Subject: SGI postgres 4.1

From: Glen Niebur <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 May 93 08:01:33 -0700

I have 4.1 "running" on an SGI 4D/420.  It fails the regression test on
some points, but if i interactively type the queries, they execute.
The dynamic loader is a little queasy.  It loads text/data in to shared memory
segments, and never frees them, since i didn't feel like writing a really
good memory manager and valloc is not available.

I would be happy to tar this up and upload it to some public place if
someone can offer one.  We don't have an anonymous FTP at our site.

I have a couple of questions:

1.  The default scripts make postgres as an O-magic file (-N flag to ld).
    Why is this?  On an SGI, an O-magic file can not be run under UNIX.
    Is there something esoteric to be gained or lost by using this flag?

2.  In 4.0.1, postmaster and postgres were set uid files.  They aren't now.
    Any reason?

3.  I was tempted to add a _daemonize call at the top of postmaster.  Would
    that be a bad thing to do?  I can't see why postmaster should have a
    controlling terminal etc., but I assume you have your reasons...

Glen

Glen Niebur     | If i die today, i'll be the happy phantom
Mayo Clinic     | and i'll go chasing the nuns out in the yard.
Biomechanics Lab|
[email-masked]    |            ~Tori Amos

---

From: Mike Olson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 May 1993 09:35:38 -0700

>     Is there something esoteric to be gained or lost by using this flag?

on the architectures for which we distribute ports, OMAGIC permits us
to do dynamic loading easily.  if you've built your own dynld that
doesn't require OMAGIC executables, you can compile without -N.

> 2.  In 4.0.1, postmaster and postgres were set uid files.  They aren't now.

maybe marc teitelbaum knows.  i think they ought to be suid still.

>     controlling terminal etc., but I assume you have your reasons...

no, that ought to be done.
					mike