Subject: Re: Group By

From: [email-masked] (Janne Soimasuo)
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 94 8:34:48 EET DST

Kai asked to test a command with non linux postgres.

Here is the same query with sunOS and postgres4.2.
In postquel there is allowed only one item in the query when you use
aggregate functions. I think this is pity, because I would need it and
group by facility many times.

* retrieve ( average = int2ave{parts.Qty}, parts.supplier ) sort by  
supplier \g

Query sent to backend is "retrieve ( average = int2ave{parts.Qty}, 
parts.supplier ) sort by   supplier "
FATAL: no response from backend: detected in dump_data

Go 
*  retrieve ( average = int2ave{parts.Qty} )\g

Query sent to backend is "retrieve ( average = int2ave{parts.Qty} )"
---------------
| average     |
---------------
| 49          |
---------------

********************************************************************************
* Janne Soimasuo            *     phone +358-73-151 4519                       *
* GIS & RS lab.             *     fax   +358-73-151 3590                       *
* Faculty of Forestry       *                                                  *
* University of Joensuu     *     email [email-masked]              *
*                           *           [email-masked]                    *
* P.O.BOX 111               *                                                  *
* FIN-80101 JOENSUU         * "There never enough time to do all the nothing   *
* FINLAND                   *  you want"  Calvin                               *
********************************************************************************

==============================================================================
   To add/remove yourself to/from the POSTGRES mailing list: send mail with 
   the subject line ADD or DEL to "[email-masked]"

   If this fails, send mail to "[email-masked]" and
   a human will deal with it.  DO NOT post to the "postgres" mailing list.
==============================================================================