Subject: Require suggestions for Issue #2874

From: Rohit Bhati <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2024 17:08:49 +0530

Hi Hackers,

I have made the necessary changes for issue #2874
<https://github.com/pgadmin-org/pgadmin4/issues/2874> based on the theme
requirements.

I have attached screenshots showing how the updates look across all themes
for your reference.

If the current color does not fit well with the theme or if you have any
suggestions for improvements, please let me know.

Thanks,
Rohit Bhati
EnterpriseDB

---

From: Rohit Bhati <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2024 12:57:12 +0530

Hi Hackers,

Please check the updated attached screenshot  for an alternate background
color of table rows.
The images also shows alternate row color with some selected rows color
from the table.

Thanks,
Rohit Bhati
EnterpriseDB

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2024 11:21:21 +0100

Hi

> The images also shows alternate row color with some selected rows color
I think that looks good. Are you making it a preference, so users that
prefer non-stripey grids can keep the current look?

Whilst you're hacking on that, I believe there is another ticket (which I
can't find right now) about changing the colour of the row number column to
give it better visual distinction from the data columns. Probably worth
working on that one at the same time?

-- 
Dave Page
pgAdmin: https://www.pgadmin.org
PostgreSQL: https://www.postgresql.org
EDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com

PGDay UK 2024, 11th September, London: https://2024.pgday.uk/

---

From: Rohit Bhati <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2024 16:49:03 +0530

Hi,

Currently it is just theme based, whenever the user changes the theme
accordingly the color changes.
Not for any specific preference option for this right now, But if we want
that we can add.

And if i am not wrong you are talking about this  #7863
<https://github.com/pgadmin-org/pgadmin4/issues/7863> . If this is the
issue then I can work together on both.

Rohit Bhati
EnterpriseDB

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2024 12:32:48 +0100

Hi

> Not for any specific preference option for this right now, But if we want

Let's just go with it for now, and if people don't like it, we can add a
preference.

> issue then I can work together on both.

Yes, that's the one :-)

>>> Please check the updated attached screenshot  for an alternate
>>> background color of table rows.

---

From: Rohit Bhati <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2024 19:08:20 +0530

Hi,

I have made changes for issue #7863
<https://github.com/pgadmin-org/pgadmin4/issues/7863> based on theme
requirements.

Note :- As I also follow this DBEAVER
<https://dbeaver.io/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/data_edit-450x220.png>
image which
the user shares on the issue #7863
<https://github.com/pgadmin-org/pgadmin4/issues/7863>.

Thanks,
Rohit Bhati
EnterpriseDB

On Thu, Sep 5, 2024 at 5:03 PM Rohit Bhati <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Ok
>
> On Thu, Sep 5, 2024 at 5:03 PM Dave Page <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>>> Not for any specific preference option for this right now, But if we
>>> want that we can add.
>>>
>>
>>>>> The images also shows alternate row color with some selected rows
>>>>> color from the table.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>> Whilst you're hacking on that, I believe there is another ticket (which
>>>> I can't find right now) about changing the colour of the row number column
>>>> to give it better visual distinction from the data columns. Probably worth

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2024 14:41:31 +0100

Hi

> suggestions for improvements, please let me know.

Is the colour contrast high enough on the row numbers for selected rows in
the high contrast theme? The black on grey seems like it might not be to
me, but I haven't tested.

I wonder also if we should make the row numbers bold all the time. Thoughts?

---

From: Yogesh Mahajan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2024 10:09:13 +0530

On Thu, Sep 5, 2024 at 7:11 PM Dave Page <[email-masked]> wrote:
Hi,

Hi
>> I have attached screenshots showing how the updates look across all
>> themes for your reference.
>>

Yes. We should.

---

From: Khushboo Vashi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2024 12:35:28 +0530

> I wonder also if we should make the row numbers bold all the time.
We can check how it looks. Also the cell border doesn't look good to me.

---

From: Rohit Bhati <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2024 13:48:38 +0530

Hi,

I have removed the border and background color, just made the row numbers
bold.

I have attached screenshots showing how the updates look across all themes.

On Fri, Sep 6, 2024 at 12:35 PM Khushboo Vashi <
[email-masked]> wrote:

>> Is the colour contrast high enough on the row numbers for selected rows
>> in the high contrast theme? The black on grey seems like it might not be to

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2024 09:21:09 +0100

Hi

On Fri, 6 Sept 2024 at 09:19, Rohit Bhati <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> .

That doesn't look bold at all to me - and I think we still need some other
visual distinction, such as the column background colour.

>>>> If the current color does not fit well with the theme or if you have
>>>> any suggestions for improvements, please let me know.
>>>>
>>>

---

From: Rohit Bhati <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2024 13:55:35 +0530

I have made some more changes with changing background color.

