Subject: text_ops problem

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 92 10:27:18 -0700

Greetings,

Regarding Postgres 4.0 bugs, it appears that creating a secondary
index on a field of type 'text' doesn't work.

	define index idx on dict using btree (word text_ops)

completes without error but an attempt to retrieve values on the
class 'dict' using a limiting clause operator '=' fails to ever
return values.

	retrieve (dict.all) where dict.word = "test"

fails.  Before generating the index, this query would return one or more
records.  After, it reliably returns nothing.  The whole scenario
works as expected if the type is char16 or any other type.  Anyone else
seen this?  (BTW, the behavior is consistent on both Dec Ultrix boxes
and Suns running SunOS)

*  ===\  |===|  ===\  *========================================================
*  |       |    |  |  *                 -Andrew Newman                        *
*  |==|    |    |==/  *                  C&IS Systems Technology & Planning   *
*     |    |    |     *                  Yale University                      *
*  \===    |    |     *                  ([email-masked])               *
*---------------------*========================================================