Subject: RS/6000 Postgres creates defunct processes

From: [email-masked] (Reinhard Dunkel)
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 93 21:20:50 -0700

Rafael Morales Gamboa created a nice port of POSTGRES 4.0.1 for the
IBM RS/6000 (see "Paul's Private POSTGRES Port-list" for details). 
However, there is a problem. Opening and closing POSTGRES using
libpq.a creates a defunct process. When running the sample pgstats
program four (or five?) defunct processes are created each run. The
defunct processes accumulate until the postmaster dies and 
hangs the port. Are any patches or work-arounds available for this
problem?

Another problem: I would like to use "create rel ( ) key ( )" but
I always get "RelationCreate: KEY not yet supported".

What I need to do is to save the contents of a relation as ASCII file
and to merge the contents of another ASCII file into a relation.
Saving is no problem (copy rel_name to "ASCII_file"). Loading an ASCII
file with the copy command however just appends the tupels to the
current relation whether or not they are already present. So every
load & merge cycle about doubles the size of my relation due to 
doubling tuples which are already present. What is the
best way to get POSTGRES to keep only unique tupels in a relation?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
   __                                      _
  |  )      o       |              |      | \            |        |
  | /    _          |_   _    _   _|      |  |           |     _  |
  |/\   /_) |  ^ ^  | |  _)  |   / |      |  | | |  ^ ^  |_)  /_) |
  |  \_/\___|_| | |_| |_(_|__|___\_|      |_/__|_|_| | |_| \_/\___|

  Department of Chemistry            Office: (801) 581-7351         
  2020 Henry Eyring Building b113    Home:   (801) 582-7516         
  University of Utah                 FAX:    (801) 581-8433         
  Salt Lake City, UT 84112           [email-masked]