Subject: Monitor/createdb problem

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 1994 14:07:39 +0023 (GMT-0:37)

Hi,

I am using the 4.0.1a port of postgres to linux, on a 486 PC.
The backend (postgres binary executable) works fine, but I cannot run
createdb <database name>, or monitor. Both exit with an error message something
like:

Could not connect to backend (Port = 4321).
createdb failed for database foo.

I suspect that the problem may be that tcp/ip loopback may not be set up properly ...
I'm sure there is a document *somewhere* telling me how to set this up - could 
someone please tell me where?! (Or that the problem lies elsewhere).

Thanks,

Tim.

 ________________________________________________
|                                                |
| From Tim Wadsworth: [email-masked] |
|________________________________________________|

---

From: [email-masked] (Kai Petzke)
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 1994 18:51:27 --100

> I suspect that the problem may be that tcp/ip loopback may not be set up properly ...

There are two possible problems:

a) You do not have the postmaster running.  Type:

       postmaster &

b) Your Linux box does no loopback networking.  The best idea is perhaps
   to get the SLACKWARE network disks, install them, and make sure, that
   the scripts in

       /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1
       /etc/rc.d/rc.inet2

   are properly called from /etc/rc.d/rc.local or /etc/rc.d/rc.M.

> someone please tell me where?! (Or that the problem lies elsewhere).

There is a NETWORK-HOWTO, which is regularly posted to the linux
newsgroups, and can be found on the various ftp servers as well.

Kai