Subject: Keyboard shortcut challenges

From: Aditya Toshniwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 16:26:22 +0530

Hi Hackers,

I'm working on removing the usage of Access Keys(which varies based on OS
and Browser combination) for keyboard shortcuts and instead use shortcuts
similar to all other IDEs.
The challenge here is OS. MacOS has an extra key - Meta, which pgAdmin
doesn't take as part of keyboard shortcut currently. In fact, Mac can take
Ctrl separately.
pgAdmin can run as a web app so it's even more difficult. It is not
possible to have multiple shortcuts based on the OS of the browser.
I suggest we consider Ctrl as Meta when running on a Mac.
Please let me know what you think.

-- 
Thanks,
Aditya Toshniwal
pgAdmin Hacker | Sr. Software Architect | *enterprisedb.com*
<https://www.enterprisedb.com/>
"Don't Complain about Heat, Plant a TREE"

---

From: Aditya Toshniwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 16:44:11 +0530

Hi,

Just came to my mind - We could add one more checkbox - "Is Meta?" for
Ctrl. That way - users will have more control.

---

From: Yogesh Mahajan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 10:49:09 +0530

Hi Aditya,

What is the behaviour of the other editors with respect to Meta Key? If
they do not treat Meta key differently, then we shouldn't.

Thanks,
Yogesh Mahajan
EnterpriseDB

---

From: Aditya Toshniwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 11:45:55 +0530

Hi Yogesh,

The difference between other editors and pgAdmin is that pgAdmin can run on
the web. Which means, a pgAdmin server hosted on linux can be opened on a
Mac machine browser.

On Wed, Apr 17, 2024 at 10:49 AM Yogesh Mahajan <
[email-masked]> wrote:

>>> I'm working on removing the usage of Access Keys(which varies based on
>>> OS and Browser combination) for keyboard shortcuts and instead use
>>> shortcuts similar to all other IDEs.

---

From: Aditya Toshniwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 11:44:46 +0530

Hi Hackers,

I'm planning to change the keyboard shortcuts to allow the user to select
"Cmd" instead of "Ctrl". As I mentioned above, only one of them could be
selected to allow working on other OS's. On other OS like windows, "Ctrl"
and "Cmd" will be treated the same, "Cmd" will be hidden and "Option" will
change on "Alt".
I also made some UI improvements like moving shift, ctrl, alt keys before
the key input and making it more compact.
Please let me know your thoughts.

New UI:

Old UI:

On Wed, Apr 17, 2024 at 11:45 AM Aditya Toshniwal <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi Yogesh,
>
> The difference between other editors and pgAdmin is that pgAdmin can run
> on the web. Which means, a pgAdmin server hosted on linux can be opened on
> a Mac machine browser.
>

---

From: Akshay Joshi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 11:51:44 +0530

> Please let me know your thoughts.

    Looks good to me.