Subject: Re: Retrieve question

From: [email-masked] (Paul M. Aoki)
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 94 18:53:50 -0800

[email-masked] (Paul M. Aoki) writes:
> [email-masked] (Suresh Srinivasan) writes:
> > It seems that if the query is qualified by
> > even a simple Boolean expression, the search
> > defaults to a sequential scan rather than
> > use the index.
> you can have fairly complex AND/NOT expressions and use indices.
> the key in your query is the OR.
[blah blah blah, blah, blah blah blah blah...]

to put it more consisely, you're absolutely right for OR clauses.
the optimizer won't use an index with OR -- we don't keep the 
statistics it needs to make intelligent use of them so the 
corresponding code has just never been written.  nor will it be,
at this point.
--
  Paul M. Aoki  |  CS Div., Dept. of EECS, UCB  |  [email-masked]
                |  Berkeley, CA 94720           |  ...!uunet!ucbvax!aoki