Subject: LIBPQ large object interface

From: [email-masked] (Raj Vadakkencherry)
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 1994 18:52:06 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I'm using the LIBPQ large object interface to creat (p_creat),
and write (p_write) to a large object as a Unix file.

When I'm done writing, I issue a p_close command and exit successfully,
but the file is not visible in the Unix file system. What do I
need to do to make the file visible ?

Raj

==============================================================================
   To add/remove yourself to/from the POSTGRES mailing list: send mail with 
   the subject line ADD or DEL to "[email-masked]"

   If this fails, send mail to "[email-masked]" and
   a human will deal with it.  DO NOT post to the "postgres" mailing list.
==============================================================================

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul M. Aoki)
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 94 21:22:08 -0700

[email-masked] (Raj Vadakkencherry) writes:
> but the file is not visible in the Unix file system.

the file will not be visible with the same name you give it.  the
/-delimited path is only useful within the virtual inversion file
system.  instead, it will have the name LOxxxxxx where xxxxxx is the
object id of the tuple in pg_naming that corresponds to the file name.
this file is located in the database directory.

if you want to use files that are visible within the regular unix name
space, you must use the external large object interface.  this is
turned off in the distribution for security reasons; see the LARGE
OBJECT ref manual page.
--
  Paul M. Aoki          |  University of California at Berkeley
  [email-masked]  |  Dept. of EECS, Computer Science Division (#1776) 
                        |  Berkeley, CA 94720-1776