Subject: Problems in initdb command...

From: Xinguo Wei <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 1994 17:28:10 -0800 (PST)

Hi there,

I just installed Postgres 4.2 onto DEC Alpha OSF/1 box.  Everything went 
fine but when I issued initdb command, it generated the following error 
message.  Does anybody know the possible reasons? Thanks.

% initdb
WARN:Nov  7 17:06:47:pg_atoi: error reading "778": Result too large
        syntax error 20 : syntax error  syntax error 20 : syntax error  
.......

X.Wei

P.S. My postgres is a preliminary release of POSTGRES version 4.2 which was
out in April. Because the ftp site at Berkeley is temparily down now, can 
anybody tell me other ftp site to get the final release?  Thanks.

==============================================================================
   To add/remove yourself to/from the POSTGRES mailing list: send mail with 
   the subject line ADD or DEL to "[email-masked]"

   If this fails, send mail to "[email-masked]" and
   a human will deal with it.  DO NOT post to the "postgres" mailing list.
==============================================================================

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul M. Aoki)
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 94 20:40:05 -0800

Xinguo Wei <[email-masked]> writes:
[dec osf/1]
> out in April.

i think that version had a problem with osf/1 version x.y where x<2.
i believe what's in the final tar file builds on 2.1; at least, i've
been using it on 3.0.
--
  Paul M. Aoki          |  University of California at Berkeley
  [email-masked]  |  Dept. of EECS, Computer Science Division (#1776) 
                        |  Berkeley, CA 94720-1776