Subject: mixing ports

From: [email-masked] (Postgres 2.1)
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 91 04:36:34 -0700

We've been trying to install a new port (ultrix4) to have postgres runni
   ng on a DEC3100 using its local file system. The first installed port (sparc)
    to SUN uses non-local file system and we want to compare postgres
performance in both cases.
        After selecting a directory (/usr/users/postgres) to install postgres (u
   ltrix4) from the tar file and running "Make install" on it we noticed that th
   e "/usr/users/postgres/bin" directory wasn't created, rather the postgres uni
   x codes were put into the SUN's installation directory  (/usr/local/depot/pos
   tgres) overllaping the earlier generated SunOS codes in /usr/local/depot/post
   gres/bin.
        Next we noticed that the Sun's POSTGRESHOME (/usr/local/depot/postgres)
   were not logically linked to "/usr/postgres"  and, yet more, that it was set
   as the "~postgres" directory instead of "/usr/postgres". The Sun's version se
   ems to work in spite of this
mistake.
        Well, we're going to define "~postgres" as "/usr/postgres" and link to i
   t the two reffered physical directories that should serve as alternates POSTG
   RESHOME.
        Should it be correct? Is there any other consideration to take into acco
   unt?
        Thanks in advance for suggestions.

                                                Joao Pedro
                                                Image Processing Dept.
                                                INPE-Brazil

---

From: [email-masked] (Mike Olson)
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 91 10:39:46 PDT

i don't completely understand the sequence of events that caused your
problem.  however, it is true that you must have separate POSTGRESHOME
directories for different ports, since each port wants to install its
binaries in $POSTGRESHOME/bin.  to save space, you can slink
$POSTGRESHOME/src from the existing (sun?) port to the new (ultrix?)
port.

also, several of the build scripts are csh scripts, rather than sh
scripts.  this means that if you have POSTGRESHOME set in your .cshrc
as user 'postgres', that value will be used during Make install.  you
should set this in your .login, or remove it from your .cshrc while you
are building the second postgres port.

feel free to contact us directly at post-questions@postgres if you
continue to have problems.
					mike