Subject: Help

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 92 08:18:27 -0800

I have installed postgres version 4.0.1 on a sun sparc as per the
instructions given in the manual. But when I try to run postmaster in the
background it gives me the error
IpcMemoryAttach: shmat() failed: Permission denied

Any suggestions as to how to get around the problem??
Thanx in advance.

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 92 09:39:09 PST

> Any suggestions as to how to get around the problem??

you should do an ipcs to see what semaphores and shared memory segments
exist, and who owns them.  the error you're seeing means that the
process is trying to attach shared memory it doesn't own.

if you can't remove the segments that are causing the problem, you can
start the postmaster up on a different tcp port (ie,

	postmaster -p XXXX

where XXXX != 4321), and then do a setenv PGPORT XXXX for all the client
programs.  the shared mem segment keys are computed from a hash on the
tcp port number.
					mike