Subject: Re: Speeding up Postgres 4.2

From: [email-masked] (Paul M. Aoki)
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 94 03:25:14 -0800

[email-masked] (Bernard De Cuyper) writes:
> Thanks a lot, you should ask the guy to come back form illustra, and
> put this feature as standart, it is really working. It give the same
> impression that the first step on the moon. I use "main memory"
> mapping on Sun/Solaris2.3 and I plan to make some extra cache
> relations but it seems also interesting for more complex tasks to
> support labelling in images.

just as long as you know that this is like putting files on a memory
fs or sunos tmpfs -- if you reboot the machine, the main memory data
goes away..

(i've been of the opinion that nvram boards are a better answer for the
disk-write latency problem.. but of course those cost thousands of
dollars..)
--
  Paul M. Aoki          |  University of California at Berkeley
  [email-masked]  |  Dept. of EECS, Computer Science Division (#1776) 
                        |  Berkeley, CA 94720-1776