Subject: pgAdmin 4 commit: Improvement in the look and feel of the whole applica

From: Ashesh Vashi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 12:01:35 +0000

Improvement in the look and feel of the whole application

Changed the SCSS/CSS for the below third party libraries to adopt the
new look 'n' feel:
- wcDocker
- Alertify dialogs, and notifications
- AciTree
- Bootstrap Navbar
- Bootstrap Tabs
- Bootstrap Drop-Down menu
- Backgrid
- Select2

Adopated the new the look 'n' feel for the dialogs, wizard, properties,
tab panels, tabs, fieldset, subnode control, spinner control, HTML
table, and other form controls.

- Font is changed to Roboto
- Using SCSS variables to define the look 'n' feel
- Designer background images for the Login, and Forget password pages in
  'web' mode
- Improved the look 'n' feel for the key selection in the preferences
  dialog
- Table classes consistency changes across the application
- File Open and Save dialog list view changes

Author(s): Aditya Toshniwal & Khushboo Vashi

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=pgadmin4.git;a=commitdiff;h=5799ac14ba17dc25fbec184b3b2c6afbe37f1f74

Modified Files
--------------
web/package.json                                   |    2 +-
.../static/js/fts_configuration.js                 |    2 +-
.../databases/schemas/functions/__init__.py        |    4 +-
.../function => static}/css/function.css           |    0
.../templates/trigger_function/css/function.css    |    3 -
.../{templates/edbfunc => static}/css/edbfunc.css  |    0
.../static/js/exclusion_constraint.js              |   18 +-
.../foreign_key/static/js/foreign_key.js           |   17 +-
.../schemas/tables/rules/static/css/rule.css       |    7 +
.../tables/rules/templates/rules/css/rule.css      |    8 -
.../databases/schemas/views/static/css/view.css    |    7 +
.../schemas/views/templates/mview/css/mview.css    |    4 -
.../schemas/views/templates/view/css/view.css      |    4 -
.../pgagent/schedules/static/js/pga_schedule.js    |    3 +-
.../servers/pgagent/static/css/pga_job.css         |    3 +
.../pgagent/templates/pga_job/css/pga_job.css      |   13 -
.../server_groups/servers/static/css/servers.css   |    4 +
.../server_groups/servers/static/js/server.js      |   22 +-
.../server_groups/servers/static/js/variable.js    |    4 +-
.../servers/tablespaces/static/js/tablespace.js    |   13 +-
.../servers/templates/css/servers.css              |    4 -
web/pgadmin/browser/static/css/browser.css         |   13 -
web/pgadmin/browser/static/css/wizard.css          |   21 +-
web/pgadmin/browser/static/js/browser.js           |   26 +-
web/pgadmin/browser/static/js/collection.js        |   16 +-
web/pgadmin/browser/static/js/keyboard.js          |   14 +-
web/pgadmin/browser/static/js/menu.js              |   28 +-
web/pgadmin/browser/static/js/node.js              |   53 +-
web/pgadmin/browser/static/js/node.ui.js           |    4 +-
web/pgadmin/browser/static/js/panel.js             |   15 +-
web/pgadmin/browser/static/js/toolbar.js           |    3 -
web/pgadmin/browser/static/js/wizard.js            |   58 +-
web/pgadmin/browser/static/scss/_browser.scss      |   43 +-
web/pgadmin/browser/static/scss/_wizard.scss       |   41 +-
web/pgadmin/browser/templates/browser/css/node.css |    2 +-
web/pgadmin/browser/templates/browser/index.html   |    9 +-
web/pgadmin/dashboard/__init__.py                  |    2 +-
web/pgadmin/dashboard/static/css/dashboard.css     |   21 +-
web/pgadmin/dashboard/static/js/dashboard.js       |  120 +-
web/pgadmin/dashboard/static/scss/_dashboard.scss  |   44 +-
.../templates/dashboard/database_dashboard.html    |  171 ++-
.../templates/dashboard/server_dashboard.html      |  197 ++-
.../templates/dashboard/welcome_dashboard.html     |   30 +-
web/pgadmin/feature_tests/browser_tool_bar_test.py |   23 +-
web/pgadmin/feature_tests/file_manager_test.py     |   23 +-
.../feature_tests/keyboard_shortcut_test.py        |    5 +-
.../feature_tests/pg_datatype_validation_test.py   |    5 +-
.../pg_utilities_backup_restore_test.py            |   28 +-
.../feature_tests/pg_utilities_maintenance_test.py |   16 +-
.../feature_tests/query_tool_journey_test.py       |    5 +-
web/pgadmin/feature_tests/query_tool_tests.py      |  117 +-
web/pgadmin/feature_tests/view_data_dml_queries.py |   16 +-
.../misc/bgprocess/static/css/bgprocess.css        |   11 -
web/pgadmin/misc/bgprocess/static/js/bgprocess.js  |  173 ++-
.../misc/bgprocess/static/scss/_bgprocess.scss     |   81 +-
web/pgadmin/misc/depends/static/js/depends.js      |    3 +-
.../misc/file_manager/static/css/file_manager.css  |  141 +-
.../misc/file_manager/static/js/create_dialogue.js |    9 +-
.../misc/file_manager/static/js/select_dialogue.js |   19 +-
