Subject: Building pgadmin on windows - instructions?

From: Nikolai Zhubr <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2015 02:15:21 +0300

Hi all,

I'm starting to try building pgadmin on windows (and for windows) myself 
and I'm facing some uncertainty.

INSTALL says to install "Microsoft Visual C++ 2010" and "Windows 2010 
Platform SDK". I'm totally ignorant regrading miscrosoft developer tools 
(sorry), but anyway I have not found the existence of exact such things 
mentioned. Instead, there do exist:

- Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 _Express_
- Microsoft Visual _Studio_ 2010 <Pro|Ultimate|Premium>

- Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7 and .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (rumors 
say, above all, it contains some usefull version of vcbuild utility)
- Visual Studio 2010 SDK (as appeared, it does not contain any vcbuild 
utility)

Not much attracted by the "express" name, I've installed Visual Studio 
2010 Pro and Visual Studio 2010 SDK. Neither of them has the 'vcbuild' 
utility, that is employed in xtra/wxbuild/build-mxmsw.bat

So. What was really meant in the INSTALL? Again, I confess, I'm totally 
ingorant about most such MS stuff. But that's why (in part) the INSTALL 
file actually exists, so as it should probably help me a bit?

Thank you,
Nikolai

-- 
Sent via pgadmin-hackers mailing list ([email-masked])
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgadmin-hackers

---

From: "J.F. Oster" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2015 07:15:03 +0300

Hello Nikolai,

Not sure about it all, just describing my build env:

MS Visual Studio Community 2013
(C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\)
Previously used Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Express which was enough to
build too but missed some files required to make an .msi package.

Afaik, Windows SDK is bundled with VS, there is no standalone package.

vcbuild is replaced with msbuild, which in my case was found here:
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\msbuild.exe
I suspect it is installed with C# or .NET components of Visual Studio,
so don't uncheck these when installing VS.

I also had problems building wxMSW with build-mxmsw.bat, so built it
manually one-by-one using projects in wxMSW-2.8.12\build\msw\ with all
targets combinations (debug/release, unicode/...).
Also there should be prebuilt wx libraries available.

Attaching my build scripts, hope that will help a bit.

NZ> So. What was really meant in the INSTALL? Again, I confess, I'm totally
NZ> ingorant about most such MS stuff. But that's why (in part) the INSTALL
NZ> file actually exists, so as it should probably help me a bit?
It may be outdated now.

-- 
Best regards,
 J.F.

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2015 12:10:44 +0100

On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 12:11 PM, Nikolai Zhubr <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> According to git.postgresql.org, since 27-Jan-2014 the pgAdmin3.sln has
> apparenly switched to using wxwidgets 3.0. However, pgAdmin3 1.20 for
> windows released after that date, on 19-Dec-2014 is still bundled with
> wxwidgets 2.8 (And 19-Dec is supposedly later than 27-Jan)

We added initial support for it. We didn't switch to it.

> How is that?
>
> Are git sources from git.postgresql.org being used for official binary
> (windows) releases of pgAdmin3?
>
> Or otherwise why pgAdmin3.sln is there in git?
>
> Or some other sources are being used instead, or what is going on?
>
>
>
>
> Thank you,
> Nikolai
>
>
>
> --

-- 
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

EnterpriseDB UK: http://www.enterprisedb.com
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

---

From: Nikolai Zhubr <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2015 14:11:15 +0300

Hi all,

How is that?

Thank you,
Nikolai

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2015 12:34:33 +0100

On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 12:48 PM, Nikolai Zhubr <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Hi Dave,
> 02.10.2015 14:10, Dave Page write:
>>>
> Ok, thanks. So does this mean next release will still be using 2.8 ?

Yes.

---

From: Nikolai Zhubr <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2015 14:48:07 +0300

Hi Dave,

(I'm asking because I'd like to not dig into both of them)

Thank you,
Nikolai

---

From: Nikolai Zhubr <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2015 02:44:50 +0300

Hi all,

after 2.5 days of fight I was able to produce a new shining pgadmin3, 
even with an installer. What a relief.
It runs, and has that unfortunate bug still at the same place :)

Now going to investigate the bug itself as time permits.

As a side effect, I now have a detailed and valid instruction (saved for 
myself) and I know what is definitely wrong in the Windows section of 
INSTALL instruction. Maybe I'll come up with a patch to correct the 
instruction.

> (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\)

I used Visual Studio 2010 professional this time. No additional packs or 
platforms or SDKs or whatever. I'm also going to try with VS2013 later.

> build too but missed some files required to make an .msi package.

Building .msi appeared rather easy, if using some suitable version of 
wix. For me 3.5 worked fine, 3.0 didn't.

> so don't uncheck these when installing VS.

Thanks for the hint, I tried that approach, well kind of, but 
subsequently gave up and switched to building all from Visual Studio GUI 
instead. Thing is, msbuild is certainly incompatible with vcbuild (or 
why would ms otherwise bother to replace one by another :))) so I 
figured I'd better not waste too much time to just learn in all 
practical details the history of variuos abandonware.

> targets combinations (debug/release, unicode/...).

I think not all combinations are necessary; I only selected unicode and 
release, that seemed to suffice. However I had to build wxwindows both 
dynamic and static, otherwise not all of dependencies could apparently 
be build successfully.

> Attaching my build scripts, hope that will help a bit.

Thanks, yes, they will probably help as soon as I try to arrange a fully 
non-interactive rebuild, and I would really like to do it.

> It may be outdated now.

Indeed, the INSTALL is way outdated.

Thank you,
Nikolai