Subject: Re: about large-object

From: [email-masked] (Case Larsen)
Date: Fri, 08 May 92 08:43:48 PDT

%	I have a problem about access large-object via libpq, Can you help
%    me?
%
%    First, how can i create a large-object in monitor ? Can you give me a
%           
%	   example and step? ( I want to store a audio and graphic file).
%
%    Second, how can i access a large-object via libpq? and how does  i use
%
%	   /usr/postgers/src/storage/large_object/ol_api and lo_utils.
%
%	   can give me a example and step ?
%
%						Wen-Tai    1992.5.8
%

Full large object support, object data stored in relation and all
benefits there of: time travel, transactions, and a unix-like file
system interface will be in release 4, scheduled for June.

-Case Larsen
[email-masked]

---

From: Peter van Oosterom <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 May 92 13:11:35 MET DST

> system interface will be in release 4, scheduled for June.

That is very good news! (for GIS developers)

By the way how large is "large"?

Regards, Peter van Oosterom.

---

From: [email-masked] (Case Larsen)
Date: Sat, 09 May 92 12:55:53 PDT

%By the way how large is "large"?

In theory, as large as a relation can be, but the size of the offset
pointer is currently 32 bits, so 2^32 bytes is the largest object
allowed.

-Case