Subject: Linux release of Postgres

From: "John M. Votilla" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 94 13:20:00 PDT

Can anyone tell me where I can download a Linux port of Postgres?

sunsite.unc.edu has a copy in /pub/Linux/packages/database/postgres, but the 
two following files appear to be corrupted:
postgres4.0.1A.bin.tar.z   and
postgres4.0.1a.src.tar.z

Has anyone been able to successfully decompress these files? Where can I 
download them from? Also, is there a later version available?

Thanks,
Mike

==============================================================================
   To add/remove yourself to/from the POSTGRES mailing list: send mail with 
   the subject line ADD or DEL to "[email-masked]"

   If this fails, send mail to "[email-masked]" and
   a human will deal with it.  DO NOT post to the "postgres" mailing list.
==============================================================================

---

From: [email-masked] (Kai Petzke)
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 1994 21:44:58 +0100 (MET)

> Can anyone tell me where I can download a Linux port of Postgres?

s2k-ftp.cs.berkeley.edu:/pub/postgres/unofficial-ports/linux
ftp.lysator.liu.se:/pub/linux/postgres
ftp.fu-berlin.de:/pub/unix/linux/packages/postgres

Get the two files named "newbie?.tar.gz" for an easy to install version.

> Has anyone been able to successfully decompress these files?

Did you download in ASCII or BINARY mode?

> Where can I 

Sorry, I virtually cannot upload from my site to tsx-11 or sunsite.
At 300 Bytes/sec effective bandwidth, I can't do much more than view
directory contents.  International ftp is just too slow.  This problem
shall be fixed in November, when the tu-berlin.de site gets an
2-Megabit/sec IP-Link to Internet.

So I am dependant on the help of others.  Thanks to the help of Paul,
Lars Aronsson and Wolfgang Jung, I got the list of ftp sites above.
I asked the admins of tsx-11 to help, too.  No response.

But if someone out there just copied the files from lysator or fu-berlin
(which are a bit more up-to-date than s2k-ftp) to tsx-11 and sunsite?

Kai

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul M. Aoki)
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 94 17:47:41 -0700

> (which are a bit more up-to-date than s2k-ftp) to tsx-11 and sunsite?

i just updated
	s2k-ftp.cs.berkeley.edu:/pub/postgres/unofficial-ports/linux
(including the newbie files) from lysator.
--
  Paul M. Aoki          |  University of California at Berkeley
  [email-masked]  |  Dept. of EECS, Computer Science Division (#1776) 
                        |  Berkeley, CA 94720-1776