Subject: Password Protection

From: [email-masked] (Thomas Croll)
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 92 15:23:42 PDT

Could someone tell me how I attach a passwd to a database?  I'm using
version 3.1 of postgres.

Also, I'm writting an application using C and X-windows talking to a
database using the libpq routines.  Am I right in assuming that you
have to open and close a portal for every retrieve command issued to
the database?

Thanks in advance for any help!

-- 

Tom Croll      "That's not food, that's what food eats!"
                                             -- alf

Boeing Aerospace & Electronics      Internet: [email-masked]
High Technology Center              UUCP: fluke!ssc-vax!bcsaic!elvis!tomc
Embedded Processing Lab                   uw-beaver!bcsaic!elvis!tomc
Phone: (206) 657-8422

---

From: postarch (Postgres Mailing Archive)
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 92 11:05:22 PDT

> Could someone tell me how I attach a passwd to a database?  I'm using

This isn't possible in either 3.1 or 4.0.  Security in postgres is minimal
to non-existent.

> have to open and close a portal for every retrieve command issued to

No.  For example you can have several portals open within a transaction block,
keep them open and do fetches from each as you need to.

	begin \g
	retrieve portal foo (pg_class.all) \g
	retrieve portal bar (pg_type.all) \g
	fetch 10 in foo \g
	fetch 8  in bar \g
	close foo \g
	close bar \g
	end \g

They can remain open inside the xaction block.

Also, it might be worth mentioning here, that if you don't specify a portal,
results are returned all at once in the "blank" portal.

Jeff Meredith
[email-masked]