Subject: Re: your mail

From: Avi Cohen Stuart <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 14:33:15 +0100

To all,

I've succeeded to compile the complete postgres v4.2 for my HP9000 425t
under HPUX 9.10 but I have some problems during the initdb phase:

I'm getting the following messages:
fmgr_info: function 0: cache lookup failed.

12 like these in a row. I've tracked down the guilty lines responsable
for these errors:
they occur in the 'declare index on ....' at the end of the 
local1_template1.bki (or something) file.

It appears that the SearchSysCacheTuple() function fails.

Is there still a postgres expert around who can tell me where I should
look? 

Avi.

==============================================================================
   To add/remove yourself to/from the POSTGRES mailing list: send mail with 
   the subject line ADD or DEL to "[email-masked]".
   If this fails, send mail to "[email-masked]" and
   a human will deal with it.  DO NOT post to the "postgres" mailing list.
==============================================================================
              URL: http://s2k-ftp.CS.Berkeley.EDU:8000/postgres/

---

From: Avi Cohen Stuart <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 15:50:32 +0100

> Is there still a postgres expert around who can tell me where I should
   Some time ago I tried to port Postgres 4.2 to Domain/OS and I encountered
   the same problem. I tracked it down so far that there is a problem when
   reading a block from the disk.
   I must admit that I have not been able to fix that problem... :-(

Do you still remember which function caused this problem?
I may try to crack the problem then. It would be a shame if I don't get
this baby running since it looks very powerful to me and I want to have
a database with an SQL like language.

Avi.

---

From: Thomas Krebs <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 96 15:48:09 MEZ

Thomas
--
Thomas Krebs
Department for Manufacturing Automation and Production Systems FAPS
University of Erlangen
Egerlandstr. 7-9
91058 Erlangen
Tel.: +49 (0)9131/85-8740
Fax:  +49 (0)9131/302528
http://www.faps.uni-erlangen.de:1200/persons/krebs.html

---

From: Jolly Chen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 1996 08:53:25 -0800

> under HPUX 9.10 but I have some problems during the initdb phase:

There is no support for postgres v4.2 any more.  Try the SQL-ized, improved
version of postgres, called postgres95.  The latest version is 1.01.
See our web page at
	http://s2k-ftp.cs.berkeley.edu:8000/postgres95
or ftp it from
	ftp://s2k-ftp.cs.berkeley.edu/pub/postgres95

> Is there still a postgres expert around who can tell me where I should

The "experts" are hanging out in the new mailing list
[email-masked].  (for more info, send mail to
[email-masked] with 'info postgres95' in the body)

- Jolly

---

From: "V.Grabner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 1996 22:06:36 +0100

> Is there still a postgres expert around who can tell me where I should

We had the same problem when using hash indices. Hash indices
alsways crashed the database when creating an index or inserting 
> 50 rows into the table.

Do not use them, use btree indices instead.

I tried to trace the problem but I did not find it. I found
out it always happend during the split of an hash page but I
never found out why. Without documentation I was lost.

--zen
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 Vinzenz Grabner                             Voice   : + 43 1 817 62 30-15
 G.A.M.S. GmbH.                              Fax     : + 43 1 817 62 30-17
 Schoenbrunnerstr. 179/II/4.St.
 A-1120 Vienna/Austria/Europe                e-mail  : [email-masked]
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul M. Aoki)
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 96 15:46:19 -0800

> never found out why. Without documentation I was lost.

the hash index split code is really, really broken in 4.2.  it doesn't
surface until you hit some fill factor (i.e., get a bunch of page
collisions), but after that the hash index is corrupt.  i think the
fixes (bug fixes, taking out the bogus "high concurrency" locking,
rewriting the split code) made it into some release of pg95 or
another..
--
  Paul M. Aoki          |  University of California at Berkeley
  [email-masked]  |  Dept. of EECS, Computer Science Division (#1776) 
                        |  Berkeley, CA 94720-1776