Subject: I am installing 4.2 on a sun sparc running SunOs 4.1.3

From: [email-masked] (Ray E. Flanery Jr)
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 94 18:26:42 -0400

everything compiled fine, initdb ran fine, but postmaster crashes with
a segmentation fault. Any ideas?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
                   Raymond E. Flanery Jr., Director
             Advanced Visualization Research Center, ORNL
 (615)574-0630                                     [email-masked] 
 (615)574-0680 fax                        http://www.epm.ornl.gov/~flanery/
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Cleveland Browns
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
  "When the last individual of a race of living things breathes no more,
another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again."
                           --- William Beebe
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
               "Loyalty above all else, except honor"  ---  ??

==============================================================================
   To add/remove yourself to/from the POSTGRES mailing list: send mail with 
   the subject line ADD or DEL to "[email-masked]"

   If this fails, send mail to "[email-masked]" and
   a human will deal with it.  DO NOT post to the "postgres" mailing list.
==============================================================================

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul M. Aoki)
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 94 15:58:25 -0700

> a segmentation fault. Any ideas?

try adding in the patch to src/backend/postmaster/postmaster.c found in:
	ftp://s2k-ftp.cs.berkeley.edu/pub/postgres/unofficial-patches/2
and see if that helps.
--
  Paul M. Aoki          |  University of California at Berkeley
  [email-masked]  |  Dept. of EECS, Computer Science Division (#1776) 
                        |  Berkeley, CA 94720-1776