Subject: Dan Bidwell's Solaris Port

From: [email-masked] (Leif Neve)
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 1994 13:46:34 +0500

I guess Dan Bidwell never posted info about his port to this
forum. (Perhaps intentionally so? ;-| )

But since I've been getting a lot of queries for the whereabouts of
this port, I hope Dan doesn't mind if I post a copy of his
original letter to me announcing the port. I do this mainly in the
hope that others will try it out and either fix the problems with
the regression tests I'm seeing or show me what I'm doing wrong.

Leif Neve

----- Begin Included Message -----

>From [email-masked] Thu Dec  9 01:03:03 1993
Subject: Postgres 4.1 on Solaris 2.3
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1993 01:03:37 -0500 (EST)

I know that this is long overdue, but again, there hasn't been anyone
paying me to do this.  I have a port of Postgres 4.1 for Solaris 2.3 on
the Sparc architecture.  Part of the reason that I haven't released it
earlier is that it doesn't make it all the way through the regression
tests.  It just hangs and quits.  I haven't been able to find any good
reason for it.

We have used this for a graduate class in database and it worked fine
for this class.

I have since started to attempt to make Robert Withrow's SVR4 port work
on Solaris 2.3.  I have it compiling, but it will not run yet.  I was
hoping that this might be easier then find the problem in the port that
I have done.

I have a complete package of what is need for Solaris on

	elrond.cs.andrews.edu:/pub

There are three files, tared and gziped:

	bmake.bin.tgz which is the binary file and *.mk files for bmake
	postgres.solaris.bin.tgz which is executables for 4.1 on Solaris 2.3
	postgres.solaris.tgz which is a complete source tree

Anyone is welcome to what is here on a what you see is what you get
basis.  If someone can find the problem that is keeping it from passing
the regression tests, I would like to know what the changes are.

I would be happy to try to answer any questions about this port, but I
am not a database person.
-- 
Daniel R. Bidwell	|	[email-masked]
Andrews University	Computer Science & Information Systems Department
If two always agree, one of them is unnecesary
"Friends don't let friends do DOS"
"In theory, theory and practice are the same.
In practice, however, they are not."

----- End Included Message -----

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 94 15:51:02 -0500

> on Solaris 2.3.  I have it compiling, but it will not run yet.

I'll help anyone with my port if I can.  I just can't promise to spend
more than a few milliseconds on it.  I might, but I can't promise...

> I was hoping that this might be easier then find the problem in the
> port that I have done.

What is the problem?

P.S.: I have updated my port since it was originally released, and in
particular, I have greatly fixed the time handling ADT code.  What is
holding me up in releasing the fixed code is the nasty problem of RCS
clashes.  I gather that the Postgres people don't use CVS, but those
who do know what I mean.

The result is that I have to go through the Postgres source tree and
de-activate all RCS headers, re-import this code into CVS, produce
diffs between this and my current baselevel, extract the RCS headers
from the result, commit this into CVS, *and* I have to provide the RCS
de-activating program for users to use before they apply the diffs
when building my port.  This is a major pain. (This is why,
incidentally, you will notice that X Consortium code has munged their
RCS headers.)

This can all be solved by the Postgres developers either a) using CVS
and doing a CVS export to produce the source kit, or b) using the
RCS -kv option when extracting the sources to produce the kit.  I
can't imagine *WHY* the Postgres developers *ARENT* using CVS, but I
can guarantee you than any serious Postgres porter is nuts if he/she
doesn't.  I doubt that *active* RCS headers serve any useful purpose
to any non-Berkeley developer, and they get in the way bigtime if you
*do* use CVS.

The point of this harang is that those people who want Postgres ports
would help those of us who make them if they would lobby the Postgres
developers to do one of the above things when they release the source
code.

---
 Robert Withrow, Tel: +1 617 598 4480, Fax: +1 617 598 4430, Net: [email-masked]
 R.W. Withrow Associates, 21 Railroad Ave, Swampscott MA 01907-1821 USA