Subject: bytea built-in type

From: [email-masked] (Gatto)
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 94 09:21:37 EDT

Hello 

I have class MSG with a bytea (variable length array of bytes) field, and 
I need to add instances to it trough a C source code using LIBPQ functions. 
This field can contain zero values, and I don't know how to build a query 
string, to use in PQexec, that doesn't finish when a zero value occours in
some position (not the last) of this field. 

Can anyone help me?

==============================================================================
   To add/remove yourself to/from the POSTGRES mailing list: send mail with 
   the subject line ADD or DEL to "[email-masked]".
   If this fails, send mail to "[email-masked]" and
   a human will deal with it.  DO NOT post to the "postgres" mailing list.
==============================================================================
              URL: http://s2k-ftp.CS.Berkeley.EDU:8000/postgres/
[s2k-ftp is down with hardware problems.  more news as it becomes available..]

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul M. Aoki)
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 94 03:47:10 -0800

> some position (not the last) of this field. 

the base variable-length types (bytea, text) are implemented in 
src/backend/utils/adt/varlena.c.

it looks like bytea takes constants of the form \xxx where xxx is an
octal constant and must have exactly three digits.
--
  Paul M. Aoki          |  University of California at Berkeley
  [email-masked]  |  Dept. of EECS, Computer Science Division (#1776) 
                        |  Berkeley, CA 94720-1776

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 94 07:24:52 PST

Hi Everyone,

I started a port of postgres 4.2 for NetBSD 1.0 about a month ago.
I made good progress the first week and I was able to get the system
to build to completion. While running the regression tests I found
that my port, taken from the Postgres 4.01 NetBSD port, of the dynamic
loader fails to load objects correctly. I haven't had the chance
to look into this problem for a number of weeks now. I plan to
complete the port in the next few days. To avoid reinventing the wheel,
and to save me some headachs, I thought I would check if anyone else
has done this, or am I treading new territory.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim Bachesta
[email-masked]