Subject: Does text type have a max length?

From: Rod Rebello -- CAD Development <rrebello@titan>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1991 16:57:16 -0700

Is there an upper limit to the number of characters that can be stored in a
text type field (other than memory/disk limitations)?

-- 
Rod Rebello
[email-masked]
Microchip Technology Inc., Chandler, AZ

---

From: [email-masked] (Lewis Berman)
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 91 08:02:24 -0700

Greg,

	Sorry to bother you, but I've just started using postgres and I would
like to know how I can store and character string in as an attribute when
the field width is greater than 16.  I've been using 
	emp (name=char16, ....)

however if I wan't to make the name field bigger than char16 I have been 
using 
	emp (name=char[100],...) but this presents all kinds off
problems when I attempt to do a retrieve, for example where 
name="Lew" since postgres does not (at least I think it doesn't) treat
char[100] as a string.  Do I need to write my own c function that takes
an array of characters as an argument and converts it to a string to do 
the test, or is there some way to so that from postgres iteself?

Thanks,

Lew Berman
NRLNRLNRLNRLNRLNRLNRLNRLNRLNRLNRLNRLNRLNRLNRLNRLNRLNRLNRLNRLNRLNRLNRLN
R                                                                    R  
L  L                                                                 L  
N  L  BBB                                                            N 
R  L  B  B    [email-masked]                             R 
L  LLLLBB     [email-masked]  "NRL...where nuts run loose"  L
N     B  B                                                           N
R     BBB                                                            R
L                                                                    L
NRLNRLNRLNRLNRLNRLNRLNRLNRLNRLNRLNRLNRLNRLNRLNRLNRLNRLNRLNRLNRLNRLNRLN