Subject: Alberi: An OpenLook interface to POSTGRES

From: [email-masked] (Krys Kochut)
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 93 13:46:28 -0700

Alberi:  A Graphical User Interface for POSTGRES

Alberi is a graphical front-end to the POSTGRES database management
system.  It replaces the usual POSTGRES monitor, performing all of the
functions of the monitor, and many more.  Alberi is an OpenLook-based
GUI interface.  Majority of the POSTQUEL commands can be performed in
a "point-and-click, drag-and-drop" fashion.  POSTQUEL retrieve,
replace, append, and delete commands are constructed by graphically
creating expression trees (Alberi means trees in Italian).  Alberi
provides schema browsing capabilities as well.

Availability:

You may get the current release of Alberi from:

  athena.cs.uga.edu  (128.192.4.49)

Ftp as anonymous, giving your e-mail address as the password.
Switch to binary mode and cd to /pub/dist.  Then get the file

  alberi.XX.tar.Z

where XX is the current version number.  You should also get the file
sspkg1.0.tar.Z (see explanation below).

This is a compressed tar file containing the necessary sources and
*some* documentation.  It also includes a version of Alberi
executable generated for SunOS 4.1.2, OpenLook 3.0, and POSTGRES 4.1.

Please, send me a note if you pick up the sources.  I will also
appreciate your comments, hints, and suggestions for improvements:

  [email-masked]

System requirements:

Before you can compile the program make sure you have
the following installed on your UNIX system:

POSTGRES  4.1	(should also work with 4.0.1, and
		after introducing a small change with 3.1)
OpenLook  3.0	(should also work with 2.0)
DEVGuide  3.0*
SlingShot 1.0 	(will not work with 2.0!)
		You must get a corrected version from
		athena.cs.uga.edu (same directory as Alberi), file is
		sspkg1.0.tar.Z.  The SlingShot 1.0 package available
		from export.lcs.mit.edu (and suggested here in
		previous releases of Alberi) contains a bug in
		tree drawing routines and fails in certain 
		situations when used with Alberi.

*) As long as you do not intend to modify screens, you do not
   need DEVGuide.  WARNING: do not run 'make very-clean' in the src
   directory, since it will erase C source files generated by
   DevGuide's gxv precompiler.

===================================================================
The current release is a pre-beta release.  Please report any
bugs/comments/hints/improvements to:

[email-masked]

Please remember, this is not a commercial product:

  NO WARRANTIES EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WHATSOEVER.