Subject: regression test error

From: Eric Maes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 1995 15:32:46 +0100 (MET)

Hello,
I am trying to install postgres4.2 on our Sun 4/370 running 
SunOs 4.1.3_U1.  The whole thing compiled well, and I could run
initdb whithout a problem. I set up myself as postgres user and  
then tried to run the regression test. The test did not complete
ending with the following messages in regress.out:

*********************begin included message**********************
Query sent to backend is " load "/usr1/postgres/src/regress/regress/
obj/regress.so" "
FATAL: no response from backend: detected in PQexec

Go 
* 
Query sent to backend is " copy onek from "/usr1/postgres/src/regress/
regress/../data/onek.data" "
FATAL: no response from backend: detected in PQexec

Go 
* 
Query sent to backend is "copy tenk1 from "/usr1/postgres/src/regress/
regress/../data/tenk.data" "
the creation script has an error
********************end included message**************************

Any ideas?
TIA
Eric
*************************************************************************
Eric M.G.M. Maes

System Administrator                        Tel: +32-9-2644595
University of Gent                          Fax: +32-9-2644997
Renard Centre of Marine Geology             [email-masked]
Belgium
*************************************************************************

==============================================================================
   To add/remove yourself to/from the POSTGRES mailing list: send mail with 
   the subject line ADD or DEL to "[email-masked]".
   If this fails, send mail to "[email-masked]" and
   a human will deal with it.  DO NOT post to the "postgres" mailing list.
==============================================================================
              URL: http://s2k-ftp.CS.Berkeley.EDU:8000/postgres/

---

From: Raymond Toy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 1995 14:16:18 -0500

>>>>> "Eric" == Eric Maes <[email-masked]> writes:

Raymond Toy wrote:
    Ray> Hello, I am trying to install postgres4.2 on our Sun 4/370
    Ray> running SunOs 4.1.3_U1.  The whole thing compiled well, and
    Ray> I could run initdb whithout a problem. I set up myself as
    Ray> postgres user and then tried to run the regression test. The
    Ray> test did not complete ending with the following messages in
    Ray> regress.out:

    Ray> *********************begin included
    Ray> message********************** Query sent to backend is "
    Ray> load "/usr1/postgres/src/regress/regress/ obj/regress.so" "
    Ray> FATAL: no response from backend: detected in PQexec

    Ray> Go * Query sent to backend is " copy onek from
    Ray> "/usr1/postgres/src/regress/ regress/../data/onek.data" "
    Ray> FATAL: no response from backend: detected in PQexec

    Ray> Go * Query sent to backend is "copy tenk1 from
    Ray> "/usr1/postgres/src/regress/ regress/../data/tenk.data" "
    Ray> the creation script has an error ********************end
    Ray> included message**************************

    Eric> Any ideas?  TIA Eric

This problem was entirely my fault.  The solution was pointed out to
me on comp.sys.sun.misc by Casper H.S. Dik ([email-masked]).  My
version of libdl lives in /usr/lib so I must be sure to have /usr/lib
in my LD_LIBRARY_PATH before (or instead of) /lib.

Once I made this change to LD_LIBRARY_PATH, the regression test went
just fine with the only differences in times and dates.

Ray

Ray -----> [email-masked]
Toy -----> Ericsson-GE RTP x7480