Subject: git failures

From: Andrew Dunstan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2017 17:16:57 -0500

Recently a number of git failures have been seen like this:

    *** Please tell me who you are.

    Run

       git config --global user.email "[email-masked]"
       git config --global user.name "Your Name"

    to set your account's default identity.
    Omit --global to set the identity only in this repository.

    fatal: empty ident  <[email-masked]
    > not allowed

Notably on Debian/Ubuntu machines. I assume they have had some sort of 
recent git update.

Why it should care if you're not committing anything is beyond me. It 
seems quite pointless. However, It seems like the account you're running 
the buildfarm animal as needs a name and email address set to avoid this 
issue.

This applies particularly to members spurfowl, ibex and termite. Please 
fix them urgently so the failures email list doesn't get spammed.

cheers

andrew

-- 

Andrew Dunstan                https://www.2ndQuadrant.com
PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Remote DBA, Training & Services

-- 
Sent via buildfarm-members mailing list ([email-masked])
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/buildfarm-members

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2017 17:21:42 -0500

> Notably on Debian/Ubuntu machines. I assume they have had some sort of 

No, I do not think it's the fault of the buildfarm machines.  The problem
is that Magnus got rid of a bad commit into the 9.2 branch via "git reset"
not "git revert", cf

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CABUevEzrD-BYtQOQ22navkoWquOC5TcqPcBS_iQ2cYqaK9_39g%40mail.gmail.com

and these three machines seem to have been quick enough to see the
intermediate state and get confused by it.  I'm not very sure why "git
pull" isn't enough to recover, but it evidently isn't.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Stephen Frost <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2017 22:46:11 +0000

Andrew, Tom,

Out of the office currently but will address as soon as I'm able to.

Thanks!

Stephen

---

From: Andrew Dunstan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2017 19:08:49 -0500

> pull" isn't enough to recover, but it evidently isn't.

Yeah, axolotl just failed :-(

cheers

andrew

---

From: Stephen Frost <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2017 01:04:58 +0000

All,

I'm hopeful that I fixed it....

Thanks!

Stephen

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2017 20:24:50 -0500

> I'm hopeful that I fixed it....

For the benefit of the other people with this problem ... what did you do?

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Stephen Frost <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2017 01:32:29 +0000

> For the benefit of the other people with this problem ... what did you do?

I did a git pull in the REL9_2_STABLE/pgsql directory and accepted the
merge commit message.

I'm not convinced that was really the "right" or "correct" thing to do, but
it seemed to allow subsequent git pull's without erroring or asking for any
user interaction.

Will look into it more tomorrow.

Thanks!

Stephen

---

From: Andrew Dunstan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2017 21:15:15 -0500

On 01/03/2017 08:32 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
>
> On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 20:25 Tom Lane <[email-masked] 
> <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
>
>     Stephen Frost <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>> writes:
>
> I'm not convinced that was really the "right" or "correct" thing to 
> do, but it seemed to allow subsequent git pull's without erroring or 
> asking for any user interaction.
>

That didn't work for me. I removed that directory altogether, and I 
expect the next buildfarm run to rebuild it cleanly.

cheers

andrew

--

---

From: Craig Ringer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2017 12:55:08 +0800

On 4 January 2017 at 10:15, Andrew Dunstan
<[email-masked]> wrote:
>> I'm not convinced that was really the "right" or "correct" thing to do,
>> but it seemed to allow subsequent git pull's without erroring or asking for
>> any user interaction.
>>
> That didn't work for me. I removed that directory altogether, and I expect
> the next buildfarm run to rebuild it cleanly.

It's definitely not the right thing.

You should remove the clone, or

git reset --hard origin/REL9_2_STABLE

it.

-- 
 Craig Ringer                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
 PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training & Services

---

From: Craig Ringer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2017 13:05:59 +0800

Termite is fixed.

Reset to 83a25a5209d93615e6d5f3eee4ef649853478498

---

From: Stephen Frost <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2017 08:26:26 -0500

> git reset --hard origin/REL9_2_STABLE

Yeah, seems like that was necessary.  I've done that now and it seems
happier.

Thanks!

Stephen

---

From: Andrew Dunstan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2017 08:43:13 -0500

> git reset --hard origin/REL9_2_STABLE

This seems to be the only reliable fix. Even removing the directory 
didn't work where it's a linked workdir.

Thanks, Craig!

cheers

andrew