Subject: Re: SQL

From: [email-masked] (Alfredo Sanchez)
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 92 15:17:07 -0800

[email-masked] (Christoph Kukulies) writes:

>	Could anyone explain why postgres does not supply SQL facility?
>	--Chris

i asked a similar question some time ago, so i think i can repost 
jeff meredith's answer:

	Date: Tue, 24 Sep 91 16:09:06 PDT

	> >From one of the statements in another paper by Stonebraker
	> (Future Trends in Data Base Systems, 19??: "Why the 
	> current SQL standard has no chance of lasting"), I suspect
	> there is no intention to support SQL in Postgres. Is that
	> correct?

	You are right about SQL although not for the reason you list
	above.  We have actually had a lot of pressure from our users
	to support SQL but have not done so simply because there is 0
	research value in it.  There is a grad student in Georgia who
	is currently working on it, but anything he produces will of
	course be unsupported by us (we will distribute it in our
	"contrib" directory as part of a release).

	Jeff Meredith
	postgres research group
	ucb
	[email-masked]

best regards,

J Alfredo Sanchez H
-------------------
Hypertext Research Lab
Department of Computer Science
Texas A&M University