Subject: Re: Help porting Postgres !!!!

From: Hal N. Brooks <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 93 12:36:03 -0700

>Hello
>
>During the last week I have been fighting with bmake trying to get
>it to work on SCO-ODT 2.0 and Linux but I'm about to give up.
>On SCO I managed to get a working bmake by running
>	./bootmake bmake
>instead of the standard targets; unfortunately the compiler
>gives up while working on the backend.
>
>On Linux I didn't even get bootmake running 8*(

If it's of interest, Postgres 4.0.1 has been ported to Linux by
Kai Petzke ([email-masked]).

You can find it on sunsite.unc.edu in the /pub/Linux/apps/databases/postgres
directory.  I believe the modified source is there it you care to
examine the changes made and/or rebuild it yourself.

You should also be able to find this package on tsx-11.mit.edu and
ftp.cs.tu-berlin.de, but I haven't looked for it in those places.

I've been running the provided binaries, and programming with the
provided libpq, for the last few months and it works fine with
Linux 0.99pl9 and the required SysV IPC kernel extensions.  My guess
is that it will work with 0.99pl10 without making any kernel
modifications, but I don't know that for sure.

=============================================================================
 Hal N. Brooks     Voice: (706) 546-7792     Internet: [email-masked]
=============================================================================

---

From: Marc Teitelbaum <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1993 13:49:51 -0700

I haven't had much trouble porting bmake to the different platforms
we support (in fact, all i've really had to do was supply some missing
routines for the sun and ultrix, and maybe change a header or two).  I
can only imagine how much fun you'll have with the postgres code if
your having this much trouble just with bmake ;)  If you script the
compile I'll take a look at it.