On Fri, Sep 6, 2024 at 1:51 PM Dave Page <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> I have removed the border and background color, just made the row
>> numbers bold.
>>

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2024 09:30:48 +0100

> I have made some more changes with changing background color.

Yeah, that looks weird again, specifically on the selected rows. I believe
the issue is that we should not highlight the row number column when a row
is selected at all. That makes sense, as we should only be highlighting the
columns that would get copied in a copy/paste operation anyway.

Also, the bold still doesn't look bold. I think the weight needs to be
increased.

>>> themes.
>> That doesn't look bold at all to me - and I think we still need some
>> other visual distinction, such as the column background colour.
>>
>>
>>>
>>>
>>>>> On Thu, 5 Sept 2024 at 14:38, Rohit Bhati <
>>>>> [email-masked]> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> Hi,
>>>>>>
>>>>> Is the colour contrast high enough on the row numbers for selected
>>>>> rows in the high contrast theme? The black on grey seems like it might not
>>>>> be to me, but I haven't tested.
>>>>>

---

From: Rohit Bhati <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2024 14:48:45 +0530

Hi Dave,

I have made changes as per your suggestions.
I have attached screenshots showing how the updates look across all themes
for your reference.

If the current changes does not fit well with the theme or if you have any
suggestions for improvements, please let me know.

Thanks
Rohit Bhati
EnterpriseDB

On Fri, Sep 6, 2024 at 2:01 PM Dave Page <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>>>>>> <https://github.com/pgadmin-org/pgadmin4/issues/7863> based on
>>>>>>> theme requirements.
>>>>>>>

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2024 10:59:43 +0100

Hi

> suggestions for improvements, please let me know.

The colours etc. look correct now (ie. there are no weird borders), but I
still don't think the row number looks visually distinct from the rest of
the data. The bold text simply isn't very bold - I think it still needs
more weight.

>> Yeah, that looks weird again, specifically on the selected rows. I
>> believe the issue is that we should not highlight the row number column
>> when a row is selected at all. That makes sense, as we should only be
>> highlighting the columns that would get copied in a copy/paste operation
>> anyway.
>>
>>>>>>>> If the current color does not fit well with the theme or if you
>>>>>>>> have any suggestions for improvements, please let me know.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>

---

From: Anil Sahoo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2024 16:06:09 +0530

Hi Rohit/Dave,

If we can remove the alternate background color from the row number column
and give light grey or different color to the row number column and the
column header, that will make the data distinct with the alternate
background color from the headers and row number column.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
Anil
--

<http://www.enterprisedb.com>

*Anil Sahoo*

Software Engineer

www.enterprisedb.com

Power to Postgres

<https://www.linkedin.com/company/edbpostgres>
<https://twitter.com/edbpostgres?lang=en>
<https://www.facebook.com/EDBpostgres>
<https://www.instagram.com/EDBpostgres/>

On Mon, Sep 9, 2024 at 3:30 PM Dave Page <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> If the current changes does not fit well with the theme or if you have
>>>>> On Fri, 6 Sept 2024 at 09:19, Rohit Bhati <
>>>>>>>>> I have attached screenshots showing how the updates look across
>>>>>>>>> all themes for your reference.
>>>>>>>>>

---

From: Rohit Bhati <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2024 16:11:39 +0530

I already set weight to 900.
If we need to be more distinct then I think we can have some shadow or if
anything else please suggest.

---

From: Rohit Bhati <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2024 13:07:52 +0530

Hi Dave,

I have added shadow to make the text more distinct and attached screenshots
based on themes.
Please once check and let me know if we can go ahead with this or provide
suggestions if need to make changes.

Thanks & Regards
Rohit Bhati

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2024 10:12:44 +0100

Hi

Shadow is more visible, but it doesn't really follow the material UI
styling which is flat rather than 3D.

I think Anil's idea is worth exploring; remove the alternating colour for
the row number column, and use a different background shade for it entirely.

On Tue, 10 Sept 2024 at 08:38, Rohit Bhati <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> I have added shadow to make the text more distinct and attached
> screenshots based on themes.
>>> The colours etc. look correct now (ie. there are no weird borders), but
>>> I still don't think the row number looks visually distinct from the rest of
>>>>> On Fri, 6 Sept 2024 at 09:25, Rohit Bhati <
>>>>>>>>>> Is the colour contrast high enough on the row numbers for
>>>>>>>>>> selected rows in the high contrast theme? The black on grey seems like it
>>>>>>>>>> might not be to me, but I haven't tested.
>>>>>>>>>>

---

From: Rohit Bhati <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2024 17:12:59 +0530

Hi Dave,

I have made some changes and made the header and serial number row
column color the same.

