Subject: LZ4 enabled by default since 7c1849311e49

From: Michael Paquier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2026 13:31:31 +0900

Hi all,
(Added in CC buildfarm owners of animals that I know are already
failing.) 

Since 7c1849311e49, LZ4 has been enabled by default in the builds on
HEAD.  Like ICU or readline, this can be overridden with the addition
of a --without-lz4 to disable the library.  If possible, I would
recommend adding a package like lz4-devel or equivalent so as builds
are able to work.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks,
--
Michael

---

From: Andrew Dunstan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2026 14:24:32 -0500

> Sorry for the inconvenience.

If you're building with meson this probably doesn't matter, because it 
only builds with explicitly enabled options.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan
EDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com

---

From: Michael Paquier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2026 07:06:05 +0900

On Thu, Mar 05, 2026 at 02:24:32PM -0500, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> If you're building with meson this probably doesn't matter, because it only
> builds with explicitly enabled options.

FWIW, it's for this exact reason that I enforce all my option switches
to be disabled or enabled in meson, never automatic.  Automatic
enforcement lacks predictibility, especially if a system upgrade has
the idea to break the library detection, because then I would not test
the setup of dependencies I want.
--
Michael

---

From: Mark Wong <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2026 10:05:42 -0700

Hi everyone,

> Sorry for the inconvenience.

I'm a little behind in catching up on email.  Just wanted to say I'm
starting to get lz4 installed...  Will keep you posted.

Regards,
Mark

---

From: Mark Wong <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2026 13:36:21 -0700

> starting to get lz4 installed...  Will keep you posted.

I think have have most, if not all, animals with lz4 packages installed
with lz4 now.  (I've been trying to use Ansible to help, but there are
still a number of systems Ansible isn't able to help me with.)

What feels like the best way to continue at this point?  Does having me
update configs to set --with-lz4 make more sense than changing the
default?

Regards,
Mark

---

From: Michael Paquier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2026 06:40:40 +0900

> still a number of systems Ansible isn't able to help me with.)

Thanks for that.

> update configs to set --with-lz4 make more sense than changing the

With LZ4 being the default in TOAST and seeing your fleet of setups, I
would +1 the addition of the switch to provide more coverage in the
buildfarm.
--
Michael

---

From: Mark Wong <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2026 09:27:37 -0700

> would +1 the addition of the switch to provide more coverage in the

Short update, I'll start flipping on lz4 switch next week.

I've added the EDB buildfarm alias in case anyone there wanted to do the
same for the set of animals I've set up there.  (FYI I'm no longer with
EDB.)

Regards,
Mark