Subject: postgres v3r1 and gcc

From: Daniel R Ehrlich <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1991 15:29:13 -0500

Has anyone tried compiling Postgres v3rX with gcc?

-- Dan Ehrlich

---

From: postarch (Postgres Mailing Archive)
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 91 19:14:32 PST

> Has anyone tried compiling Postgres v3rX with gcc?

Dan,

The postgres project is slowly ansifying all two hundred thousand lines of 
postgres, adding prototypes, etc.  This is expected to be an incremental 
process over this release and the next one.  Unfortunately 'gcc' doesn't run
at all reliably on the decstations we use as a development platform so our
usage of gcc is limited.  So we haven't compiled the current release using
gcc though past releases have been compiled using gcc's '-traditional' option.
We recommend strongly that if you want us to be able to help you with bugs 
and such that you compile postgres with the manufacturer-supplied compiler.
It isn't that we don't like gcc but that it isn't integrated well enough into
our development schema for us to be able to spot gcc vs non-gcc problems.

later,
Adam Glass
[email-masked]
postgres research group