Subject: pg_file_settings

From: Rıdvan Korkmaz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2023 14:37:27 +0300

Hi,
When I read the docs for pg_file_settings view on pg_file_settings
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/view-pg-file-settings.html>

.... This view is helpful for checking whether planned changes in the
configuration files will work, or for diagnosing a previous failure. Note
that this view reports on the current contents of the files, not on what
was last applied by the server. (The pg_settings view is usually sufficient
to determine that.)

But the following test shows the opposite. When the parameter value is "on"
for *log_connections, *there is *no error for value*, which is the expected
case. But If I change the value in postgresql.conf to *"dummy"* then re-run
the query, this time *I expected the error column to show error*,* but
again it is null, *which means, I potentially apply this value to the
parameter.

Is there something I am missing?

Client and server is 16.1 from the RPM package.

---

From: Aditya Toshniwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2023 10:25:45 +0530

Hi Rıdvan,

This is a pgAdmin mailing list. Please send this to
[email-masked] for PostgreSQL related questions.

On Mon, Dec 25, 2023 at 5:07 PM Rıdvan Korkmaz <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> But the following test shows the opposite. When the parameter value is
> "on" for *log_connections, *there is *no error for value*, which is the
> expected case. But If I change the value in postgresql.conf to *"dummy"*
> then re-run the query, this time *I expected the error column to show
> error*,* but again it is null, *which means, I potentially apply this
> value to the parameter.
>

-- 
Thanks,
Aditya Toshniwal
pgAdmin Hacker | Sr. Software Architect | *enterprisedb.com*
<https://www.enterprisedb.com/>
"Don't Complain about Heat, Plant a TREE"