Subject: Explain details popover changes proposal

From: Aditya Toshniwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2021 12:36:33 +0530

Hi Hackers,

I'm working on https://redmine.postgresql.org/issues/5488 and as per the
discussion, we'll remove the current tooltip way for showing the details.
Instead, we'll add some popover/panel upon clicking a node which will stay
until closed.
Below is the screenshot of partial implementation.
Please confirm if I can proceed with full implementation.

-- 
Thanks,
Aditya Toshniwal
pgAdmin hacker | Sr. Software Engineer | *edbpostgres.com*
<http://edbpostgres.com>
"Don't Complain about Heat, Plant a TREE"

---

From: Ashesh Vashi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2021 14:06:19 +0530

> Below is the screenshot of partial implementation.
I like the idea of showing details in the pop up.
We also need to think about the details in the SVG file downloaded.

-- Ashesh

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2021 09:13:19 +0000

Hi

> I like the idea of showing details in the pop up.

I agree, though I think the presentation could use some work to make the
table-like layout a little cleaner (maybe alternating row shading or subtle
cell borders or something). Perhaps check with Aradhana or Chethana for
ideas?

> We also need to think about the details in the SVG file downloaded.

We ignore the popups entirely at the moment don't we? It would be good to
render any that are open though.

-- 
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

---

From: Ashesh Vashi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2021 14:46:51 +0530

On Fri, 8 Jan 2021 at 14:43, Dave Page <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>> I'm working on https://redmine.postgresql.org/issues/5488 and as per
>>> the discussion, we'll remove the current tooltip way for showing the
>>> details. Instead, we'll add some popover/panel upon clicking a node
>>> which will stay until closed.

We have put details in the title attribute, hence - it should be visible as
cluttered text on hover. (Assumption - I have not tried).

— Ashesh

--

Thanks & Regards,

Ashesh Vashi
EnterpriseDB INDIA: Enterprise PostgreSQL Company
<http://www.enterprisedb.com>

*http://www.linkedin.com/in/asheshvashi*
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/asheshvashi>

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2021 09:22:49 +0000

On Fri, Jan 8, 2021 at 9:17 AM Ashesh Vashi <[email-masked]>
wrote:

>> On Fri, Jan 8, 2021 at 8:36 AM Ashesh Vashi <
>> [email-masked]> wrote:
>>
> We have put details in the title attribute, hence - it should be visible
> as cluttered text on hover. (Assumption - I have not tried).
>

OK, well it seems reasonable to continue to do that for all nodes. However,
maybe we should also render any popups that are open at time of download -
that way, printing or converting to a raster format will still display
those popups.

---

From: Aditya Toshniwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2021 16:16:09 +0530

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 8, 2021 at 2:53 PM Dave Page <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> Yes.

>>> We ignore the popups entirely at the moment don't we? It would be good
>>> to render any that are open though.
>>>
>>
> OK, well it seems reasonable to continue to do that for all nodes.
> However, maybe we should also render any popups that are open at time of
> download - that way, printing or converting to a raster format will still
> display those popups.
>
With the new changes, the SVG tooltip will be removed completely. The new
pop up is HTML based and floats above the diagram. I mean, if you zoom
in/out the plan, it does not affect the popup.
I'm thinking to append all the tables to the download SVG and add click
events on the nodes which will scroll to that table. This is just a
thought, not sure if it will work. But that would be a separate task.

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2021 11:00:04 +0000

On Fri, Jan 8, 2021 at 10:46 AM Aditya Toshniwal <
[email-masked]> wrote:

>> On Fri, Jan 8, 2021 at 9:17 AM Ashesh Vashi <
>>>> I agree, though I think the presentation could use some work to make
>>>> the table-like layout a little cleaner (maybe alternating row shading or
>>>> subtle cell borders or something). Perhaps check with Aradhana or Chethana
>>>> for ideas?
>>>>
>>> Yes.
>
>>
>>>>

We certainly shouldn't remove functionality that works now, without
replacing it with something at least as good.

I think this is relatively low priority though - can't we just fix the
basic problem, or is that caused by the SVG tooltips, whose location is out
of our control?

---

From: Aditya Toshniwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2021 17:07:28 +0530

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 8, 2021 at 4:30 PM Dave Page <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>>>>>> I'm working on https://redmine.postgresql.org/issues/5488 and as
>>>>>>> per the discussion, we'll remove the current tooltip way for showing the
>>>> We have put details in the title attribute, hence - it should be
>>>> visible as cluttered text on hover. (Assumption - I have not tried).
>>>>
>>>

> basic problem, or is that caused by the SVG tooltips, whose location is out
Currently toolips appear only on hover, and if they are large then there is
no way to see them completely. In the past, there have been attempts to fix
it but still it causes issues. Correcting my previous comment, it's a html
tooltip and not a SVG tooltip.
With the new changes, multiple issues are fixed together - tooltip will not
go out of screen, user can see full details, UX improved.

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2021 15:34:31 +0000

On Fri, Jan 8, 2021 at 11:38 AM Aditya Toshniwal <
[email-masked]> wrote:

>>>>>> We ignore the popups entirely at the moment don't we? It would be
>>>>>> good to render any that are open though.
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>> With the new changes, the SVG tooltip will be removed completely. The
>>> new pop up is HTML based and floats above the diagram. I mean, if you zoom
> Currently toolips appear only on hover, and if they are large then there
> is no way to see them completely. In the past, there have been attempts to
> fix it but still it causes issues. Correcting my previous comment, it's a
> html tooltip and not a SVG tooltip.
> With the new changes, multiple issues are fixed together - tooltip will
> not go out of screen, user can see full details, UX improved.
>

Sure, the main UI would definitely be improved. I just want to make sure we
don't negatively impact the download version.

---

From: Aditya Toshniwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2021 10:54:12 +0530

Hi Dave,

On Fri, Jan 8, 2021 at 9:04 PM Dave Page <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Sure, the main UI would definitely be improved. I just want to make sure
> we don't negatively impact the download version.
>
The download version will be as before. No change.

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2021 09:06:11 +0000

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 5:24 AM Aditya Toshniwal <
[email-masked]> wrote:

>>>>>>>> I agree, though I think the presentation could use some work to
>>>>>>>> make the table-like layout a little cleaner (maybe alternating row shading
>>>>>>>> or subtle cell borders or something). Perhaps check with Aradhana or
>>>>>>>> Chethana for ideas?
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Yes.
>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>> I'm thinking to append all the tables to the download SVG and add
>>>>> click events on the nodes which will scroll to that table. This is just a

OK, that's fine. Thanks.