Subject: postgres 4.2beta available

From: [email-masked] (Paul M. Aoki)
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 94 02:08:15 -0800

s2k-ftp.CS.Berkeley.EDU:pub/postgres/postgres-v4r2.beta/postgres-v4r2.tar.Z

things that were fixed from the alpha release:
	one bad source file
	random file/directory permission issues
	copy command permissions bug
	removed $USER dependencies from scripts
	workaround for hp-ux 9.01 cbrt(3m) bug
	reduced the amount of timestamp/numeric regression diffs by
		filtering the diffs (this is sort of questionable, 
		but it *is* a pain to wade through them..)

there's a split/ directory in that directory, too, that contains
the tar file split into half-MB chunks.

have fun!
--
  Paul M. Aoki  |  CS Div., Dept. of EECS, UCB  |  [email-masked]
                |  Berkeley, CA 94720           |  ...!uunet!ucbvax!aoki

---

From: "John S. Robinson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 1994 11:58:12 -0400

I have been attempting to build postgress on linux 0.99pl12 .

I have noticed that there are some symbols that are globally undefined
	but are not declared as extern. Some examples are yypvt in
	"src/backend/parser/gram.y", and yyvsp. I suspect that these are
	defined in some variant of the libl.a libraries. I have noticed
	that they are not defined in the SunOS version of libl.a . Where
	can I get a copy of a yacc/lex environment that defines these
	variables, or am I on the wrong track here.

---

From: [email-masked] (Kai Petzke)
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 1994 22:31:52 +0200 (MET DST)

> I have been attempting to build postgress on linux 0.99pl12 .

Wait a couple more days.  Linux uses different lexical scanner
(flex) and grammar parser (byacc) than standard unix, and
Postgres has some hacks to the parser, which I had to redo to
get things working with Linux.

They haven't been included in the Postgres distribution, yet,
but I am in the process of cleaning things up, so that these
can be included without a thousend #ifdef __linux__/#endif
combo's.

Kai