "[email-masked]" and
   a human will deal with it.  DO NOT post to the "postgres" mailing list.
==============================================================================

---

From: Xinguo Wei <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 1994 10:12:59 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, 

My email account is having some problems in receiving mail. So I am sending
my question using a diffent account now.  Sorry for the confusion.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,

 Thanks!!

 Xinguo Wei

 [email-masked]