Subject: Version 4 Release 0 Revision 1 announcement

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 92 04:17:05 -0700

I apologize if you get this twice.  The new distribution filled up the
mail partition on postgres.berkeley.edu and my first message was munged.

Jeff

     Version 4.0.1 of the POSTGRES DBMS is now available for
distribution.  4.0.1 provides many bug fixes over version 4.0.
Version 4 added a lot of new functionality, a lot of new code, and
therefore a lot of new bugs.  Thanks to those of you who spent time
helping us uncover and pinpoint problems.

Among the key changes in 4.0.1 are:

 o  More multi-user fixes.  We now believe POSTGRES to be a much more
    reliable multi-user system.

 o  Disk page and shared memory page doctor programs.

 o  4.0 databases will copy straight across without doing the POSTGRES
    copy to / copy from conversion dance.

 o  Performance tuning.  Some of the fat has been trimmed off of 4.0.

Also, as of 4.0.1 we will be making a POSTGRES 'developers distribution'
available.  This package will consist of the standard distribution plus
the entire RCS history of the code along with some system validation tests.
It can be found in ~ftp/pub/postgres-developer.tar.Z.

Postgres runs on Sparc I, Sparc II, Sun 4 running SunOs, and DECstations
running ULTRIX >= 4.0.  Postgres consists of about 250,000 lines of C.

If you would like to get Postgres 4.0.1, you can do so in one of two ways:

(1)  Anonymous FTP from postgres.berkeley.edu

To FTP postgres to your site, type the following bracketed text without
brackets.  You should see similar output.

% ftp 128.32.149.1 

- or -

% ftp postgres.berkeley.edu
Connected to 128.32.149.1.
220 postgres FTP server (Version 4.4 Sun Feb 5 07:58:07 PST 1989) ready.
Name (128.32.149.1:): [ anonymous ]
331 Guest login ok, send ident as password.
Password:[ mylogin@myhost ]
230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
ftp> [ cd pub ]
250 CWD command successful.
ftp> [ get postgres-setup.me ]
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for postgres-setup.me (N bytes).
ftp> [ binary ]
200 Type set to I.
ftp> [ get postgres-v4r0r1.tar.Z ]
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for postgres-v4r0r1.tar.Z (N bytes).
226 Transfer complete.
local: postgres-v4r0.tar.Z remote: postgres-v4r0.tar.Z
N bytes received in MMM.MM seconds (KK Kbytes/s)
ftp> [ quit ]
221 Goodbye.
%

Or, if you do not have net.access, you can order a Postgres distribution
tape by sending a check payable to

the Regents of the University of California

for $150.00 to:

         Postgres Project
         557 Evans Hall
         University of California
         Berkeley, CA 94720.

     Indicate in your accompanying letter whether  you  want
     the  system on a 9-track tape at 1600 BPI, at 6250 BPI,
     on a cartridge tape for SUN shoeboxes (QIC 24  format),
     or on a TK50 DEC cartridge tape.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeff Meredith
Postgres Chief Programmer
[email-masked]