Subject: Slow catalog queries

From: [email-masked] (Krys Kochut)
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 92 15:44:47 -0800

Hi,

I just installed Postgres Version 4.0.1 and it seems to work just
fine.  However, any query involving the catalog class pg_attribute
takes a very long time (on the order of 30-40 secs, or longer).
It is happening on a one-user Sparcstation 1+ with 16MB memory and a
"usual" collection of only system-related processes.  The database
contains only the 'demo' database included with the distribution.

The type of query I am talking about is for example the following:

retrieve (t.typname) from t in pg_type, a in pg_attribute, r in pg_class
        where r.relname = "stud_emp"
              and a.attrelid = r.oid
              and a.attname = "salary"
              and t.oid = a.atttypid

Has anyone out there experienced similar behavior?  What is the
problem?

Thanks.

-- Krys Kochut
   
   [email-masked]