Subject: Re: probs with rel 3.1 backend

From: [email-masked] (Alfredo Sanchez)
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 92 13:19:47 -0700

Regarding a previously posted message in which
an installation prob was described, I re-did the
entire installation process again and it seems
it worked this time. I guess I did something wrong
the first time.

However, the backend keeps crashing when I try to
run simultaneous transactions. I works as expected
with a single transaction, but when several copies
of my progs are run, one of them is terminated
with the message:

	Error: No response from the backend, exiting...

and sometimes with:

	NOTICE:Apr 23 15:01:55:I have been signalled by the postmaster.
	NOTICE:Apr 23 15:01:55:Some backend process has died unexpectedly and possibly
	NOTICE:Apr 23 15:01:55:corrupted shared memory.  The current transaction was
	NOTICE:Apr 23 15:01:55:aborted, and I am going to exit.  Please resend the
	NOTICE:Apr 23 15:01:55:last query. -- The postgres backend
 
	Error: No response from the backend, exiting...

If the terminal monitor is also active at the same time, when
I try to issue any query, it displays the above message, but also
loops forever with

	NOTICE:Apr 23 14:27:38:last query. -- The postgres backend
	NOTICE:Apr 23 14:27:38:last query. -- The postgres backend
	NOTICE:Apr 23 14:27:38:last query. -- The postgres backend
	NOTICE:Apr 23 14:27:38:last query. -- The postgres backend
	...

After a few tries, the entire database becomes inaccessible,
producing the message:

	Error: No response from the backend, exiting...

We are reaching a deadline for one of our projects and
we were counting on postgres mechanisms for handling concurrency.
Are there any chances that someone from the PG project can 
take a look at this before the next release comes out?

Thanks in advance,

J. Afredo Sanchez H.
Hypermedia Research Lab
Texas A&M University