web/pgadmin/misc/file_manager/static/js/utility.js |   77 +-
.../file_manager/static/scss/_file_manager.scss    |  157 +--
.../file_manager/templates/file_manager/index.html |   95 +-
.../misc/statistics/static/js/statistics.js        |    3 +-
web/pgadmin/preferences/static/css/preferences.css |   14 -
web/pgadmin/preferences/static/js/preferences.js   |   31 +-
.../preferences/static/scss/_preferences.scss      |   16 +
web/pgadmin/static/css/pgadmin.css                 |   81 +-
web/pgadmin/static/fonts/Roboto-Bold.ttf           |  Bin 0 -> 170760 bytes
web/pgadmin/static/fonts/Roboto-Medium.ttf         |  Bin 0 -> 172064 bytes
web/pgadmin/static/fonts/Roboto-Regular.ttf        |  Bin 0 -> 171676 bytes
web/pgadmin/static/img/collapse_expand.svg         |   15 +
web/pgadmin/static/img/forgot_password.svg         |  283 ++++
web/pgadmin/static/img/login.svg                   |    1 +
web/pgadmin/static/js/alertify.pgadmin.defaults.js |   82 +-
web/pgadmin/static/js/backform.pgadmin.js          |   80 +-
web/pgadmin/static/js/backgrid.pgadmin.js          |   33 +-
web/pgadmin/static/js/slickgrid/editors.js         |    8 +-
web/pgadmin/static/js/sqleditor/filter_dialog.js   |   33 +-
.../static/js/sqleditor/query_tool_preferences.js  |   15 +-
web/pgadmin/static/scss/_aci_tree.overrides.scss   |   75 +-
web/pgadmin/static/scss/_alert.scss                |   12 +-
web/pgadmin/static/scss/_alertify.overrides.scss   |  150 +-
web/pgadmin/static/scss/_backform.overrides.scss   |    8 +
web/pgadmin/static/scss/_backgrid.overrides.scss   |  251 +++-
web/pgadmin/static/scss/_bootstrap.overrides.scss  |  230 ++--
web/pgadmin/static/scss/_codemirror.overrides.scss |   94 +-
web/pgadmin/static/scss/_pgadmin.grid.scss         |   56 +
web/pgadmin/static/scss/_pgadmin.style.scss        | 1440 +++++---------------
web/pgadmin/static/scss/_select2.overrides.scss    |   24 +-
web/pgadmin/static/scss/_webcabin.overrides.scss   |  368 -----
web/pgadmin/static/scss/_webcabin.pgadmin.scss     |  250 ++++
web/pgadmin/static/scss/pgadmin.scss               |   10 +-
.../static/scss/resources/_default.style.scss      |   90 +-
.../static/scss/resources/_default.variables.scss  |  203 ++-
web/pgadmin/static/vendor/backform/backform.js     |  645 +++++++++
.../templates/security/change_password.html        |   43 +-
.../templates/security/forgot_password.html        |    9 +-
web/pgadmin/templates/security/login_user.html     |   16 +-
web/pgadmin/templates/security/panel.html          |   23 +-
web/pgadmin/tools/backup/__init__.py               |    6 +-
web/pgadmin/tools/backup/static/js/backup.js       |    8 +-
.../backup/static/js/backup_dialog_wrapper.js      |   22 +-
web/pgadmin/tools/datagrid/__init__.py             |    1 -
web/pgadmin/tools/datagrid/static/js/datagrid.js   |   38 +-
.../tools/datagrid/templates/datagrid/filter.html  |    2 -
.../tools/datagrid/templates/datagrid/index.html   |  193 ++-
web/pgadmin/tools/debugger/static/css/debugger.css |   34 +-
web/pgadmin/tools/debugger/static/js/debugger.js   |    2 +-
.../tools/debugger/static/js/debugger_ui.js        |   28 +-
web/pgadmin/tools/debugger/static/js/direct.js     |   13 +-
.../tools/debugger/static/scss/_debugger.scss      |    8 -
.../tools/debugger/templates/debugger/direct.html  |   89 +-
.../tools/grant_wizard/static/js/grant_wizard.js   |   27 +-
.../grant_wizard/static/scss/_grant_wizard.scss    |   31 +-
.../tools/import_export/static/js/import_export.js |   24 +-
web/pgadmin/tools/maintenance/__init__.py          |   10 +-
.../tools/maintenance/static/js/maintenance.js     |   24 +-
.../maintenance/static/scss/_maintenance.scss      |    2 +-
web/pgadmin/tools/restore/__init__.py              |   14 +-
web/pgadmin/tools/restore/static/js/restore.js     |    8 +-
.../restore/static/js/restore_dialog_wrapper.js    |   24 +-
.../tools/sqleditor/static/css/sqleditor.css       |  128 +-
web/pgadmin/tools/sqleditor/static/js/sqleditor.js |   35 +-
.../tools/sqleditor/static/scss/_history.scss      |   42 +-
.../tools/sqleditor/static/scss/_sqleditor.scss    |  128 +-
.../user_management/static/css/user_management.css |   37 -
.../user_management/static/js/user_management.js   |   53 +-
.../static/scss/_user_management.scss              |   12 +-
.../javascript/alerts/alertify_wrapper_spec.js     |    4 +-
.../backup/backup_dialog_wrapper_spec.js           |    8 +-
.../restore/restore_dialog_wrapper_spec.js         |    8 +-
web/webpack.config.js                              |    2 +-
web/webpack.shim.js                                |    2 +-
web/webpack.test.config.js                         |    1 +
web/yarn.lock                                      | 1015 +++++++++++++-
135 files changed, 5002 insertions(+), 3850 deletions(-)

