Subject: enough with the add/delete requests!!!!!

From: [email-masked] (Lee Woodbury)
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 92 13:42:34 -0700

It seems that about 50% of the mail traffic to this list consists of
(improper) requests to be added to or deleted from the list.  A few
points:

1. For the record, such add/delete requests should be sent to

	[email-masked]

   and *not*

	[email-masked]

   Add requests should have "Add" as the subject.  (This is documented
   at the very end of the Postgres Installation Instructions, and to my
   knowledge, nowhere else.)

   Delete requests should have "Delete" as the subject.  (This is, to
   my knowledge, not documented anywhere, though it might be deduced
   from the above.)

2. Is there a possibility that someone at Postgres headquarters
   could add the "Delete" part of the instructions to the
   documentation?

3. Is there a possibility that someone at Postgres headquarters
   could insert something into the mechanism that reads and distributes
   messages sent to the mailing list and filter out (and service) the
   add/delete requests posted thereto, so we don't have this completely
   pointless and erroneous net traffic bouncing around filling up
   mailboxes worldwide?

And finally, and most importantly,

4. Is there a possibility that Postgres headquarters could implement
   this mailing list (or mirror it) as a newsgroup (say,
   comp.databases.postgres or alt.postgres)?  This is a far preferable
   way to receive the information, and would eliminate the add/delete
   requests.

Thank you for considering these points.

Leland Woodbury