Subject: postgres on SCO Unix

From: trevan!trevor
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 92 16:15:36 GMT

Well I found out that Gen_creator.sh creates all the Make... and RMake...
functions I was missing so I got left with only 6 problems.

1) The file storage/lmgr/proc.c uses setitimer which is not available on
   SCO unix so I used alarm instead.

2) Files heap/hrnd.c and nobtree/nobtree.c uses the function random so I
   used SCO's rand instead.

3) File tcop/postgres.c uses getwd. I assume this gets the current working
   directory so I used getcwd.

4) File tcop/postgres.c uses getrusage but I cant find this in SCO's libraries
   although struct rusage is defined in sys/resource.h. Can someone send me
   the manual page for this so I could work out some alternative.

5) File utils/adt/float.c uses the fuction cbrt. I assume this is a cube
   root function so I have implemented this with the function pow.

6) Now for the difficult bit. Can someone tell me what the funtions
   dynamic_file_loader and dynamic_load do. Looking at port/seq/dynloader.c
   I see that ld is called with a load of options which are not avaiable
   on SCO. eg

	ld -N -x -A SYMBOL_TABLE -T ADDR

   Could someone explain what these options do.

I would welcome any comments on these points.

I have spent about a week on this now and it would appear that a SystemV
port is fairly easy. I wondered if the Group was considering makeing
SysV rel 3 an official port as this would make Postgres available to a much
bigger audiance.
-- 
				regards trevor
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trevor Harris				UUCP: [email-masked]
Trevan Designs Limited
5 Blackwater Close, Ash,
Aldershot, Hants, UK.
GU12 6JS