Subject: Help. Hidden information during query without filter

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 94 21:25:06 +0800

We have a table of about 1500 records size. We discovered that when we
query the table without any filter, it gives us ~ 160 records. However,
when we query the table with each filter separately, it gives us the
total 1500 records as we add up the individual query all together. Is
there any problem of some kind of buffer overflow? We did not encounter
this problem when the size of the table was small. 

I will be very appreciate it if you can give me some clue to solve this
problem. Thanks.

Alan S. H. Lam
Department of Information Engineering, CUHK, Hong Kong
E-mail: [email-masked] 
Tel: (852) 609 8364 Fax: (852) 603 5032

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul M. Aoki)
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 1994 09:13:50 -0800

[email-masked] writes:
> Is there any problem of some kind of buffer overflow?

nope, that's a new one on me.  there are known problems with joins
of large tables (now fixed) and index retrievals (now fixed) but not
with scans without qualifications.

if you can reproduce this, please send much, much more information
(hardware, OS, exact schema and queries and some/all of the data) to 
bug-postgres@postgres.  thanks.
--
  Paul M. Aoki  |  CS Div., Dept. of EECS, UCB  |  [email-masked]
                |  Berkeley, CA 94720           |  ...!uunet!ucbvax!aoki