Subject: problem with postgres v4r2

From: [email-masked] (Sunay Tripathi)
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 95 17:48:11 GMT+5:30

Friends,

I am in really deep shit. I have developed a major application on postgres.
For testing, I was using about 1000 records and every thing was fine. Once
I loaded the database, weird things started happening. Let me give you a
background -

1) I have installed postgres v4r2 on a Sun Sparc 10 running Solaris 2.3.
It has 64MB RAM and 150Mb Swap space. THe database has about 5 tables
having 3 to 7 attributes. Each table has about 20,000 records.

2) The backend sometime crashes and sometimes gives wierd responses to my
queries (specially if they have a join). I suspect that the query optimiser
of postgresv4r2 is the real culprit. Because with exactly the same database
structure and same records, all the queries work on Postgres v4r1 under
SunOS 4.1.1.

So, is there any way to turn off the query optimiser (either at compile time
or at run time)?

Is anyone else facing similar problem with postgres 4.2 under Solaris 2.3?

Also, is postgres v4r1 available for Solaris 2.3?

I am really desparate and will appreciate any help that I can get.

Sunay

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Sunay Tripathi, Senior Scientific Officer| Tel: +(91) 11 686-7431     |
ERNET, Dept. of Computer Science & Engg. | Fax: +(91) 11 686-8765     |
Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi,   |                            | 
e-mail : [email-masked]             | Tel: +(91) 11 301-7186(Res)|
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

==============================================================================
   To add/remove yourself to/from the POSTGRES mailing list: send mail with 
   the subject line ADD or DEL to "[email-masked]".
   If this fails, send mail to "[email-masked]" and
   a human will deal with it.  DO NOT post to the "postgres" mailing list.
==============================================================================
              URL: http://s2k-ftp.CS.Berkeley.EDU:8000/postgres/