Subject: saving monitor session

From: [email-masked] (Raymond D. Frost)
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 92 21:09:21 -0800

Is there a way to capture an entire session with monitor in an ultrix
file?  I would like to be able to save both my queries and the results
or error messages which are generated.

Raymond Frost
University of Miami

---

From: George Hartzell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 92 23:14:51 -0800

>or error messages which are generated.

The unix command "script" will probably do what you want.  Check out
the man page for the details, but something like:

 script myoutputfile

will start a new shell, with everything you and the computer type
copied into the file named "myoutputfile".  You can then go ahead and
run monitor.  Exiting the shell will close the file and return you to
your original shell.

Script saves *everything* that gets sent to the terminal, including
editing characters (e.g. backspaces...), newlines, and the terminal's
escape characters (if you happen to do something like start vi up
while using script...).  You may want to edit the file after you close
it to make it more presentable.

g.

George Hartzell                                         voice: (415) 725-7421
Stanford Yeast Genome Project                           fax:   (415) 723-7016
Stanford School of Medicine, Rm S337   email: [email-masked]
Stanford, CA 94305-5120