Subject: Strange things

From: [email-masked] (Ray E. Flanery Jr)
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 95 09:48:22 -0500

1) I am reinitializing the POSTGRES database, cleardbdir works fine. If I
   check ~postgres/data/* the only thing left there is the 'files' directory.
   When I run initdb, it appears to set everything up properly, except that
   when I go to add users, the ones who had access to the old database
   already exist?!? How can this be?

2) I have created a database and now attempt to DEFINE a type and a function.
   a) if I am doing this using the pqlib from code, it tells me they already
      exist, if I do it from the command line, everything is fine?!?

It almost seems as if re-initializing the db has kept around some copy
of the previous set-up.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
                   Raymond E. Flanery Jr., Director
             Advanced Visualization Research Center, ORNL
 (615)574-0630                                     [email-masked] 
 (615)574-0680 fax                        http://www.epm.ornl.gov/~flanery/
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Cleveland Browns
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
  "When the last individual of a race of living things breathes no more,
another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again."
                           --- William Beebe
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
               "Loyalty above all else, except honor"  ---  

==============================================================================
   To add/remove yourself to/from the POSTGRES mailing list: send mail with 
   the subject line ADD or DEL to "[email-masked]".
   If this fails, send mail to "[email-masked]" and
   a human will deal with it.  DO NOT post to the "postgres" mailing list.
==============================================================================
              URL: http://s2k-ftp.CS.Berkeley.EDU:8000/postgres/

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul M. Aoki)
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 95 08:58:12 -0800

>       exist, if I do it from the command line, everything is fine?!?

some possible explanations:
- your libpq program and your monitor are connecting to different
postmasters due to switch/environment differences.
- differences between PGDATA and the compiled database path (wrong
directory cleared/rebuilt).
- the postmaster was left running and has pages from the old database
in its cache.
--
  Paul M. Aoki          |  University of California at Berkeley
  [email-masked]  |  Dept. of EECS, Computer Science Division (#1776) 
                        |  Berkeley, CA 94720-1776