Subject: Problems with postgres

From: [email-masked] (Ted Frohling)
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 92 16:57:13 -0700

Hi,

I recently upgraded to SunOS 4.1.2 and now postgres doesn't seem to want 
to run.  

I startup postmaster in the rc.local file but it core dumps with a memory
violation.  After the system boots, as root I start up postmaster by hand
and it runs or seems to.  

I then try to create the first database.

~/postgres/bin/createdb postgres as user postgres
and get the following error message:

FATAL 1:Jun 9 08:40:31:AttachSLockMemory: could not attach segment

createdb: database creation failed on postgres.

I have reconfigured the kernel and rebooted using it.

Any clues out there??

ted

---

From: postarch (Postgres Mailing Archive)
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 92 09:24:44 PDT

> I have reconfigured the kernel and rebooted using it.

I run postgres under SunOs 4.1.2 on our sparc I and things have worked fine.
Are you starting the postmaster as root?  You might try starting as postgres. 
Failing this, you can try (saving your data directory) reinstalling from
scratch.

Jeff Meredith
[email-masked]