Subject: STANDALONE INSTALLATION???

From: [email-masked] (Banco de Dados Ambiental)
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 91 05:11:12 -0800

Hi,
I am urged to have postgres installed as a standalone configuration. I dont know
    what to do to overcame the port concept in this case.
Excuse me if this is a very naive question?

Joao Pedro

INPE - Brasil - Sao Jose dos Campos
[email-masked]

---

From: postarch (Postgres Mailing Archive)
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 91 11:09:51 PST

> what to do to overcame the port concept in this case.

I'm not sure that I understand your question.  You want to run postgres
"standalone," but we don't really provide a specific standalone mode of
operation.  You can run the backend by itself (i.e. without going through
the postmaster) but this is not a supported means of using the system.
This is primarily intended for development purposes and makes it easier
to debug.

You can have exclusive access to Postgres just by not adding any users 
except yourself.  Only people explicitly added via createuser are permitted
to use the system.

Jeff Meredith
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 91 15:55:39 -0500

>>except yourself.  Only people explicitly added via createuser are permitted

I have a quick question about that. Because postgres does not do any kind
of network security check, can't anyone on the network who knows that
you're running postgres, compile libpq and access any of the postgres
data.

I was toying with postgres a few months ago and I seem to remember that I
was able to do that.

Paul.

---

From: postarch (Postgres Mailing Archive)
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 91 09:59:34 PST

> you're running postgres, compile libpq and access any of the postgres

You are correct.  We have yet to get serious about security in Postgres.
It would be prudent for anyone who keeps important data in Postgres to make
frequent backups.

Jeff Meredith