Subject: Re: the port list

From: Thomas Krebs <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 93 15:06:14 MESZ

Hi Paul,
a little note to your Port-list:
George B. Kouznetsov sent the port to 386bsd to me to upload it on a ftp-server.
(He does not have a internet connection!)
I have put the diffs to the normal distribution on agate.berkeley.edu into
the /pub/incoming directory.
A student of mine (Volker Paepcke) added diffs to compile the package with a
gcc-2.x.x compiler. Until now these files have not been put in a regular
directory.
If someone is interested in the package or has problems in getting the files
he/she should talk to me.
Bye,
	Thomas
P.S.: As far as I know, Igor Bartchenkov is currently trying a port of version
4.1!
P.P.S.: What about version 4.2? When will it come out? Will it be easier to
port(imake, make, ...)? What about the commercial version?
--
Thomas Krebs
Lehrstuhl fuer Fertigungsautomatisierung und Produktionssystematik FAPS
Universitaet Erlangen
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul M. Aoki)
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 93 04:55:12 -0700

Paul's Private POSTGRES Port-list
                               $Revision: 0.10 $

                 send revisions to: [email-masked]

If no FTP site is listed, send mail to the  contact  person  to  ascertain  the
availability  of  the  code.   Be  aware  that  some  of the contact points are
freelance consultants who have paid UC good money for  their  commercialization
licences, so you may have to pay to get their code.

"In progress" means two things: it's a 4.1 port, and you probably won't be able
to get a copy until it's done.

The old Sun-3 (MC68020, SunOS 3 and 4), Sequent Symmetry (80386, Dynix 3.0) and
Sprite ports are no longer available.

The state of the world is still a bit chaotic because of the earth-shaking tree
reorganization.  The chances of my folding the 4.0.1 ports into our development
source tree and getting it 100% right are slim, especially if I can't test  the
result because we don't own one of the target machines.  Anyway, I'm working on
folding the AIX, NeXT and Linux changes in by hand and I'm waiting to  see  how
extensive the SVR4 changes will be...

These are not official policy statements from, or endorsements by, the POSTGRES
research group.  I work here, but I don't run things.

vendor  cpu        os            postgres       contact
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DEC     MIPS       Ultrix 4.2+   4.1            Berkeley
                                                FTP: postgres.berkeley.edu
DEC     Alpha AXP  OSF/1         (in progress)  Berkeley
                                                [to be released with 4.2]
H-P     PA-RISC    HP-UX 8.07    4.0.1          Richard Turnbull
                                                ([email-masked])
                                                FTP: ftp.csc.liv.ac.uk
H-P     PA-RISC    HP-UX 8.07    (in progress)  Berkeley
                                                [done; to be released with 4.2]
H-P     PA-RISC    HP-UX 9.01    (in progress)  Sebastian Fernandez
                                                ([email-masked])
IBM     RS/6000    AIX 3.2       4.0.1[1]       Rafael Morales Gamboa
                                                ([email-masked])
IBM     RS/6000    AIX 3.2       (in progress)  Anuradha M. Sastri
                                                ([email-masked])
Intel   80386      386bsd        4.0.1[2]       Igor Bartchenkov
                                                ([email-masked])
                                                George B. Kouznetsov
                                                ([email-masked])
Intel   80386      Linux 0.99.7  4.1[3]         Kai Petzke
                                                ([email-masked])
                                                FTP: ftp.cs.tu-berlin.de
                                                FTP: tsx-11.mit.edu
Intel   80386      SCO ODT 2.0   (in progress)  Lance Ellinghouse
                                                ([email-masked])
Intel   80386      SVR4          4.0.1          Robert Withrow
                                                ([email-masked])
Intel   80386      SVR4          4.0.1          Neil McQuaig
                                                ([email-masked])
NeXT    68040      NeXTSTEP 3.0  4.1[2]         Gerben Wierda
                                                ([email-masked])
SGI     MIPS       Irix          3.1            Rowland Johnson
                                                ([email-masked])
                                                FTP: vogon.llnl.gov
Sun     Sparc      SunOS 4.1.1+  4.1            Berkeley
                                                FTP: postgres.berkeley.edu
Sun     Sparc      Solaris 2.1   (in progress)  Daniel R. Bidwell
                                                ([email-masked])
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[1] No dynamic loader.
[2] Single-user.
[3] Tends to crash multi-user.
--
  Paul M. Aoki  |  CS Div., Dept. of EECS, UCB  |  [email-masked]
                |  Berkeley, CA 94720           |  ...!uunet!ucbvax!aoki