Subject: Opposite of 'addattr' command ?

From: [email-masked] (Wolf-D. Ihlenfeldt)
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 93 20:23:19 -0800

I have two questions for the Postgres gurus:

Do I miss something or is there no opposite of the
'addattr' command ? I would like to be able to remove
attributes from a class. Is there a way to do this ?
(except copying the whole thing without the attribute marked
for deletion, destroying the class, and renaming the copy) ?

The magical 8K limit: Is it valid for a single attribute, the
whole class, or both ? Can the limit be raised by changing the
include/port/?/machine.h definition of BLCKSZ, or is this more
complicated ?

System: Postgresv4r1 on sparc

Thank you for your help.

WDI

---

From: Mike Olson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1993 10:00:29 -0800

> for deletion, destroying the class, and renaming the copy) ?

attribute deletion isn't supported.  you can do a 'retrieve into' to
create a new table without the attributes you don't want.

> include/port/?/machine.h definition of BLCKSZ, or is this more

redefining BLCKSZ almost certainly won't do the trick.  the limit is
for a single tuple; if you have an attribute that's very large, you
should consider using large objects to store it.  see section 7 of
the manual.
					mike