Subject: Re: Newsgroup instead Of eMail

From: [email-masked] (Hein Veenhof)
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 93 07:10:24 -0800

Hello Paul

Thank you for your support although I did not receive the mail
you have send to pg_adm@postgres. 

About starting a CFV for a newsgroup comp.databases.postgres:

 I think this can only be done by the postgres developers since
 they should be archiving and perhaps moderating such a group.
 They can also better define the purpose (goal, aim) of this
 newsgroup. For those who are not able to access news a mail_list
 should stil be active. Articles posted to the newsgroup could
 automatically be forwarded to the mail_list.

Without the support of the postgres developers a 'new' newsgroup
'comp.database.postgres' will die soon.    

Hein

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul M. Aoki)
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1993 07:32:01 -0800

> you have send to pg_adm@postgres. 

uh, that's because i didn't send it to postgres@postgres, i Cc'd it
to our internal mailing list.  i wanted to see if there was a group
consensus before discussing anything on postgres@postgres.  oh, well.

> 'comp.database.postgres' will die soon.    

the main problem i see is that news is easier to subscribe to, which
means you get more casual readers, which means even more curiosity-
and RTFM-type questions.  unfortunately we (@ucb) are already drowning 
in mailing-list traffic right now.  on the other hand, since we must
already kill several hours a day reading news (while waiting for 
postgres to finish recompiling :-) it may actually make life easier.
but i digress...

anyway, hold off on a mailing-list-wide discussion until we (@ucb) can 
discuss this offline a bit.

if anyone has any profound thoughts about this, just send 'em to me 
for now.  i'll summarize later.
--
  Paul M. Aoki  |  CS Div., Dept. of EECS, UCB  |  [email-masked]
                |  Berkeley, CA 94720           |  ...!uunet!ucbvax!aoki

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul M. Aoki)
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1993 07:32:01 -0800