Subject: db owner

From: [email-masked] (Qi He)
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1993 22:41:18 -0500

I can createdb, but I can not do any operation on the db I created, since the dbis owned by "postgres" user account, not my account?!
Why the database owner is not me, though I created it through my account?!

I can not run my database, and I can not kill the postmaster process either,
though I could start it running. I guess these are the same cause?

Thank you very much for your help!

Qi He
[email-masked]
(pls send mail directly to me!)

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul M. Aoki)
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 93 20:17:03 -0800

[email-masked] (Qi He) writes:
> I can createdb, but I can not do any operation on the db I created, since the
 dbis owned by "postgres" user account, not my account?!
> though I could start it running. I guess these are the same cause?

normally, all of the data is owned by the "postgres" user.  you access 
the data by connecting an application (such as monitor) to processes 
started by the postmaster, which should have the "postgres" user's uid.
you should be able to access the database using the monitor program; you 
should not be able to "ls" or "rm" your data files directly.

if you started the postmaster as "qihe" and it is now running as 
"postgres", then the postmaster has been installed setuid.  if this
is causing you problems, you should talk to the person who installed
the postgres system on your machine (whoever that is..).
--
  Paul M. Aoki  |  CS Div., Dept. of EECS, UCB  |  [email-masked]
                |  Berkeley, CA 94720           |  ...!uunet!ucbvax!aoki