Subject: explain a warning message, please

From: John Peter Lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1993 16:45:39 -0500 (EST)

Hi -

	This is my first go-around with using Postgres. Please
	bear with me. Thanx in advance !

	I'm using libpq in a C program to build a database. I had 
	created it externally with "createdb", and am appending it
	within my program. I set the db fine, and, using PQexec(),
	I am able to create a relation. OK, so far so good.

	My problem is that each time I append the relation, I get the
	following warning message:

	WARN:Feb 18 16:16:09:typeid_get_relid: Invalid type - oid = 357

	The oid is the same every time I execute the append.

	Can someone tell me:

	1. What this means.
	2. If there is a listing/manual section dealling with all
	   errors and warnings ?

	   thanx.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
JP Lee                 Institute for Visualization and Perception Research	
[email-masked]                  University of Massachusetts at Lowell 
(508) 934-3384				1 University Ave. Lowell, MA 01854

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 93 09:21:25 -0800

> 	WARN:Feb 18 16:16:09:typeid_get_relid: Invalid type - oid = 357

It means you need to put quotes around the attributes.  Most
attributes except numbers need to be quoted, including user defined
attributes.  Text attributes need to be quoted also.

A good hint is to try the query using the monitor and when you get it
to work, cut and paste it into your program.

---
 Robert Withrow, Tel: +1 617 598 4480, Fax: +1 617 598 4430, Net: [email-masked]
 R.W. Withrow Associates, 21 Railroad Ave, Swampscott MA 01907-1821 USA