Subject: Re: PQExec in Backend

From: [email-masked] (Paul M. Aoki)
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 93 14:20:10 -0700

[email-masked] writes:
> Is it legal to issue PQExec() and all the other libpq
> calls in a dynamically loaded function in the backend?

in general, it's not kosher to link bits of libpq into the backend.
even if you don't run into name-space conflicts and conflicts between
libpq frontend stub routines and the corresponding backend routines,
it doesn't make much sense to be making libpq calls (which connect to 
the postmaster and fork off another backend server) from inside a backend.
--
  Paul M. Aoki  |  CS Div., Dept. of EECS, UCB  |  [email-masked]
                |  Berkeley, CA 94720           |  ...!uunet!ucbvax!aoki

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1993 14:42:23 +22321159 (EDT)

I included the <tmp/libpq-be.h> file instead of
<tmp/libpq.h> and everything seems to compile and
link OK.

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------
"We're only immortal for a limited time..."

Bob Dugan	   [email-masked]  508-799-5150
Graduate Student   WPI CS Dept., Worcester, MA 01609
-----------------------------------------------------