Subject: Postgres for commercial Use

From: [email-masked] (Uma Krishnan)
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 92 07:47:31 -0700

I have some basic questions to ask about Postgres. They are the following:
If this is a FAQ,
then please excuse and give me a pointer to the FAQ). 

1.  I understand postgres is not a standard RDBMS, but has several
    extensions that make it more powerful. What are these extenstionsR ?.
    I know that these are user-defined operators, User defined functions,
    inhertitance etc. I was wondering from a relational point of view
    how is it implemented (A syntax list of these extensions maybe ..)

2.  Is there support for stored procedures, database security etc ?

3.  We are OEMs and build newspaper software. Our customers are very
    conservative. Our DB design problems are complex enough, to look at
    a lateral solution. OODBMS is too new and the products not stabilised
    - so I'd rather not get into that. So then my question, is Postgres
    stable enough to be incorporated as a DB solution. Are there any
    third party products such as report writer etc. that make Postgres a
    viable commercial offering ? In fact, has anybody used postgres in
    for their commercial product. If so, why did they choose it over
    standard RDBMS packages ? 
3.  What plans exist to support SQL ? In the meantime, does a SQL parser
    exists that converts to QUEL and passes to Postgres ?

If others are interested and I do get responses, I will be happy to
summarise on the network.

Thanks a million in advance

Uma Krishnan