Subject: README-1.1.A

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 93 16:06:02 -0400

Copyright 1993 by Robert Withrow, Swampscott MA, 01907, USA.
  All rights reserved.

  Permission is granted to copy and use this file for any purpose
  as long as the above Copyright statment is retained in the file.

This is my port (version 1.1.A) of Postgres 4.1 for SVR4.  It has been
tested and found to mostly work on Interactive SVR4.0.3.0.  It may or
may not work on your SVR4 version.

This is not a ``polished'' port, but it is being used in various
projects and seems to work pretty well.  It passes the regression
tests with minor exceptions (due to nonportabilities in the design of
Postgres).

This software comes with *ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTEE*.

If you have a problem with this port, you are free to email me about
it, but unless the problem impacts my use of postgres I probably will
not have time to do much about it.  You would be better off trying to
fix the problem yourself.

If, however, you fix something in this port, *PLEASE SEND ME YOUR
FIXES*, as I will try to keep this up to date, and that will help
others who might want to use this port.

==================== Building this release ===========================

0) Pre-requsites: You need the Postgres V4.1 release from the postgres
group.  You may also need GNU sed, since the one on some SVR4 versions
doesn't work with these sed scripts.  You also need Patch.  I am using
Patch version 2.1 and I know that works.  You also need Perl.  I am
using version 4.19 and I know that works.

1) Put the postgres release somewhere.  Call that place X.  Put the
accompanying shar file somewhere.  Call that place Y.

2) cd X/src/backend/port

3) sh Y/pgsvr4-1.1.a.shar

4) cd X/src

5) patch -p1 <backend/port/svr4/pgsvr4-1.1.A.patch

6) edit X/src/Makefile.global as appropriate.

7) cd X/src/tools/bmake

8) make -f Makefile.boot; make -f Makefile.boot install

9) cd X/src/tools

10) bmake clean; bmake install

11) cd X/src

12) bmake clean; bmake install

13) newbki

14) initdb

============================== Notes =========================

Read the postgress documentation for amplification on the above steps.

Be sure $USER is defined.

If there are any rejects in step 5 be sure you have a virgin release
of postgres 4.1.  There may be fuzz due to an artifact of the
patch-making process. 

Robert Withrow, Tel: +1 617 598 4480, Fax: +1 617 598 4430, Net: [email-masked]
R.W. Withrow Associates, 21 Railroad Ave, Swampscott MA 01907-1821 USA

---
 Robert Withrow, Tel: +1 617 598 4480, Fax: +1 617 598 4430, Net: [email-masked]
 R.W. Withrow Associates, 21 Railroad Ave, Swampscott MA 01907-1821 USA