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 12:21:39 +0000

Nice! Thanks Ashesh.

Some small issues I spotted:

- The font looks somewhat small. How does it compare in size to, say,
Gmail? I think it needs to be increased to at least that size.

- Dialogues have 2 close buttons next to each other in the top-right.
Looks like an icon and a text version?

- Why do some Preferences panels use alternate line colouring, whilst
others don't? I suspect it's because some are actually tables under
the hood? I think we need consistency there.

- The Maintenance dialogue looks terrible - it needs to be made much
more compact. I also seem to be getting a failure to create
maintenance jobs (backups etc work fine).

- I think the buttons on the Browser need borders to match other buttons.

Thanks!

-- 
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

EnterpriseDB UK: http://www.enterprisedb.com
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

---

From: Aditya Toshniwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 17:59:42 +0530

Hi Dave,

> Gmail? I think it needs to be increased to at least that size.
Gmail uses 0.875rem (14px) for the left panel (Inbox, Sent). We are
using 0.875rem
(14px)  for main navbar links and 0.815rem(13.04px) for all other text.

> Looks like an icon and a text version?
You need to do a yarn install. wcDocker code is changed to fix that.

> the hood? I think we need consistency there.
Noted.

> maintenance jobs (backups etc work fine).
Noted.

> - I think the buttons on the Browser need borders to match other buttons.
It is made consistent with other wcDocker buttons like close, right arrow,
left arrow. However, we can make it look like other buttons.

-- 
Thanks and Regards,
Aditya Toshniwal
Software Engineer | EnterpriseDB Software Solutions | Pune
"Don't Complain about Heat, Plant a tree"

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 12:46:59 +0000

Hi

On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 12:29 PM Aditya Toshniwal
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> Gmail uses 0.875rem (14px) for the left panel (Inbox, Sent). We are using 0.875rem (14px)  for main navbar links and 0.815rem(13.04px) for all other text.

Let's increase the default to 0.875, and make the main links
proportionally bigger.

> You need to do a yarn install. wcDocker code is changed to fix that.

Yup, that fixed it.

> It is made consistent with other wcDocker buttons like close, right arrow, left arrow. However, we can make it look like other buttons.

