Subject: Execution time of queries ( newbie stuff? )

From: "Guy R. Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 1994 15:23:28 -0800

Just out of curiosity....

Why is there a huge difference in the execution times of these
two queries?

Fast:

  retrieve ( b.oid, b.title, d.oid ) from b in bks1, d in bks1
   where b.title   = d.title
   and     b.oid  != d.oid

Slow:

   retrieve ( b.oid, d.oid, b.title ) from b in bks1, d in bks1
      where b.title  =  d.title    

      and     b.oid  != d.oid

---
Guy R. Thomas                           Native Education Centre
Library Coordinator                     285 East Fifth Avenue
[email-masked]                 Vancouver B. C.
V:(604) 873-3761 --- F:(604) 873-9152   V5T 1H2

--PAA00721.759021697/ raven.native-ed.bc.ca --