Subject: Unable to download macros query results (reference #RM5965)

From: Rahul Shirsat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2020 18:47:56 +0530

Hi Team,

Users are unable to download macros query results.

*Lets look out how download query result button works:*

For pgadmin4, always downloads the latest query result when the user makes
n-number of sql changes in the query tool, no need to execute, download
takes care of it. Does not work with macros as query is needed in the query
tool, which macros does not provide (While feature implementation, it was
decided that macros query won't be added to the query tool, as users may
lose any important queries in it).

In pgadmin3, always the last executed query result gets downloaded even if
the user makes n-number of sql changes in the query tool. Works with
macros. For the latest query change results, the user has to first execute
before every download.

For Macros, with the pgadmin4 approach, even if we implement a download
option, it would be difficult to decide whether to download the already ran
macros or to download the query result present in the query tool.

Please suggest.

-- 
*Rahul Shirsat*
Senior Software Engineer | EnterpriseDB Corporation.

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2020 13:26:02 +0000

Hi

> macros or to download the query result present in the query tool.

I've not been happy with that for a while. The button is marked as a
download button, however, it's really "Execute and save results". That's
quite different, and could result (as at least some users have found), the
file containing different data from what's shown in the grid from a normal
execution of the query.

I think we should make it a "Save results to file" button, and clarify the
behaviour (through docs, and only enabling button when there are results to
save). It should *not* execute a query, but simply save what is currently
in the grid. The only caveat I would note is that if the grid isn't fully
populated, it should do so first (the same as we do if you select all rows).

-- 
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

---

From: Rahul Shirsat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2020 19:31:58 +0530

Hi Team/Dave,

I have changed the docs for "Download as CSV/TXT" to "Save results to file
as CSV/TXT" *(could also be just "Save results to file")*

*Save results to*

*file as CSV/TXT*

Click the *Save results to file as CSV/TXT* icon to save the result set of
the current query as a *.csv* or as a *.txt* file. if *CSV field seperator* set
to comma(,) else as a *.txt* file. This button will only be enabled when
the executed query is not erroneous & returns valid results. You can
specify the CSV/TXT settings through *Preferences -> SQL Editor -> CSV/TXT
output* dialogue.

F8

And similar one liner changes in docs Developer tool -> Query tool -> The
Data Output Panel as well.

Let me know if anyone has suggestions regarding wordings.

On Thu, Nov 26, 2020 at 6:56 PM Dave Page <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> For pgadmin4, always downloads the latest query result when the user
>> makes n-number of sql changes in the query tool, no need to execute,
>> download takes care of it. Does not work with macros as query is needed in
>> the query tool, which macros does not provide (While feature
>> implementation, it was decided that macros query won't be added to the
>> query tool, as users may lose any important queries in it).
>>
>> In pgadmin3, always the last executed query result gets downloaded even
>> if the user makes n-number of sql changes in the query tool. Works with

-- 
*Rahul Shirsat*
Software Engineer | EnterpriseDB Corporation.

---

From: Rahul Shirsat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2020 19:41:27 +0530

Shall we consider to change the below observations as well?

What about Download CSV.. text?

On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 7:31 PM Rahul Shirsat <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Click the *Save results to file as CSV/TXT* icon to save the result set
> of the current query as a *.csv* or as a *.txt* file. if *CSV field
> seperator* set to comma(,) else as a *.txt* file. This button will only
> be enabled when the executed query is not erroneous & returns valid
> results. You can specify the CSV/TXT settings through *Preferences -> SQL
> Editor -> CSV/TXT output* dialogue.
>
> F8
>
>> I think we should make it a "Save results to file" button, and clarify
>> the behaviour (through docs, and only enabling button when there are
>> results to save). It should *not* execute a query, but simply save what is
>> currently in the grid. The only caveat I would note is that if the grid
>> isn't fully populated, it should do so first (the same as we do if you
>> select all rows).
>>
>> --
>> Dave Page

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2020 09:30:02 +0000

Hi

Here's some updated text:

Click the *Save results to file as CSV/TXT* icon to save the result set of
the current query as a delimited text file (CSV, if the field separator is
set to a comma). This button will only be enabled when a query has been
executed and there are results in the data grid. You can specify the
CSV/TXT settings in the Preference Dialogue under* SQL Editor -> CSV/TXT
output*.

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2020 09:31:54 +0000

Hmm, yeah. We should at least change those to "CSV/TXT". Maybe even stop
saying CSV/TXT at all, and change everywhere (including the help I just
edited) to use phrasing like "Download Results" (preferences) and
"Downloading Results..." (busy indicator).

On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 2:12 PM Rahul Shirsat <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 7:31 PM Rahul Shirsat <
>> I have changed the docs for "Download as CSV/TXT" to "Save results to
>> file as CSV/TXT" *(could also be just "Save results to file")*
>>
>>
>>
>> *Save results to*
>>
>> *file as CSV/TXT*
>>
>>
>> results. You can specify the CSV/TXT settings through *Preferences ->
>> SQL Editor -> CSV/TXT output* dialogue.
>>
>> F8
>>