Subject: Re: Help for process userid

From: George Hartzell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 93 21:46:31 -0700

Room_701_a writes:
   >Dear postgresters:
   >
   >	 I got a preinstalled version of postgres-v4r1 at ftp.uu.net.
   >I got postgres-v4r1.sparc.tar.Z-split. And I make a symbolic linke
   >from my usr/local/postgres to it. Everything is ok. But..
   >
   >	 When I run cleardbdir , that's ok! When I run initdb, that's ok
   >too. But When I run createdb, the error message pop up like this:
   >
   >FATAL1: Apr 19 09:37:30:process userid(10) != database owner(0)

You probably have the postgress backend (postgres) setuid and owned by
a user (usually called postgres) who's uid is 10.  At somepoint (when
you ran initdb?) you ran it as root, so the databases got installed
woned by root.  I think that the fix is to blow away the database
directory and rebuild it, paying attention to who you're running as
when you do it.

   >	 I don't know what this mean ? Could you please answer it.
   >And could you tell me how to "run config over the config file,
   >install the new kernel, and reboot" at sparc classic? 

You should be able to find directions for that in your sunos/solaris
notes.  The short form is something like (these directions stolen from
a sun0s4.1.3 sparc 2 from /usr/sys/sun4c/conf/README):

[You might want to get some guidance from someone local if you've
never done this...].

1. Choose a name for your configuration of the system; here, PICKLE.
2. Create the config file by making a writable copy of GENERIC:
        cp GENERIC PICKLE; chmod +w PICKLE
3. Edit PICKLE to reflect your system, e.g., delete devices that will
   never be present on your system.
4. Run config:  
        /etc/config PICKLE
        (the directory ../PICKLE will be made if it doesn't exist and
        a "make depend" will be done unless you specify a "-n" flag)
5. Make the new system:
        cd ../PICKLE
        make
6. Typically the running kernel should be "/vmunix" because programs
   like 'ps' and 'w' expect "/vmunix" to be the running kernel.
   Save the original kernel, install the new one in /vmunix, and
   try it out:
        mv /vmunix /vmunix.old
        cp vmunix /vmunix
        /etc/halt
        b vmunix
7. If the system does not appear to work, boot and restore the
   original kernel, then fix the new kernel:
        /etc/halt
        b vmunix.old -s
        mv /vmunix.old /vmunix
        ^D      [Brings the system up multi-user]

g.

George Hartzell                                     [email-masked]
Computer Science, 570 Evans Hall,
University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720

---

From: [email-masked] (Room_701_a)
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1993 08:47:35 -0800 (PST)

Dear postgresters:

+=======================================================================+
| Bruce Chen (Chern Chou Hong)    | English Email:                      |
|                                 +=====================================+
| Chun Yuan University            | [email-masked]     |
| Computer Science                | [email-masked]      |
+=======================================================================+
|Chinese-mail(Big-5)[email-masked]|
+=======================================================================+