Please once check the attached images.

Thanks

On Tue, Sep 10, 2024 at 2:42 PM Dave Page <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>> If we need to be more distinct then I think we can have some shadow or
>>> if anything else please suggest.
>>>
>>>>>> Also, the bold still doesn't look bold. I think the weight needs to
>>>>>> be increased.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> all themes.
>>>>>>>> That doesn't look bold at all to me - and I think we still need
>>>>>>>> some other visual distinction, such as the column background colour.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2024 13:04:13 +0100

Hi

> Please once check the attached images.

I think that looks much better!

Thanks.

>>> Please once check and let me know if we can go ahead with this or
>>> provide suggestions if need to make changes.
>>>
>>> Thanks & Regards
>>> Rohit Bhati
>>>
>>>
>>>>> On Mon, 9 Sept 2024 at 10:18, Rohit Bhati <
>>>>>> If the current changes does not fit well with the theme or if you
>>>>> The colours etc. look correct now (ie. there are no weird borders),
>>>>> but I still don't think the row number looks visually distinct from the
>>>>> rest of the data. The bold text simply isn't very bold - I think it still
>>>>> needs more weight.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Thanks
>>>>>> Rohit Bhati
>>>>>> EnterpriseDB
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>> <https://github.com/pgadmin-org/pgadmin4/issues/7863> based
>>>>>>>>>>>>> on theme requirements.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>> I have attached screenshots showing how the updates look
>>>>>>>>>>>>> across all themes for your reference.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>> If the current color does not fit well with the theme or if
>>>>>>>>>>>>> you have any suggestions for improvements, please let me know.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>

---

From: Rohit Bhati <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2024 17:41:04 +0530

Ok, I am applying that.

Thanks for the suggestions.

On Tue, Sep 10, 2024 at 5:34 PM Dave Page <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>> I think Anil's idea is worth exploring; remove the alternating colour
>>> for the row number column, and use a different background shade for it
>>> entirely.
>>>
>>>> On Mon, Sep 9, 2024 at 4:11 PM Rohit Bhati <

---

From: Aditya Toshniwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2024 09:13:03 +0530

Hi Rohit,

It is actually the same as existing with only difference is alternate row
backgrounds. If later we remove the alternate bg using preferences then
issue of distinguishing row numbers will remain un-fixed.

On Tue, Sep 10, 2024 at 5:41 PM Rohit Bhati <[email-masked]>
wrote:

>>>> On Tue, 10 Sept 2024 at 08:38, Rohit Bhati <
>>>>>> If we need to be more distinct then I think we can have some shadow
>>>>>> or if anything else please suggest.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Also, the bold still doesn't look bold. I think the weight needs
>>>>>>>>> to be increased.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>

-- 
Thanks,
Aditya Toshniwal
pgAdmin Hacker | Sr. Software Architect | *enterprisedb.com*
<https://www.enterprisedb.com/>
"Don't Complain about Heat, Plant a TREE"

---

From: Aditya Toshniwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2024 09:37:09 +0530

Hi,

It can be something like below. I've removed the shadows completely.

On Thu, Sep 12, 2024 at 9:13 AM Aditya Toshniwal <
[email-masked]> wrote:

>>>>>>>>>> Yeah, that looks weird again, specifically on the selected rows.
>>>>>>>>>> I believe the issue is that we should not highlight the row number column
>>>>>>>>>>>>> across all themes.

---

From: Rohit Bhati <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2024 15:39:56 +0530

Hi Dave,
As per Aditya suggestion, I have made some changes and attached images.
Please check and let me know if you need any changes.

Thanks and Regards
Rohit Bhati

On Thu, Sep 12, 2024 at 9:37 AM Aditya Toshniwal <
[email-masked]> wrote:

>>>>>>>>> The colours etc. look correct now (ie. there are no weird
>>>>>>>>> borders), but I still don't think the row number looks visually distinct
>>>>>>>>> from the rest of the data. The bold text simply isn't very bold - I think
>>>>>>>>> it still needs more weight.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> Thanks
>>>>>>>>>> Rohit Bhati
>>>>>>>>>> EnterpriseDB
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I have removed the border and background color, just made
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the row numbers bold.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>> That doesn't look bold at all to me - and I think we still
>>>>>>>>>>>>> need some other visual distinction, such as the column background colour.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> If the current color does not fit well with the theme or
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> if you have any suggestions for improvements, please let me know.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2024 15:19:09 +0100

Hi

Aditya made a good point - however, the colour on the standard theme didn't
look right to me so I checked on the styleguide and it doesn't seem like
you used one of the standard colours? For the dark theme it looks like you
used border-color, whilst for high contrast, gray-light perhaps? I wonder
if border-color would be appropriate in all cases?

