Subject: SPARC problem!

From: [email-masked] (Richard Vowles)
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 93 21:31:01 -0700

Greetings all.

I am working on setting up a POSTGRES system in our department
(Management Science and Information Systems, University Of Auckland).
We have managed to get a hold of a Sun 3/50 (8Mb RAM, 40Mb disk free,
SunOS 4.1, last update was around 04/90) to run it on, but have
encountered problems.

It is wanted by an Associate Professor, and two senior lecturers as
well as about six masters level students..... on a very limited budget :-)

I ftp'd the binaries, but they wouldn't run, so I compiled it again
and found that float.c wouldn't compile (#ifndef sparc was changed to
#ifndef PORTNAME_sparc). It finally compiled (after about 5 hours),
and then I tried initdb - no luck. I did the kernal mods, and that
seemed to compile OK.

These are the errors:

WARN:Jun 15 10:03:54:incorrect number of values for tuple
WARN:Jun 15 10:03:54:incorrect number of values for tuple
WARN:Jun 15 10:03:54:incorrect number of values for tuple
WARN:Jun 15 10:03:54:incorrect number of values for tuple
WARN:Jun 15 10:03:54:incorrect number of values for tuple
WARN:Jun 15 10:03:55:incorrect number of values for tuple
WARN:Jun 15 10:03:55:incorrect number of values for tuple
WARN:Jun 15 10:03:55:incorrect number of values for tuple
WARN:Jun 15 10:03:55:incorrect number of values for tuple
WARN:Jun 15 10:03:55:incorrect number of values for tuple
WARN:Jun 15 10:03:55:TypeDefine: procedure textin nonexistent
WARN:Jun 15 10:03:55:Error: unknown type 'oid'.

	syntax error 825 : syntax error	syntax error 826 : syntax
error	syntax error 826 : syntax error	syntax error 826 :
 syntax error	syntax error 826 : syntax error	syntax error 827 :
syntax error	syntax error 827 : 
syntax error	syntax error 827 : syntax error	syntax error 827 :
syntax error	syntax error 828 
: syntax error	syntax error 828 : syntax error	syntax error 828 :
syntax error	syntax error 828 
: syntax error	syntax error 829 : syntax error	syntax error 829 :
syntax error	syntax error 829 : 
syntax error	syntax error 829 : syntax error	syntax error 830 :
syntax error	syntax error 830 : 
syntax error	syntax error 830 : syntax error	syntax error 830 :
syntax error	syntax error 831 :
 syntax error	syntax error 831 : syntax error	syntax error 831 :
syntax error	syntax error 831 :
 syntax error	syntax error 832 : syntax error	syntax error 832 :
syntax error	syntax error 832 :
 syntax error	syntax error 833 : syntax error
/usr/local/postgres/bin/initdb: 4528 Memory fault - core dumped
initdb: could not create template database
initdb: cleaning up.

Anyone have any ideas?