Subject: copy

From: [email-masked] (J.Plewe)
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 94 11:49:01 +0200

Hello!

When I'm using the copy-command, I have write permission to the
postgres directory, e.g. /usr/local/postgres.

Is this correct??

I have no access to my own directories, because they are not
open for postgres.

- Joerg

*********************************************************************
Dipl. Phys. Joerg Plewe               [email-masked]
MPI fuer molekulare Physiologie
Rheinlanddamm 201
44139 Dortmund
Germany                               +49 (0)231 1206 384
*********************************************************************

==============================================================================
   To add/remove yourself to/from the POSTGRES mailing list: send mail with 
   the subject line ADD or DEL to "[email-masked]"

   If this fails, send mail to "[email-masked]" and
   a human will deal with it.  DO NOT post to the "postgres" mailing list.
==============================================================================

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul M. Aoki)
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 94 10:17:01 -0700

> I have no access to my own directories, because they are not

i'm not sure i understand your point.  the copy command does run as
the postgres user (since postgres does not run suid root and therefore
cannot become you) so all directories to/from which you copy must be
writable/readable by the postgres user.  also the target/source directory
will be on the server machine, not the client machine.

one could get around this by shipping everything to the frontend app
and having the client side of libpq write the file.  postgres doesn't
do that.  since the code exists for copy to/from stdout/stdin this 
wouldn't be too hard to add (in principle).
--
  Paul M. Aoki  |  CS Div., Dept. of EECS, UCB  |  [email-masked]
                |  Berkeley, CA 94720-1776      |  ...!uunet!ucbvax!aoki