Subject: creating classes

From: [email-masked] (Mary Sincovec)
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 92 15:06:18 CDT

When doing a "create myclass(...)", is there a limit on how many fields can
be specified?  While I was doing this, I was not able to enter anymore fields
after the seventeenth field.  I was only able to enter half of the eighteenth
field name.  There was nothing wrong with the computer or keyboard when this
happened.  Has anyone ever encountered this problem?

Mary Sincovec

---

From: Lance Gatrell (303) 977-2052 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 92 09:36:08 -0700

It sounds like you are running from the monitor.  There is apparently an
input buffer size limit that you are reaching.  You should be able to add
the additional fields with the `addattr` command.  

You also see the same behaviour when you try to append records--specifying
values for all of the fields--making a very long line.  Somewhere around
3+ lines you reach the limit.  I've never bothered to find what variable
sets the limit, nor have I counted the limit, but I'm guessing that it
is 255 characters long.

I get around it by using addattr, and when appending, using 'append' on
the first part of the entry, and 'replace' to add the values for the
second half of the entry.  Its messy, but it works.

Lance Gatrell
[email-masked]