Subject: optical jukebox bid

From: [email-masked] (Clifford Mather)
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 91 16:43:17 -0700

Gary Darling asked me to post the following to this group, and to 
send it to Dr. Patterson, who originally requested the information.

These are the results of a bid for an optical jukebox which we have
recently procured.  QStar was the successful bidder, and can be
contacted at (301) 564-6006.  The salesman's name is Bill Conners.

Gary also wanted me to warn you that Mr. Conners is the most
persistent salesman he has ever encountered...  ("If you buy
something, he'll be your friend forever")

_Genesis_

Three options given:

1.  $66,990.00				$1.34 per MB
    50 GB

2.  $82,490.00				$1.44 per MB
    57.2 GB

3.  $90,490				$1.58 per MB
    57.2 GB

_QStar Technologies_

$57,000.00				$1.08 per MB
52.8 GB

_Epoch_

$141,915.00				$2.49 per MB
57 GB

_Hewlett Packard_

$75,872.25				$1.33 per MB
57.26

	_RIDER B_

_Response to Specific Requirements_

In addition to meeting the technical specifications outlined below,
QStar will successfully demonstrate hardware and software
functionality on a computer network similar to the existing TCP/IP
network operating within the California Department of Water Resources
(DWR), Division of Planning, prior to final award.

Demonstration of functionality/performance criteria shall commence
upon delivery of equipment and software.  QStar upon being selected by
DWR will successfully demonstrate the functionality/performance
criteria within sixty (60) days of commencement of the demonstration
period.

_Functionality/Performance Criteria_

Total Application Transparency

"The QStar R57G will provide total application transparency, therefore
all existing DWR SUN-based applications will operate normally without
modification."

Data throughput from the drive to the host system must be at least 300
Kbytes per second on reads and 100 Kbytes per second on writes.  These
rates must be sustainable.

"The QStar R57G will provide data throughput from the drive to the
host system at equal to or greater than 300 Kbytes per second on reads
and equal to or greater than 100 Kbytes per second on writes.  These
rates are sustainable."

The jukebox must be accessible from DWR's existing TCP/IP ethernet
network (See attached network Diagram)

"The QStar R57G will be accessible from DWR's existing TCP/IP ethernet
network via NFS."

Unit must be able to transport a disk from slip to drive in less than
5 seconds in the worst-case operating scenario.

"The QStar R57G will transport a disk from slip to drive in less than
5 seconds in the worst operating environment."

Must have data transfer rates of at least 7.4 Mbytes per second.

"The QStar R57G will data transfer rates of at least 7.4 Mbytes per
second.  Please note that the theoretical data transfer rates for
all ANSI/ISO compliant drives is currently 7.4 Mbytes per second."

All platters in the jukebox must be able to be logically mounted,
simultaneously.  For example, after issuing the normal/customary Unix
mount commands for all platters in the jukebox, a Unix "ls" or "cp"
command can be issued to any platter in the jukebox without additional
"move" commands.

"Viewstore's JBScheduler module allows all platter sides to be
logically and simultaneously mounted, regardless of the number of
drives and platters in the jukebox.  As a result, a Unix 'ls' or 'cp'
command can be issued and any file on a mounted platter can be
accessed without user intervention."

Jukebox must not create more than 5 processes on host workstation.

"The R57G will not create more than 5 processes on the host
workstation."

_Technical Specifications_

Magnetic disk space for cache must be		yes _X_	  no ___
configurable

Must be fully NFS compatible			yes _X_	  no ___

Must provide all hardware and software		yes _X_	  no ___
necessary to operate with a SUN
Microsystems computer model 4/260
installed on a TCP/IP NFS network with
other SUN Microsystems computers,
including SCSI interface cards for both
the jukebox and the SUN 4/260

Disk changer must have at least two		yes _X_	  no ___
drives

Must have capacity between 40 GBytes and	yes _X_	  no ___
65 GBytes on optical read/write
cartridges

Software must have an automatic			yes _X_	  no ___
installation program

Vendors must supply SCSI controller		yes _X_	  no ___
software drivers, SCSI cable, power
cord, and manuals (Please see below the
manuals and documentation that will be
provided)
  Hardware
    R57G User's Guide
    R57G Service Manual
    R57G Technical Reference Manual
  Software
    ViewStore User's Guide
    CFS User's Guide
    MOFS User's Guide

Vendor must include media to fully		yes _X_	  no ___
populate the jukebox

Clifford Mather
[email-masked]
(916) 445-9155