Subject: purge does not discard historical data?

From: [email-masked] (Reinhard Dunkel)
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1993 15:01:42 -0600

I am running Rafael Morales Gamboa's Postgres 4.0.1 on AIX 3.2.4. I want
to discard all historical data in a relation. The command "purge relation_name"
does not seem to work. What am I doing wrong?

* retrieve (E.all, E.tmin, E.tmax) from E in analysis_1d [,] where E.param="FnFID"\g

Query sent to backend is "retrieve (E.all, E.tmin, E.tmax) from E in analysis_1d [,] where E.param="FnFID""
 param        value        tmin         tmax
 FnFID        aa1710-108c.fid/fid Mon Aug 2 16:05:57 1993  Mon Aug 2 20:17:26 1993
 FnFID        aa1710-108c.fid/fida Mon Aug 2 20:17:26 1993  Mon Aug 2 20:17:52 1993
 FnFID        aa1710-108c.fid/fid Mon Aug 2 20:17:52 1993  Tues Aug 10 14:21:04 1993
 FnFID        aa1710-108c.fid/fi Tues Aug 10 14:21:04 1993  Tues Aug 10 15:13:17 1993
 FnFID        aa1710-108c.fid/fid Tues Aug 10 15:13:17 1993  Wed Aug 11 17:37:09 1993
 FnFID        aa1710-108c.fid/fid2fdgdfg Wed Aug 11 17:37:09 1993  Wed Aug 11 17:37:25 1993
 FnFID        aa1710-108c.fid/fid Wed Aug 11 17:37:25 1993  Sun Sep 12 14:19:49 1993
 FnFID        aa1710-108c.fid/fid1 Sun Sep 12 14:19:49 1993  Sun Sep 12 14:20:00 1993
 FnFID        aa1710-108c.fid/fid2 Sun Sep 12 14:20:00 1993  epoch

Go
* purge analysis_1d\g

Query sent to backend is "purge analysis_1d"
PURGE
Go
* retrieve (E.all, E.tmin, E.tmax) from E in analysis_1d [,] where E.param="FnFID"\g

Query sent to backend is "retrieve (E.all, E.tmin, E.tmax) from E in analysis_1d [,] where E.param="FnFID""
 param        value        tmin         tmax
 FnFID        aa1710-108c.fid/fid Mon Aug 2 16:05:57 1993  Mon Aug 2 20:17:26 1993
 FnFID        aa1710-108c.fid/fida Mon Aug 2 20:17:26 1993  Mon Aug 2 20:17:52 1993
 FnFID        aa1710-108c.fid/fid Mon Aug 2 20:17:52 1993  Tues Aug 10 14:21:04 1993
 FnFID        aa1710-108c.fid/fi Tues Aug 10 14:21:04 1993  Tues Aug 10 15:13:17 1993
 FnFID        aa1710-108c.fid/fid Tues Aug 10 15:13:17 1993  Wed Aug 11 17:37:09 1993
 FnFID        aa1710-108c.fid/fid2fdgdfg Wed Aug 11 17:37:09 1993  Wed Aug 11 17:37:25 1993
 FnFID        aa1710-108c.fid/fid Wed Aug 11 17:37:25 1993  Sun Sep 12 14:19:49 1993
 FnFID        aa1710-108c.fid/fid1 Sun Sep 12 14:19:49 1993  Sun Sep 12 14:20:00 1993
 FnFID        aa1710-108c.fid/fid2 Sun Sep 12 14:20:00 1993  epoch
   __                                      _
  |  )      o       |              |      | \            |        |
  | /    _          |_   _    _   _|      |  |           |     _  |
  |/\   /_) |  ^ ^  | |  _)  |   / |      |  | | |  ^ ^  |_)  /_) |
  |  \_/\___|_| | |_| |_(_|__|___\_|      |_/__|_|_| | |_| \_/\___|

  Department of Chemistry            Office: (801) 581-7351         
  2020 Henry Eyring Building b113    Home:   (801) 582-7516         
  University of Utah                 FAX:    (801) 581-8433         
  Salt Lake City, UT 84112           [email-masked]