Subject: PGAgent 4.0 error feedback

From: Rob Emery <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2018 21:56:28 +0100

Hi Guys,

I've been testing out PGAgent 4 (build today from master at commit
86ca5c5ed1ad572075ba27e05e4680ebdf5b9feb) to check the connection
handling on error is still fixed with the boost reimplementation
(which it is!)
and noticed a few issues compared to PGAgent 3 around feedback to the
user if the connection string is incorrect.

I've tested with incorrect username and password, user not in the hba,
db doesn't exist, postgresql not running on the host (or incorrect
hostaddr) and 4 seems to always returns the error :
`
ERROR: Couldn't find the function 'pgagent_schema_version' - please
run pgagent_upgrade.sql.
`

whereas 3.4.1 tends to output from the pgconnection itself like:
`
Sat Jun  9 21:32:13 2018 : WARNING: Couldn't create the primary
connection (attempt 1): FATAL:  no pg_hba.conf entry for host
"172.30.0.16", user "pgagent_login_role", database
"pgagent_login_role", SSL on
FATAL:  no pg_hba.conf entry for host "172.30.0.16", user
"pgagent_login_role", database "pgagent_login_role", SSL off
`

which at least points the user towards the actual error!

Not sure if this is known already, but I thought I'd raise it prior to release.

Thanks,
Rob
--

-- 
 <https://codeweavers.net>

Codeweavers May Newsletter 
<https://mailchi.mp/codeweavers/march-edition-336883>  l  Codeweavers April 
Finance Trends 
<https://codeweavers.net/company-blog/codeweavers-april-finance-trends>

April’s Dealer Highlights 
<https://codeweavers.net/company-blog/aprils-dealer-highlights> 
<https://codeweavers.net/company-blog/codeweavers-march-car-finance-trends>

_
_

*Phone:* 0800 021 0888   Email: [email-masked] 
<mailto:[email-masked]>
Codeweavers Ltd | Barn 4 | Dunston 
Business Village | Dunston | ST18 9AB
Registered in England and Wales No. 
04092394 | VAT registration no. 974 9705 63 

<https://www.linkedin.com/company/codeweavers-limited>   
<https://vimeo.com/codeweaversltd>   
<https://plus.google.com/b/105942302039373248738/+CodeweaversNet>   
<https://twitter.com/CodeweaversTeam>

---

From: Ashesh Vashi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 09:13:01 +0530

Hi Rob,

> Not sure if this is known already, but I thought I'd raise it prior to
Thanks for sharing the information.

Is it possible for you to share the logs with log level set to debug?
Also - please share the operating system details?

--

Thanks & Regards,

Ashesh Vashi
EnterpriseDB INDIA: Enterprise PostgreSQL Company
<http://www.enterprisedb.com/>

*http://www.linkedin.com/in/asheshvashi*
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/asheshvashi>

> <https://codeweavers.net/company-blog/codeweavers-march-car-finance-trends
> >
>
> _
> _
>
>
>

---

From: Ashesh Vashi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 09:58:17 +0530

Hi Rob,

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 9:13 AM, Ashesh Vashi <[email-masked]
> wrote:

> Also - please share the operating system details?

I've sent a patch
<https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAG7mmoy7ruK%3DHZGOt5GTFsuSF5e4%2BzHnagU0hJfuMUhqjZs%3Dmw%40mail.gmail.com>
to resolve the issue  based on some assumptions, to verify those
assumptions I would still like to see the logs (if you can provide), and
operating system information.

--

Thanks & Regards,

Ashesh Vashi

*http://www.linkedin.com/in/asheshvashi
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/asheshvashi>*

---

From: Rob Emery <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 08:20:19 +0100

Hi Ashesh,

Log-level wise I was using the same command for both versions:

 ./pgagent -f -l 2 -t 1 -r 1 'hostaddr=server user=username
password=password dbname=postgres'

and messing up the connection string in various ways (missing dbname,
incorrect password, incorrect hostaddr)

This was built and tested on  Debian GNU/Linux 9.4 (stretch).

I've attached an example of the differing output when the dbname is missing
from the connectionstring; basically it's the same for all errors.

Many Thanks,
Rob

_
_

---

From: Ashesh Vashi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 12:58:51 +0530

Hi Rob,

> This was built and tested on  Debian GNU/Linux 9.4 (stretch).
If you're working on the source, would please test the patch sent by me?

> from the connectionstring; basically it's the same for all errors.

Thanks a lot for the information.

-- Thanks, Ashesh

---

From: Robert Emery <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 09:08:47 +0100

Hello Again,

I've just tested the patch and the output is *much* more verbose with the same
set of flags now, even more so than the old version (see attached).

Thanks,
Rob

-- 
Robert Emery
Infrastructure Director

E: [email-masked] | T: 01785 711633 | W: www.codeweavers.net

_
_

---

From: Rob Emery <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 09:10:19 +0100

Hello Again,

Thanks,
Rob

-- 
Robert Emery
Infrastructure Director

-- 
Robert Emery
Infrastructure Director

_
_

---

From: Ashesh Vashi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 15:13:41 +0530

> set of flags now, even more so than the old version (see attached).
Yes.

A many systems, pgAgent service starts before the database service file on
opearting system start.
Hence - instead of quitting on first connection failure, we attempt to
connect the database server at least 10 time before quitting, and that
would give the database server to start.

-- Thanks, Ashesh

> >> >> Not sure if this is known already, but I thought I'd raise it prior
> to
> >> >> release.
> >> >>
> >> >> <https://mailchi.mp/codeweavers/march-edition-336883>  l
> Codeweavers
> >> >> April
> >> >> Finance Trends