Subject: Postgres for AIX (comp.unix.aix 30965)

From: [email-masked] (Reinhard Dunkel)
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1993 15:00:17 -0600

Sorry Paul, I messed this one up completely... Now I understand. 

Your POSTGRES Port-list, Revision 0.11 specified an AIX Postgres 
port was in progress and the contact was Anurdha M. Sastri
([email-masked]). The next Port-list I've seen was Revision 
0.17 in which you specified the UC Santa Barbara/CRSEO port was done. 
So I got the impression you would have a working AIX port 
lying around somewhere and would only have to make it available. Now from
your post I understand that you are actually doing the port yourself 
(starting from whatever AIX port attempts are out there). 

I was quite desperate to get a working AIX port. This summer we tried
to base my NMR analysis software (e.g., Dunkel, R. et al. Anal. Chem. 1992,
64, 3133-3149) on POSTGRES rather than flat ASCII files. In June Rafael's 
AIX POSTGRES port was available, nobody had complained about it and my
fist simple tests showed no problems. Well, the resulting XCCBond software we
wrote over this summer runs based on POSTGRES - but is too flaky to be 
useful.

In any event, had I known you were actually working on the port I would
not have bothered you.

Sorry
   __                                      _
  |  )      o       |              |      | \            |        |
  | /    _          |_   _    _   _|      |  |           |     _  |
  |/\   /_) |  ^ ^  | |  _)  |   / |      |  | | |  ^ ^  |_)  /_) |
  |  \_/\___|_| | |_| |_(_|__|___\_|      |_/__|_|_| | |_| \_/\___|

  Department of Chemistry            Office: (801) 581-7351         
  2020 Henry Eyring Building b113    Home:   (801) 582-7516         
  University of Utah                 FAX:    (801) 581-8433         
  Salt Lake City, UT 84112           [email-masked]