Subject: multi-user database creation

From: John Peter Lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1993 09:48:45 -0500 (EST)

Hi:

   I actually have 2 questions:

   I'd like to know if there is any way to create a postgres DB
   that is "world readable" ?  We have a libpq application that
   can be executed by world (a data visualization package) that
   accesses a postgres database. Postgres does not allow access 
   to the DB if the user is not a valid postgres user. Is there
   a way around this, such that we do not have to make everyone
   a postgres user or use a single userid to run the visualization
   application ? Can the application set any fields or names to
   enable easy database access ?

   Also, with the time travel types; are these "standard interfaces"
   in the DBMS realm? Meaning, do other DBMS packages have a similar
   type of interface to specify time values ? Thus, if I go and enter
   time values into a Postgres DB as time types, can the libpq interface
   remain the same if I cahnge DBMSs ?

   Thank You

	jp

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
JP Lee               Institute for Visualization and Perception Research	
[email-masked]                    University of Massachusetts at Lowell 
(508) 934-3384			      1 University Ave. Lowell, MA 01854

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~