Subject: passwords enabled by default

From: Andrew Coleman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2019 08:27:27 -0400

Recently, while testing my changes to entrypoint.sh in Docker, I noticed
that you cannot import or export passwords via the servers.json file. You
can get around this by setting the PassFile option in servers.json, but
that still doesn't work correctly. For me to make this work, I had to also
set the `PGPASSFILE` to the full path location of the pgpass file generated
for me by Helm.

To clarify, I know how many servers I want to connect to and how to find
their passwords in Kubernetes via their secret, and I use Helm to stitch
all of that together into a pgpass file that psql and pgadmin4 can use to
connect to the servers without user intervention.

The presence of the pgpass file and the reference to that file in the
servers.json was not enough to allow pgadmin4 to connect to the servers, I
also had to set `PGPASSFILE` in my Helm chart to make this work.

This seems like another good ticket, no? I know where to add them and I'll
put a patch in place, but I could sure use a little bit of guidance on the
copy portion of the documentation. I know why it works for me, but would
anyone conceivably use this in a non-Dockerized deployment?

Thanks,
Andrew

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2019 11:15:52 -0400

Fahar, can you verify that the Password File option works as expected (or
not) in a non-containerised environment? It should *not* require PGPASSFILE
to be set (because that's basically what it should be doing for us).

Thanks.

-- 
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

EnterpriseDB UK: http://www.enterprisedb.com
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

---

From: Fahar Abbas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2019 15:00:09 +0500

Yes Dave it's working as expected.

On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 8:16 PM Dave Page <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> This seems like another good ticket, no? I know where to add them and
>> I'll put a patch in place, but I could sure use a little bit of guidance on
>> the copy portion of the documentation. I know why it works for me, but
>> would anyone conceivably use this in a non-Dockerized deployment?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Andrew
>>
>
>
> --
> Dave Page

-- 
Fahar Abbas
QMG
EnterpriseDB Corporation
Phone Office: +92-51-835-8874
Phone Direct: +92-51-8466803
Mobile: +92-333-5409707
Skype ID: *live:fahar.abbas*
Website: www.enterprisedb.com

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2019 11:12:25 +0100

Great, thanks. Can you now test it in a container? I think you'll need to
map the file location in the container to the host machine, and then
specify the location in the container (e.g. /pgpass in the example below)
when you configure the server in pgAdmin. e.g.

docker run -p 80:80 \
        -e "PGADMIN_DEFAULT_EMAIL=[email-masked]" \
        -e "PGADMIN_DEFAULT_PASSWORD=SuperSecret" \
        -v "/path/on/host/to/pgpass:/pgpass" \
        -d dpage/pgadmin4