Subject: Rafael's AIX Postgres port

From: [email-masked] (Reinhard Dunkel)
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1993 19:13:49 -0600

I picked up revision 0.11 of your POSTGRES port-list from
postgres.Berkeley.EDU. With interest I read that you will try to
incorporate the AIX changes (Rafael's?)  into the Postgres 4.0.1
source tree.

We work on incorporating Rafael's AIX Postgres version in our
(research) NMR spectral analysis software. Rafael has been extremely
helpful in compiling and installing his AIX version on our RS/6000s.
His ftp version of Postgres 4.0.1 had problems and I gave him the
postgres password on our machine and he successfully installed
Postgres.

Unfortunately Rafael is not interested in using Postgres (?!).
There are still problems with his port which become obvious when trying
to run Postgres. Rafael does not seem to be interested in fixing
these problems.

The problem which kept us from using Postgres is that every opening and
closing of a database through libpg.a produces one defunct process.
For example every time ~postgres/sample/pgstats is run four or five
new defunct processes are created. The defunct processes accumulate,
the postmaster dies (can't fork any more) and the port is hung. So
it is rather impossible to use this AIX port.

Should you discover a fix for this "defunct process" problem or have
a hint on how to make this Postgres port work - please drop me
a note.

Thanks a lot
   __                                      _
  |  )      o       |              |      | \            |        |
  | /    _          |_   _    _   _|      |  |           |     _  |
  |/\   /_) |  ^ ^  | |  _)  |   / |      |  | | |  ^ ^  |_)  /_) |
  |  \_/\___|_| | |_| |_(_|__|___\_|      |_/__|_|_| | |_| \_/\___|

  Department of Chemistry            Office: (801) 581-7351         
  2020 Henry Eyring Building b113    Home:   (801) 582-7516         
  University of Utah                 FAX:    (801) 581-8433         
  Salt Lake City, UT 84112           [email-masked]