Subject: temp files and dual dbs

From: [email-masked] (Glen Darby)
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 1994 11:16:31 +1000 (EST)

Hi,

Im not sure if my initial message got through but Ill try again. I have
developed an application that uses dual databases (one remotely and one
locally), I have two problems at the moment.

Firstly I seem to get a lot of tempxxx files generated in the
~postgres/data/base/appdb directory. Can I just remove this files, what
causes them or should I get postgres to remove them somehow ?

Secondly when the remote db and the local db actually live on the same
machine I occasionally get crashes from postgres indicating that the local
db doesnt exist when in fact it does. Is there a switching delay when both
dbs are on the same machine or is more likely poor coding on behalf :)

I am using this on 3 Suns all running SunOS 4.1.3 or 4.1.3_U1 on Sun is 
a Sparc 10 and the others are ipx's.

Thanx for any assistance you can give in this matter.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Glen Darby                          | Email : [email-masked]         |
| Computer Systems Officer            | Phone : +61 2 850-9508              |
| Maths/Physics/Computing/Electronics | Fax   : +61 2 850-9551              |
| Macquarie University (Australia)    |                                     |
=============================================================================

==============================================================================
   To add/remove yourself to/from the POSTGRES mailing list: send mail with 
   the subject line ADD or DEL to "[email-masked]"

   If this fails, send mail to "[email-masked]" and
   a human will deal with it.  DO NOT post to the "postgres" mailing list.
==============================================================================

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul M. Aoki)
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 94 13:21:16 -0700

> causes them or should I get postgres to remove them somehow ?

if you don't have any backends running at the time, it's safe to
remove them.

> db doesnt exist when in fact it does.

i don't understand what you mean by "remote db" and "local db", i.e.,
whether there are two postmasters running on different machines, or
one set of database directories are nfs-mounted and the other is not,
or what.
--
  Paul M. Aoki          |  University of California at Berkeley
  [email-masked]  |  Dept. of EECS, Computer Science Division (#1776) 
                        |  Berkeley, CA 94720-1776