Subject: Help - FATAL error

From: Gunter Strube <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1993 13:21:38 +0200

Hi,

It looks like I'm in serious trouble. While I was working with postgres
all of the sudden i get the following reply to anything I type:

FATAL 1:Aug 23 11:56:08:process userid (519) != database owner (0)

even when I login as a superuser,
even when I try to create a database (this should not have a user yet)
even when I try to create a user.
It seems like I cannot do anything anymore.

What can I do ?
(The only thing I can think of is kick out the whole postgres package
and reinstall it - but I'd prefer another solution)

How could this have happened ?

Thanks
 Gunter
-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gunter Strube                                 Phone +49 89 551 743-74 
Institute of Electronic Design Automation    
Prof. Dr.-Ing. K. Antreich          
Technical University of Munich     
P.O. Box 202420                   
W-80290 Munich 2                 
Germany                            [email-masked]
------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul M. Aoki)
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 93 08:47:04 PDT

> FATAL 1:Aug 23 11:56:08:process userid (519) != database owner (0)

sounds like your postmaster is running as uid 519 but someone
mysteriously chown'd your postgres directories to be owned by root.
chown them back to uid 519.
--
  Paul M. Aoki  |  CS Div., Dept. of EECS, UCB  |  [email-masked]
                |  Berkeley, CA 94720           |  ...!uunet!ucbvax!aoki