Subject: no response from backend with new dbs

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 94 09:31:51 CDT

I can use any databases that already exist but when I create
a new one I get no response from the backend. I have tried 
killing and restarting the postmaster and ipccleaning without
any success. Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks in advance,

-J. Alfredo Sanchez.                            [email-masked]
________________________________________________________________________

P.S. I am using postgres 4.1. An example session follows:

hrl6%> monitor asmtest
Welcome to the C POSTGRES terminal monitor

Go 
* retrieve (Objects.all)\g

Query sent to backend is "retrieve (Objects.all)"
-----------------------------
| id          | components  |
-----------------------------
| 59552       | 0           |
-----------------------------
| 60224       | (null)      |
-----------------------------
| 76718       | 0           |
-----------------------------

Go 
* \q
I live to serve you.

hrl6%> createdb newdb
hrl6%> monitor newdb
Welcome to the C POSTGRES terminal monitor

Go 
* create  Objects(id=oid, components=oid) \g

Query sent to backend is "create  create Objects(id=oid, components=oid) "
Error: No response from the backend, exiting...

hrl6%> 

==============================================================================
   To add/remove yourself to/from the POSTGRES mailing list: send mail with 
   the subject line ADD or DEL to "[email-masked]"

   If this fails, send mail to "[email-masked]" and
   a human will deal with it.  DO NOT post to the "postgres" mailing list.
==============================================================================

---

From: [email-masked] (Kai Petzke)
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 1994 01:33:20 +0100 (MET)

> any success. Any suggestions anyone?

I can think of two possible reasons:

- your template1 database is corrupted.  template1 holds an empty
  database structure, which is copied to the new database by
  createdb.

- one of your system files, like pg_database, is corrupted.

In either case, I recommend you to "copy out" the complete
database structure, recreate everything from scratch (with
initdb; you won't probably have to recompile postgres), and
re-load the database with "copy in".

Kai