Subject: Installation of Postgres Rel 4.2 on Linux

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 95 08:25 EST

I'm working my way through the installation of postgres Release 4.2 on
Linux OS version 1.1.76.  

I've got an undefined variable, yypvt in src/backend/parser/gram.y.
I've searched for a definition of yypvt in the postgres source and
can't find any.

1. Can anyone give me any hints about yypvt?
2. Does anyone have postgres Release 4.2 working on Linux so I might ask
   you other installation questions?
3. Is there anything else I need to do for Linux that's not documented in
   the 'Postgres Installation Instructions'?

-- 
Jeffrey Thompson       Check out Linux-OS Talk Area: telnet moo.du.org 8888
Linux is great!                                      connect guest
                       to talk: say Hello World      @go #11848
                                                     @quit    (when done)

==============================================================================
   To add/remove yourself to/from the POSTGRES mailing list: send mail with 
   the subject line ADD or DEL to "[email-masked]".
   If this fails, send mail to "[email-masked]" and
   a human will deal with it.  DO NOT post to the "postgres" mailing list.
==============================================================================
              URL: http://s2k-ftp.CS.Berkeley.EDU:8000/postgres/

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul M. Aoki)
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 95 20:16:21 -0800

>    you other installation questions?

don't use the standard distribution, use the stuff in
	s2k-ftp.cs.berkeley.edu:/pub/postgres/unofficial-ports/linux
--
  Paul M. Aoki          |  University of California at Berkeley
  [email-masked]  |  Dept. of EECS, Computer Science Division (#1776) 
                        |  Berkeley, CA 94720-1776

---

From: [email-masked] (Kai Petzke)
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 1995 00:02:48 +0100 (MET)

> I've searched for a definition of yypvt in the postgres source and

Make sure, you install Berkeley yacc (byacc), not Bison in
/usr/bin/yacc.  Then your problems should go away.

> 1. Can anyone give me any hints about yypvt?

It is the name of the main parser stack.  yypvt is used by
standard unix yacc, while both bison and byacc use yyvsp.
In case of byacc, the problem is automatically #define'd
away from you in the source file gram.y.

>    you other installation questions?

Make sure you get the real linux port, as found in:

	ftp://s2k-ftp.cs.berkeley.edu/pub/postgres/unofficial-ports/linux
	ftp://marie.physik.tu-berlin.de/pub/linux/postgres
	ftp://ftp.lysator.liu.se/pub/linux/postgres

>    the 'Postgres Installation Instructions'?

If you just grab the binaries for Postgres, then you won't have
problems.

Kai