On Thu, 12 Sept 2024 at 11:10, Rohit Bhati <[email-masked]>
wrote:

>>> It is actually the same as existing with only difference is alternate
>>> row backgrounds. If later we remove the alternate bg using preferences then
>>> On Tue, Sep 10, 2024 at 5:41 PM Rohit Bhati <
>>>>> On Tue, 10 Sep 2024 at 12:43, Rohit Bhati <
>>>>>>> I think Anil's idea is worth exploring; remove the alternating
>>>>>>> colour for the row number column, and use a different background shade for
>>>>>>> it entirely.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> If we need to be more distinct then I think we can have some
>>>>>>>>> shadow or if anything else please suggest.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>> If the current changes does not fit well with the theme or if
>>>>>>>>>>>> Yeah, that looks weird again, specifically on the selected
>>>>>>>>>>>> rows. I believe the issue is that we should not highlight the row number
>>>>>>>>>>>> column when a row is selected at all. That makes sense, as we should only
>>>>>>>>>>>> be highlighting the columns that would get copied in a copy/paste operation
>>>>>>>>>>>> anyway.
>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>> Also, the bold still doesn't look bold. I think the weight
>>>>>>>>>>>> needs to be increased.
>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>

---

From: Rohit Bhati <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2024 17:47:05 +0530

Hi Dave,

I haven't used any border colors for any cases previously.
However, I tried using border colors for all cases, but this approach
overlaps the column and header separators,
which doesn't look good. I've attached a screenshot below for your
reference.

On Thu, Sep 12, 2024 at 7:49 PM Dave Page <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Aditya made a good point - however, the colour on the standard theme
> didn't look right to me so I checked on the styleguide and it doesn't seem
> like you used one of the standard colours? For the dark theme it looks like
> you used border-color, whilst for high contrast, gray-light perhaps? I
> wonder if border-color would be appropriate in all cases?
>
>>>>>>>> Shadow is more visible, but it doesn't really follow the material
>>>>>>>> UI styling which is flat rather than 3D.
>>>>>>>>

---

From: Khushboo Vashi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2024 10:48:59 +0530

On Tue, Sep 24, 2024 at 5:47 PM Rohit Bhati <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> which doesn't look good.

I liked it :)
Can you please post the other themes' screen-shot as well?

> I've attached a screenshot below for your reference.
>
>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I have attached screenshots showing how the updates
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> look across all themes for your reference.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> If the current color does not fit well with the theme
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> or if you have any suggestions for improvements, please let me know.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Is the colour contrast high enough on the row numbers
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> for selected rows in the high contrast theme? The black on grey seems like
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> it might not be to me, but I haven't tested.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

---

From: Rohit Bhati <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2024 11:01:02 +0530

Hi Khushboo,
I have attached screenshots of the remaining themes.

On Wed, Sep 25, 2024 at 10:49 AM Khushboo Vashi <
[email-masked]> wrote:

>>>>>>>>>>> Please once check and let me know if we can go ahead with this
>>>>>>>>>>> or provide suggestions if need to make changes.
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>> Thanks & Regards
>>>>>>>>>>> Rohit Bhati
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>

---

From: Rohit Bhati <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2024 11:04:10 +0530

Hi Khushboo,

---

From: Akshay Joshi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2024 12:18:08 +0530

Hi Rohit,

I was not too fond of this new changes, rather like the old one that you
have send earlier.

On Wed, Sep 25, 2024 at 4:48 PM Rohit Bhati <[email-masked]>
wrote:

>>>> On Thu, 12 Sept 2024 at 11:10, Rohit Bhati <
>>>>>>> It is actually the same as existing with only difference is
>>>>>>> alternate row backgrounds. If later we remove the alternate bg using
>>>>>>> preferences then issue of distinguishing row numbers will remain un-fixed.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> I have made some changes and made the header and serial number
>>>>>>>>>> row column color the same.
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>> Shadow is more visible, but it doesn't really follow the
>>>>>>>>>>> material UI styling which is flat rather than 3D.
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>> I have added shadow to make the text more distinct and
>>>>>>>>>>>> attached screenshots based on themes.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> If the current changes does not fit well with the theme or
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> That doesn't look bold at all to me - and I think we
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> still need some other visual distinction, such as the column background
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> colour.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2024 10:12:52 +0100

Hi

> which doesn't look good. I've attached a screenshot below for your

No, it doesn't look great.

But just to be clear; I'm more concerned that we use the existing colours
in the styleguide, than that we stick to using them for exactly what the
name suggests they are for. We should definitely *not* be using any new
colours that are not already in the styleguide.

---

From: Rohit Bhati <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2024 16:45:15 +0530

Hi Dave,
As i am only using the color which is present in  styleguide for the
background colors based on themes.