Subject: EMACS frontend, TK frontend for postgres ?

From: Gero Guenther <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 94 18:16:59 +0100

Hey folks,

are there any EMACS frontends, TK frontends for postgres under
development? Currendly I'm running postgress in a renamed shell buffer
with the MONITOR forntend to postgres. I want a (emacs) forms like
simple/fast imput/ouput frontend for EMACS. Advanced querys should be
in postquel. 

       T H E  S P A C E E N G I N E E R

---

From: Rich Chung <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 94 17:19:35 -0500

If there were, it would be on Harbor.ecn.purdue.edu.  I know that
there was one for Ingres but not sure that there is one for Postgres.
I seem, however, to remember someone mentioning one of these a few
months back.

Rich

---

From: Ton Biegstraaten <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 1994 09:31:03 +0100 (MET)

>  Hey folks, are there any EMACS frontends, TK frontends for postgres
> under development? Currendly I'm running postgress in a renamed
> shell buffer with the MONITOR forntend to postgres. I want a (emacs)
> forms like simple/fast imput/ouput frontend for EMACS. Advanced
> querys should be in postquel.

I don't know about an emacs frontend but there is something in the
tcl/tk domain.  There is a library PQTcl for tclX that implements
libpq for tcl.  There's also an old and very preliminary alpha release
(never to be finished however) of a browser. Both can be found on
harbor.ecn.purdue.edu.  They work for old versions of tcl/tk and the
browser is build with an old version of xf, the GUI builder for tk.  I
managed somehow to use them with the more recent tcl/tk/tclX/xf
releases on a sparc and a linux box, especially the browser needed
some hacking.

The library is very usefull, but I don't know if it's complete. Simple
queries work. The browser isn't very usefull at the moment in my
opinion. But it has some basic queries you can use to build a usefull
one. I try to buils something that fills my needs but as I am no expert
in both databases and tcl/tk/xf it's probably more private education
but if something usefull emerges I'll let you know.

Ton

-- 
Name: Ton Biegstraaten				Tel : +3115782467
Org.: TU Delft					Fax : +3115787141
      Julianalaan 132				Mail: [email-masked]
      2628 BL Delft, The Netherlands

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul M. Aoki)
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 1994 01:33:31 -0800

Ton Biegstraaten <[email-masked]> writes:
> > under development?
> if something usefull emerges I'll let you know.

anyone interested in a tk interface to postgres should probably
take a look at crseo.ucsb.edu:/pub/pgbrowse.
--
  Paul M. Aoki  |  CS Div., Dept. of EECS, UCB  |  [email-masked]
                |  Berkeley, CA 94720           |  ...!uunet!ucbvax!aoki

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 94 16:08:07 +0100

Are you sure that the symb. name 'crseo.ucsb.edu' is ok ?
If yes, then be so kind to give me the IP number, because 
I have no lookup for  'crseo.ucsb.edu': 

	ftp -i -v crseo.ucsb.edu
	crseo.ucsb.edu: unknown host

Tankx Gero#

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul M. Aoki)
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 94 18:40:34 -0800

> 	crseo.ucsb.edu: unknown host

your nameserver is probably timing out (which would be understandable)
and the ftp program is probably broken (doesn't handle NS timeout right)..

faerie:aoki (212)> nslookup crseo.ucsb.edu
Server:  orodruin-cs2.CS.Berkeley.EDU
Address:  128.32.149.109

Name:    crseo.ucsb.edu
Address:  128.111.100.50

---

From: Gero Guenther <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 94 17:00:01 +0100

Dear friends,

I have no nslookup for 'Harbor.ecn.purdue.edu',
would you be so kind to give me the IP number?

Tanx Gero.