Subject: Does postgres supports client/server setup?

From: [email-masked] (Toncan Duong)
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 1994 11:23:03 +1000 (EST)

Hi,

We would like to install postgres in a server/clients architecture.
Meaning that the backend will be at the server machine while around 40
clients machines handle the front end such as monitor, c procedures, etc.

Is that possible???

I haven't managed to find anything in the installation manual relevant to
the matter. Your comment will be most appreciated.

thanks in advance

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul M. Aoki)
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 94 17:49:05 -0800

yes, you can run frontends and backends on different machines.  in
general you can't go across architectures (although it will work
between, say, two big-endian machines like h-p's and suns, or two
little-endian machines like alpha and mips decstations).

[email-masked] (Toncan Duong) writes:
> the matter.

the 4.2 user manual, on the other hand, even has a little picture 
that shows how the processes are divided up.

it's a good idea to print out doc/manual.ps (you may as well print 
doc/ref.ps, too).
--
  Paul M. Aoki  |  CS Div., Dept. of EECS, UCB  |  [email-masked]
                |  Berkeley, CA 94720           |  ...!uunet!ucbvax!aoki