Subject: size for btree indices

From: Stan Yates <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 92 13:48:43 -0700

I am trying to build a btree index on a relation of 500 records.  To give
some idea of the size, doing wc on the relation yields 163,840 bytes
(54   16739  163840 title).  The attribute on which I'm building the index
is of type text so I'm using text_ops.
    If I load only the first 350 records, the index builds ok.  If I load
only the last 150 records, the index builds ok.  But if I load the first
450 records and then try to index them, the backend terminates with the
following error:
Error: No response from the backend, exiting...
    My conclusion, therefore, is that the problem is in the size of the
relation and not in the data itself.  Is there a limit on the size of
a relation which can be indexed?  Is this what you intend?

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 92 14:08:04 PDT

> a relation which can be indexed?  Is this what you intend?

no such limit exists.  the postgres backend is crashing when it tries
to build your index.  there were some bugs reported in the text_ops
operator class in 4.0, which have been fixed in the upcoming 4.0.1
release.  it's hard to say whether these would have caused the crash
you report, but it's possible.  if you could send us a stack backtrace
(the core file is in $POSTGRESHOME/data/base/your_db_name) we might
be able to say something more definitive.

					mike olson
					project sequoia 2000
					uc berkeley
					[email-masked]