Subject: postgres w/o superuser

From: [email-masked] (cheng ho)
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 94 10:49:04 EDT

Hi,

 Anybody out there ever install 'postgres' w/o using superuser privilege ?

 I tried it by following the instructions on p.6 "POSTGRES INSTALLATION 
INSTRUCTIONS, Release 4.2". N.G. Everything went alright in 'bmake all install',
except the part to intall 'postmaster'. The message is :

 PG_UID=`./pg_id ho`;  POSTGRESLOGIN=ho; case $PG_UID in "NOUSER")  echo "Warning: no account named ho, using yours"; POSTGRESLOGIN=`whoami`;  PG_UID=`./pg_id`;;  esac ; for bki in global1.bki local1_template1.bki ; do  sed  -e "s/postgres PGUID/$POSTGRESLOGIN $PG_UID/"  -e "s/PGUID/$PG_UID/"  < $bki > $bki.sed ;  install -c -o ho -g ho -m 444  $bki.sed /local/users/starbuck/ho/postgres4.2/data/files/$bki;  rm -f $bki.sed;  install -c -o ho -g ho -m 444  $bki /local/users/starbuck/ho/postgres4.2/data/files/$bki.source;  done

('ho', in above, is the user name.) I don't quite understand all these.
But, 'postermaster' would not run !

I do have a 'postgres 4.1' running on the same mechine ? I wonder that causes
the problem. 

Help ! Help !

- cheng -

==============================================================================
   To add/remove yourself to/from the POSTGRES mailing list: send mail with 
   the subject line ADD or DEL to "[email-masked]"

   If this fails, send mail to "[email-masked]" and
   a human will deal with it.  DO NOT post to the "postgres" mailing list.
==============================================================================