Subject: [[email-masked]: New Linux diff's ?]

From: [email-masked] (Paul M. Aoki)
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 94 15:35:02 -0800

------- Forwarded Message

 From:  [email-masked] (Kai Petzke)
 To:  [email-masked]
 Subject:  Re: New Linux diff's ?
 Date:  Sat, 9 Jul 1994 22:15:47 +0200 (MET DST)

 > 
 > [email-masked] (Kai Petzke) writes:
 > > If I ever manage to download that file, I will do so and "declare
 > > ownership".  I will release the code back to the public, this time
 > > under the GPL, which allows a wider use than the current Copyright
 > > of Postgres.
 > 
 > hmm.  i'm not a legal type, but it's not clear to me that it's
 > kosher to change the license condition of the basic distribution
 > like that.  by "declare ownership" i meant set up shop as the
 > mainline development site.  before trying to weaken the existing
 > copyright, i would check with a lawyer.
 
 I misunderstood you.  Sorry.  I read your statement "declare ownership"
 as "declare ownership of the code".  This is for example true for
 public domain software, you may grap it, and say, that it is yours.
 I understood you, that Berkeley abondons the project, giving away
 their code into the public domain.
 
 I must not weaken the copyright of Postgres.  That's law.
 
 Nevertheless, I am looking for an agreement, which fits both sides.
 
 My situation is: Currently, everybody who uses postgres not for
 educational/research/non-profit purposes has to contact your
 University.  So everybody who uses postgres for storage of
 commercial data has to contact your University.
 
 I vote for two additional terms:
 - Using Postgres for data storage/retrieval is explicitely allowed,
   no matter, what the data was.
 - The libpq library may be linked to commercial software.
 
 I do not know your situation, eg. the research contracts made for
 Postgres, or how much money you earn from commercial users.  I
 guess, though, that Stonebraker will not like the idea of a
 freeware concurrent to Montage.
 
 My problem is, that I have nothing to give.  All I have done so far
 was to correct some prototypes, make Postgres run under a new
 operating system, fix a handfull bugs and answer a few questions on
 the Postgres list.
 
 What do you think?

 
 Kai

------- End of Forwarded Message
--
  Paul M. Aoki          |  University of California at Berkeley
  [email-masked]  |  Dept. of EECS, Computer Science Division (#1776) 
                        |  Berkeley, CA 94720-1776