Subject: PostgreSQL BuildFarm Client Release 9

From: Andrew Dunstan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2018 14:08:23 -0500

Announcing Release 9 of the PostgreSQL Buildfarm client.

Along with numerous fixes of minor bugs and a couple of not so minor 
bugs, this release has the following features:

  * new command line parameter --run-parallel for run_branches.pl runs
    all branches in parallel, possibly across animals as well
  * new config setting max_load_avg inhibits a run if the load average
    is higher than the setting
  * new config_option archive_reports saves that number of generations
    of the report sent to the server
  * new command line parameter --show-error-log which outputs the error
    log if any on stdout
  * automatically rerun 3 hours after a git failure, useful on back
    branches where commits can be infrequent
  * automatically convert old pgbuildfarm.org URLs to
    buildfarm.postgresql.org
  * better logic to detect when temp installs are unnecessary
  * better valgrind processing
  * new module to check core perl code for style and syntax
  * allow upstream repos to be rebased
  * add animal name and branch to verbose traces, useful in parallel runs
  * remove old "if $branch eq 'global'" processing in config file,
    replace with a simple global stanza, the legacy use is still supported.

If you want to run in parallel and you are just running a single animal, 
changing --run-all to --run-parallel in the command line should be all 
you need to do. Parallel runs are not run all at once. By default they 
are launched every 60 seconds. You can also limit the maximum number of 
parallel runs. The default is 10. I will be adding some notes to the 
Buildfarm Howto on how to use this feature.

The max_load_avg setting only works on Unix, and requires the 
installation of the non-standard perl module Unix::Uptime. If this value 
is set to a non-zero value and the module is not present the script will 
die. The setting is compared to the load average in the last minute and 
the last 5 minutes. If either are higher then the run is cancelled.

The release can be downloaded from 
<https://github.com/PGBuildFarm/client-code/releases/tag/REL_9> or 
<https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/downloads>

cheers

andrew

-- 
Andrew Dunstan                https://www.2ndQuadrant.com
PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Remote DBA, Training & Services

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2018 14:45:48 -0500

Andrew Dunstan <[email-masked]> writes:
> ...

Hm, I'm worried that this is mainly going to result in spamming the server
with git-failure reports.  From what I've seen, those usually don't go
away by themselves; they need manual action to resolve, and that's often
not promptly forthcoming.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Andrew Dunstan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2018 15:17:24 -0500

> not promptly forthcoming.

If the git failure persists it will be spamming the server anyway. It's 
when it stops failing and then doesn't see a git advance and hence 
doesn't clear the error that this is trying to clear up.

cheers

andrew