Subject: Getting OID

From: [email-masked] (Djamal Bennouar)
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 91 08:46:28 -0800

Dear Postgres Designers
  I would to know if there is a way to get the OID of an instance in the same
time of it creation
Thank you

Djamal BENNOUAR
Ecole Polytechnique de Montreal
Dept Genie elctrique et informatique

---

From: postarch (Postgres Mailing Archive)
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 91 09:20:23 PST

>   I would to know if there is a way to get the OID of an instance in the same

As of now there isn't.  If you follow the mailling list you will know that
the idea of returning the oid as part of the string returned by PQexec() is 
currently being tossed around.  I don't think this idea would be suited to 
giving the oid value for anything except append commands. Copy, replace and 
'retrieve into' commands can update a very large number of tuples and 
therefore cause extremely long return strings to be sent. The primary 
purpose of the return value on these queries is merely to inform the 
front-end that the command executed correctly.  Clearly, Sending large 
amounts of unused data over a network is not going to help you break any 
speed records ;-)

Jeff Meredith
[email-masked]