Subject: 3.0 -> 3.1 HELP!!

From: [email-masked] (Chuck Wooters)
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 92 10:04:53 -0700

Hi-

I posted this question last week and received no responses. Please
forgive me if it is too simple a question, but I *really* need to
get an answer.

I have just installed postgres 3.1, and I need to move my 3.0
files to the new version. I have looked through the documentation
and can't find anything that talks about how to do this. Has anyone
had to deal with this? 

I have sent mail to the postgres people and I have even left phone
messages, but no one responds. If you have any suggestions, please send
them to me I'm desperate!

Thanks.

---

From: postarch (Postgres Mailing Archive)
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 92 15:02:28 PDT

> forgive me if it is too simple a question, but I *really* need to

Sorry, I've been out of town.

> and can't find anything that talks about how to do this. Has anyone

The only way to do this is to copy your existing relations out to
unix files and once the new installation is up and running copy them
back in to POSTGRES relations (presumably you have the shema definition
in a file somewhere).

We realize this isn't very nice, but system catalog formats (and sometimes
tuple layout) can change from release to release.  In the future we will
be providing conversion routines (yes!, you heard it right) to convert
from release n to release n+1.  Starting with converting from version 4
to 4.1 and ever after....  (sorry, probably no 3.1 to 4!!)

> them to me I'm desperate!

Again, I've been out of touch for a while, so sorry for the delay.

Jeff Meredith
[email-masked]