Subject: Re: Still problems with regression test

From: [email-masked] (Paul M. Aoki)
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 94 23:17:25 -0700

[email-masked] (Wolf-D. Ihlenfeldt) writes:
> Didn't you just write something about fixed directory permissions ?
> This directory (created under user postgres in the normal
> installation procedure) hast the following permissions:
> wolf@hexane% ll -d obj
> drwxr-xr-x   2 postgres general       512 Apr  4 14:45 obj/

mmm.. well, i'm not sure what you mean by "normal" installation
procedure, but the beta installation notes say:

        Extract  POSTGRES from the tar file using the following com-
        mand:
            % tar xvfp postgres-v4r2.tar

to prevent problems like this.  the "p" option preserves file permissions
from the tar file, and we make that directory mode 777 in the tar file:

faerie:aoki (518)> gtar tvzf postgres-v4r2.tar.Z | egrep regress/regress/obj
drwxrwxrwx 2435/18           0 Apr  1 14:52 1994 src/regress/regress/obj/
faerie:aoki (519)>

we have to do this because the person running the test needs to be
able to create files and "postgres" needs to be able to create files.
(this is true of any directory into which you want to run the copy
command.)
--
  Paul M. Aoki  |  CS Div., Dept. of EECS, UCB  |  [email-masked]
                |  Berkeley, CA 94720           |  ...!uunet!ucbvax!aoki