Subject: Tell me about.

From: Drunkard Terry <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 1995 01:09:14 +0900

I have some questions.
Please give me info.

1: When I use "append" command as such situation below..

	monitor -TN -c "append ***** " dbname
	or
	monitor -TN -c " ***** " dbname

	Any method for inserting the filename or script in ***** ?

2: How to add/delete the attribute from the class?
	If can't, I have only way [remodify the class] ?
	so,how to copy the data in attribute ? > question 3		

3: When I add the new attribute in the class,
	Any method for copy the old attribute data 
	to the new"same"attribute ?
	for example..

   [old]	class   |  attribute (data)
   -------------------------------------------
		EMP	| name = "Joe","Sam","Bill"
			| salary = 1000,2000

   [new]	class	|  attribute (data)
   -------------------------------------------
		EMP	| name = ""
			| salary = ""
			| age = ""	/* new added attribute */

	The data in old attribute(name,salary) move in
	new "same name" attribute, HOW?

---
:  Drunkard Terry <[email-masked]>
:  Graduate School of Information Science
:  Nara Institute of Science and Technology

==============================================================================
   To add/remove yourself to/from the POSTGRES mailing list: send mail with 
   the subject line ADD or DEL to "[email-masked]".
   If this fails, send mail to "[email-masked]" and
   a human will deal with it.  DO NOT post to the "postgres" mailing list.
==============================================================================
              URL: http://s2k-ftp.CS.Berkeley.EDU:8000/postgres/

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul M. Aoki)
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 95 01:43:06 -0800

> 	Any method for inserting the filename or script in ***** ?

i would use the copy command here, since that (1) does all of the
insertions in a single transaction and (2) is used with an input file.

> 	so,how to copy the data in attribute ? > question 3		

you can add attributes using "addattr".  you can't remove attributes.
you can dump the data out and load it back into a new class, of
course, but then the oids of each row won't be the same.

> 	new "same name" attribute, HOW?

if i understand the question, then this is what always happens when
using "addattr" (old rows keep their old attribute values and have
null values in the new attributes).
--
  Paul M. Aoki          |  University of California at Berkeley
  [email-masked]  |  Dept. of EECS, Computer Science Division (#1776) 
                        |  Berkeley, CA 94720-1776