Subject: [pgAdmin][RM4195] Tab navigation is broken in Query tool (Accessibility)

From: Aditya Toshniwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2019 14:30:30 +0530

Hi Hackers,

Attached is the patch to fix the accessibility issue in query tool.

The query tool can be completely restructured unlike previously where query
tool used to stick at top and other tabs in the bottom.
- I have added a new shortcut to switch between frames if in query tool the
tab positions are changed. On switching the frames, the frame will blink to
show it is focussed.
- In the frame, you can switch tab same as previous. The tabs in SQL editor
are cyclic now, which means if you execute shortcut to go right on the last
tab then it will cycle to first tab.
- I have also changed the default shortcut to switch between tabs from
Shift+Ctrl+ArrowKeys to Shift+Ctrl+[ and ] similar to what we have in
browser tabs.
- Similar changes done for debugger also.

Kindly review.

-- 
Thanks and Regards,
Aditya Toshniwal
Software Engineer | EnterpriseDB India | Pune
"Don't Complain about Heat, Plant a TREE"

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2019 13:02:29 +0100

Hi

On Tue, May 21, 2019 at 10:01 AM Aditya Toshniwal <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> The query tool can be completely restructured unlike previously where
> query tool used to stick at top and other tabs in the bottom.
> - I have added a new shortcut to switch between frames if in query tool
> the tab positions are changed. On switching the frames, the frame will
> blink to show it is focussed.
> - In the frame, you can switch tab same as previous. The tabs in SQL
> editor are cyclic now, which means if you execute shortcut to go right on
> the last tab then it will cycle to first tab.

Shouldn't there be documentation changes to go with this?

Otherwise, it seems to work :-)

-- 
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

EnterpriseDB UK: http://www.enterprisedb.com
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

---

From: Aditya Toshniwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2019 17:42:09 +0530

Hi,

> Shouldn't there be documentation changes to go with this?
Yes, definitely :P
Will send the updated patch.

---

From: Aditya Toshniwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2019 11:22:31 +0530

Hi,

Attached is the updated patch with doc changes.

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2019 09:00:55 +0100

Hi,

On further testing, this doesn't seem to be working as expected.
Alt+Shift+] or [ in the query tool are typing ’ and ” and not changing the
tab. If I switch to a non-input tab (e.g. History), they still don't work.

Alt+Shift+Tab changes the panel successfully though, and does cause the
flash as expected.

I'm using Chrome 74.0.3729.131 on Mojave.

---

From: Aditya Toshniwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2019 13:10:46 +0530

Hi,

> tab. If I switch to a non-input tab (e.g. History), they still don't work.
I am not able to simulate the quotes problem, but I have made a few
corrections to fix the switching.
Attached is the updated patch, kindly review.

>>>>> - I have added a new shortcut to switch between frames if in query
>>>>> tool the tab positions are changed. On switching the frames, the frame will

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2019 16:08:42 -0400

Hi

> Attached is the updated patch, kindly review.

Alt+Shift+[ (or ]) don[t work at all for me now :-(

>>>>>> - I have also changed the default shortcut to switch between tabs
>>>>>> from Shift+Ctrl+ArrowKeys to Shift+Ctrl+[ and ] similar to what we have in
>>>>>> browser tabs.

---

From: Aditya Toshniwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2019 14:10:05 +0530

Hi,

> Alt+Shift+[ (or ]) don[t work at all for me now :-(
Did you restart the server after applying the patch ?  What shortcut does
preferences show ?

>>>>>>> The query tool can be completely restructured unlike previously
>>>>>>> where query tool used to stick at top and other tabs in the bottom.

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2019 10:06:17 -0400

Hi

> Did you restart the server after applying the patch ?  What shortcut does

Yes, did that, rebuilt the bundle and hard-reloaded the browser, all
multiple times.

The shortcut preferences show the expected keys.

>>>>>>>> - In the frame, you can switch tab same as previous. The tabs in
>>>>>>>> SQL editor are cyclic now, which means if you execute shortcut to go right
>>>>>>>> on the last tab then it will cycle to first tab.

---

From: Aditya Toshniwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2019 17:48:13 +0530

Hi Hackers,

Attached is the updated, rebased patch. I was using the wrong key code for
"[" and "]" while registering, but strangely it was working for me. I have
corrected that.
Plus, I found a bug in Preferences. If a preference name is same in two
different modules, then it was registered only once in SQLiteDB. (eg-
move_previous in Debugger and SQLEditor). Fixed that.

Kindly review.

On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 7:36 PM Dave Page <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>>>> Alt+Shift+Tab changes the panel successfully though, and does cause
>>>>> the flash as expected.
>>>>>

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2019 11:11:02 +0100

Thanks, applied!

On Wed, Jun 5, 2019 at 1:18 PM Aditya Toshniwal <
[email-masked]> wrote:

>>> Did you restart the server after applying the patch ?  What shortcut
>>> does preferences show ?
>>>
>>
>>>>>>>>>> - I have added a new shortcut to switch between frames if in
>>>>>>>>>> query tool the tab positions are changed. On switching the frames, the
>>>>>>>>>> frame will blink to show it is focussed.