Subject: SunOS Release 4.1.1

From: [email-masked] (Michael Boehlen)
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 91 11:18:39 N

Shortly we moved from release 4.0.3 to release 4.1.1 on a sun 3/80.
Postgres doesn't seem to work properly with this SunOS release. First
of all the system
is very slow. But then it also fails to answer a lot of queries that
worked fine before.

Someone else who has similar problems?
Has someone a solution for these problems?

Thanks for answering   Mike Boehlen

Some results with SunOS release 4.1.1:
--------------------------------------
* retrieve (pg_class.relname)\g
  => answer time: 1 min 51

* create person (name = char16, age = int4, location = point)\g
  => answer time: 2 min 18

* create emp (salary = int4, manager = char16) inherits (person)\g
  => answer time: 3 min 58

* create p(c0=int4,c1=char16,c2=int4)
* retrieve (r0.all)
  from r0 in p, r1 in p
  where r0.c1=r1.c1
  and r0.c2=r1.c2
  => Error: No response from the backend, exiting...
     (The backend core dumps)

* retrieve (c0=r0.c0+r1.c0, c1=r0.c1, c2=r0.c2)
  from r0 in p, r1 in p
  where r0.c1=r1.c1
  and r0.c2=r1.c2
  and r0.c0=r1.c0
  => Error: No response from the backend, exiting...
     (The backend core dumps)

---

From: [email-masked] ("Lawrence F.M. Lo")
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1991 20:39:19 +1000

This might not be SunOS 's problem, probably it is due to POSTGRES
version 2.1 itself, i have a similar problem before and i m using 
SunOS 4.1 and POSTGRES version 2.3. the following are the mesg. given
by the postgres research gp in Berkely.

version 2.1 of postgres has known reliability problems; the behavior you
describe is one symptom.  what's happening is that shared locking in 2.1
is broken, and processes are sleeping forever, trying to acquire locks that
other processes never release.  for the time being, killing and restarting
the postmaster is the only workaround.  version 3.0 should be out in a
few weeks, and will fix the problems you're seeing.

hope this help.
If you know some more about the workaround solution. Please let me know.

Lawrence Lo. 
Sydney Uni.