Subject: BUG in v4r2 or . ..

From: [email-masked] (Sunay Tripathi)
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 95 20:58:05 IST

Dear Sir,

We at IITD are facing some problems with our postgres v4r2.
I have done a standard installation on a Sparc 10/30 running
standard Solaris 2.3 with patches.

I have 4-5 tables in which I am searching for some data. As
long as no of records are less than 3000 records (in each table) there
is no problem. But as soon as I add another 500 records, I get the
message

"FATAL: no response from backend: detected in dump_data"

I have not loaded any function in the backend. One of my sample query
was -

	"retrieve unique (Name.Name, Address.Street, Address.City, Address.Zip,
Address.State, Address.Country, Address.E_mail, Phone.Areacode, Phone.Phone)
where Name.Name="GOLDEN CACHE" and Address.State="CA" and Name.Idno=Address.Idno
 and Address.Idno=Phone.Idno"

NOW if I make exactly same structure and same records in a postgres v4r1
running on a Sparc 1+ with SUNOS 4.1.1, there is no problem with any
kind of queries at all.

Now my QUESTIONS ARE -

1) Is there any patch available for postgres that I need?
2) Do I have to make some kernel configurations (I have 64Mb RAM)
3) Where can I get some info on kind of queries to make (to improve
	efficiency).

I'll appreciate any help that I can get from anybody.

Thanks.

Sunay

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Sunay Tripathi, Senior Scientific Officer| Tel: +(91) 11 686-7431     |
ERNET, Dept. of Computer Science & Engg. | Fax: +(91) 11 686-8765     |
Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi,   |                            | 
e-mail : [email-masked]             | Tel: +(91) 11 301-7186(Res)|
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

==============================================================================
   To add/remove yourself to/from the POSTGRES mailing list: send mail with 
   the subject line ADD or DEL to "[email-masked]".
   If this fails, send mail to "[email-masked]" and
   a human will deal with it.  DO NOT post to the "postgres" mailing list.
==============================================================================
              URL: http://s2k-ftp.CS.Berkeley.EDU:8000/postgres/

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul M. Aoki)
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 95 20:09:36 -0800

> "FATAL: no response from backend: detected in dump_data"

the server dumped core into the database directory.  past that, it's
hard to tell from the information given.

> 3) Where can I get some info on kind of queries to make (to improve

judicious use of indices helps an awful lot.  also, if you do not
vacuum periodically, then the query optimizer has no information and
picks really stupid query plans.  some of this is covered in the user
manual.
--
  Paul M. Aoki          |  University of California at Berkeley
  [email-masked]  |  Dept. of EECS, Computer Science Division (#1776) 
                        |  Berkeley, CA 94720-1776