Subject: Demo Problems

From: [email-masked] (Howard Bell)
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 92 11:34:03 -0700

Hi ho! 
I am having problems getting Postgres  v3r1 to work properly with 
the "DEMO" scripts.  Particularly  Script-16, defining rule 'example_2',
 will will cause a 'DefineFatal' error (DefineFatal 1: CacheIdInvalidate
 cacheid =20  relation id ?).  This then causes the front-end, Monitor,
 to quit on the next command.  However, Script-15, defining rule 
'example_1', executes properly!  I have tried reentering  the Demo 
database through Monitor and redefine 'example_2' manually, but it 
tells me that rule 'example_2' already exists. I have also tried 
deleting rules 'example_2' and 'example_1', but a RemoveFatal error 
was encountered on each and again monitor quit on the next command. 
 In frustration,  I have gone back back to POSTGRES v3r0 to see if I
 could get rid of the problem.  I am still encountering the 
same problems.   I have reinstalled each from the tar files 
and I have gone back and recompiled the system kernal to ensure 
that the proper setup exists.
Is there any cure for this?  I am 
pulling out what little hair I have left!!!

PS : There is a version of Postgres for SGIs!!
****************************************************************************
BBBBBBBBBB     RRRRRRRRRR      OOOOOOOOOO     CCCCCCCCCC   KKK     KKK
BBB      BBB   RRR     RRR    OOOOOOOOOOOO   CCCCCCCCCCC   KKK    KKK
BBB       BBB  RRR      RRR   OOO      OOO   CCC           KKK   KKK
BBB      BBB   RRR     RRR    OOO      OOO   CCC           KKK  KKK
BBBBBBBBBB     RRRRRRRRR      OOO      OOO   CCC           KKKKKKK
BBBBBBBBBB     RRRRRRRRR      OOO      OOO   CCC           KKKKKKK
BBB      BBB   RRR    RRR     OOO      OOO   CCC           KKK  KKK
BBB       BBB  RRR     RRR    OOO      OOO   CCC           KKK   KKK
BBB      BBB   RRR      RRR   OOOOOOOOOOOO   CCCCCCCCCCC   KKK    KKK
BBBBBBBBBB     RRR      RRR    OOOOOOOOOO     CCCCCCCCCC   KKK     KKK
****************************************************************************
			       Howard Bell
			       (s9073925)
		  [email-masked]
			     Brock University
			 St. Catharines, Ontario,
				 Canada.
****************************************************************************
			      UUU      UUU
			      UUU      UUU
			      UUU      UUU 
			      UUU      UUU
			      UUU      UUU
			      UUU      UUU
			      UUU      UUU
			      UUU      UUU
			      UUUUUUUUUUUU
  			       UUUUUUUUUU
****************************************************************************