Subject: Open preferences in new tab

From: Aditya Toshniwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2025 12:32:02 +0530

Hi Hackers,

I am adding a search box to the preferences. I was also thinking of opening
preferences in a tab instead of dialog. Advantages being - less scroll and
more space, consistency with other features like user management, processes.
Below is a rough design. Please let me know your thoughts.

-- 
Thanks,
Aditya Toshniwal
pgAdmin Hacker | Sr. Staff SDE II | *enterprisedb.com*
<https://www.enterprisedb.com/>
"Don't Complain about Heat, Plant a TREE"

---

From: Akshay Joshi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2025 12:49:40 +0530

Hi Aditya,

I like the idea. It looks good to me.

On Thu, May 22, 2025 at 12:33 PM Aditya Toshniwal <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi Hackers,
>
> I am adding a search box to the preferences. I was also thinking of
> opening preferences in a tab instead of dialog. Advantages being - less
> scroll and more space, consistency with other features like user
> management, processes.

---

From: Usman Khan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2025 12:46:25 +0500

Hi Aditya,

This is a useful feature and much needed as well, Can you briefly explain
how the search would work, for example if someone search for a term like
'maximum', will it highlight all matching options in the left panel or
would it jump to the first matched option?

---

From: Aditya Toshniwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2025 15:37:42 +0530

Hi Usman,

I'm not entirely sure how it will work since there can be limitations. But
what I'm trying to do is upon typing for search:
1. Only filtered items will be visible.
2. Left tree will show only those items which have the filtered items.

---

From: Usman Khan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2025 16:15:07 +0500

Okay.

In my opinion, filtering the items only in the left panel would be enough -
the user can browse through  them one by one to find what he wants.

---

From: Aditya Toshniwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2025 17:02:28 +0530

Hi Usman,

On Thu, May 22, 2025 at 4:45 PM Usman Khan <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Okay.
>
> In my opinion, filtering the items only in the left panel would be enough
> - the user can browse through  them one by one to find what he wants.
>

Then there is no point in implementing search. I believe search should work
for labels and help messages.

>> I'm not entirely sure how it will work since there can be limitations.
>> But what I'm trying to do is upon typing for search:
>>> This is a useful feature and much needed as well, Can you briefly
>>> explain how the search would work, for example if someone search for a term
>>> like 'maximum', will it highlight all matching options in the left panel or

---

From: Usman Khan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2025 18:08:58 +0500

On Thu, May 22, 2025 at 4:33 PM Aditya Toshniwal <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> Then there is no point in implementing search. I believe search should
> work for labels and help messages.
>
If a user wants to update multiple fields for a particular option in the
left panel then searching one field and only listing that in the right
panel would not be enough. I think it would need further discussion then
for this implementation, is there any ticket created for this ? Can you
please share it?

> then if a user wants to

---

From: Aditya Toshniwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2025 10:28:58 +0530

Hi Usman,

On Sat, May 24, 2025 at 6:39 PM Usman Khan <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>> In my opinion, filtering the items only in the left panel would be
>>> enough - the user can browse through  them one by one to find what he wants.
>>>
>>

What's the point of searching for the left tree where it is easily
accessible and right in front of you? Search will help on the actual
preferences which are not visible until you click the tree item.
Let me be clear, the tree will not hide. It will show only those items
which contains the filtered preferences similar to PyCharm or VSCode.

then if a user wants to

---

From: Usman Khan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2025 11:38:11 +0500

Hi Aditya,

Let me clarify it with the following example, if a user searches for
'Support screen readers', if this option or text exists in more than one
preferences in the left panel, it should highlight or filtered them(show
them in the left panel) and the right panel should show all the fields for
selected option in the left panel(*In your reply above it gave me
impression you only want to show matching filed/fields in the right panel
and not all*.).

The following pictorial examples from PyCharm is given

   1. Where the searched text is found only in one left panel
   options/preferences
   2. Where the searched text is found in more than one options/preferences
   and now user can browse them to find exact option

---

From: Aditya Toshniwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2025 12:12:14 +0530

Hi Usman,

No we will not highlight, we will only show filtered items like VSCode.

On Mon, May 26, 2025 at 12:08 PM Usman Khan <[email-masked]> wrote:

>    2. Where the searched text is found in more than one
>    options/preferences and now user can browse them to find exact option
>
>
>
>
>
>>>>>> I'm not entirely sure how it will work since there can be
>>>>>> limitations. But what I'm trying to do is upon typing for search: