Subject: Avoiding memory leaks

From: Olaf Gerloff <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1993 17:46:26 +0100 (MET)

Hello Gurus,
I have two questions about avoiding memory leaks in a libpq based application:

1. Must I free the storage claimed by a portal with PQclear, or is this done
   implicit, if I send the Postquel 'close' command to the backend?
2. Is the storage, which contains the result of PQgetvalue, allocated by
   malloc? Will it be overwritten by another call of PQgetvalue? So, must
   I copy the returned attribut-value, or can I store the returned pointer in
   my application?

Thanks for your help!

Greetings, Olaf
-- 
******************************************************************************
* Olaf Gerloff                     *    Impossible things will be executed   *
* Technical University Berlin (FRG)*    immediately, miracles take a little  *
* Department of Computer Science   *                 longer!                 * 
* Computerbased Informationsystems *                                         *
******************************************************************************
* Internet: [email-masked]    or   BITNET: GERLOFF@DB0TUI11         *
******************************************************************************