Subject: Re: SIMarkEntryData cache state reset

From: [email-masked] (Paul M. Aoki)
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 95 14:18:11 -0800

"V.Grabner" <[email-masked]> writes:
> NOTICE   Mar  3 010834   SIMarkEntryData  cache state reset

this message is a NOTICE, which does not in itself cause an abort or a
core dump or anything.  this particular message simply means that the
Shared Invalidation buffer overflowed -- "too many" metadata (catalog)
updates occurred.  when a given backend makes a catalog update, it
places an invalidation message into a shared memory queue.  this queue
is read by the other servers when they commit their current
transaction and is used to invalidate entries in the internal system
metadata caches (e.g., pg_class and pg_attribute entries).  an
overflow means that everything will get invalidated and is typically
caused by one or more servers sitting too long without committing.

the other message (about the other backends exiting) is due to one or
more backends having dumped core.  the only way to know what happened
there is to fire up gdb.
--
  Paul M. Aoki          |  University of California at Berkeley
  [email-masked]  |  Dept. of EECS, Computer Science Division (#1776) 
                        |  Berkeley, CA 94720-1776