Subject: Minor problems with installing V3R1

From: Peter van Oosterom <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 91 15:05:02 MET

Dear Postgres Group,

There are a few minor problems with installing the new version (v3.1) of
Postgres on a Sparc (SunOS 4.1.1). I have enclosed a listing of these problems
together with the way I worked around them.

Kind regards, Peter van Oosterom.

PROBLEM-----------------------------------------------------------------------
./Make install fails:
compiling lib/libpq/be-fsstubs.c
"/usr2/postgres/src/lib/H/tmp/libpq-fs.h", line 42: redeclaration of stat
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `/usr2/postgres/obj.sparc/lib/libpq
/be-fsstubs.o'

WORK-AROUND--------------------------------------------------------------------
Removing the struct stat (in file /usr/postgres/src/lib/H/tmp/libpq-fs.h)
seems to solve the problem.

PROBLEM------------------------------------------------------------------------
compiling planner/plan/createplan.c
/usr2/postgres/src/lib/H/planner/internal.h: 31: Can't find include file catalog
/pg_index.hble
*** Error code 2
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `/usr2/postgres/obj.sparc/planner/p
lan/createplan.o'

WORK-AROUND--------------------------------------------------------------------
Adding a missing double-quote at the end of line 30 of the file
/usr/postgres/src/lib/H/planner/internal.h solves this.

WARNINGS-----------------------------------------------------------------------
compiling storage/ipc/s_lock.c
"s_lock.c", line 88: warning: asm statement disables optimization
.......(No work around needed)

PROBLEM------------------------------------------------------------------------
linking postgres completed
done
done
make: Fatal error: Don't know how to make target `/usr2/postgres/obj.sparc/LIB.o
'
Current working directory /usr2/postgres
done

WORK-AROUND--------------------------------------------------------------------
An explicit: ./Make OBJ.o seems to solve this.
This step hast to be repeated for UTIL.o, STORAGE.o, and ACCESS.o
Followed by ./Make Postmaster and ./Make install.
By the way, this problem looked familiar (also in v3r0 ?)

KIND-OF-A-PROBLEM--------------------------------------------------------------
It would be nice if the installation manual would state (section 5.1 on
page 11) that after copying libpq.a, one has to run ranlib on libpq.a.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------