Subject: postquel functions

From: [email-masked] (Raymond D. Frost)
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 91 07:06:46 -0700

I created the following postquel function:

     define postquel function hobbies(emp) returns hobbies is
     retrieve (hobbies.all) where hobbies.empname = emp.name

I tried to delete the function using:

     remove function hobbies

which returns an error message.

     Query sent to backend is "remove function hobbies "
     WARN:Jul  5 09:51:48:Remove: function hobbies nonexistant
 
yet hobbies_rule appears in the system catalog as a pg_rewrite rule.
Could you please tell me:

	1) how to delete the postquel function.
	2) what the difference is between an instance rule (pg_prs2rule)
	   and a rewrite rule (pg_rewrite).

---

From: [email-masked] (Mike Olson)
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 91 10:18:50 PDT

if you do

	define postquel function hobbies (emp) ...

then you can get rid of the rule by saying

	remove rewrite rule hobbies_rule

but you can't get rid of the attribute that got added to the emp table,
since we don't support removal of attributes yet.

					mike olson
					postgres research group
					uc berkeley
					[email-masked]