Subject: Questions regarding = operator for string types

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 92 13:16:44 -0700

Hi,

I installed the Postgres software (version 3.1) yesterday and was trying to
build a test data-base. Following the instructions from the manual, I did
the following:
(1)  createdb TEST (created a TEST data-base)
(2) monitor TEST   (activated the terminal monitor).
(3) create NAME(first_name=char[25], last_name=char[25]) \g    (created a new
    class)
(4) Added a few instances to the class.

Then, I executed (unsuccessfully) the following query:
retrieve (NAME.last_name) where NAME.first_name="Henry"

This gave me a syntax error message saying that the = operator has
not been defined. In the instruction manual though, they create a new
class and the equal (=) operator in a query in a similar fashion.

Does this mean I did something wrong? Also, does this mean that the equal
(=) operator is not defined by default for character strings within a class?
If so, how would I compare 2 (or more) strings in a query?

Thanks in advance,
[email-masked]