Subject: OSF/1 installation...

From: Xinguo Wei <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 1994 14:31:25 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I installed the final version of Postgres onto our Dec Alpha OSF/1 
machine.  This time it passed the initdb command but failed at the 
postmaster command with the following message:

% IpcMemoryAttach: shmat() failed: Permission denied

Does anybody have any ideas on this one?  Thanks.

Xinguo Wei

==============================================================================
   To add/remove yourself to/from the POSTGRES mailing list: send mail with 
   the subject line ADD or DEL to "[email-masked]"

   If this fails, send mail to "[email-masked]" and
   a human will deal with it.  DO NOT post to the "postgres" mailing list.
==============================================================================

---

From: Paul Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 1994 15:17:09 -0800 (PST)

> Does anybody have any ideas on this one?  Thanks.

  REF: Postgres Reference Manual, pg 33.

   'A likely explaination is that another user attempted to start a
    postmaster process on the same port which acquired shared resources
    and then died.'

   Given that the previous attempt resulted in an ugly *splat* this
   seems plausible.

   Try running 'ipcclean' and doing it again.