Subject: access method manual?

From: "John C. Sieg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 93 12:48:31 -0800

Prof. Stonebraker et al. mention in "The Implementation..." a 50-page
manual on building new Postgres access methods.  Where do I find this
manual, please?

-John Sieg, UMass Lowell

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 93 15:57:06 -0800

You can ftp all the postgres papers.  They are in postgres-papers.tar.Z
in ftp/pub/postgres

     Version 4.01 of the public-domain POSTGRES DBMS is available
for distribution. 

     General improvements have been made in many areas.  A strong
push toward "ansification" has resulted in the routing out of some
obscure problems.

features include:

 o  Functional indices (secondary indices on single valued functions)
    are now supported.

 o  The documentation, reference manual and tutorials have been completely
    rewritten.  The new version now accurately reflects the status of
    POSTGRES implementation.

 o  Significant improvements in aggregate functionality have been added.
    A number of built-in aggregates have been defined.

Postgres runs on Sparc I, Sparc II, Sun 4, diskful Sun 3's, and DECstations
running Ultrix >= 4.01, as well as Sequent Symmetry machines.  Postgres
consists of about 200,000 lines of C.

If you would like to get Postgres 4.01, you can get it in one of two ways:

(1)  Anonymous FTP from postgres.berkeley.edu

To FTP postgres to your site, type the following bracketed text without
brackets.  You should see similar output.

% ftp 128.32.149.1 

- or -

% ftp postgres.berkeley.edu
Connected to 128.32.149.1.
220 postgres FTP server (Version 4.4 Sun Feb 5 07:58:07 PST 1989) ready.
Name (128.32.149.1:): [ anonymous ]
331 Guest login ok, send ident as password.
Password:[ mylogin@myhost ]
230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
ftp> [ cd pub/postgres ]
250 CWD command successful.
ftp> [ get postgres-setup.me.Z ]
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for postgres-setup.me (NNNNNNN bytes).
ftp> [ binary ]
200 Type set to I.
ftp> [ get postgres-v4r0r1.tar.Z ]
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for postgres-v4r0r1.tar.Z (NNNNNNN bytes).
226 Transfer complete.
local: postgres-v4r1.tar.Z remote: postgres-v4r0r1.tar.Z
NNNNNNN bytes received in MMM.MM seconds (KK Kbytes/s)

	continue using the "get" command and obtain 
	the following files as well as the ones listed
	in the example above.

	postgres-v4r0r1.bugs
	postgres.faq.Z
	postgres-papers.tar.Z

	then quit.

ftp> [ quit ]
221 Goodbye.
%

Or, if you do not have net.access, you can order a Postgres distribution
tape by sending a check payable to

the Regents of the University of California

for $150.00 to:

         Postgres Project
         557 Evans Hall
         University of California
         Berkeley, CA 94720.

     Indicate in your accompanying letter whether  you  want
     the  system on a 9-track tape at 1600 BPI, at 6250 BPI,
     on a cartridge tape for SUN shoeboxes (QIC 150 format),
     or on a TK50 DEC cartridge tape.

Marc Teitelbaum
Postgres Chief Programmer
[email-masked]

_______________________

 A Silicin Graphics version of Postgres v3r1 may be obtained by
anonymous ftp from vogon.llnl.gov  The file to obtain is
/pub/sgipostgres.tar.Z  We have done some testing of this port but it
has not been fully tested. We are not currently using this port and we
have no plans to port Postgres v4 to the SGI. You are welcome to use
this port but we can not maintain it.

Rowland R Johnson
(510) 423-3064
[email-masked]