Subject: Dead backend....

From: Xinguo Wei <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 1995 11:43:44 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

this is a follow-up on the problem I posted two days ago regrading a 
user-defined function does not return sometimes.
In order to see what is going on, I turned on the debugging switch on the 
postmaster. Here is what I got,

If the function can be executed suceefully, i will see the message from 
postmaster as follows,

postmaster: ServerLoop: 1 sockets pending
postmaster: ServerLoop: connect on 4
....
....
       InitPostgres()..
postmaster: reaping dead processes...
postmaster: CleanupProc: pid 11288 exited with status 0

At meantime, backend also spits out a lot messages about the query 
processing and the last two messages are,

        ProcessQuery() at Wed Mar  8 11:20:44 1995
        CommitTransactionCommand() at Wed Mar  8 11:20:44 1995

If the function can't not be executed, the postmaster will hangup right after
the message "InitPostgres()..".  And the previous backend server will not be
killed.

I made a rather small function for this test, and it will die at about 
the 13th (or higher) run.

What should I approach from here?  Thank you very much.

Xinguo

==============================================================================
   To add/remove yourself to/from the POSTGRES mailing list: send mail with 
   the subject line ADD or DEL to "[email-masked]".
   If this fails, send mail to "[email-masked]" and
   a human will deal with it.  DO NOT post to the "postgres" mailing list.
==============================================================================
              URL: http://s2k-ftp.CS.Berkeley.EDU:8000/postgres/