Subject: Regarding feature #5908

From: Nikhil Mohite <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 11:12:49 +0530

Hi Hackers,

I am currently working on #5908
<https://github.com/pgadmin-org/pgadmin4/issues/5908> Ability to Edit the
View/Edit Data Query as if it were a query tool pane.

To achieve this there are 2 different approaches:
1. Allow users to promote existing View/Edit data window to Query Tool.

   1. Give a button on the View/Edit data toolbar to convert the View/Edit
   data to the Query tool, after this users will able to edit the queries
   2. 
   3. In View/Edit data we can move the Query section with the Data output
   panel so the user can use the maximum space to see the actual result. (This
   is UI enhancement)
   4. Click on "Promote to Query Tool" will confirm from the user whether
   the user wants to promote View/Edit Data to Query Tool or not, after
   confirmation from the user it will promote View/Edit data to query tool.
   5. Once promoted to Query Tool it will not be able to use the *Filters*
   and *Limit* options that are available in View/Edit Data.

2. Allow the users to open a new Query Tool from View/Edit Data with Query.

   1. Give an option on the View/Edit data connection bar to open a new
   Query Tool with the current query (Query present in View/Edit data query
   window). Currently, we have an open new query tool button already present,
   we will just add a new option to that button that the user can select from
   the dropdown.
   2. 
   3. With this, the View/Edit Data will not allow the edit query and
   simply open a new Query Tool with a pre-written query.
   4. We can add the UI enhancements with this option as well to move the
   Query section to Data Output. (3rd point from 1st approach)

Please let me know your suggestions/thoughts. and which approach we should
go with.

-- 
*Thanks & Regards,*
*Nikhil Mohite*
*Senior Software Engineer.*
*EDB Postgres* <https://www.enterprisedb.com/>
*Mob.No: +91-7798364578.*

---

From: Akshay Joshi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 12:32:27 +0530

Hi Nikhil

On Fri, Sep 29, 2023 at 11:13 AM Nikhil Mohite <
[email-masked]> wrote:

>    1. Give a button on the View/Edit data toolbar to convert the
>    View/Edit data to the Query tool, after this users will able to edit the
>    queries
>    2. 
>    3. In View/Edit data we can move the Query section with the Data
>    output panel so the user can use the maximum space to see the actual
>    result. (This is UI enhancement)

   I am inclined toward 2nd approach with UI enhancements to move the Query
section to Data Output.

---

From: Aditya Toshniwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 18:07:37 +0530

Hi Nikhil,

I am fine with both approaches. If we're going with the 2nd one then I
don't think we'll need an open query tool button. In fact, we can
re-shuffle the UI to make toolbar more compact and show only relevant to
view/edit data.

On Fri, Sep 29, 2023 at 12:32 PM Akshay Joshi <[email-masked]>
wrote:

>> <https://github.com/pgadmin-org/pgadmin4/issues/5908> Ability to Edit
>> the View/Edit Data Query as if it were a query tool pane.
>>
>>    4. Click on "Promote to Query Tool" will confirm from the user
>>    whether the user wants to promote View/Edit Data to Query Tool or not,
>>    after confirmation from the user it will promote View/Edit data to query
>>    tool.
>>    5. Once promoted to Query Tool it will not be able to use the
>>    *Filters* and *Limit* options that are available in View/Edit Data.
>>
>>    4. We can add the UI enhancements with this option as well to move
>>    the Query section to Data Output. (3rd point from 1st approach)
>>
>>
>> Please let me know your suggestions/thoughts. and which approach we
>> should go with.
>>
>
>
>    I am inclined toward 2nd approach with UI enhancements to move the
> Query section to Data Output.
>
>>
>> --
>> *Thanks & Regards,*
>> *Nikhil Mohite*

-- 
Thanks,
Aditya Toshniwal
pgAdmin Hacker | Sr. Software Architect | *enterprisedb.com*
<https://www.enterprisedb.com/>
"Don't Complain about Heat, Plant a TREE"

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2023 09:23:44 +0100

Hi Nikhil,

> Please let me know your suggestions/thoughts. and which approach we should

The idea that was previously discussed was  allowing the user to edit the
query, and then upon the first keypress, popping up a warning that says
something like:

----
Manually editing the query will cause this View/Edit Data tab to be
converted to a Query Tool tab. You will be able to edit the query text
freely, but no longer be able to use the toolbar buttons for sorting and
filtering data.

Do you wish to continue?
----

If the user opts to continue, then promotion will happen.

This is how I would like to see this done (with a "Do not show me this
again" option on the dialogue, and a corresponding Preferences option to
turn the warning back on again).

Thanks.

-- 
Dave Page
pgAdmin: https://www.pgadmin.org
PostgreSQL: https://www.postgresql.org
EDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com