Subject: Announcing the Montage University Grant Program

From: [email-masked] (Amy Fenstermaker)
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 94 17:31:28 PDT

For more information:
							Arcangela Zichichi
							510-869-6353

Montage Software Announces Research Grant Program

	Oakland, Calif., April 18, 1994 -- Montage Software, Inc., today 
announced its Engines for Innovation Research Grant Program for universities 
worldwide.   Engines for Innovation's purpose is to provide the academic 
community with state-of-the-art object-relational database management systems 
and to encourage development of next-generation data management applications 
which incorporate complex data, such as video, audio and imaging technology.  
	Montage Software is the leading supplier of object-relational database 
management systems.  Montage's unique object-relational architecture extends 
the widely accepted relational DBMS model, enabling users to store, manage 
and analyze complex data -- such as maps, photographs, medical images and 
complex documents -- in a single database with traditional text and numbers 
using industry standard structured query language (SQL).
	"Montage is excited at the prospect of enabling a whole new 
generation of multimedia, scientific and engineering applications through 
this university-targeted program," said Dick Williams, Montage Software 
president and chief executive officer.  "Our company's roots are in the 
academic community via the seven-year POSTGRES project at the University of 
California, Berkeley, under the auspices of co-founder Dr. Michael Stonebraker. We know firsthand the excellent work that is turned out by academic 
researchers worldwide and feel that it is important to provide this community 
access to advanced database technology." Under the Engines for Innovation 
program, computer science departments would apply for grants from Montage 
Software, consisting of five or fewer licenses per award, although special 
grants for additional licenses may be made for large multi-user studies.  
Grants also include two relevant DataBlade software modules which extend the 
capabilities of the database.  Montage presently ships Text, Spatial and 
Image DataBlade modules and will announce the availability of additional 
DataBlade modules this spring and summer.  Grant applications are invited 
from all university departments conducting innovative research requiring 
multimedia database support.  Initial grants will be awarded in May, and the 
program will operate on an ongoing basis from that point.  Particular areas 
of interest to Montage include, but are not limited to, health care, 
imaging/compound document processing, multimedia, GIS and financial services.
	Interested parties should contact Amy Fenstermaker, Engines for 
Innovation Grant Program Administrator, Montage Software, Inc., 1111 Broadway, 
Suite 2000, Oakland, CA  94607, telephone 510-869-6332, or e-mail 
[email-masked].
	Headquartered in Oakland, Calif., Montage Software, Inc., is a 
venture-backed company and the leading supplier of object-relational database 
management systems and tools for business, scientific and technical solutions.  The company was founded in 1992.

###