Subject: Linux port problems

From: "E. Drew Einhorn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 1995 14:08:49 -0700 (MST)

Hello.

I have ftp'd the binary and source distributions from s2k-ftp.cs.berkeley.edu.

The binaries appear to be working.  But since eventually (after I learn a
lot more) I would like to try to finish up some of the loose ends that were
left when Berkeley dropped the project, then go on and add some enhancements
of my own.

Anyway, my next step is trying to build the binaries from the sources for
the linux distrution.  When I try building the "pl1" sources I find I am
missing the header file dld.h

Next problem.  There are a couple versions of "pl2" diffs: pl2.diff.absolute
and pl2.diff.relative.  Neither of these appear to be exact fits for the
source tree that results from extracting the "pl1" archives.  Am I doing
something wrong?  Or are these the wrong diffs?

Thanks

==============================================================================
   To add/remove yourself to/from the POSTGRES mailing list: send mail with 
   the subject line ADD or DEL to "[email-masked]".
   If this fails, send mail to "[email-masked]" and
   a human will deal with it.  DO NOT post to the "postgres" mailing list.
==============================================================================
              URL: http://s2k-ftp.CS.Berkeley.EDU:8000/postgres/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 95 08:35 EST

...

That's a seperate library, dynamic link editing library.
 tsx-11.mit.edu:/pub/linux/sources/libs/dld-src-3.2.5.tar.gz
 tsx-11.mit.edu:/pub/linux/binaries/libs/dld-bin-3.2.5.tar.gz (linux binaries)

You want to use the pl2.diff.relative. cd to your pl1 src dir and do:
patch < pl2.diff.relative

There's also a linux-postgres group. Administrative address is 
[email-masked] (put ADD or DEL in subject)
posting email address is: [email-masked].

-- 
Jeffrey Thompson       Check out Linux-OS Talk Area: telnet moo.du.org 8888
Linux is great!                                      connect guest
                       to talk: say Hello World      @go #11848
                                                     @quit    (when done)

---

From: [email-masked] (Kai Petzke)
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 1995 16:05:17 +0100 (MET)

> missing the header file dld.h

Please read the file README.src, which is found in the same
directory as the source distribution.  It contains the following
paragraph (among others):

	Dynamic loading of functions requires the dld library
	(latest version is 3.2.4) from tsx-11.mit.edu, directory
	/pub/linux/sources/libs or /pub/linux/binaries/libs.
	Install this library in /usr/lib and the include files in
	/usr/include, or modify the main Postgres Makefiles to
	represent where you put the library.

> something wrong?  Or are these the wrong diffs?

The files are as follows:

pl2.diff.absolute: apply this patch to the standard Berkeley Postgres
		   distribution
pl2.diff.relative: apply this patch to the Postgres for Linux source
		   (as found in the pl1.src.tar.gz file).

Maybe, you tried to apply the wrong patch first, which only got
halfway through, and then tried the other, so that some changes
were already done, some were not.

Please retry from scratch.  I just did the following, and
experienced no problems at all:

	tar xfvz pl1.src.tar.gz
	zcat pl2.diff.relative.gz | patch -p0

The patch went all the way through; no hunk failed, no warnings
about fuzz or offseted lines.

Kai