Subject: Load object into POSTGRES's address space

From: Ravi Lingam <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 93 15:11:10 EDT

I tried to load object ".o" file into POSTGRES's 
address space and got into some problems. 

POSTGRES version: 4.0.1 

I successfully used the following command:

* load "/store3/postgres/demo/circle.o" \g 

I was *not* able to load the exact copy of 
circle.o from my directory:

* load "~/lnj/93Postgres/demo/circle.o" \g 
* load "/home1/grad/lnj/93Postgres/demo/circle.o" \g 

I do not understand what is going wrong. 
Could someone help me in this regard. 

Thanks

Ravi Lingam

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul M. Aoki)
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 93 12:38:46 -0700

> * load "/home1/grad/lnj/93Postgres/demo/circle.o" \g 

this sounds like a unix permissions problem.  

look for directories along the path to the .o file that can't 
be read by user postgres.  i.e., if you have made your home 
directory unreadable to other users, the postgres backend process 
can't access your file.  (in most installations, the postgres 
process runs as the user "postgres", not as you.)
--
  Paul M. Aoki  |  CS Div., Dept. of EECS, UCB  |  [email-masked]
                |  Berkeley, CA 94720           |  ...!uunet!ucbvax!aoki