Subject: Using pgbrowse with postgres-v4r2

From: [email-masked] (J. Douglas Dunlop)
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 1994 17:25:43 -0400

Dear postgres users:

I have recently upgraded our version of postgres to the latest beta release
found in:

        ftp://s2k-ftp.CS.Berkeley.EDU//pub/postgres/postgres-v4r2.beta

After one false start building the binaries, everything appears to working
fine under HP-UX 9.03, except that  pgbrowse no longer works. We have come
to rely on pgbrowse as a fast and easy to use tool to browse our postgres
databases and would dearly love to get it working again.

I have downloaded the latest release of pgbrowse-v3.1b from:

        ftp://crseo.ucsb.edu/pub/pgbrowse/

and applied the  2 patches found there too. I get various errors using
pgbrowse, some of which I have fixed by editing the *.tcl files found in
the lib directory to change the syntax of the postquel commands. I seem to
be fighting a losing battle though, and have not succeeded in getting it to
work properly.

In particular I can do "retrieve all" on a class, but if I attempt to do
specific queries or appends then the order of the fields submitted is
exactly reversed from what are entered in the query window. I just don't
know tcl well enough to figure out how to fix that. In addition pgbrowse
just dies from time to time. I could be more specific about the problems if
needed.

I have two related questions:

1. Has anyone got pgbrowse working properly with the latest postgres
release? Or made significant progress getting it to work?

2. There was mention in the postgres mailing list awhile back about a new
version of pgbrowse that is due soon. Is the there a projected release date
yet?

Any information about using postgres v4r2 and pgbrowse would be greatly
appreciated.

Regards,

Doug
________
                       Earth Observations Lab
    _/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/   Institute for Space and Terrestrial Sciences
   _/     _/  _/ _/    4850 Keele St.,2nd Floor
  _/_/   _/  _/ _/     North York, Ontario
 _/     _/  _/ _/      Canada,M3J-3K1           [email-masked]
_/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/_/_/   W:416-665-5411 H:705-445-9320 F:416-665-2032
                       http://www.eol.ists.ca/~dunlop/dunlop.html

==============================================================================
   To add/remove yourself to/from the POSTGRES mailing list: send mail with 
   the subject line ADD or DEL to "[email-masked]"

   If this fails, send mail to "[email-masked]" and
   a human will deal with it.  DO NOT post to the "postgres" mailing list.
==============================================================================