Subject: Has anyone ported Postgres to an RS/6000 (AIX)?

From: "Lester I. McCann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 92 20:13:02 -0700

Please excuse the intrusion; I'm not on the Postgres mailing list -- but
will join if I get the right answer to my question. :-)

Our department has an IBM RS/6000 running AIX.  We'd like to know if
anyone has successfully ported Postgres to the AIX platform, and, if
so, would be willing to summarize for us the changes that were made.
Our school (U of Central Oklahoma) is not yet on the net, and we'd
rather not order a tape and attempt the port ourselves unless
we have some reason to believe we can pull it off while retaining our
hair and sanity.  Best of all, of course, would be someone who is
able and willing to make us a tape of their port.

Please drop me an email reply if you can help answer our query.  We'll
gladly accept any and all leads and advice.

Lester McCann
Department of Computing Science
University of Central Oklahoma
100 N. University Drive
Edmond, OK  73034
(405) 341-2980 x5292 (office); x5717 (dept. office)
[email-masked]

---

From: Chris Flatters <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 92 08:09:49 -0700

There may be fundamental problem with using POSTGRES under AIX.  AIX limits
each process to 10 attached shared memory segments.  I think this may be too
few for the POSTGRES backend.

Unfortunately it does not appear to be possible to reconfigure the kernel
with a larger limit.

	Chris Flatters
	[email-masked]