Subject: please update description of grison

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2025 08:59:36 +0100

I don't know which side is responsible for editing the system 
descriptions, so this is either to the animal owner or to the admins:

The description of grison is currently:

Raspbian GNU/Linux 7.8 gcc 4.6.3 ARMv7

(which is notable because it would be a gcc older than lapwing)

but the actual compiler version is

configure: using compiler=gcc (Raspbian 12.2.0-14+rpi1) 12.2.0

(which also throws in doubt whether the "7.8" is correct, but I'm not 
certain how these version numbers relate).

Please fix this to reflect reality.

---

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2025 09:02:35 +0100

There is an actual set of scripts (update_personality.pl and 
setnotes.pl) available as part of the buildfarm toolkit to maintain 
metadata.

Stefan

---

From: Mikael Kjellström <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2025 09:42:57 +0100

Hi,

Yes, I've used update_personality.pl  in the past but then the 
System-field that is displayed in buildfarm web was looking really weird.

It's kind of just appended the new info  to the field instead of 
replacing it with the new info.   Is that fixed?

I think there was some process where someone went and cleaned it up 
manually after a while as I can't see that when I look now.

But I can for sure update all my animals with the correct info as there 
are others that aren't up to date also.

/Mikael

---

From: Mikael Kjellström <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2025 09:53:36 +0100

Hi again,

For example look at:

morepork = OpenBSD OpenBSD 6.9 clang clang 10.0.1 x64

It should say:

morepork = OpenBSD 6.9 clang 10.0.1 x64

i used update_personality.pl to change that once (several years ago) and 
that is how it displays after sending in:

$ update_personality.pl --os-version="OpenBSD 6.9" 
--compiler-version="clang 10.0.1 x64"

is that how it is suppose to work / look?

Same with those below after using update_personality.pl:

sidewinder = NetBSD NetBSD 9.2 gcc clang 12.0.1 x86_64
loach = FreeBSD FreeBSD 12.2 clang clang 10.0.1 x86_64
conchuela = DragonFly BSD DragonFly BSD 6.2.2 gcc gcc 8.3 x86_64

/Mikael

On 2025-03-07 09:42, Mikael Kjellström wrote:
> But I can for sure update all my animals with the correct info as 
> there are others that aren't up to date also.
>
> /Mikael
>
>
>>> (which also throws in doubt whether the "7.8" is correct, but I'm 
>>> not certain how these version numbers relate).
>>>

---

From: Álvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2025 10:02:11 +0100

Hello

On 2025-Mar-07, Mikael Kjellström wrote:

> $ update_personality.pl --os-version="OpenBSD 6.9" --compiler-version="clang
> 10.0.1 x64"

You have to give only the version *number*, not the operating
system/compiler names.

The fact that the compiler itself cannot be changed (say from gcc to
clang, which you appear to be trying to do for sidewinder) appears to be
on purpose.  I suppose you should submit a new request and abandon the
old animal name, if you wanted to make such a conversion.  (I don't
necessarily agree with this view of things, but it's how it is at
present.)

Thanks for keeping these animals running,

-- 
Álvaro Herrera         PostgreSQL Developer  —  https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/

---

From: Mikael Kjellström <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2025 10:07:21 +0100

> necessarily agree with this view of things, but it's how it is at

Aha!  So there is where I went wrong.

So for my grison update I should send in:

./update_personality.pl --os-version="6.9" --compiler-version="12.2.0"

is that correct?

> Thanks for keeping these animals running,

No problem.

/Mikael

---

From: Mikael Kjellström <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2025 10:09:36 +0100

Hi

Sorry should be:

./update_personality.pl --os-version="12" --compiler-version="12.2.0"

as the os is:

Raspbian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)

and compiler is:

$ gcc --version

gcc (Raspbian 12.2.0-14+rpi1) 12.2.0

right?

/Mikael

---

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2025 10:18:27 +0100

> necessarily agree with this view of things, but it's how it is at

yeah, I think this whole area could do with some rethinking - it is 
_very_ common for people upgrading operating systems or even running 
operating systems that are doing a continous upgrade thing.

Requiring those to re-register for no real purpose seems to be the wrong 
way - ideally I would expect the buildfarm itself to update the OS and 
compiler version -  what we have now is basically always outdated and wrong.

Stefan

---

From: Álvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2025 11:21:14 +0100

> gcc (Raspbian 12.2.0-14+rpi1) 12.2.0

Looks correct to me.  I'm also CCing Filipe Rosset here, because I think
his animal versions could do with some retouching.  (The strings there
are a bit annoying, because they are so wide that they make the whole
status dashboard table wider without providing any additional useful
information.

-- 
Álvaro Herrera               48°01'N 7°57'E  —  https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"Java is clearly an example of money oriented programming"  (A. Stepanov)

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2025 11:36:57 -0500

> operating systems that are doing a continous upgrade thing.

The idea is that switching to a whole new OS or compiler really does
result in a different animal, which should have a different name to
reduce confusion.  (I didn't make this decision, but it seems
reasonable to me.)  Upgrades are fine, but those should only be
moving the version numbers.

> ... ideally I would expect the buildfarm itself to update the OS and 

Yeah, ideally we would not bother with the manual labeling of
versions.  I know how to scrape compiler versions out of the
build logs, and I always do that when I am interested in
compiler versions, rather than trusting the labels.  But it's
much harder to identify OS version from the build logs ...

			regards, tom lane