Subject: rule execution

From: [email-masked] (Aarti Pai)
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 1995 16:58:02 -0600

I am new to Postgres.  I am using the 4.2 version. 
I've defined several rules on a single relation.
I would like to execute a certain rule.  
How do I go about doing this?  There is no information
on the "execute" command in the reference manual.  (If that
is the appropriate command.)  I appreciate your help.

Aarti Pai 	[email-masked]

==============================================================================
   To add/remove yourself to/from the POSTGRES mailing list: send mail with 
   the subject line ADD or DEL to "[email-masked]".
   If this fails, send mail to "[email-masked]" and
   a human will deal with it.  DO NOT post to the "postgres" mailing list.
==============================================================================
              URL: http://s2k-ftp.CS.Berkeley.EDU:8000/postgres/

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul M. Aoki)
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 95 19:28:36 -0800

[email-masked] (Aarti Pai) writes:
> I am new to Postgres.  I am using the 4.2 version.  I've defined
> several rules on a single relation.  I would like to execute a
> certain rule.  How do I go about doing this?

the only way to execute a rule is to fire it (i.e., by running a
query that matches the condition under which it is supposed to be
triggered).

if two rules are defined in such a way that you cannot formulate a
query that does not trigger one without triggered the other, then you
lose.  there is no way to turn off rules temporarily (though you can
remove them, of course).
--
  Paul M. Aoki          |  University of California at Berkeley
  [email-masked]  |  Dept. of EECS, Computer Science Division (#1776) 
                        |  Berkeley, CA 94720-1776

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul M. Aoki)
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 95 19:28:36 -0800