Subject: remove operator fails

From: [email-masked] (Mahlon Stacy 4-4558)
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 92 12:55:01 -0700

I have created an operator,

define operator = (arg1 = _char, arg2 = _char, commutator = "=", negator = "!=",
procedure = sequal)

When I wish to remove this, I get the following:

* remove operator = (_char,_char) \g

Query sent to backend is "remove operator = (_char,_char) "
Error: No response from the backend, exiting...

Is there a workaround?

	-Mahlon
-------------------------------------------------------------
Mahlon Stacy                   Internet:   [email-masked]
Mayo Foundation                Amateur:    KF0AW
Rochester, MN 55905            Medical Science Bldg 1-29
(507) 284-4558                 FAX (507) 284-1428
-------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: postarch (Postgres Mailing Archive)
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 92 14:10:15 PDT

you write:
> define operator = (arg1 = _char, arg2 = _char, commutator = "=", negator = "!
 +=",
> Error: No response from the backend, exiting...

I can't reproduce this.  Can you look for a core file under
$POSTGRESHOME/data/base/<dbname>  and send a stack trace if it exists?

> Is there a workaround?

yes:

	delete pg_o
	from pg_o in pg_operator, pg_t in pg_type
	where pg_o.oprleft = pg_t.oid and
	      pg_o.oprright = pg_t.oid and
	      pg_o.oprname = "=" and
	      pg_t.name = "_char" 

Jeff Meredith
[email-masked]