Subject: Postgres 4.01 lives in 386bsd

From: boojoom <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 93 06:26:24 -0700

Postgres 4.01 lives in 386bsd. 

In fact, this means you could play with it on PC/386
with as little as 8M RAM and 100M disk. The port lacks
multiuser support. We are using it and the only problem 
emerged thus far is some strange bug with i387 coprocessor. 
Supposedly, the bug is in 386bsd itself because similar 
problem appears then running some other applications. Due 
to damned PC architecture that kind of bugs are extremely 
difficult to trace and fix.

Dynamic loader and some IPC facilities are home-made of 
course. Sources were heavily massaged to get them through
gcc and to meet 386bsd requirements. 

The porting was started too late to finish it. We are
considering to port v4r1 now. Nevertheless, with XFree86 
(that requires more disk space) one can create very affordable
workstation for education and developement.

We are serious about continuing the work. But -- note we are 
in Russia. Still everithing is possible here. For now,
it's not that easy even go get this port available to you
outside.

First, we'd like to see how many guys (male or of any other 
gender) are interested in. Please give us e-mail if you do. 
Perhaps somebody could offer place on anonymous ftp site.
The task of getting postgres to 386bsd looks promising,
but problems are still too numerous. We could send you more
comprehensive review.

Personally responsible for this port is Igor Bartchenkov

	[email-masked] 
 
You could also contact me 

George B.    || Voice/Fax/Modem.....(011 7 095)  903 1603
Kouznetsov   || [email-masked]
_____________|| 201, 10 Kargopolskaya st., Moskow, Russia