Subject: help to install postgres on solaris2.2

From: "Aregahegn Negatu (grad)" <[email-masked]>
Date: 3 Aug 94 17:12:35 CDT

Hi gentle men and women,

My system is:  sparc-10, solaris 2.2

I am trying to install postgres.  I used the modified gcc-2.5.8 compiler
as specified in the installation guide of postgres.  The manual confirms
that postgres can be successfully built using the modified gcc compiler
for solaris_2.3.

On my system after building it,  I got the following message when I run
the script "initdb" to create the initial database; i.e:

% initdb
Failed Assertion("!(((i) < (TypeId)_InvalidTypeId))Segmentation Fault -
core dumped

%

Specifically, this error happens when "initdb" calls the executable file
"postgres".

Is there any one who built postgres for sparc_solaris_2.2 using gcc ?
I do not have a near-future chance to get SunPro SPARCompiler and
solaris_2.3,  but I like to get postgres working on my system as soon as
possible.
What do you suggest that I can get it work with what I have?
Thanks a lot for your help!!

==============================================================================
   To add/remove yourself to/from the POSTGRES mailing list: send mail with 
   the subject line ADD or DEL to "[email-masked]"

   If this fails, send mail to "[email-masked]" and
   a human will deal with it.  DO NOT post to the "postgres" mailing list.
==============================================================================