Subject: POSTGRES Experiences Please!

From: [email-masked] (Leif Neve)
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 92 13:44:50 -0800

We are considering using POSTGRES on a project at the National Library
of Medicine. We need to gain some confidence in the product, however.
We need to be assured that we won't be spending a good percentage of our 
time struggling to fix this product itself (and not our application).

Our needs are fairly minimal. We will have from 10-20k records in
the database with 10-20 fields each. About 6 remote workstation users will be
accessing the database (presumably running applications written using
the LIBPQ functions) through a TCP/IP connection. Everyone will be
running the latest version of SunOS on Sun workstations.

Does anyone have any experiences good or bad with this product that they
are willing to share? 

Specifically, are you happy with what (if anything) is provided in the
way of crash recovery procedures?

Have you used the LIBPQ routines to program remote applications? Are they
easy to use and do they work reliably?

I have C and C++ programming experience, but no real database programming
training? Can I learn what I need to know from manuals provided in the
release? If not, where should I go for training?

What kind of experiences have you had using Picasso as your GUI builder for
your POSTGRES application?

Thanks for any and all help!

--Leif Neve
National Library of Medicine
Bethesda, MD
[email-masked]