Subject: FAQ

From: [email-masked] (Joseph Rajkumar)
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 93 13:36:49 -0700

Hi Folks

	Recently I have installed postgres on my sun workstation
running SunOS 4.1.3. This is Postgres Release 4.1.

	I have a couple of questions:-

1) First of all, where I can get the FAQ for postgres.
2) After having able to run the sample given on page 10
of the postgres installation instruction sheet, when I executed
the query, I got only postgres, (this is what I expected), but
when I tried to createuser while logged in as postgres, I am
getting the message:

postgres@rajkumar[83]:createuser
/usr/local/postgres/bin/createuser: postgres cannot create users.

Thanks
Joseph Rajkumar

PS: According to the man1/createuser.1, I should be able to
create a user, when I am logged in as postgres??

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul M. Aoki)
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 93 14:41:54 -0700

> 1) First of all, where I can get the FAQ for postgres.

from the 4.1 distribution directory:
	postgres.berkeley.edu:pub/postgres/postgres-v4r1/postgres-faq

> /usr/local/postgres/bin/createuser: postgres cannot create users.

the new (one-week-old) postgres-setup.cat tells you not to run the 
regression test as user postgres.  (the old one did not..)

to fix it up, run
	replace pg_user (usesuper="t"::bool) 
		where pg_user.usename="postgres"
as user postgres.

i think this should be fixed in the distribution but that's not my
decision.
--
  Paul M. Aoki  |  CS Div., Dept. of EECS, UCB  |  [email-masked]
                |  Berkeley, CA 94720           |  ...!uunet!ucbvax!aoki