Subject: Postgres on PC

From: michel bercovier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 92 06:40:43 -0700

Is there a DOS version of Postgres???
If yes what are the soft/hard prerequisite and how can we
get hold of it??  (purpose:teaching using a PC lab...)
Thanks for answer
Prof. M. Bercovier

---

From: [email-masked] (Wolf)
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 92 21:56:45 -0700

I am afraid the answer is no. Postgres is a Unix-based system -
and far too large for a PC, and it requires multiprocessing
capabilities. A PC is simply not capable of handling such an
application.

WDI (Wolf-D. Ihlenfeldt)

---

From: R Michael McMahon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 92 12:12:17 -0700

Is it not feasible to port the libpq functions to DOS and use a PC
application to access a Unix backend? Not that I need to do this, but
it might help Prof Bercovier.

M McMahon  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Christoph Kukulies)
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 92 08:30:44 -0700

>port libpq to DOS ..
in principal, yes. But I guess you will need a 32-bit compiler (GNU)and
a socket library. The latter will be hard to find. The compiler is there.
If the postgres front-end can be compiled under Microsoft C, for instance,
than there would be ftp, Inc.'s TCP/IP socket library. 

--Chris