Subject: destroyuser() problem

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 1994 10:10:46 GMT+0200

Hello Postgres Users,

We have just installed postgres version 4.2 on H-P 9000 running HPUX 9.03.
The regression test did not give any strange results. But we got an error 
message when we try to destroy any user. The postmaster was running on the 
same (remote) host as Postgres while the user is on another host. The host 
name (for postgres and postmaster) was stated in the destroyuser command.
Other queries tested so far (e.g., createdb, retrieve, append, destroy, etc.)
worked fine. The destroyuser command also works fine on our old Postgres v4.0.1
(installed on another HP host).  
What are we doing wrong? Any help will be greatly appreciated. 
Below is the list of the commands and queries we excuted.

hp23 24: createuser -h hp31 mahdi  /* hp23 is the user's host and hp31 is 
                                      POSTGRES/POSTMASTER's host */
Enter user's postgres ID or RETURN to use unix user ID: 420 ->
Is user "mahdi" allowed to create databases (y/n) y
Is user "mahdi" allowed to create users (y/n) n
createuser: mahdi was successfully added

hp23 32: monitor -h hp31 test1
Welcome to the POSTGRES terminal monitor

* retrieve (u.usename, u.usesysid) from u in pg_user\g
Query sent to backend is "retrieve (u.usename, u.usesysid) from u in pg_user"
-----------------------------
| usename     | usesysid    |
-----------------------------
| postgres    | 2435        |
-----------------------------
| olajide     | 421         |
-----------------------------
| mahdi       | 420         |
-----------------------------

Go

hp23 25: destroyuser -h hp31 mahdi
WARN:Aug  3 15:29:04:pg_atoi: error in " 420         ": can't parse "         "
destroyuser: database access failed - exiting...

------------------------------------

Jide Kufoniyi         e-mail: [email-masked]
ITC, Enschede
The Netherlands.

==============================================================================
   To add/remove yourself to/from the POSTGRES mailing list: send mail with 
   the subject line ADD or DEL to "[email-masked]"

   If this fails, send mail to "[email-masked]" and
   a human will deal with it.  DO NOT post to the "postgres" mailing list.
==============================================================================

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul M. Aoki)
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 94 12:12:59 -0700

> destroyuser: database access failed - exiting...

this was a problem in the beta release but it should be fixed now.
grab the source again.
--
  Paul M. Aoki          |  University of California at Berkeley
  [email-masked]  |  Dept. of EECS, Computer Science Division (#1776) 
                        |  Berkeley, CA 94720-1776