I think they're a different class of buttons - control/navigation vs.
function. I think we should make this change as the browser buttons
really are a toolbar just like the larger on on the query tool.

Thanks!

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 13:59:23 +0000

One other issue: I'm seeing that standard sized dialogues (e.g. the
Server or Database Properties dialogues) are wrapping their labels and
controls at the default size. That should not be the case.

---

From: Aditya Toshniwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 19:31:48 +0530

> controls at the default size. That should not be the case.
Yep. Akshay has logged that in the sheet shared (
https://drive.google.com/open?id=127BgrvdVUvWSEp-GnQvCDx1WaaemsycxSD0aUpWxb6k
).

> using 0.875rem (14px)  for main navbar links and 0.815rem(13.04px) for all
> other text.
> >
> > > It is made consistent with other wcDocker buttons like close, right
> arrow, left arrow. However, we can make it look like other buttons.
> >

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 14:02:04 +0000

And hopefully finally; it looks like the pop-out text editor on the
query tool results grid hasn't been updated.

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 14:05:10 +0000

On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 2:02 PM Aditya Toshniwal
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> Yep. Akshay has logged that in the sheet shared (https://drive.google.com/open?id=127BgrvdVUvWSEp-GnQvCDx1WaaemsycxSD0aUpWxb6k).

OK, but the answer isn't to increase the size of the dialogues as
suggested. The size is fine (though we should review for consistency,
and ensure we are using no more than 3 default standard sizes
throughout the app); we should make the controls display nicely on the
default dialogue size and wrap if the user makes it smaller than we
can display in.

---

From: Aditya Toshniwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 19:43:52 +0530

For the query tool results grid text pop-out, you mean the border size
around it ?
We don't have any design discussed for it, so could you please propose what
can be done.

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 14:16:18 +0000

On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 2:14 PM Aditya Toshniwal
<[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> For the query tool results grid text pop-out, you mean the border size around it ?
> We don't have any design discussed for it, so could you please propose what can be done.

Border, button colours etc. I can't draw anything, but I'd suggest
that the border should be squared not rounded, and the
thickness/shadow etc adjusted to match the other styling.

---

From: Aditya Toshniwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 19:48:41 +0530

> thickness/shadow etc adjusted to match the other styling.
Cool.
Button colors are already changed. Others things noted. Will work on it.

> >> >> > > Gmail uses 0.875rem (14px) for the left panel (Inbox, Sent). We
> are using 0.875rem (14px)  for main navbar links and 0.815rem(13.04px) for
> all other text.
> >> >> >
> >> >> > > It is made consistent with other wcDocker buttons like close,
> right arrow, left arrow. However, we can make it look like other buttons.
> >> >> >

---

From: Aditya Toshniwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2019 11:09:51 +0530

Hi Hackers,

Attached is the patch to improve the previously committed new design
changes.
The patch includes:
- Base font size changed from 0.815rem to 0.875rem, for navbar from
0.875rem to 0.925rem.
- Dialog sizes made consistent throughout the application. Now there are 3
size options for width and height each - sm, md, lg. Combination of any of
these to be used hereafter
- Alignment fix for controls of Node properties dialogs which includes
showing text and label in one line without dialog size change, checkbox
alignment, switch control alignment at places and other minor improvements
in other dialogs
- Error message design change in dialogs validation
- SQL Editor data grid editor popup design changes which were missed
- Design change for dashboard server activity grid
- Login page language dropdown color fix
- Properties accordion collapse design fix
- Help, Info icon fixed across all dialogs which were not working if
clicked exactly on the text
- Added missing icon with buttons at few places
- Shadow behind the dialogs is increased to make it look clearly separated
and depth.
- Control Alignment fix in maintenance dialog
- Min height of alertify dialogs set for better UX
- File dialog design fix when no files found
- Grant wizard fixes - Scroll bar visibility on first page, use full space
for SQL generated on the last page
- Browser toolbar buttons changed to sync with SQL editor toolbar buttons
- Rounded corners for docker floating dialog (no properties)
- Other improvements wherever noticed.

I hope this covers majority of the issues.
Kindly review.

---

From: Aditya Toshniwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2019 11:22:43 +0530

Hi Hackers,

Kindly ignore the previous patch. Attaching updated patch with few more
corrections.
The patch includes:
- Renaming file in file dialog should show original file name
- SQL data grid text edit popup buttons behaviour was swapped. This is
fixed.
- Import/Export dialog changes as per new design.

