Subject: Postgres Behavior

From: [email-masked] (Djamal Bennouar)
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 92 11:13:03 -0800

Dear Postgres Designers
I plan to use postgres as storage system for a VLSI frameWork. The test i have done
showed that the loading time is very short. First I have interpreted that this is 
due to Shared Memory Postgres Use, because the aplication and backend were 
running in the same machine. In another test, i runned backed in a machine
and the aplication in another machine. I found that loading time (retrieving)
is closer to the first one.
I would apreciate if you can explain  me the behavior of postgres in the two
situation: when running in the same machine of aplication and when 
running in a different host
Thanks
Djamal BENNOUAR

---

From: postarch (Postgres Mailing Archive)
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 92 12:28:01 PST

you write:
> I plan to use postgres as storage system for a VLSI frameWork. The test i hav
 +e done
> showed that the loading time is very short. First I have interpreted that thi
 +s is 
> running in a different host

The only difference between these two cases is the extra overhead you will
have due to shipping queries, data, and results over the network.  Otherwise 
the timings should be the same.

Jeff Meredith
[email-masked]