Subject: sun4m/ postmaster -B

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 94 14:09:45 +0200

Hi!

I'm trying to user zhe -B commandline option to postmaster to increase the
number of buffers. Works ok on my SUN IPX (SunOS 4.1.3) even with a large 
number of buffers. On the SUN LX (also SunOS 4.1.3) it returns:

hermes% postmaster -B 128
IpcMemoryCreate: memKey=123585129 , size=1292928 , permission=384IpcMemoryCreate: shmget(..., create, ...) failed: Invalid argument

postmaster -B 64  (default) works, but seems to run slow .. !
(patch 100726-17 is installed)

Any clues ?

- Holger
____________________________________________________________________________
 Holger Pfaff                               e-mail: [email-masked]
 Siemens AG, TN EP A 44                     phone:  (+49)(89)722-47313
 D-81359 Muenchen                           fax:    (+49)(89)722-44322
 Germany
____________________________________________________________________________

==============================================================================
   To add/remove yourself to/from the POSTGRES mailing list: send mail with 
   the subject line ADD or DEL to "[email-masked]"

   If this fails, send mail to "[email-masked]" and
   a human will deal with it.  DO NOT post to the "postgres" mailing list.
==============================================================================

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul M. Aoki)
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 94 10:58:59 -0700

> IpcMemoryCreate: memKey=123585129 , size=1292928 , permission=384IpcMemoryCreate: shmget(..., create, ...) failed: Invalid argument

on sunos 4, to get shared memory segments >1048576 bytes you need to 
reconfigure your kernel with an increased value for SHMMAX.  you ought
to be able to change it by (e.g.) dorking SHMSIZE in sys/shm.h or by 
redefining SHMMAX in conf.common/conf.c.  read your kernel config doc 
before doing anything.

in solaris it's a bit easier, you just tweak a file in /etc..
--
  Paul M. Aoki          |  University of California at Berkeley
  [email-masked]  |  Dept. of EECS, Computer Science Division (#1776) 
                        |  Berkeley, CA 94720-1776