Subject: Improving database load speed

From: [email-masked] (Song W. Koh)
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 93 08:29:07 -0800

POSTGRES Experts:

I am working on a project which requires loading 10 - 20 MB of
electrical measurement data frequenly.  Almost all of the data is
floating point.  I am loading into 7 classes, about 100 instances at a
time.

I am using PQexec("append ....").  

Currently it take over 2 minutes to load a test which is about 700
instances. 

System monitors, show that it is waiting for the disk drive most of
the time.

Here are my questions:

1. Will using "copy" or "copy binary" improve disk access => improved
	speed?

2. Is there any other way to make the disk access more efficient?

Thanks in advance,

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Song Koh			Harris Semiconductor
[email-masked]		MS 62-022
Voice: (407)-724-7085		P. O Box 883 (US mail) 
Fax:   (407)-729-4960		Palm Bay Road (UPS)
				Melbourne, FL 32902-0883
------------------------------------------------------------------------