Subject: Interested in Miro? Please read on ...

From: Arlene Emenaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 93 09:54:17 -0700

August 13, 1993

Dear Postgres Users,

As many of you know, approximately one year ago, Miro Systems Inc. was
formed to create a commercial version of Postgres.  That commercialized,
supported version, named Miro, and is available today!  Let me bring you 
up-to-date you on Miro's efforts to productize Postgres.

Over the last 12 months, Miro has examined virtually all of the Postgres 
source code and made substantial improvements to the overall product.  
Changes include:

* Functionality & Performance
	- support for SQL
	- improved type system to allow both the abstract data type
	  system and the class system to support inheritance
	- improved support and performance for multimedia data,
	  including a "guaranteed delivery" facility that allows a user
	  to request delivery of data at a given rate
	- simplified Rules System
	- improved support for alerters
	- substantially improved database performance (2-100 times)
	- improved "vacuum cleaner" function
	- resolution of Postgres problems allowing users to write
	  dynamically-loadable functions and the ability to run these
	  functions in the client program for debugging purposes
	- well defined and documented interface for the
	  dynamically-loadable functions

* Useability & System Administration
	- improved and cleaned up error handling
	- modified programmatic access for users to data stored in the
	  database through a new library interface
	- sophisticated Help System
	- provision of tools to back up and restore data, even in the
	  face of a media failure
	- creation of a new bulk loading tool for data
	- provide users with both front-end tools and administration
	  tools for the database

In general, Miro has gone to great lengths to provide a complete, robust, 
commercial database system based on Postgres.  Miro has been rigorously 
testing the Miro DBMS to insure that users have excellant initial and 
long-term experiences with the product.  The Miro DBMS will be available 
for customers by the end of this month (August 1993).

Should you wish additional information, a whitepaper titled "A Comparison 
of University POSTGRES and Miro" is now available.  To receive a copy of 
this paper and/or additional information about Miro, please respond to this
message (or call 510-652-8000 and ask for Sales) and provide your name, 
address, email address and telephone  number.  The whitepaper is available 
in both hardcopy or via e-mail  (postscript file), so please state your 
preference.

Let me close with three items.  First, we welcome all suggestions for
product improvements.  Second, when you respond to this message, indicate
if you want to be on the Miro Systems mailing list.  And last, Thank You 
for your time and interest!

Arlene Emenaker
Sales Representative
Miro Systems, Inc.
2000 Powell Street
Suite 1405
Emeryville, CA  94608
510-652-8000
510-652-8050 (fax)
[email-masked] or [email-masked]

---

From: "A.Robinson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 93 12:44:09 GMT

Please could you send a hard copy of the MIRO whi/ Postgres whitepaper to
A Robinson, Scholl of MIS, Coventry University, Priory St, Coventry, CV!1 5FB