Subject: come and get it!

From: [email-masked] (Paul M. Aoki)
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 93 09:56:22 PDT

look in toe.cs.berkeley.edu:pub/personal/aoki/aix-prealpha.tar.Z

this is simply a snapshot of a copy of the postgres source tree
(plus the binaries, other installed stuff and an empty database)
that i have compiled and run our wimpy regression tests on.  since
no release engineering has been done, expect to find more than the
usual number of inconsistencies between the doc and the code.  the
user manual in particular needs a bunch o' work.. i've marked the
worst bogosities in the user manual but there's more bogo than info
in it right now :-P

(if you try to run it before rebuilding it, remember to set PGDATA 
and PATH and all that before starting the postmaster.  the default
hardcoded paths are not set to /usr/local/postgres for reasons that
i won't go into.)

(if you do rebuild, it's easiest to just dork with 
	src/obj/Makefile.global
to set/unset stuff.  you should set PORTNAME in 
	src/Makefile.global
you will have to do this and then build bmake before doing anything 
else -- try "Bootstrap aix" in src/tools/bmake)

i have not observed any problems with zombie servers, servers not
releasing resources, etc. that reinhard reported with 4.0.1.  if you 
encounter anything strange i can ask around at UC santa barbara (the 
people who own the aix box) to see how the system was configured.

an aside:
don't even think about trying to use the bmake port for anything
complicated.  the 'ar' archive support code is just barely kludged
into something compilable right now (bmake does fine building 
postgres, since our build system doesn't use those features, but 
awful things will undoubtedly occur if you actually try to use it 
to update a library archive).
--
  Paul M. Aoki  |  CS Div., Dept. of EECS, UCB  |  [email-masked]
                |  Berkeley, CA 94720           |  ...!uunet!ucbvax!aoki