On Tue, Jan 1, 2019 at 11:09 AM Aditya Toshniwal <
[email-masked]> wrote:

>>> >> >> > > Gmail uses 0.875rem (14px) for the left panel (Inbox, Sent).
>>> We are using 0.875rem (14px)  for main navbar links and 0.815rem(13.04px)
>>> for all other text.
>>> >> >> >

---

From: Akshay Joshi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2019 15:09:23 +0530

Thanks patch applied.

On Wed, Jan 2, 2019 at 11:23 AM Aditya Toshniwal <
[email-masked]> wrote:

>> - Dialog sizes made consistent throughout the application. Now there are
>> 3 size options for width and height each - sm, md, lg. Combination of any
>> of these to be used hereafter
>> - Shadow behind the dialogs is increased to make it look clearly
>> separated and depth.
>> - Grant wizard fixes - Scroll bar visibility on first page, use full
>> space for SQL generated on the last page
>>>> >> >> > >> > web/package.json                                   |    2
>>>> +-

-- 
*Akshay Joshi*

*Sr. Software Architect *

*Phone: +91 20-3058-9517Mobile: +91 976-788-8246*

---

From: Aditya Toshniwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2019 15:50:20 +0530

Hi Hackers,

Further improvement patch. With this patch, following are fixed:
- Fieldset control design changes
- File dialog - files list header should not scroll with the body and stick
to the top
- Debugger input args dialog cancel button should always be enabled
- Backup globals dialog controls aligmnent correction
- In View Data query tool, explain related buttons should be disabled
- Autocomplete design changes

I have also fixed one issue which was created by the copyright changes in
the file - pgadmin/misc/file_manager/templates/file_manager/js/languages/en.js.
The en.js file contains json data and adding copyright comments to it
caused JSON parsing failure in file dialog. As an improvement, I have
renamed the file from en.js to en.json at all the places to avoid such
changes in future.

Kindly review.

On Wed, Jan 2, 2019 at 3:09 PM Akshay Joshi <[email-masked]>
wrote:

>>>>> >> >> > > It is made consistent with other wcDocker buttons like
>>>>> close, right arrow, left arrow. However, we can make it look like other
>>>>> buttons.
>>>>> >> >> >

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2019 15:09:27 +0000

Hi

On Thu, Jan 3, 2019 at 10:20 AM Aditya Toshniwal <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> - File dialog - files list header should not scroll with the body and
> stick to the top

Thanks - applied.

A few other things that I noticed (or have been bugging me):

- The menu bar seems a little cramped. Taking pg-navbar from 32 to 40px and
setting the font-weight to normal on the menu options (but not the product
name) seems much better to me (and adjusting everything else as required of
course).

- In the file dialogue, the column headers don't line up with the columns
in the rows.

- In list mode of the file dialogue, can we use the same coloured icons as
we do in icon mode? Obviously smaller...

- "Show hidden files and folders ?" shouldn't have a space before the
question mark.

- The menu bar on the file dialogue doesn't match the styling of the menu
bar on the query tool (in fact, even the left and right ends of it are
styled differently from each other).

- The line numbers in the gutter of CodeMirror are tiny.

- I'm not convinced about the boldness of the tab titles - I think the are
just a little too harsh - can you change the font-weight to normal for them
please (both the wcDocker and Bootstrap tabs)?

Also (for another day); we should move the file dialog messages out of the
JSON file altogether and use our normal translation mechanisms.

Thanks again :-)

---

From: Aditya Toshniwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2019 10:21:25 +0530

Hi Dave,

On Thu, Jan 3, 2019 at 8:39 PM Dave Page <[email-masked]> wrote:

> - The menu bar seems a little cramped. Taking pg-navbar from 32 to 40px
> and setting the font-weight to normal on the menu options (but not the
> product name) seems much better to me (and adjusting everything else as
> required of course).
>
Giving too much space for the navbar will reduce the usable space for other
things. It is good enough(32) to be used easily, and is equal to all the
other headers in app (including tabs) giving a feel of native desktop
application. You'll find even smaller menu heights in native desktop
application. We can make font weight to normal and may be slightly increase
horizontal spacing between the menu links.

> - In the file dialogue, the column headers don't line up with the columns
I could not see this on my machine (screenshot attached). Could you please
share the screenshot.

> please (both the wcDocker and Bootstrap tabs)?
All other changes noted. Will send patch with the changes.

