Subject: postgres trivia

From: [email-masked] (Daniel Turk)
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1993 13:08:30 -0400 (EDT)

Hi.  This is a trivia question.  I'm actually wondering what the answer
is.....

How do you pronounce the word "Postgres"?  Does it sound like "gers" (as
in 'fingers') or like "gres" (as in 'rest')?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dan Turk     Computer Science & Information Systems     Andrews University
Berrien Springs, MI          [email-masked]               (616) 471-3426
==========================================================================

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul M. Aoki)
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 93 19:52:50 -0700

> in 'fingers') or like "gres" (as in 'rest')?

"ingres" was always pronounced "in-gress" even though the painter's
name is something like "on-ger" (i'm not a art history or french major,
sorry).

since "postgres" is "post-ingres", it is pronounced "post-gress".

the follow-on DDBMS project has been given a much more euphonious name
("mariposa").
--
  Paul M. Aoki  |  CS Div., Dept. of EECS, UCB  |  [email-masked]
                |  Berkeley, CA 94720           |  ...!uunet!ucbvax!aoki