Subject: Re: postgres system problems

From: kyongsok kim <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 91 17:32:26 -0700

> From: [email-masked]
> Subject: postgres system problems
> Date: Fri, 12 Jul 91 09:48:46 +1000

> Every day the postgres backend seems to stop working properly...
> I usually kill
> and restart the postmaster and things start working again (for a while).

I guess quite a few people (including me) reported this problem and this
problem seems to occur irrespective of the hardware/software you are
using.  I have not used postgres much since February 1991.  I have been
wondering if the problem has been fixed, since I plan to use postgres
again fairly much in the near future.

> Another thing I have noticed since we've been running postgres is that normal
> users (!root) cannot run ipcs properly, eg:
> 
> numbat:719% ipcs ...
>
> shmctl: Permission denied

I did not have any problem running ipcs on our machine.  I don't know why
you have a problem.

> It is
> very annoying having to continually check the system to make sure it is
> working.

Ditto.  I understand what you are talking about.  I vaguely remember that
I mentioned this is the first and biggest problem to be solved if
postgres is to be used uninterrupted.

k kim

---

From: kyongsok kim <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 91 17:41:58 -0700

> From kkim Thu Jul 11 19:32:12 1991
> To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Subject: Re:  postgres system problems

> > and restart the postmaster and things start working again (for a while).

When I reported this problem a few months ago (about Jan. or Feb. of this
year), I was told that, since postgres people usually use the BACKEND
directly, they did not notice this problem.  They seemed to think that the
problem lay with the communication portion of the frontend (monitor).

Hope it helps.

k kim