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2019 09:23:10 +0000

Hi

On Fri, Jan 4, 2019 at 4:51 AM Aditya Toshniwal <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> Giving too much space for the navbar will reduce the usable space for
> other things. It is good enough(32) to be used easily, and is equal to all
> the other headers in app (including tabs) giving a feel of native desktop
> application. We can make font weight to normal and may be slightly
> increase horizontal spacing between the menu links.
>

8 pixels isn't going to make a noticeable difference to the workspace for
users, and would leave the bar smaller than the 50px it's been for the last
couple of years (iirc). I think it needs it to avoid looking cramped -
please make the change.

> I could not see this on my machine (screenshot attached). Could you please

Attached - thanks! This is Chrome 70.0.3538.102 on MacOS.

---

From: Aditya Toshniwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2019 15:28:45 +0530

Hi,

> couple of years (iirc). I think it needs it to avoid looking cramped -
Will do.
One more doubt regarding bold headers, should I remove bold headers in
dashboard graph header, subnode headers (eg.table->columns), properties tab
accrordian headers ?

>
>
>>
>>> - In the file dialogue, the column headers don't line up with the
>>> columns in the rows.
>>>
>> I could not see this on my machine (screenshot attached). Could you
>> please share the screenshot.
>>
>

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2019 10:01:40 +0000

On Fri, Jan 4, 2019 at 9:58 AM Aditya Toshniwal
<[email-masked]> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 4, 2019 at 4:51 AM Aditya Toshniwal <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Dave,
>>>
>>>> - The menu bar seems a little cramped. Taking pg-navbar from 32 to 40px and setting the font-weight to normal on the menu options (but not the product name) seems much better to me (and adjusting everything else as required of course).
>>>
>>> Giving too much space for the navbar will reduce the usable space for other things. It is good enough(32) to be used easily, and is equal to all the other headers in app (including tabs) giving a feel of native desktop application. You'll find even smaller menu heights in native desktop application. We can make font weight to normal and may be slightly increase horizontal spacing between the menu links.
>>
>>
>> 8 pixels isn't going to make a noticeable difference to the workspace for users, and would leave the bar smaller than the 50px it's been for the last couple of years (iirc). I think it needs it to avoid looking cramped - please make the change.
>
> Will do.
> One more doubt regarding bold headers, should I remove bold headers in dashboard graph header, subnode headers (eg.table->columns), properties tab accrordian headers ?

No, please don't. I left them bold and the styling seemed like it
worked. We can tweak again if others disagree later.

Thanks!

BTW - Chrome 71 shows the offset headers in the file dialogue as well.

>>>>
>>>> - In the file dialogue, the column headers don't line up with the columns in the rows.
>>>
>>> I could not see this on my machine (screenshot attached). Could you please share the screenshot.
>>
>>

---

From: Aditya Toshniwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2019 10:44:18 +0530

Hi Hackers,

Attached is the patch to incorporate the changes discussed in trailing
mail(s).

Kindly review.

On Fri, Jan 4, 2019 at 3:31 PM Dave Page <[email-masked]> wrote:

> >>>> - The menu bar seems a little cramped. Taking pg-navbar from 32 to
> 40px and setting the font-weight to normal on the menu options (but not the
> >> 8 pixels isn't going to make a noticeable difference to the workspace
> for users, and would leave the bar smaller than the 50px it's been for the
> last couple of years (iirc). I think it needs it to avoid looking cramped -
> please make the change.
> >
> > Will do.

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2019 14:24:58 +0530

Thanks - applied!

On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 10:44 AM Aditya Toshniwal
<[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Hi Hackers,
>
> Attached is the patch to incorporate the changes discussed in trailing mail(s).
>
> Kindly review.
>

---

From: Aditya Toshniwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2019 15:17:31 +0530

Hi Hackers,

Attached is the patch for few more changes:
- New Folder button was not working in file dialogue. Fixed that.
- Color, icon changes in file dialogue
- Also replaced the splash screen image (which is used on main dashboard
also). It works fine on dashboard. However, I'm not sure of the splash
screen as the new image is SVG and older was PNG. I have made changes for
that in runtime code but I'm not able to test (evnvironment issue) runtime
code :(. It would be helpful if someone else can try it once.

Kindly review.

