Subject: Other uses of postgres?

From: Ted Rodriguez-Bell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 93 15:41:34 -0700

I'm doing a proposal to use Postgres for an astronomy database, and it
would help if we could list some of the marvelous things it's being
used for.  Is anyone outside the Sequoia project keeping using
Postgres for large scientific datasets?

Please e-mail me; I'll summarize to the list.

Ted Rodriguez-Bell                             
Experimental Astrophysics Group
Space Sciences Lab, UC Berkeley
[email-masked]
(510)-643-6214T

---

From: [email-masked] (Lance Gatrell (303) 977-2052)
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 93 17:38:14 -0700

This is heretical, but does accurately represent our experience with Postgres.
The advantages of Postgres are that its free and that it supports user-written
functions.  The disadvantages are that its buggy and there is no support 
(support provided by this mailgroup is spotty--many questions never 
get answered).

Our experience has been that every once in a while our database gets
thoroughly trashed and unusable.  Because it happens with some frequency,
we have created a C program to re-create the database and tables, and 
a shell script to load most of the data (the rest of the data has to
be re-created by executing our program).

I would not use Postgres in a delivered product.  Its great for research
and development products where the developers know how to re-create
their database and having to do so isn't a problem.  Its not appropriate
for critical applications

You make the decision on whether Postgres is for you or not.

Lance Gatrell
[email-masked]