Subject: problem with append

From: [email-masked] (Ullrich Schoenbeck)
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 92 9:58:58 MET

Hi !

I have a problem by inserting values in a class.

First I create the following bases:

  create PERSON (name=text, firstname=text, address=text, telno=text)
  create GUEST () inherits (PERSON)
  create COLLEAGUE (telno2=text, position=text) inherits (PERSON)
  create INSTITUTE (name=text, address=text, manager=COLLEAGUE)

I think that's ok.

Now I insert tuples to the relation COLLEAGUE. That works fine, too.
The next thing I want to do is appending tuples to the relation INSTITUTE.

My problem is assigning a value to the attribut manager.
Can I do that by using the command append or do I need an additional postquel function ?

One can gratify me by sending an example with the correct syntax.
Thanks, 

Ullrich Schoenbeck
[email-masked]

---

From: postarch (Postgres Mailing Archive)
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 92 10:36:53 PST

you write:

> Can I do that by using the command append or do I need an additional postquel
 + function ?

The problem is that there currently isn't very much support for complex
types.  You can't use complex attributes as defined above.  There's just no
way to append data to them.  The only complex type manipulation supported is
that provided by postquel functions.  This situation is due to improve
markedly in version 4.

Jeff Meredith
[email-masked]