Subject: spog 1.1 available

From: [email-masked] (Juergen Schoenwaelder)
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 92 14:08:58 MET DST

Hi!

Spog is a simple replacement for the postgres monitor. It uses the 
readline library written by the GNU people. Using spog, you can easily 
edit your last query which is very useful during the development of 
'standard' queries.

Version 1.1 now supports postgres 4.0 and has some new stuff. You can
define the default format for attributes and there are two more options:

     -x   Print commands as they are executed.
     -n   Don't read the file ~/.spogrc.

I found them useful for writing some scripts to get info on a postgres
database. The pg_info script runs some queries on the system catalog
to display all datatypes, user defined relations, indexes anmd rules.
Improvements to this script are very welcome since I am not a system
relations expert. NOTE: The joins needed are very very slow. A previous
version did the join in an awk script and it was much faster :-).

You can get spog from ftp.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de [134.169.34.15] in the
file /pub/local/spog-1.1.tar.Z.

						Juergen

---
Juergen Schoenwaelder   ([email-masked])
Technische Universitaet Braunschweig, Inst. f. Betriebssysteme & Rechnerverbund
Bueltenweg 74/75,  3300 Braunschweig, Germany, Tel. +49 531 / 391-3249