Subject: postgres_v4

From: [email-masked] (Munib A Qutaishat)
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 92 18:31:36 -0800

Hi,
we heard last week that postgres v4  coming soon - around   1st MAR.
could you please tell us what new features , inhancment provided in 
this release, in particular  the rule system , functions ( C, postquel, or else ),
views, complex type ...
and which platfroms or hardware  most suitable.

Thanks in advance.

Munib A. Qutaishat
[email-masked]

---

From: postarch (Postgres Mailing Archive)
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 92 13:53:32 PST

>this release, in particular  the rule system , functions ( C, postquel, or else ),

The main enhancements in this release will be:

	o better large object implementation
	o more complete postquel function support. Most of the known
	  deficiencies should be eliminated.
	o better complex type support (via nested dots)
	o binary and asynchronous portals
	o speed ups (via indices on system catalogs)

>and which platfroms or hardware  most suitable.

We run on Dec 3100/5000 sparc I/II sun3/4 and sequent symmetry machines.
I like them all so well I can't pick between them (although I should probably
mention that all development work is done on DECstations).

Jeff Meredith
[email-masked]