Subject: running the backend interactively

From: Peter van Oosterom <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 92 8:44:03 MET DST

Dear Postgres group,

I have some problems with running the backend interactively.
First the postmaster is killed, then the backend is started (postgres -s geo).
After giving the correct answer to the first query, the backend crashes.
The reason for using the backend interactively, is that I want to do
some performance measurements.

This used to work in earlier versions, but now (on my sparc under 
sunos 4.0.1) Postgres V3.1 crashes. Any clues? Or alternatives for
doing performance measurements.

Regards, Peter van Oosterom.

---

From: postarch (Postgres Mailing Archive)
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 92 13:42:54 PDT

> doing performance measurements.

This should work.  Are you saying that the same set of queries works when
you are running under the postmaster?  That would be very strange, as it
shouldn't make a difference.

Jeff Meredith
[email-masked]

p.s. For those of you who have never heard of running the backend
     interactively... This mode of operation is only used for debugging
     and measuring raw backend performance.  It is not intended for
     regular use.  Without the postmaster, concurrently backends do not
     share memory and therefore you will not have any concurrency
     control.  This could easily lead to strange and unexpected results.