Subject: Replace jasmine+karma with jest

From: Aditya Toshniwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 12:53:39 +0530

Hi Hackers,

I suggest we should replace jasmine+karma combination with jest for the
following reasons:
1. Jest is a zero dependency, less config testing framework.
2. Has built in support for React. Easy to write React test cases. Jasmine
is more for Angular than React.
3. Jasmine requires enzyme to be installed separately, which is not always
up to date with latest React versions.
https://github.com/enzymejs/enzyme/issues/2524 it still doesn't support
React 18.
3. Used by Facebook for React testing.
4. In built code coverage.
5. Allows React component mocking which is not possible with jasmine yet.
6. It is jasmine compatible, so easy to migrate.
7. Future proof.

What do you think?

-- 
Thanks,
Aditya Toshniwal
pgAdmin Hacker | Sr. Software Architect | *enterprisedb.com*
<https://www.enterprisedb.com/>
"Don't Complain about Heat, Plant a TREE"

---

From: Aditya Toshniwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 14:04:38 +0530

Adding to this - https://2022.stateofjs.com/en-US/libraries/testing/ here
is what the usage says.

---

From: Akshay Joshi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 15:51:52 +0530

Looks good to me.

On Tue, Sep 5, 2023 at 2:05 PM Aditya Toshniwal <
[email-masked]> wrote:

>> 2. Has built in support for React. Easy to write React test cases.
>> Jasmine is more for Angular than React.
>> 3. Jasmine requires enzyme to be installed separately, which is not
>> always up to date with latest React versions.