Subject: Re: Installation / Linux

From: [email-masked] (Kai Petzke)
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 93 18:12:23 MET

Hi,

> i have just installed linux and am interested in
> installing postgres on linux.
> 
> one person seems trying to install it.
> i wonder if there is anybody who successfully installed it on linux.

Well, there are several people, who have installed postgres successfully.

There are two distributions of the Postgres 4.0.1 port for Linux:
source and binary.  The problems you saw, were with the source
distribution.  However, for easy installation, you should always
go with the binary distribution.

I just tried once again to install this binary distribution.  It took
me half an hour, including the download of the file over a 14.400 bps
modem (I deleted all my copies of my original release).  All I did, was:

- get the postgres4.0.1a.bin file.
- create a user postgres, home directory /usr/postgres, user ID 6,
  with /bin/tcsh as shell.
- login as postgres.
- set the PATH environment, so it includes /usr/postgres/bin.
- set the POSTGRESHOME environment to /usr/postgres
- type: zcat postgres4.0.1a.bin | gtar xfv -
- type: ./moveme.bin  to get all names right.
- run initdb

It is a bit of a hassle, but it should all be described in the files
postgres.README and postgres-setup.me.  The later is in the postgres
documentation package.

The kernel patch in the postgres.README is no longer needed - the
relevant bugs were corrected.  Ipc is now in the standard kernel
distribution, but be sure to answer "yes" to the IPC question, when
you configure your kernel.

The ipcs and ipcrm binaries hopefully find their way into the standard
linux distributions soon.  For ipc, they play the same role as "ls"
and "rm" for a file system.

The other alternative for obtaining postgres for Linux is the Yggdrasil
CD.  It contains the Postgres 4.1 version.

The problems, you just saw, were with the source release.  Two of
three problems could be fixed by reading the postgres.README.  There
were a lot of subtle changes in Linux header files, libraries, etc.
within the last months, which now break the compile.  I assumed, that
the source is only of interest to people, who know a lot about programming.
They should be able themselves to fix the minor problems they encounter
(and from e-mail I know of several people, who did so).  So I was lazy
uploading patches.

I hope, this helps.

Kai

---

From: [email-masked] (kim kyongsok)
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1993 12:53:36 -1500

thanks.

k kim