Subject: postgres v4r2

From: [email-masked] (Paul M. Aoki)
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 94 18:56:10 -0700

well, ok.  time to stop.

support has been added for solaris 2.3.  you will need either the sunpro 
compiler or a slightly hacked version of gcc.  a pre-hacked gcc is in 
ftp://s2k-ftp.cs.berkeley.edu/pub/postgres/useful.  thanks to frank 
delahoyde for a very clean port.  i did catch one serious multiuser 
bug (it was our fault for abusing signal/longjmp) so you almost
certainly want to pick up this code if you are running on solaris.

fixes for osf/1 2.0 and hp-ux 9.03 have also been incorporated.  hp-ux
9.03 has a severely damaged c preprocessor; there are mandatory patches.
also, ultrix 4.4 works, even though it's not listed in the doc as being 
tested.  somehow, the compiler on the aix (3.2.5) box i use also broke
(probably an upgrade).  if you couldn't get 4.2beta to compile on an
aix box recently, try this instead.

the postmaster bug on sunos4 has been fixed.  so has the portal name
thingy.  and a few other things that escape me at the moment.

all ports pass regress/* and the feeble multiuser tests.  i only tested
the actual tar file on solaris, sunos, ultrix and hp-ux before running 
out of energy.  if you have major problems on aix or osf/1 send mail to
bug-postgres@postgres.  oh, wait.  there is a flaky bug on solaris using
sunpro cc (but not, as far as i have seen, gcc); you may see

Query sent to backend is "retrieve (max_3_7 = float8max{student.gpa}) "
---------------
| max_3_7     |
---------------
| 3.1         |
---------------

in regress.out.  i haven't tracked that down -- i've only had a couple 
of days to play with the sunpro compiler.

after a week or so the master source tree (with RCS logs) will get 
dumped into a tar file as well, at which point anyone can feel free to 
declare ownership, if they like.
--
  Paul M. Aoki  |  CS Div., Dept. of EECS, UCB  |  [email-masked]
                |  Berkeley, CA 94720-1776      |  ...!uunet!ucbvax!aoki

==============================================================================
   To add/remove yourself to/from the POSTGRES mailing list: send mail with 
   the subject line ADD or DEL to "[email-masked]"

   If this fails, send mail to "[email-masked]" and
   a human will deal with it.  DO NOT post to the "postgres" mailing list.
==============================================================================