Subject: Postgres and Ultrix 4.3

From: "John C. Sieg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 92 14:23:02 -0800

We're running Postgres on a DecSystem 5500.   Since upgrading
to Ultrix 4.3, Postgres crashes the OS as soon as any user
(including user Postgres) issues a createdb.  We did not have
this problem on the old Ultrix.

   Is anyone else out there running Postgres under Ultrix 4.3?
Can anyone suggest what may be happening?

   Thanks.

-John Sieg
 UMass/Lowell

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 92 14:28:59 PST

> Can anyone suggest what may be happening?

consider this an all-points bulletin.  postgres on 4.3 behaves as
described above; there are some people here looking at the problem,
but no fix has yet been found.  for the time being, you should not
install postgres under ultrix 4.3 unless you need a handy way for
users to halt workstations without becoming superuser.

					mike