Subject: Loading of a .o

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 1994 12:42:25 +0100 (MET)

On a sparc SS10 running SunOS 4.1.3

When trying to load a .o file in a postrges database (just using the sample
circle.o provided) postgres always returned the error: 'link failed'

Further investigation showed that it was trying to execute the following:

ld -N -x -A /p1acasun/toolsun/postgresv4r1.seq/bin/./postgres -T 219000 -o /usr/tmp/postgres9854  /usr/postgres/tutorial/circle.o -lc -lm -ll

Which when executed returns the error:
   ld: -ldl No such file or directory.

If I fake a libdl.a, it then complains about multiple defines in libc.a and
a bad magic number for libm.a

If I take the -lc -lm and -ll away, then circle.o is loaded without complaint
but whenever you attempt to access the routines, they never return....
(ie: if you try to append a circle from the monitor....the monitor never
seems to receive a reply).

What are we doing wrong?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Herb Hasler --- [email-masked]
      International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis  (IIASA)
          A-2361 Laxenburg, Austria --- +43 2236 715 21 ext 548
---------------------------------------------------------------------------