Subject: POSTGRES ON AIX?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 May 93 21:58:13 -0700

This note is sent on behalf of my colleague, Ajit Rasiah.

Thank you
Noel Cheer
Market Support Manager
IBM New Zealand Limited

I have a customer who would like to run the application Postgres on the
RISC System/6000 under AIX. My customer has not been able to find a
version of Postgres for the RISC System/6000 and has approached me
to see if I can help. Like my customer, I have also not been able to
contact anyone who has managed to port Postgres to AIX.

Can you please tell me what your plans are concerning the future of
Postgres running under AIX, and is the chance of having Postgres
ported to AIX in the near future?

After reading many of the appends in the IBM Internal forums, it
would appear that there are many customers around the world who
have expressed an interest in being able to run Postgres under
AIX.

Regards,
Ajit Rasiah
IBM New Zealand Services Branch.

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul M. Aoki)
Date: Tue, 11 May 93 00:17:31 -0700

> contact anyone who has managed to port Postgres to AIX.

Rafael Morales Gamboa ([email-masked]) at ITESM Campus 
Morelos, Mexico, has ported 4.0.1 to AIX 3.2.  I don't believe he 
has gotten the dynamic loader to work, however.  As far as I know,
he is willing to send his patches to anyone who asks.  (I also have
a copy of his patches if email to Rafael bounces.  If Rafael says
it's ok, I may just put them in the ftp directory on postgres..)

Some of Rafael's general portability fixes (e.g., things having to
do with the C preprocessor) were merged into 4.1 or otherwise fixed,
but we had no way to check or test the AIX-specific stuff (problems
with OS-specific header files, etc.). :-/

Anyway, for general information, this is "Paul's Private POSTGRES 
Port-list".  This is not "official poop," just info that I've culled 
from the mailing list since (re)joining the POSTGRES group in October.

vendor   cpu         os              postgres        done by
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
DEC      MIPS        Ultrix 4.[23]   4.1             Berkeley
DEC      Alpha AXP   OSF/1           (in progress)   Berkeley
H-P      PA-RISC     HP-UX 8.07      (in progress)   Berkeley
IBM      RS/6000     AIX 3.2         4.0.1           Rafael Morales Gamboa
                                                     [email-masked]
Intel    80386       SVR4            4.0.1           Robert Withrow
                                                     [email-masked]
Intel    80386       SVR4            4.0.1           Neil McQuaig
                                                     [email-masked]
SGI      MIPS        Irix            3.1             Rowland Johnson
                                                     [email-masked]
Sun      Sparc       SunOS 4.1       4.1             Berkeley
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This represents code that is still available for love or money.
(I say "money" because Robert and Neil are freelance consultants.)
The ancient Sun-3 and Sequent port code is no longer available
for either love or money..

> ported to AIX in the near future?

I ***DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT*** speak for the research group.  However,
I think it's safe to point out the fact that our group at Berkeley 
has no AIX boxes, RS/6000 or otherwise.  Unless this situation 
"magically" changes, this obviously reduces the probability of our 
doing and supporting an AIX port to zero. :-)  So...

> have expressed an interest in being able to run Postgres under AIX.

...again, I don't speak for the group, but anyone who might be in a 
position to arrange for some RS/6000s to appear in Berkeley should 
probably contact the POSTGRES chief programmer, Marc Teitelbaum 
([email-masked]).
--
  Paul M. Aoki  |  CS Div., Dept. of EECS, UCB  |  [email-masked]
                |  Berkeley, CA 94720           |  ...!uunet!ucbvax!aoki

---

From: [email-masked] (Rafael Morales G.)
Date: Fri, 14 May 93 13:55:41 -0600

Well, Postgres is running on AIX 3.2 without the dynamic
loader.   Just now, I have no time to work on it, but int two
weeks I will try again.

I am planning work with Postgres 4.0.1 until I get the dynamic
loader working fine.  If this append, it must be easy to port
Postgres 4.1.

I will appreciate any comments.

Thank you.

Rafael Morales Gamboa
ITESM Campus Morelos
Cuernavaca, Mor.
MEXICO