On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 2:25 PM Dave Page <[email-masked]> wrote:

> >> >>> Giving too much space for the navbar will reduce the usable space
> for other things. It is good enough(32) to be used easily, and is equal to
> all the other headers in app (including tabs) giving a feel of native
> desktop application. You'll find even smaller menu heights in native
> desktop application. We can make font weight to normal and may be slightly
> >> >> 8 pixels isn't going to make a noticeable difference to the
> workspace for users, and would leave the bar smaller than the 50px it's
> been for the last couple of years (iirc). I think it needs it to avoid
> looking cramped - please make the change.
> >> >
> >> > Will do.
> >> > One more doubt regarding bold headers, should I remove bold headers
> in dashboard graph header, subnode headers (eg.table->columns), properties
> tab accrordian headers ?
> >>

---

From: Aditya Toshniwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2019 10:54:53 +0530

Hi Hackers,

Attached is the patch for further design improvements:
- Process watcher made fixed width with header changes, time details
rounded to 2 decimals
- Query history will show "No query history" if no query fired. Query
editor default size increased.
- Tree improvements - right bold border removed completely. Now click
anywhere on a tree item to perform actions. Please note, single click on
the tiny tree arrow button will not work with this. Clicking anywhere is
more useful than this.
- Fixed a bug where New folder create button not working when in List mode
and No files/folder present.
- Other minor improvements.

Kindly review.

On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 3:17 PM Aditya Toshniwal <
[email-masked]> wrote:

>> >> >>>> - The menu bar seems a little cramped. Taking pg-navbar from 32
>> to 40px and setting the font-weight to normal on the menu options (but not
>> the product name) seems much better to me (and adjusting everything else as
>> required of course).
>> >> >>>

---

From: Aditya Toshniwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2019 14:43:19 +0530

Hi Hackers,

Please find the updated, rebased patch.
Kindly review.

---

From: Akshay Joshi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2019 11:59:12 +0530

Thanks patch applied without Tree Changes.

On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 10:55 AM Aditya Toshniwal <aditya.toshniwal@

> the tiny tree arrow button will not work with this. Clicking anywhere is
 @Dave  Should we proceed with this behaviour, I haven't commit it.

-- 
*Akshay Joshi*

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2019 14:59:47 +0000

>  @Dave  Should we proceed with this behaviour, I haven't commit it.

I like the blue bit, so that should come back.

I would say that a single-click on the arrow should open/close the node,
whilst a double-click on the icon or label should open/close it.

>>>> >> >>> Giving too much space for the navbar will reduce the usable
>>>> space for other things. It is good enough(32) to be used easily, and is
>>>> equal to all the other headers in app (including tabs) giving a feel of
>>>> native desktop application. You'll find even smaller menu heights in native
>>>> >> > One more doubt regarding bold headers, should I remove bold
>>>> headers in dashboard graph header, subnode headers (eg.table->columns),
>>>> properties tab accrordian headers ?
>>>> >>

-- 
Dave Page
VP, Chief Architect, Tools & Installers
EnterpriseDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

---

From: Aditya Toshniwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2019 11:59:21 +0530

Hi Hackers,

Attached is the small patch (and probably the final for this mail chain) to
accommodate the changes suggested in previous mail.

Kindly review.

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 8:30 PM Dave Page <[email-masked]>
wrote:

>
>
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 6:29 AM Akshay Joshi <
> [email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> - Fixed a bug where New folder create button not working when in List
>>> mode and No files/folder present.
>>>> - Also replaced the splash screen image (which is used on main
>>>> dashboard also). It works fine on dashboard. However, I'm not sure of the
>>>> splash screen as the new image is SVG and older was PNG. I have made
>>>> changes for that in runtime code but I'm not able to test (evnvironment
>>>> issue) runtime code :(. It would be helpful if someone else can try it once.
>>>>
>>>> Kindly review.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>> >> >>>> - The menu bar seems a little cramped. Taking pg-navbar from
>>>>> 32 to 40px and setting the font-weight to normal on the menu options (but
>>>>> not the product name) seems much better to me (and adjusting everything
>>>>> else as required of course).
>>>>> >> >>>

---

From: Akshay Joshi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2019 13:27:58 +0530

Thanks patch applied.

On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 11:59 AM Aditya Toshniwal <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi Hackers,
>
> Attached is the small patch (and probably the final for this mail chain)
> to accommodate the changes suggested in previous mail.
>
> Kindly review.
>

-- 
*Akshay Joshi*