Subject: utility to read text files

From: [email-masked] (Mary Sincovec)
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 92 12:25:04 CDT

I am going to create a POSTGRES database and need to populate it with data
that is stored in a large text file.  Is there a POSTGRES utility that will
read such a file, or will I have to write a C program to read the file and
interface with POSTGRES?

Thanks,
Mary Sincovec

---

From: Chris Flatters <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 92 10:46:09 -0700

> read such a file, or will I have to write a C program to read the file and

You can use 

copy <relname> from "<filename>"

to populate a relation from a text file.  You will probably have to massage
the file file with awk or perl to get it into the right format for the copy
command.

	Chris Flatters
	[email-masked]