Subject: Postquel queries

From: Nabiel Al-Madani <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 93 04:34:46 EDT

Hi,

I have two questions concerning Postquel queries. The first is, are there any
floating point binary operators defined in postgres? I typed the following
query:

retrieve (emp.all) where emp.salary > 35000.00\g

where

emp is defined as: emp(ss_no = int4, salary = float4), and postgres responded
by the following message:

Query sent to backend is "retrieve (emp.all) where emp.salary > 35000.00"
NOTICE:Aug 27 04:09:31:there is no operator > for types float4 and float8
NOTICE:Aug 27 04:09:31:You will either have to retype this query using an
NOTICE:Aug 27 04:09:31:explicit cast, or you will have to define the operator
WARN:Aug 27 04:09:31:> for float4 and float8 using DEFINE OPERATOR

if there is none, then how can I explicitly cast the query.

My second question is about the following query:

retrieve (student.Id) where student.Id = TA.Id or student.Id = RA.Id\g

where student(Id = int4, name = text)
      TA (Id = int4, name = text)
      RA (Id = int4, name = text)

Postgres responded by the following message:

Error: No response from the backend, exiting...

I should mention that I tried the same query with an "and" instead of an "or"
in the where clause and the query produced the right results.

I would appreciate any help regarding the above questions. Thanks and best
regards,

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
     Nabeil Al-Madani                 Computer Science & Engineering
[email-masked]          University of South Florida, Tampa
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=