Subject: some problems encountered when following the user manual

From: [email-masked] (Toncan Duong)
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 92 23:56:55 -0700

hi

just few problems that have encountered and your help will be appreciated.

1. user manual, page 19 : after type int_arrays is defined and several records are appended, the query of
retrieve (stuff.a[1]) where stuff.a[1][1] < stuff.a[1][2] fails and error message is "parser:syntax error at
or near "[".
Actually, any syntax that involves array[i][j] will fail.

2. user manual page 10 : define function manager... fails when create as it is written on the manual.
However, by swapping the order to ... and $1.dept=DEPT.name works.

thanks in advance...

---

From: postarch (Postgres Mailing Archive)
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 92 11:57:53 PDT

you write:

> 1. user manual, page 19 : after type int_arrays is defined and several record
 +s are appended, the query of
> retrieve (stuff.a[1]) where stuff.a[1][1] < stuff.a[1][2] fails and error mes
 +sage is "parser:syntax error at
> Actually, any syntax that involves array[i][j] will fail.

When version 4 was being put together one of things we decided to do was
try to clean up the implementation and support for arrays.  Our time ran
short and we did not manage to finish everything.  The painful way to get
multi-dimensional arrays (outlined in the manual) was removed and we didn't
get a chance to do the clean implementation.

As of 4.0 only single dimensional arrays are supported. Sorry.

> 2. user manual page 10 : define function manager... fails when create as it i
 +s written on the manual.
> However, by swapping the order to ... and $1.dept=DEPT.name works.

This seems kind of fishy.  I will look into it.

Jeff Meredith
[email-masked]