Subject: PRESS RELEASE: R&A ships POSTGRES 4.1 for NEXTSTEP

From: [email-masked] (Gerben Wierda)
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 93 21:37:56 +0200

R&A SHIPS University POSTGRES v4.1

R&A has ported the University POSTGRES database system (a fully object-oriented  
database from the group that spawned INGRES) to NEXTSTEP 3.x. POSTGRES is a  
research effort into the realm of future database systems. It has time-travel,  
abstract data types (objects!) and so on.

The POSTGRES sources are available from the university of California at Berkeley  
for free. But porting is not trivial and has taken quite some time. This has to  
do with dependencies in the POSTGRES code on several both interface and  
implementation of the native OS it runs on. We share our code changes with the  
POSTGRES group at Berkeley so with future releases of POSTGRES and future  
releases of NEXTSTEP porting will become less an issue. People that want it now,  
can either port themselves, or buy our package.

POSTGRES is not a stable, commercial environment (even if it is used as such  
here and there) but its key aspects make it popular in research and other  
advanced environments.

We sell binary installer packages for POSTGRES on NEXTSTEP 3.x for both i386 and  
m68k architecture. The price is low (since we sell only the porting effort and  
not POSTGRES itself):
	$175 1 CPU 1 architecture
	$275 >1 CPU 1 architecture (site license)
We have ported everything of the 4.1 release, including the dynamic loader.  
POSTGRES comes on a set of two floppies, one with the postgres programs, initial  
data and one with the documentation and the library. The library is MAB, so you  
can compile on another architecture and connect to the server on your  
architecture of choice.

MAB on request (we do not offer MAB standard because of the limitations in  
NEXTSTEP installer packages with respect to multiple floppies). For sites that  
need source control: we offer source licenses for our System V shared memory and  
semaphore software. 

For more information you can mail to [email-masked] or call/fax to  
+31 70 3230851. Due to ongoing reconstruction activities, this fax is  
operational on weekdays only from 9.00 CDT until 21.00 CDT. That is  
approximately from 3:00 EDT until 15:00 EDT and 0:00 PDT until 12:00 PDT.

You can also write to:

R&A
Goudreinetstraat 582
2564 PX Den Haag
The Netherlands

We prefer e-mail. NeXTmail welcome.

R&A is a small firm specialized in quality software design and implementation  
and consultancy. We are specialized in OO, Unix and NEXTSTEP.

All trademarks belong to their owners.