Subject: problems with postmaster

From: [email-masked] (Bjornar Tessem)
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 92 01:34:37 -0800

I am trying to install postgres-3.1 at my SUN SPARC1-station (SunOS 4.1.1).  
Everything has been working fine until I was going to create the bootstrap
template database. When I started the postmaster I got the following message

StreamServerPort: cannot bind to port

and the postmaster-program aborted.

Has anybody seen this message before, and in case what have you done to
fix the problem.

In advance, thanks,

Bjornar.

---

From: postarch (Postgres Mailing Archive)
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 92 13:57:49 PST

> Has anybody seen this message before, and in case what have you done to

Sounds like some other program may be using the default port of 4321.  To
specify a different port use the -p option for the postmaster.   Once you
use a different port in the postmaster you should set the environment variable
PGPORT to agree with the new port choice so that front-end applications will
know where to shout (libpq routines look for PGPORT values before using 4321).

Jeff Meredith
[email-masked]