Subject: error in retrieve command

From: Bart Maessen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 93 15:59:16 MET DST

Dear Sirs,

Something goes wrong when one uses the retrieve command on a table which
has many attributes.
e.g.

use the following create command:
create weg_l( id=int4,transmittal=int4,kind=text,AP030=text, ACC=float8,
state_condition=text,weight_wheel_one=float8, weight_wheel_two=float8,
weight_track_one=float8,weight_track_two=float8, nr_of_tracks=float8,
median=text,overhead=float8,overhead_obs=text, kind_of_road=text,
transportation=text,width=float8,weather=text, bbox=box)

the following retrieve command generates an error:
retrieve (weg_l.all)

The error is :
Error: Unexpected identfier in dump_data: w

Bart Maessen
Physics and Electronics Laboratory, TNO
The Netherlands
e-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul M. Aoki)
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 93 14:18:17 -0700

> transportation=text,width=float8,weather=text, bbox=box)

i think this is the dreaded "actually using 16 characters in a char16" 
bug.  char16 is *not* NULL-delimited.  some code is correctly written.
some is not. :-P

this cruft is all over.  the worst offenders are the utility commands
(i.e., things that manipulate attribute names, class names, etc.).
we're working on it.  meanwhile, use of >15 characters in any char16 
system identifiers (like attribute names, etc.) is highly discouraged.
--
  Paul M. Aoki  |  CS Div., Dept. of EECS, UCB  |  [email-masked]
                |  Berkeley, CA 94720           |  ...!uunet!ucbvax!aoki