Subject: unsigned ints

From: [email-masked] (bob arko)
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 93 21:38:14 GMT

Hey, guys -
	We just upgraded to 4.1, and discovered that unsigned integers seem to have
vanished as a built-in.  Our existing code made frequent use of uint4's because we need
to compare large numbers with absolute precision (i.e. we can't use floats), and a
signed int4 isn't big enough.  What happened?

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul M. Aoki)
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1993 13:53:03 -0800

> Hey, guys -

Hi.  (btw, this may be a good time to mention that several of the 
postgres guys are women :-)

> signed int4 isn't big enough.  What happened?

faerie:aoki (82)> egrep -i uint4 src/backend/catalog/RCS/pg_type.h,v 
faerie:aoki (83)> 

If you had "uint4", it's because someone at your site (or wherever you
got your previous source tree from) hacked 'em in... shouldn't be too
hard to reinstall the ADTs as builtins.
--
  Paul M. Aoki  |  CS Div., Dept. of EECS, UCB  |  [email-masked]
                |  Berkeley, CA 94720           |  ...!uunet!ucbvax!aoki

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul M. Aoki)
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1993 13:53:03 -0800