Subject: ultrix 4.3 crashes

From: [email-masked] (Dave Cottingham)
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 93 12:14:03 -0800

I've been trying to install postgres 4.0.1 on a decstation 5000 with
ultrix 4.3, but I can't get it to go.  When I get to the part in the
installation instructions about doing "createdb postgres" ultrix
freezes up, and it's time to hit that little button on the back.  Has
anybody out there gotten postgres running under ultrix 4.3?

Here's a quick summary of what I did, in case it suggests where I
screwed up.

1) I used the ultrix4 configuration.
2) In making a new kernel, smmax and smseg are 2048 and 16
respectively, which are larger than the manual says.  I assume larger
is ok.
3) postgres is not uid 6.  The installation says see release notes to
deal with this.  The release notes say nothing.  The release notes for
the previous version (4.0) say any uid is ok.  So I assume this is not
a problem.

Other than that, I think I followed the instructions fairly slavishly.
Any suggestions that anyone can offer will be gratefully received.

Thanks,
Dave Cottingham
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 93 12:23:24 -0800

> anybody out there gotten postgres running under ultrix 4.3?

You didn't screw up.  Ultrix 4.3 crashes when postgres is run.  We've
reduced the problem down to a 4 line test case which DEC has not yet
responded to.

We'll announce when we've gotten a response/patch.

later,
Adam Glass

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 93 12:23:24 -0800

later,
Adam Glass

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 93 10:29:50 -0800

I have NO idea why I recieved the message on Ultrix crashes. The header gave
no indication that it should have come here... I'd recommend resending it,
as the actual intended recipient mightn't have got it. I am certainly not
[email-masked], though, that much I know. ;-)

Strange things are afoot in the mail routers, methinks.