Subject: indices on user defined types

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 1995 17:35:55 -0500

I am running postgres-r4v1 on a Sun/Sparc10.
I am trying to use indices with user defined types.
I tried the example in the appendix of 'The POSTGRES User Manual'.
Everything works fine until I try to define an index using the new opclass.
(very last page of the manual)
The following is what happens...
................................

Go 
* define index pairsind on pairs
        using btree (number int4_abs_ops) \g

Query sent to backend is "define index pairsind on pairs         using btree (number int4_abs_ops) "
WARN:Jan 13 17:22:02:fmgr_info: function 0: cache lookup failed

Go 
* define index pairsind on pairs
        using btree (number int4_abs_ops) \g

Query sent to backend is "define index pairsind on pairs         using btree (number int4_abs_ops) "
WARN:Jan 13 17:24:59:Cannot initialize non-empty btree pairsind

Go 
* remove index pairsind \g

Query sent to backend is "remove index pairsind "
WARN:Jan 13 17:25:52:index "pairsind" nonexistent

...............................
...and then if I exit and try to destroy the database the backend starts
spinning its wheels and has to be killed.  The system will no
longer run properly until ipcclean is used.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be?
Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Glenn Iwerks

==============================================================================
   To add/remove yourself to/from the POSTGRES mailing list: send mail with 
   the subject line ADD or DEL to "[email-masked]".
   If this fails, send mail to "[email-masked]" and
   a human will deal with it.  DO NOT post to the "postgres" mailing list.
==============================================================================
              URL: http://s2k-ftp.CS.Berkeley.EDU:8000/postgres/