Subject: Postmaster startup problem

From: [email-masked] (Edmond Mesrobian)
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 93 11:48:34 -0800

Hi,
  I just installed Postgres 2.1 on a Sparc 10 running 4.1.3. I created a
Postgres user with a uid NOT equal to 6. I get the following problem when
starting postmaster:

[retina@ /usr/local/postgres] [12]
% postmaster &
[1] 4893
[retina@ /usr/local/postgres] [13]
% IpcMemoryAttach: shmat() failed: Permission denied

I got around this problem in Postgres 4.0.1 by setting the uid to 6. Do I need
to set the uid to 6?

..Edmond

---

From: Mike Olson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1993 12:26:54 -0800

In message <[email-masked]>you write:

>   I just installed Postgres 2.1 on a Sparc 10 running 4.1.3.

presumably this is postgres 4.1...

> I created a

do an 'ipcs'; someone already owns the shared memory regions that the
postmaster is trying to create.  do you have a postmaster currently
running?
					mike

---

From: Michael Ubell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 93 14:12:49 -0800

> presumably this is postgres 4.1...

Thats awfully presumptuous of you.  Perhaps he was doing backward compatibility
testing?

---

From: Edmond Mesrobian <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 93 14:52:39 PST

>postmaster is trying to create.  do you have a postmaster currently

Hi,
  I did do an ipcs and found out that there were active segments owned by
postgres (4.0.1). I guess I should not have killed postmaster with a kill -9
before I did the 4.1 install. All is fine now!

thanks,
Edmond