Subject: [pgAdmin][RM3782] Debugger title should show connection and object details

From: Aditya Toshniwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2019 11:32:46 +0530

Hi Hackers,

Attached is the patch to add more information on connection details to
debugger panel title and content title similar to Query Tool and View/Edit
data.
Adding the object name with arguments is not a good idea for the panel
title, so I have kept to connection details similar to query tool. The
content title will have all the details.

Kindly review.

-- 
Thanks and Regards,
Aditya Toshniwal
Software Engineer | EnterpriseDB India | Pune
"Don't Complain about Heat, Plant a TREE"

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2019 09:23:57 +0100

Hi

> content title will have all the details.

I think not having the function name in there is a big limitation.

With all this hacking going on, I think what we need to do is stop and make
this configurable as has been both requested by users and suggested by us.

I propose adding 2 preference options for each tab type. Each of these
would be a string with placeholders, one for the tab title, and one for the
tab tooltip. For example:

- Query Tool
  * Placeholders: %DATABASE%, %SERVER%, %USERNAME%, %PORT%, %HOST%
  * Tab title default: %DATABASE% on %SERVER%
  * Tooltip title default: Query Tool: %DATABASE% on %USERNAME%@%SERVER%

- View Data
  * Placeholders: %TABLE%, %SCHEMA%, %DATABASE%, %SERVER%, %USERNAME%,
%PORT%, %HOST%
  * Tab title default: %SCHEMA%.%TABLE% in %DATABASE% on %SERVER%
  * Tooltip title default: View/Edit Data: %SCHEMA%.%TABLE% in %DATABASE%
on %USERNAME%@%SERVER%

- Script
  * Placeholders: %ACTION%, %OBJECT%, %SCHEMA%, %DATABASE%, %SERVER%,
%USERNAME%, %PORT%, %HOST%
  * Tab title default: %ACTION% %SCHEMA%.%OBJECT% in %DATABASE% on %SERVER%
  * Tooltip title default: %ACTION% Script: %SCHEMA%.%OBJECT% in %DATABASE%
on %USERNAME%@%SERVER%

- Debugger
  * Placeholders: %FUNCTION_ARGS%, %FUNCTION_NOARGS%, %SCHEMA%, %DATABASE%,
%SERVER%, %USERNAME%, %PORT%, %HOST%
  * Tab title default: %FUNCTION_NOARGS%.%OBJECT% in %DATABASE% on %SERVER%
  * Tooltip title default: Debugger: %SCHEMA%.%FUNCTION_ARGS% in %DATABASE%
on %USERNAME%@%SERVER%

Or something like that. Thoughts?

-- 
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

EnterpriseDB UK: http://www.enterprisedb.com
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

---

From: Aditya Toshniwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2019 14:32:04 +0530

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 1:54 PM Dave Page <[email-masked]> wrote:

> With all this hacking going on, I think what we need to do is stop and
> make this configurable as has been both requested by users and suggested by
> us.
>
>   * Tooltip title default: %ACTION% Script: %SCHEMA%.%OBJECT%
> in %DATABASE% on %USERNAME%@%SERVER%
>
> - Debugger
>   * Placeholders: %FUNCTION_ARGS%, %FUNCTION_NOARGS%, %SCHEMA%,
> %DATABASE%, %SERVER%, %USERNAME%, %PORT%, %HOST%
>   * Tooltip title default: Debugger: %SCHEMA%.%FUNCTION_ARGS%
> in %DATABASE% on %USERNAME%@%SERVER%
>
Yes, this could be a nice feature. I think tooltip title customisation is
not needed, we can just set it as  prefix + tab title. Some users asked for
in-place rename of tab title. I'm not sure if it is feasible to implement,
but should we consider it also ?

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2019 10:44:32 +0100

Hi

On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 10:02 AM Aditya Toshniwal <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> not needed, we can just set it as  prefix + tab title.
>

I think having it be separate is useful - you can include full information
there, but keep the tab minimal so as not to create huge tabs. For example,
the debugger tab could just be set to %FUNCTION_NOARGS%, whilst the tooltip
has the full string.

> Some users asked for in-place rename of tab title. I'm not sure if it is
> feasible to implement, but should we consider it also ?
>

No - I've only seen one request for that, and it seems like a lot of work
for little gain.

---

From: "Strauch, Sheldon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2019 10:26:23 -0500

FWIW:

   - +1 for INDEPENDENTLY configurable tab title AND tooltip
   - I agree that in-place edit of tabs cost/benefit isn't there, unless
   someone wants a personal free-time project

On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 4:44 AM Dave Page <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>>   * Tooltip title default: View/Edit Data: %SCHEMA%.%TABLE%
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__pgsnake.blogspot.com&d=DwMFaQ&c=lEzKI_JJakPtcnbAQ6Q5xQ&r=3P3-5UqoQFsuwPHL1Gr-FtP4nR5GVvvXlP89XkF_Y4w&m=m7F0ZO6XISz4efeKAoiH-zgc28fGDF5D28EPqWoR8Zc&s=Se3Rf1mZ5YUUpEeSpju_2WtOAmGZQV5utDkHjTpbfSg&e=>
> Twitter: @pgsnake
>
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.enterprisedb.com&d=DwMFaQ&c=lEzKI_JJakPtcnbAQ6Q5xQ&r=3P3-5UqoQFsuwPHL1Gr-FtP4nR5GVvvXlP89XkF_Y4w&m=m7F0ZO6XISz4efeKAoiH-zgc28fGDF5D28EPqWoR8Zc&s=a8Bm7sUnUKywflPSQ98o2ha5k8oBtacucx-pjrIXTIc&e=>

-- 

Look after your data, and your database will look after you. -- Simon Riggs

Sheldon E. Strauch
*Data Architect, Data Services *
*O* 312-676-1556
*M* 224-723-3878

*Enova International, Inc.*
*This transmission is confidential and may be privileged or proprietary. If
you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to use the
information in this transmission in any way. Please inform the sender
immediately if you have received this transmission in error and permanently
delete and destroy the original and any copies of the information.*

---

From: Aditya Toshniwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2019 10:36:11 +0530

I have closed this RM (RM3782 <https://redmine.postgresql.org/issues/3782>)
and have added the proposed solution to RM4232
<https://redmine.postgresql.org/issues/4232>.

On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 8:56 PM Strauch, Sheldon <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>> Yes, this could be a nice feature. I think tooltip title customisation
>>> is not needed, we can just set it as  prefix + tab title.
>>>
>>
>> I think having it be separate is useful - you can include full
>> information there, but keep the tab minimal so as not to create huge tabs.
>> For example, the debugger tab could just be set to %FUNCTION_NOARGS%,
>> whilst the tooltip has the full string.
>>
>>
> *This transmission is confidential and may be privileged or proprietary.
> If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to use the