Subject: Using Postgres from Unix and security

From: Stuart Pook <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 May 92 16:31:05 +0200

I have been reading the reference manual section
Information(unix) under the heading "Using Postgres From Unix"
where it says  "A Unix user can do nothing at all with POSTGRES 
until an appropriate record is installed in this system catalog class."
I took this to mean that nobody (other than the account postgres)
can use postgres until I run "createuser".  Is this correct?

I have compiled and installed postgres, run initdb, launched a
postmaster, and created a database called foo.  I have not run createuser.
I find that any user can run "/usr/postgres/bin/monitor foo" and change
the contents of the database foo.  This behaviour does not seem to agree
with the documentation cited above.  Am I confused?

Thanks
Stuart Pook

---

From: postarch (Postgres Mailing Archive)
Date: Tue, 05 May 92 22:33:24 PDT

> can use postgres until I run "createuser".  Is this correct?

This is the intended behavior.

> with the documentation cited above.  Am I confused?

No, this isn't supposed to happen.  What machine do you use?

Jeff Meredith
[email-masked]