Subject: Re: Postgres on a PC

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 92 00:58:13 -0700

I sometimes think people don't read this mail list {*grin*}.

As I have announced before, I have rewritten/modified/created a full version
of libpq to use Microsoft C and the ftp, Inc. PC/TCP networking library
running under MSDOS.

It would be a simple matter to create a monitor program for MSDOS using
the supplied libpq.  I have supplied Neil McQuaig (...uunet!mcquaig!nmm)
with the code for the library and I believe he is currently working on a
such a monitor replacement.  Contact him directly for details.

Source code for my version of libpq is available on request.  We use it
heavily in an in-house system and have had no problems.  (Our application
is a client-server technical support prototype, MSDOS and Windows clients
and a Sun SS2 as the database server.)  The code is fully prototyped and
somewhat divorced from the original postgres libpq - it was simpler to do
a full house cleaning than to try to port directly.  MSC 6.XX and 7.00
both work fine with code.

Re: actually porting the postgres backend - even I am not insane enough
to try porting that morass of code to MSDOS.

		Dr. Daniel L. Jones
		[email-masked]