Subject: Packagers: Handling upgrade checks

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2019 13:13:57 +0000

Packagers,

As you probably know, pgAdmin 4 checks for updates upon startup, and
if a newer version is available, directs the user to www.pgadmin.org
to download it.

The is a problem if your pgAdmin came with a PostgreSQL installer (as
you can't download them from our website), and potentially mildly
annoying if you're a .deb or .rpm user.

There are a couple of ways to optimise the experience for users here
(one of which I just committed). I'll leave it up to each of you to
choose what you want to do (Sandeep, I would suggest that the EDB
installers use method 2).

Method 1: Simply disable the upgrade check, and leave that to the
operating systems update tools. To do this, create (or edit) a
config_distro.py file that is installed alongside the config.py file
from the pgAdmin source and include the line;

UPGRADE_CHECK_ENABLED = False

Method 2: For well known and trusted distributions we can support a
custom check for your distribution. This involves 2 parts:

1) Let me know that you want a custom check, and I'll setup access for
you to manage the version data on the pgAdmin website. We'll agree on
a custom key for that data within the JSON file the website hosts.

2) Create (or edit) a config_distro.py file that is installed
alongside the config.py file from the pgAdmin source and include the
line;

UPGRADE_CHECK_KEY = '<your key>'

With this method, a different section of the JSON datafile will be
checked by your distribution of pgAdmin, thus allowing you to control
both when it tells users a new version is available, and the URL to
which they are directed.

Thanks!

-- 
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

EnterpriseDB UK: http://www.enterprisedb.com
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

---

From: Christoph Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2019 10:59:18 +0100

Re: Dave Page 2019-01-02 <[email-masked]>
> UPGRADE_CHECK_ENABLED = False

For Debian, I'll use this method. Programs "calling home" is actually
considered to be a privacy breach.

Christoph

---

From: Devrim Gündüz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2019 11:00:23 +0000

Hi,

> considered to be a privacy breach.

Same here for the RPMs. That would also help if the RPMs are not released on
time :-)

Regards,

-- 
Devrim Gündüz
EnterpriseDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com
PostgreSQL Consultant, Red Hat Certified Engineer
Twitter: @DevrimGunduz , @DevrimGunduzTR

---

From: Sandeep Thakkar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2019 17:57:08 +0530

Hi Dave,

On Wed, Jan 2, 2019 at 6:44 PM Dave Page <[email-masked]> wrote:

> We want that for PG and EPAS installers. Will you please share the custom
key?

> Makes sense. Will include this change in the upcoming PG and EPAS updates
that bundle pgAdmin.

-- 
Sandeep Thakkar

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2019 13:36:39 +0000

Hi

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 12:27 PM Sandeep Thakkar
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> We want that for PG and EPAS installers. Will you please share the custom key?

edb-pgadmin4

See: https://www.pgadmin.org/versions.json (let me know if I need to
change anything for testing etc).

> Makes sense. Will include this change in the upcoming PG and EPAS updates that bundle pgAdmin.

:-)

---

From: Sandeep Thakkar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2019 15:05:08 +0530

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 7:06 PM Dave Page <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Nice! Thank you.

-- 
Sandeep Thakkar