Subject: Reminder: spin up REL_11_STABLE on your buildfarm animals

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2018 15:49:59 -0400

Please check that your buildfarm members are building the v11 branch,
and update their configurations if not.  We currently have ~80 animals
building v10, but only about 50 have checked in on v11 so far.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Andrew Dunstan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2018 11:52:17 -0400

> building v10, but only about 50 have checked in on v11 so far.

Yeah, here's the list:

pgbfprod=> select sysname, operating_system, os_version, compiler, compiler_version from public.dashboard_mat where branch = 'REL_10_STABLE' and sysname not in (select sysname from public.dashboard_mat where branch = 'REL_11_STABLE');
     sysname    |    operating_system     |       os_version       |   compiler    |              compiler_version
---------------+-------------------------+------------------------+---------------+--------------------------------------------
  aholehole     | CentOS                  | 5                      | GCC           | 4.1.2
  brolga        | Cygwin/XP-Pro           | 1.7.7                  | gcc           | 4.3.4
  calliphoridae | Debian                  | sid                    | gcc           | 6.3
  castoroides   | Solaris                 | 10                     | Sun Studio    | 12
  chub          | RedHat Enterprise Linux | 7                      | gcc           | gcc (GCC) 4.8.5 20150623 (Red Hat 4.8.5-4)
  conchuela     | DragonFly BSD           | 4.4.3-RELEASE          | gcc           | 5.2.1
  culicidae     | Debian                  | sid                    | gcc           | 6.3
  curculio      | OpenBSD                 | 5.9                    | gcc           | 4.2.1
  currawong     | Windows XP-PRO          | SP3                    | MSVC++        | 2008 Express
  dory          | Windows Server          | 2016                   | Visual Studio | 2015
  flaviventris  | Debian                  | Sid                    | gcc           | snapshot
  francolin     | Debian                  | sid                    | gcc           | 6.3
  frogmouth     | Windows XP/Pro          | SP3                    | gcc           | 4.5.0
  gaur          | HP-UX                   | 10.20                  | gcc           | 2.95.3
  grison        | Raspbian GNU/Linux      | 7.8                    | gcc           |  4.6.3
  guaibasaurus  | Debian                  | 8.1                    | gcc           | 4.9.2
  hamerkop      | Windows                 | Server 2008 R2 (64bit) | Visual C++    | 2005
  leech         | CentOS Linux            | 6.2                    | icc           | 14.0
  loach         | FreeBSD                 | 10.3-RELEASE           | clang         | 3.4.1
  macaque       | RHEL                    | 7.0                    | gcc           | 4.8.2
  mule          | Debian                  | Debian 9.0             | gcc           | gcc 6.3.0
  mylodon       | Debian                  | sid                    | clang         | 5.0
  pademelon     | HP-UX                   | 10.20                  | HP C Compiler | A.10.32.22
  piculet       | Debian                  | sid                    | gcc           | 6.3
  protosciurus  | Solaris                 | 10                     | GCC           | 3.4.3
  rhinoceros    | CentOS Linux            | 7.1                    | gcc           | 4.8.3 20140911 (Red Hat 4.8.3-9)
  serinus       | Debian                  | Sid                    | gcc           | snapshot
  sidewinder    | NetBSD                  | 7                      | gcc           | 4.8.4
  skink         | Debian Sid              | sid                    | gcc           | gcc-6.3
  snapper       | Debian                  | 7 Wheezy               | gcc           | 4.7
  tick          | CentOS Linux            | 6.2                    | clang/llvm    | 3.4

Note that brolga, currawong and frogmouth will not build past Release 10 
because the platform doesn't support huge pages, so they are expected to 
be on this list.

That leaves 28.

If you're running the modern way via run_branches.pl with 
branches_to_build set to ALL or HEAD_PLUS_LATESTn then this should just 
happen without owner intervention when a new branch is created. So I 
assume that all these are either running not using run_branches.pl. or 
have hardcoded lists of branches in their config files.

Probably not best practice.

cheers

andrew

-- 
Andrew Dunstan                https://www.2ndQuadrant.com
PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Remote DBA, Training & Services

---

From: Mikael Kjellström <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2018 11:35:45 +0200

> have hardcoded lists of branches in their config files.

Yes, I am using the run_build.pl on cron-schedule as I run most of the 
my animals on the same virtualized host and I need to control when 
different animal/branches builds so they don't overlap.  If I would run 
run_branches.pl I have no control over how long each run will take and 
it's hard to schedule.

But I've updated all my animals to include V11 now so they should all 
report in on the next run.

> Probably not best practice.

Probably not.  But see above.

/Mikael

---

From: Andrew Dunstan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2018 07:31:36 -0400

On 07/09/2018 05:35 AM, Mikael Kjellström wrote:
>> branches_to_build set to ALL or HEAD_PLUS_LATESTn then this should 
>> just happen without owner intervention when a new branch is created. 
>> So I assume that all these are either running not using 
>> run_branches.pl. or have hardcoded lists of branches in their config 
>> files.
>
> different animal/branches builds so they don't overlap.  If I would 
> run run_branches.pl I have no control over how long each run will take 
> and it's hard to schedule.
>

run_branches has a global lock that protects against concurrent runs of 
different animals. You just point all the animals on the machine at the 
same lock directory. I have several machines with this setup. See 
global_lock_dir in the sample config file.

cheers

andrew

---

From: Mikael Kjellström <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2018 14:09:51 +0200

> global_lock_dir in the sample config file.

Yes, that would work if the animals run in the same OS-instance/virtual 
machine.

All my animals is running different OS (OpenBSD, FreeBSD, NetBSD, 
DragonFlyBSD etc.) and in different virtual machines.

/Mikael

---

From: Andrew Dunstan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2018 09:11:52 -0400

On 07/09/2018 08:09 AM, Mikael Kjellström wrote:
>> run_branches has a global lock that protects against concurrent runs 
>> of different animals. You just point all the animals on the machine 
>> at the same lock directory. I have several machines with this setup. 
>> See global_lock_dir in the sample config file.
>
> Yes, that would work if the animals run in the same 
> OS-instance/virtual machine.
>

Fair enough. I'll make a note that we need to notify buildfarm owners 
explicitly.

cheers

andrew