Subject: Failure of append

From: [email-masked] (Raj Vadakkencherry)
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 1994 10:52:54 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

 I'm using libpq calls to append to a database. (PQexec("append ...")).

 The append string passed to PQexec is rather long at times: 15000 chars
 or more. (it is a string of approx. 1000 points, each point represented
 as in 15 chars)

 For such strings, the append fails.
 Any suggestions on how to get around this problem ?

Raj.

==============================================================================
   To add/remove yourself to/from the POSTGRES mailing list: send mail with 
   the subject line ADD or DEL to "[email-masked]"

   If this fails, send mail to "[email-masked]" and
   a human will deal with it.  DO NOT post to the "postgres" mailing list.
==============================================================================

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul M. Aoki)
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 94 12:39:25 -0700

>  For such strings, the append fails.

the parser seems to have some buffers that are currently hardwired to
8KB.  look for "8192" in tmp/miscadmin.h and parser/scan.l and bump
those up to something larger.
--
  Paul M. Aoki          |  University of California at Berkeley
  [email-masked]  |  Dept. of EECS, Computer Science Division (#1776) 
                        |  Berkeley, CA 94720-1776