Subject: Location of user configuration (Linux)

From: Bruno Friedmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2017 18:00:04 +0100

With the new layout of freedesktop can we imagine to placed
the runtime configuration and related to a more sensible directory than 
~/.pgadmin

The configuration is okay ~/.config/pgadmin 
Now the db, sessions, storage should be moved to
~/.local/share/pgadmin

That's where QTWebEngine place already its data.
.local/share/pgadmin/pgadmin4/QtWebEngine/Default/

-- 

Bruno Friedmann 
 Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch
 Bareos Partner, openSUSE Member, fsfe fellowship
 GPG KEY : D5C9B751C4653227
 irc: tigerfoot

-- 
Sent via pgadmin-hackers mailing list ([email-masked])
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgadmin-hackers

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2017 17:13:31 +0000

Hi

> the runtime configuration and related to a more sensible directory than

Using a per-app dot directory (or file) in the users home directory
has been an accepted location for user config/settings etc. for, what,
30+ years? I don't see a reason to write code to migrate from that -
I'd far rather spend time working on real issues.

-- 
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

EnterpriseDB UK: http://www.enterprisedb.com
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

---

From: Bruno Friedmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2017 18:37:12 +0100

> I'd far rather spend time working on real issues.

Sensible argument, just think to explain in documentation then that users will 
have pgadmin4 data in 3 locations : one config, two runtime data.
Which could be qualified as bad design or choice (see my smiley face?)
And more the time will pass, more users impacted ...

;-)

-- 

Bruno Friedmann