Subject: Postgres 4.2.beta.1 for Linux

From: [email-masked] (Kai Petzke)
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 1994 23:44:53 --100

Hi,

Postgres 4.2.beta.1 for Linux is available.  I provide it in two forms:

- as a diff against the beta v4r2 release of Postgres from Berkeley,
  in the file:

  postgres-v4r2.beta.1.diff.gz

  You can get the beta v4r2 release of Postgres from:

  s2k-ftp.CS.Berkeley.EDU:pub/postgres/postgres-v4r2.beta/postgres-v4r2.tar.Z
  marie.physik.tu-berlin.de:/pub/linux/postgres/postgres-v4r2beta.tar.gz

- a diff against my 4.2.alpha.2 for Linux, in the file:

  postgres-v4r2.alpha.2-beta.1.diff.gz

  This diff contains both changes from me and from Berkeley, and
  was rather complex to generate.  I hope it works, but cannot
  take any guarantee.

Both diffs can be found on:

	marie.physik.tu-berlin.de:/pub/linux/postgres		(now)
	ftp.cs.tu-berlin.de:/pub/linux/packages/postgres	(soon)

Get as well the README as in: postgres-v4r2.beta.1.diff.gz

Access is allowed all day.  Please note, though, that the domain
tu-berlin.de is very busy during working hours, and you may
encounter lost connections or timeouts, if you try to connect
to it from outside during 8am to 6pm local time, which is
7am to 5pm GMT or 2am to 12am US Eastern Time.

I have reworked the grammatical parser and lexical scanner interface.
The new functions in src/backend/parser do no longer contain a single
#ifdef __linux__/#endif pair.  Rather, they check for the symbols
YYBYACC (as defined by Berkeley Yacc, in opposite to standard unix
yacc) and FLEX_SCANNER (as defined by flex, in opposite to lex).
According to the setting of these symbols, the right definitions
are made, and the right files are included.

I have done all the tests in src/regress/demo and src/regress/regress.
The regression tests runs all the way through.

I would like people to try it out.  The postgres backend is
running, you can create databases, and tables.  The multiuser
bug of 4.1 seems to be gone, too.

Have fun

Kai
[email-masked]