Subject: Query Auto Completion

From: Avin Kavish <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2019 16:53:28 +0530

Hi Hackers,

One major improvement I can think of for pgAdmin is query auto completion.
In the Jetbrains IDEs, the database console does smart completion using
relation and column names and even completes the join based on references.

For example, to get the query below I only had to type "s * f ma ij mo"
(with enters in between)

I'm predominantly a front end developer and willing to take a crack at this.

Regards,
Avin

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2019 16:42:11 +0100

Hi

> For example, to get the query below I only had to type "s * f ma ij mo"
Are you aware that there is already an auto-complete feature? When you want
to auto-complete something, just hit Ctrl+Space for options which will
popup in a menu.

> I'm predominantly a front end developer and willing to take a crack at

Cool - we'd be happy to take improvements. For example, there was a request
a short while ago to have the auto complete menu appear automatically if
configured to do so (if memory serves).

-- 
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

EnterpriseDB UK: http://www.enterprisedb.com
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

---

From: Avin Kavish <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2019 09:49:38 +0530

Oh okay, it seems that the connection to the database needs to be alive in
order for auto-completion to appear. I have been trying the hotkeys while
the connection was down. To be honest, it's more of a search when one
forgets something, rather than a "let me help you type faster". I was
thinking more along the lines of intellisense where it predicts the most
suitable option in advance and highlights it. Currently, options seem to be
sorted alphabetically and no option is highlighted by default. For example
I typed "select * f" only to get freeze as the first option which is not a
suitable keyword in that scenario. I'll take a look at improving this,
starting with opening the window automatically as you mentioned.

On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 5:46 AM Avin Kavish <[email-masked]> wrote:

> No, it doesn't work on my pc.
>
> On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 9:12 PM Dave Page <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>>> One major improvement I can think of for pgAdmin is query auto
>>> completion. In the Jetbrains IDEs, the database console does smart
>>> completion using relation and column names and even completes the join
>>> based on references.
>>>
>> Are you aware that there is already an auto-complete feature? When you
>> want to auto-complete something, just hit Ctrl+Space for options which will
>> popup in a menu.
>>
>>
>> Cool - we'd be happy to take improvements. For example, there was a
>> request a short while ago to have the auto complete menu appear
>> automatically if configured to do so (if memory serves).
>>
>> --
>> Dave Page