Subject: Kerberos and postgres

From: Michael Graff <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 1994 11:36:52 -0600

If I wish to use Kerberos and Postgres, how do I set the user who can initially
create databases?  It would be much simplier if I didn't need to make a
postgres kerberos instance...  do I?

--Michael

==============================================================================
   To add/remove yourself to/from the POSTGRES mailing list: send mail with 
   the subject line ADD or DEL to "[email-masked]"

   If this fails, send mail to "[email-masked]" and
   a human will deal with it.  DO NOT post to the "postgres" mailing list.
==============================================================================

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul M. Aoki)
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 94 13:32:55 -0800

Michael Graff <[email-masked]> writes:
> If I wish to use Kerberos and Postgres, how do I set the user who
> can initially create databases?  It would be much simplier if I
> didn't need to make a postgres kerberos instance...  do I?

you need to register all users who interact with the database,
including the postgres superuser.  if that's *you*, and you're already
in the kerberos database, then you don't have to do anything else.
--
  Paul M. Aoki          |  University of California at Berkeley
  [email-masked]  |  Dept. of EECS, Computer Science Division (#1776) 
                        |  Berkeley, CA 94720-1776

---

From: "Michael Graff" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 1994 15:52:32 -0600

>in the kerberos database, then you don't have to do anything else.

What we are wanting is to provide a binary release which will allow anyone
to set up a postgres server on any of 700 machines -- I don't want to be
involved once it gets going  ;)

Is there a way to set the postgres superuser's identity at initdb time?

--Michael

--
Michael Graff <[email-masked]>       NetBSD is the way to go!
PGP key on a key-server near you!         Rayshade the world!