Subject: Re: temp-XXXXX files

From: [email-masked] (A. Cheng)
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 92 11:28:46 -0700

> Also many ".nfsXXXX" files are generated and left there.

Those are from NFS.  The following is the "BUGS" section of the
man page NFS(4):

BUGS
     When a file that is opened by a client is unlinked  (by  the
     server),  a  file with a name of the form .nfsXXX (where XXX
     is a number) is created by the client.  When the  open  file
     is  closed,  the  .nfsXXX  file  is  removed.  If the client
     crashes before the file can be closed, the .nfsXXX  file  is
     not removed.

---

From: [email-masked] (Jaye Mathisen)
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 92 12:10:29 -0700

> > Also many ".nfsXXXX" files are generated and left there.

NFS creates these to keep track of NFS mounted files.

-- 
 Jaye Mathisen, COE Systems Manager                (406) 994-4780
 410 Roberts Hall,Dept. of Computer Science
 Montana State University,Bozeman MT 59717	osyjm@{cs,coe}.montana.edu