Subject: PFA: Patch to generate universal(arm64, x86_64) binaries for macOS

From: Semab Tariq <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 15:40:16 +0500

Hi Team

Can someone please push this patch to the *master* branch of *pgAgent* repo?
For more details Please refer to JIRA PPS-310
<https://enterprisedb.atlassian.net/browse/PPS-310>

-- 
Thanks & Regards,
Semab

---

From: Semab Tariq <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2021 22:57:31 +0500

Hi Team

In my previous email, I attached a link to the JIRA ticket and I was hoping
that you can access that ticket and see the details about my patch but I
was unaware that JIRA is not accessible to the community so now I am
attaching the details here

*Details about my patch*

While trying to generate *pgAgent-4.2.1* universal binaries on *macOS
BigSur x86_64* architecture via following command
1BOOST_ROOT=/tmp/PG-pgAgent PGDIR=/tmp/PG-pgAgent /Applications/CMake.app/
Contents/bin/cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/tmp/PG-pgAgent -
DCMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES:STRING="x86_64;arm64" -DCMAKE_OSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET
:STRING=10.14 -DSTATIC_BUILD=NO -D CMAKE_OSX_SYSROOT:FILEPATH=/Library/
Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX11.1.sdk CMakeLists.txt

I got this error in configure log
1CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:43 (IF): 2 if given arguments: 3 "NOT"
"x86_64" "arm64" "STREQUAL" "" 4 Unknown arguments specified 5-- Configuring
incomplete, errors occurred!

After some debugging, I found out that the
*pgAgent-4.2.1-Source/CMakeLists.txt* file doesn't have proper double
quotes around *CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES* variable inside *if* condition so I
added that, and now I am able to build pgAgent universal binaries
successfully. If you don't have any concerns with my patch can someone
please push the changes to the source? Thanks & Regards,
Semab

--

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2021 09:11:50 +0100

Thanks, patch applied.

On Mon, Aug 2, 2021 at 2:44 AM Semab Tariq <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Hi Team
>
> In my previous email, I attached a link to the JIRA ticket and I was
> hoping that you can access that ticket and see the details about my patch
> but I was unaware that JIRA is not accessible to the community so now I am
> DCMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES:STRING="x86_64;arm64" -
> DCMAKE_OSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET:STRING=10.14 -DSTATIC_BUILD=NO -D
> CMAKE_OSX_SYSROOT:FILEPATH=/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/
> MacOSX11.1.sdk CMakeLists.txt
>
> "x86_64" "arm64" "STREQUAL" "" 4 Unknown arguments specified 5--
> Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
>
> quotes around *CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES* variable inside *if* condition so
> I added that, and now I am able to build pgAgent universal binaries

-- 
Dave Page
Blog: https://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

EDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com

---

From: Semab Tariq <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2021 13:27:17 +0500

Great, thanks for letting me know.

On Mon, Aug 2, 2021 at 1:12 PM Dave Page <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> 1BOOST_ROOT=/tmp/PG-pgAgent PGDIR=/tmp/PG-pgAgent /Applications/CMake.app
>> /Contents/bin/cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/tmp/PG-pgAgent -
>> quotes around *CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES* variable inside *if* condition
>> so I added that, and now I am able to build pgAgent universal binaries

-- 
Thanks & Regards,
Semab

---

From: Semab Tariq <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 15:21:37 +0500

(Adding Ashesh, Sandeep)

Hi Team

Do we have any possible date for the pgAgent-4.2.2 release?
I am interested in 4.2.2 because 4.2.1 doesn't have support to build
universal binaries on macOS but 4.2.2 will have this support because this
<https://github.com/postgres/pgagent/commit/6df18a9a0ac79f1d913f4279f36f2c95c9b9aa08>
commit is already pushed to the master branch
Also, we plan to release pgAgent for PG-14.0, and for this, we need
pgAgent-4.2.2(Due to its universal binaries support)

Thanks & Regards,
Semab

On Mon, Aug 2, 2021 at 1:27 PM Semab Tariq <[email-masked]>
wrote:

>>> 1BOOST_ROOT=/tmp/PG-pgAgent PGDIR=/tmp/PG-pgAgent /Applications/CMake.
>>> app/Contents/bin/cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/tmp/PG-pgAgent -
>>> On Fri, Jul 30, 2021 at 3:40 PM Semab Tariq <
>>> [email-masked]> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Hi Team
>>>>

--

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 12:00:29 +0100

Hi

I've tagged 4.2.2.

---

From: Semab Tariq <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 22:45:42 +0500

Awesome, thanks!

Thanks & Regards,
Semab

On Mon, Oct 4, 2021 at 4:00 PM Dave Page <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>>> On Mon, Aug 2, 2021 at 2:44 AM Semab Tariq <
>>>>> quotes around *CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES* variable inside *if*
>>>>> condition so I added that, and now I am able to build pgAgent universal
>>>>> binaries successfully. If you don't have any concerns with my patch can
>>>>> someone please push the changes to the source? Thanks & Regards,
>>>>> Semab
>>>>>

--