Subject: User security

From: PostGres <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1993 13:40:30 +1000 (EST)

Hi all

I would like to seta single database that any use can create
classes in. However I only want the owner of each class to 
have access to it.

Is there a way that I can set the acl so that it automatically
excludes non owners from any operation, or is it necessary that
each owner have their own database and watch for users trying
to access databases that dont belong to them ?

At this stage I am only using the standard monitor that comes
with the distribution.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanx Glen.

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul M. Aoki)
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 93 10:16:38 -0700

> classes in. However I only want the owner of each class to 

	change acl = myclass

disallows access to "myclass" for anyone but the owner, modulo 
previously-defined exceptions (groups and users already explicitly 
granted access).  see the man page for "change_acl".

of course, pg_class and friends must also be protected, using acls
or controlled use of pg_user.usesuper/pg_user.usecatupd .. see
section 2 of the manual ("unix").

(either this stuff works ok or people have decided that it's totally 
useless -- i haven't seen any bug reports float by..)
--
  Paul M. Aoki  |  CS Div., Dept. of EECS, UCB  |  [email-masked]
                |  Berkeley, CA 94720           |  ...!uunet!ucbvax!aoki