Subject: SUMMARY: Better programming interface

From: Niranjan Perera <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1993 10:12:18 -0400 (EDT)

ORIGINAL POSTING:

>Hi,

>I have been using postgres for around 7 months now. I was wondering if
>anybody has considered implementing an object oriented  programming interface
>to postgres. Something  along the lines  of E, and O2 database programming
>languages, but which will interface into the backend.
>
>The current libpq interface is nice, but a lot of work needs to be done by 
>the programmer if one wants to access any of the data.
>
>Kindly direct comments, and suggestions to [email-masked],  and I shall
>post a summary.
>
>peace,
>
>-- Niranjan

SUMMARY:

1) 8 people told me to take a look at the package "postgres-c++" at
   mcs.drexel.edu. ( Set of C++ classes to libpq )

2) 3 people told me that, having a programming interface like that of
   E, and O2 would require some form of mapping that would interface
   between the frontend, and the backend.

3) 2 persons wanted to know if anybody else had attempted such a beast.

4) 2 persons told me about a package called relshow ( Kirk.Bond.edu.au )
   The package is not an Object Oriented pacakge.

5) 1 person told me about a frontend called dbkit that requires NeXTSTEP.

That all ...

-- Niranjan