Subject: ultrix 4.3 crashes

From: [email-masked] (Dave Cottingham)
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 93 12:14:03 -0800

I've been trying to install postgres 4.0.1 on a decstation 5000 with
ultrix 4.3, but I can't get it to go.  When I get to the part in the
installation instructions about doing "createdb postgres" ultrix
freezes up, and it's time to hit that little button on the back.  Has
anybody out there gotten postgres running under ultrix 4.3?

Here's a quick summary of what I did, in case it suggests where I
screwed up.

1) I used the ultrix4 configuration.
2) In making a new kernel, smmax and smseg are 2048 and 16
respectively, which are larger than the manual says.  I assume larger
is ok.
3) postgres is not uid 6.  The installation says see release notes to
deal with this.  The release notes say nothing.  The release notes for
the previous version (4.0) say any uid is ok.  So I assume this is not
a problem.

Other than that, I think I followed the instructions fairly slavishly.
Any suggestions that anyone can offer will be gratefully received.

Thanks,
Dave Cottingham
[email-masked]

---

From: Geoff Tuffli <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 93 18:25:05 -0800

I think you made an error with the email address and sent it
to the wrong person...

	Geoff Tuffli
	The Green Griffin

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue Feb 02 12:18:05 1993

I don't know how my name got on this mailing list -- I don't even know
what postgres is.  Please remove me.