Subject: signed or unsiged type ??!!

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 94 18:11:34 +0800

Hi all Postgres Ver 4.1 users,

	I am wondering whether the type, int2, is signed or unsigned..
The User Manual tells me that int2 is SIGNED integer, but I found that
it should be UNSIGNED integer since if I assigned a negative number
to an attribute (which defined as int2), an error will be reported by
Postgres....  I doubt is there any mistake I made or I misunderstand 
while creating the tables. Any advice is appreciated, THANK YOU

Regards,
Keith LAw

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul M. Aoki)
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 94 12:50:21 -0800

> while creating the tables. Any advice is appreciated, THANK YOU

actually, they *are* signed.  this is actually a bug in the parser 
and its understanding of the "-" operator.  sunita fixed this for 
4.2, but for 4.x (x<2) you have to enter int2 and float4 constants as
	"-8234"::int2
	"-1.483485"::float4
--
  Paul M. Aoki  |  CS Div., Dept. of EECS, UCB  |  [email-masked]
                |  Berkeley, CA 94720           |  ...!uunet!ucbvax!aoki