Subject: Message passing version of Postgres

From: [email-masked] (Bodo Parady - SMCC Architecture Performance Group)
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 1994 12:08:26 +0800

Is anyone looking into writing a message passing version of Postgres using
MPI or PVM?  Thanks.

Bodo Parady                   | (415) 336-0388
SMCC, Sun Microsystems        | [email-masked]
2550 Garcia Ave., MTV15-404   | Alt:  [email-masked]
Mountain View, CA  94043-1100 | FAX: (415) 336-4636

==============================================================================
   To add/remove yourself to/from the POSTGRES mailing list: send mail with 
   the subject line ADD or DEL to "[email-masked]"

   If this fails, send mail to "[email-masked]" and
   a human will deal with it.  DO NOT post to the "postgres" mailing list.
==============================================================================

---

From: Sean Levy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 94 13:37:51 EDT

We have looked at modifying postgres to use ISIS as its communications
subsystem instead of sockets.  The diffs would be rather complex, and
we have some pretty severe time constraints, so we backed off and are
now pursuing a strategy of leaving postgres itself alone, but some
server programs which are accessed via ISIS and which themselves talk
to postgres via the normal libpq mechanisms.  Our implementation is
not quite up yet, but it looks like it is a workable solution although
not as scalable as it would've been if ISIS had been in there at a
lowlevel.  As PVM doesn't really address scalability, though, this
probably wouldn't be an issue for you.  In principle, the same
approach could be taken with PVM for a "cheap" first shot.  I'm not
familiar with MPI.

Good luck,
				-- Sean