Subject: new Postgres exe

From: [email-masked] (Eric de Jonge)
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 1994 13:19:23 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi to all Postgres-users,

Is it possible to integrade dynamic load functions into Postgres itself.
(make a new executable)

If so, How? (dynamic loading on a DEC is very slow)

bye,
-- 
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
_/ Eric de Jonge               _/ Phone: +31 15-692225                  _/
_/ TNO-TPD SV                 _/ Fax: +31 15-692111                     _/
_/                           _/ P.O.Box 155                            _/
_/ Email: [email-masked] _/ 2600 AD Delft, The Netherlands         _/
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_//_/_/_/_/_/_/

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul M. Aoki)
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 94 11:10:26 -0700

> Is it possible to integrade dynamic load functions into Postgres itself.

of course, but you have to edit a couple of source files, which
is substantially harder than...

> If so, How? (dynamic loading on a DEC is very slow)

...upgrading to 4.2, which has an ultrix dynamic loader that
is really, really fast.

the main thing you have to edit is src/backend/catalog/pg_proc.h;
if you stare at that for a while and the 4.2 ref manual (which 
explains what the fields means) it should be figure-out-able.
everything else -- function manager jump table, etc. -- is 
generated from that.  then some Makefile.inc (probably 
src/backend/utils/adt/Makefile.inc) would be edited to also point 
to your source file.  HOWEVER -- to insert a function with the oid
desired, you must re-run initdb!  if you're going to build new 
databases, you may as well upgrade to 4.2, hence my comment 
above.  (there are tricky ways around this but they take even 
more time to explain.)

if someone else would like to do a more thorough job of explaining
this, feel free, but i don't have the time right now and we don't 
really support this anyway.
--
  Paul M. Aoki  |  CS Div., Dept. of EECS, UCB  |  [email-masked]
                |  Berkeley, CA 94720           |  ...!uunet!ucbvax!aoki