Subject: postgres is slow?

From: David Bigagli <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 1995 16:16:16 +0100

Hi all,
  we are using postgres as our database for users accounting. We have
  two milions of records in the db.  Each instance has 8 fields.
  We defined an index on one of these fileds. When we run a query on
  all records, i.e. from the initial time of accounting up today
  postgres takes 11 minutes to give us the answer. This seems to us to be
  very slow and not acceptable. We also have observed that if we define
  another index the performance slow down. Do you have any idea why the
  postgres is so slow?
  We are using the libpq interface to our queries. When the request to
  postgres is running whe see that the cpu is very busy
  and the VSZ and RSZ fields grow up. This is an indication that postgres
  is working in memory, (copying buffers??).  Is it possible to
  retrieve data directly from db bypassing the portal?
  Any help will be appreciated,thanks

                                David&Ruten
~

==============================================================================
   To add/remove yourself to/from the POSTGRES mailing list: send mail with 
   the subject line ADD or DEL to "[email-masked]".
   If this fails, send mail to "[email-masked]" and
   a human will deal with it.  DO NOT post to the "postgres" mailing list.
==============================================================================
              URL: http://s2k-ftp.CS.Berkeley.EDU:8000/postgres/