Subject: Storage of C++ objects in Postgres

From: [email-masked] (Michel Dagenais)
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 91 11:46:28 -0700

It certainly is possible but relatively difficult. To store
persistent C++ data you need a read and write method for each
class; ideally these methods should be generated directly by the
compiler or should use tables describing the classes and generated by
the compiler (a bit like the default copy-assignment operator).
Otherwise, you need a persistent-object base class and you must
hand code the read/write method for each class.

The second problem is with the pointers between objects. You need
to convert them to object names or numbers or simply map them to
Postgres object identifiers. Finally, if you want to store
methods as well, you need to keep the compiler at run time and
have a live and sophisticated dynamic/incremental linker; dld
from GNU would be a good start for that. The Picasso system in
LISP from Berkeley adresses most of these problems and uses
Postgres as a data repository.

Other than the above mentioned problems, it should be pretty
straightforward :-).