Subject: Odd result code from PQexec

From: Kent Archie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 93 22:29:24 CDT

>From time to time I get a return value of "I" from PQexec().
I thought the valid results where "R" and "C" followed by the name of the portal
or the command.
In this case, I just get an "I".
The query, in case it gives a clue is:
get_version: the query is :retrieve portal getver (amt_version.ver_num)
  where amt_version.file_id = "add2^junk/add2^add2.ada" and 
  amt_version.amt_table = "struct_tree":
get_version: res= :I:

This should return a value as the table looks like:
monitor -c"retrieve (amt_version.all) where amt_version.file_id = \"add2^junk/ad
d2^add2.ada\" and amt_version.amt_table = \"struct_tree\"" amt

-------------------------------------------
| file_id     | amt_table   | ver_num     |
-------------------------------------------
| add2^junk/add2^add2.ada| struct_tree | 0           |
-------------------------------------------

Any suggestions?
**kent
Kent Archie
[email-masked]

---

From: "Caroline M. Paxson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1993 18:04:51 -0700

You write:
>I thought the valid results where "R" and "C" followed by the name 
>of the portal or the command.

The frontend PQexec() routine can return 'E' (fatal error - the
backend died), 'R' (non-fatal error), 'C<command>', 'BCOPY',
'DCOPY', and 'I'.  'I' means that the query it got was empty.
The backend decides that a query is empty if its first character
is a space and the second character is \0.  The query in your
example seems non-empty to me, but perhaps the first two characters
in your query buffer were as I just described.

Carol Paxson
[email-masked]