Subject: Scaling Postgres to larger databases

From: Aaron Roydhouse <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 1994 16:59:28 +1200

In my current application my largest relation contains about 5,500
records, and the relations and associated indices occupy about 20Mb.

In the next few months I want to evaluate my system on a reasonably
sized database. I expect the largest relations to contain about
150,000 records plus indices. Overall I'd estimate it will require
about 600Mb plus working space for queries.

I'd like to hear from anyone using Postgres with databases over 5,000
records or 20Mb, and especially people with over 50,000 records or
100Mb.

Also, if the development team have any comments about the feasibility
of my intentions, I'd really appreciate any advice.

I'll summarise and mail to the list.

Thanks,
Aaron.

---

From: [email-masked] (David G. Boney)
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 94 05:51 CST

Hi,
	I am building a database to handle I large number of neural
network and signal processing simulations on ECG data. Per experimental
series I will generate 500 to 5000 sets of experiments and will store
all the experimental results. I expect this to get into the 100MB range.
Most my need are just data storage of the experiment options and
storing the results. In terms  of queries, I just have a simple question
of which experiment produce the best results. I don't expect the
queries to be to demanding. Probably the most taxing process will be to
generate the 500 to 5000 sets of options from some meta-experiment data.
I will post a note in a month or two when I get it working. In all
honesty, I don't expect it to be very trying for the system. I hope ;-)

P.S. I am running on a 486/DX2 running Linux.

Sincerely,

David G. Boney

American Heart Association Medical Student Research Fellow
Texas Tech School of Medicine

[email-masked]       Texas Tech University
Ph. 806-742-1191        Department of Computer Science
Fax 806-742-3519        Lubbock, Tx. 79409     USA