Subject: Re: postgres on AIX 3.1.x ???

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 1 May 92 18:53:25 -0700

I managed to trick the libpq part of postgres into building under AIX
3.1.5, although it took SOME doing. Anything I did is #ifdef'ed under
CMUCS. At one point, in complete exasperation with AIX cc, I had to
become root and mung  /usr/include/math.h to not declare class(), which
was giving cc FITS, for some as-yet unknown reason. Never the less, the
resulting .a file seems to work (I've tested it against the testlibpq.c
client given in the libpq man page and the tcl/postgres interface I
wrote, connecting to a backend running on a sun4).

I had to tweak the makefile/compiler options almost on a per-file basis,
and I'm not sure if I can reconstruct exactly what I did; I make no
guarantees that typing "make" in src/libpq will work. I've tar'ed my
source tree plus the #ifdef'ed version of math.h I created plus the
libpq.a binary plus the testlibpq program and made it available for
anonymous FTP on monch.edrc.cmu.edu under
/usr0/snl/archive/libpq-aix3.1.tar.Z.

Please note, you must do:
	ftp> cd /usr0/snl/archive
and not
	ftp> cd /usr0/snl
	ftp> cd archive
or any other such thing due to CMU security hacks in ftpd. Like most of
my net-releases, this is in the "hackware" category (read: not pretty).
Still, if anyone derives benefit from it, so much the better.

BTW, my postgres/tcl interface is under pg-tcl.tar.Z, same host, same
directory.

I am definitely going to need full ports of postgres for all of these
*ixes at some point, so if anyone out there is  really going to burn the
effort and do them (and is willing to share), please drop me a note so
that we don't all reinvent the wheel at the same time; my current hit
list is AIX 3.1.5,  HP-UX 8.0 or higher and Mach/BSD (this is tricky: I
have to finish up a SysV IPC emulation built on Mach primitives that
someone around here started but did not finish. Alternative: port
postgres to Mach from SysVisms (then it would work under OSF/1, I
think)... I have no idear how hard this would be). Of course, if I do it
first, I'll post, but it is low on the priority list at the moment.

Cheers,
		-- Sean
--
Sean Levy               		   `... from intuition we can pass to
CMU Engineering Design Research Center      analysis, but not from analysis to
n-dim Group                                 intuition.' --Henri Bergson
    E-Mail: [email-masked]   Fax: (412) 268 5229   Voice: Not bloody likely
            [email-masked]  - To report bugs in BOS
                   <--  Standard Disclaimers Apply  -->

---

From: [email-masked] (Chris Flatters)
Date: Mon, 4 May 92 09:28:18 -0700

> 
> > My understanding is that AIX doesn't support shared memory, so I don't
> > know if it is even possible to port postgres.  Any hard information on this?
> 
> It is possible, but the Postgres depends rather heavily on shared memory
> support and so porting becomes a bit more difficult. I'm not an os guru,
> but as I understand it there are ways of getting around this problem.

AIX 3.x.x _does_ support shared memory.  Check the shmat man page.

AIX conforms to the SVID (version 2) after all.

	Chris Flatters
	[email-masked]