Subject: Access to db/class from postmaster/packend ?

From: Wojtek Bogusz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 1994 18:36:57 +0200 (MET DST)

Hello,

 Two related questions:

 1. How one can create a kind of system database like pg_user which is
visible as a class from all of the databases ? (I just think "pg_user" 
works like this. May be I am wrong ? And where one can read about it ? :-)

 2. Is it possible to access and query a database/class like above (like
pg_user) from postmaster, while processing user authentication procedures ?

 I am thinking about some thing like this: user procedure which do the
authentication for postgres gets user name and "password" (may be more).
It should consult this data with information from some
"pg_authentication_database". 

 Does exist any standard way of querying database from postmaster and/or
postgres backend ? 

 Thank You,
 Wojtek 

==============================================================================
   To add/remove yourself to/from the POSTGRES mailing list: send mail with 
   the subject line ADD or DEL to "[email-masked]"

   If this fails, send mail to "[email-masked]" and
   a human will deal with it.  DO NOT post to the "postgres" mailing list.
==============================================================================