Subject: Postgres <-> Z39.50 <-> client

From: Brent Burton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 1994 15:24:11 -0600

Hello all,

To make a long story short, there is a database that we'd like to use
but due to various political and lazy people, we can't get any results.

One idea is to use the Willow Z39.50 client (Motif-based database
interface program from U. of Michigan) and load our postgres system
with the data.  The missing link is between postgres and the Z39.50
protocol.

My question is, does anybody have or know of a postgres <-> Z39.50
link?  If so, where is it or who may I talk to about it?

I appreciate any replies.

-Brent

Brent Burton
Systems Analyst
Dept of Mathematics
Texas A&M University

==============================================================================
   To add/remove yourself to/from the POSTGRES mailing list: send mail with 
   the subject line ADD or DEL to "[email-masked]"

   If this fails, send mail to "[email-masked]" and
   a human will deal with it.  DO NOT post to the "postgres" mailing list.
==============================================================================

---

From: Keith Sklower <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 1994 13:40:16 -0800 (PST)

One idea is to use the Willow Z39.50 client ...  and load our postgres
    system with the data.  The missing link is between postgres and the Z39.50
    protocol.

I'm working on such a thing here in support of our digital library project
(actually to make tech reports available on line).  The problem is that
any method I've come up with depends on the schema that you are using
pretty heavily; and there are some features that may require a fair
amount of C code to support, like "fuzzy matching".

Also, the translator thus far doesn't support "marc" records.

Have you looked at the Z39.50 protocol carefully?  It is really, really,
complicated and gives you lots of rope to hang yourself with in terms
of non-interoperable things which technically adhere to the standard . . .