Subject: Installing version 4 of postgres

From: [email-masked] (Ian Wibberley)
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 92 23:23:19 -0800

We are currently running version 3 of postgres, and have a moderately
large database that we run on it. We decided we should install version
4.0.1 of postgres. After running the appropriate programs, I copied
the old database files back to /usr/postgres/data/base. And couldn't
get my old program to run. It came up with the following errors:-

NOTICE:Nov  9 11:44:05:CatalogHasIndex: no relation with oid 83

NOTICE:Nov  9 11:44:05:CatalogHasIndex: no relation with oid 75

NOTICE:Nov  9 11:44:05:CatalogHasIndex: no relation with oid 81

NOTICE:Nov  9 11:44:05:CatalogHasIndex: no relation with oid 71

NOTICE:Nov  9 11:44:05:CatalogHasIndex: no relation with oid 90

NOTICE:Nov  9 11:44:05:CatalogHasIndex: no relation with oid 99

NOTICE:Nov  9 11:44:05:CatalogHasIndex: no relation with oid 100

WARN:Nov  9 11:44:05:heap_beginscan: !RelationIsValid(relation)

Error: No response from the backend, exiting...

My questions are

1) Why did I get those errors?

2) Can old data bases be used with a new version of the software? Or
should I do some sort of conversion?

3) Is it possible to install the new version of postgres somewhere
completely different, not in '/usr/postgres' so that we can carry on
using '/usr/postgres' with old versions of everything?

Best Wishes,

Ian
([email-masked])