Subject: vacuum

From: [email-masked] (Banco de Dados Ambiental)
Date: Tue, 5 May 92 12:02:55 -0700

I am trying to vacuum (v3r1) a database and I am quite sure I have no other vacu
   um cleaner running. Why do I receive this message?

Query sent to backend is "vacuum "
WARN:May  5 16:37:57:can't create lock file -- another vacuum cleaner running?

Can someone tell me more about the vacuum cleaner?

---

From: postarch (Postgres Mailing Archive)
Date: Thu, 07 May 92 16:53:06 PDT

you write:
> I am trying to vacuum (v3r1) a database and I am quite sure I have no other vacuum cleaner running. Why do I receive this message?
> 
> WARN:May  5 16:37:57:can't create lock file -- another vacuum cleaner running
 +?
> Can someone tell me more about the vacuum cleaner?

In order to guarantee that there is only one vacuum cleaner command running
at a time the backend creates a file "pg_vlock" in the database directory.

If this file already exists the current vacuum command aborts assuming that
another vacuum is currently being run.  If a vacuum command caused a crash
it is entirely possible that the pg_vlock file was not removed.  If you are
sure there is no vacuum running you should remove the pg_vlock file by hand.

Jeff Meredith
[email-masked]