Subject: [pgAdmin][RM-6143]: Shared server entries not getting deleted.

From: Nikhil Mohite <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2021 12:18:30 +0530

Hi Team,

Please find the attached patch for RM-6143
<https://redmine.postgresql.org/issues/6143>: Shared server entries not
getting deleted.
Added code to delete shared server entries if the admin deletes the user
from user management.

-- 
*Thanks & Regards,*
*Nikhil Mohite*
*Software Engineer.*
*EDB Postgres* <https://www.enterprisedb.com/>
*Mob.No: +91-7798364578.*

---

From: Akshay Joshi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2021 14:52:57 +0530

Thanks, patch applied.

-- 
*Thanks & Regards*
*Akshay Joshi*
*pgAdmin Hacker | Principal Software Architect*
*EDB Postgres <http://edbpostgres.com>*

*Mobile: +91 976-788-8246*

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2021 09:43:13 +0000

This seems like a very bad idea. What if the user that has left was the
user that setup 50 connections used by everyone else?

Deleting those shared entries is (I would guess) most likely *not* what the
majority of users would want, and the current behaviour is definitely
safest.

We should make this optional; i.e. ask the use if they want shared servers
created by the user to be deleted. If they say no, they should be
reassigned to another user; either the admin that's deleting the user, or
their choice of user (a little more complex of course, but more flexible).

Please revert this, until the deletion is made optional.

-- 
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

---

From: Akshay Joshi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2021 15:24:18 +0530

Reverted the commit.

On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 3:13 PM Dave Page <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Deleting those shared entries is (I would guess) most likely *not* what
> the majority of users would want, and the current behaviour is definitely
> safest.
>
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 9:23 AM Akshay Joshi <
> [email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks, patch applied.
>>

---

From: Nikhil Mohite <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2021 16:03:11 +0530

Hi Dave,

On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 3:24 PM Akshay Joshi <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> In the current implementation when the admin user gets deleted all "*Server
groups*" created by that user are getting deleted, so if that admin has
created any *Shared server* other users are not able to access it as its
server group is not present in the database.

>
>> We should make this optional; i.e. ask the use if they want shared
>> servers created by the user to be deleted. If they say no, they should be
> In the shared server table, we are creating entries per user, for deletion
of non-admin user we can delete the shared server tables entries as it will
not affect any other users. (because only admin users can mark the server
as shared.)
In case of admin user deletion, will add an extra check as suggested.

>>>> <https://redmine.postgresql.org/issues/6143>: Shared server entries
>>>> not getting deleted.
>>>> Added code to delete shared server entries if the admin deletes the
>>>> user from user management.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> *Thanks & Regards,*
>>>> *Nikhil Mohite*
>>>> *Software Engineer.*

Regards,
Nikhil Mohite.

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2021 10:36:54 +0000

Hi

On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 10:33 AM Nikhil Mohite <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 3:24 PM Akshay Joshi <

That seems bad. I would suggest we only delete the group if there are no
shared servers left in it that would become orphaned. Of course, in that
case we'll also need to reassign ownership of the group.

>> In the shared server table, we are creating entries per user, for
> deletion of non-admin user we can delete the shared server tables entries
> as it will not affect any other users. (because only admin users can mark
> the server as shared.)

Sounds good - thanks!

---

From: Nikhil Mohite <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2021 13:21:38 +0530

Hi Dave/ Team,

As per the suggestions I have created a sample UI for change ownership of
shared servers before deleting the user(only for admin user).
The user list will contain all admin users. (This alert will get display if
the admin user has created any shared servers.)

Any suggestions or if I missed anything please let me know.

Regards,
Nikhil Mohite

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2021 09:22:12 +0000

Hi

On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 7:51 AM Nikhil Mohite <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> The user list will contain all admin users. (This alert will get display
> if the admin user has created any shared servers.)
>

The UI is fine, but the wording needs work. A couple of general hints: An
entire sense would never be in parentheses, and there should always be a
space following a full stop.

"Select the user that will take ownership of the shared servers created by
<user name>. <num servers> shared servers are currently owned by this user."

"Note: If no user is selected, the shared servers will be deleted."

I'd also suggest that if the user does not select a new owner, a message
box should ask for confirmation before continuing:

"The shared servers owned by <user name> will be deleted. Do you wish to
continue?".

>>>>> This seems like a very bad idea. What if the user that has left was
>>>>> the user that setup 50 connections used by everyone else?
>>>>>
>>>>> Deleting those shared entries is (I would guess) most likely *not*
>>>>> what the majority of users would want, and the current behaviour is
>>>>> definitely safest.
>>>>>
>>> created any *Shared server* other users are not able to access it as
>>> its server group is not present in the database.
>>>
>>

---

From: Nikhil Mohite <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2021 14:21:40 +0530

Hi Team,

Please find the updated patch for RM-6143.

Regards,
Nikhil Mohite.

On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 2:52 PM Dave Page <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 7:51 AM Nikhil Mohite <
>>>> groups*" created by that user are getting deleted, so if that admin
>>>> has created any *Shared server* other users are not able to access it
>>>> as its server group is not present in the database.
>>>>
>>>
>>>>>>>> <https://redmine.postgresql.org/issues/6143>: Shared server
>>>>>>>> entries not getting deleted.

---

From: Akshay Joshi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2021 11:33:48 +0530

Thanks, patch applied.

On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 2:22 PM Nikhil Mohite <[email-masked]>
wrote:

>>> As per the suggestions I have created a sample UI for change ownership
>>> of shared servers before deleting the user(only for admin user).
>> "Select the user that will take ownership of the shared servers created
>> by <user name>. <num servers> shared servers are currently owned by this
>> user."
>>
>>>> That seems bad. I would suggest we only delete the group if there are
>>>> no shared servers left in it that would become orphaned. Of course, in that
>>>>>>>>> Added code to delete shared server entries if the admin deletes
>>>>>>>>> the user from user management.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> --
>>>>>>>>> *Thanks & Regards,*
>>>>>>>>> *Nikhil Mohite*
>>>>>>>>> *Software Engineer.*

---

From: Nikhil Mohite <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2021 12:51:30 +0530

Hi Akshay/ Team,

Please find an attached updated patch for RM-6143, Added missing updated
shared server owner name in the *"sharedserver"* table while the user
changing the ownership of the shared server.

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 11:34 AM Akshay Joshi <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Thanks, patch applied.
>
> On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 2:22 PM Nikhil Mohite <
>>>> The user list will contain all admin users. (This alert will get
>>>> display if the admin user has created any shared servers.)
>>>>
>>>
>>> The UI is fine, but the wording needs work. A couple of general hints:
>>> An entire sense would never be in parentheses, and there should always be a
>>>>>> has created any *Shared server* other users are not able to access
>>>>>> it as its server group is not present in the database.
>>>>>>
>>>>>

---

From: Akshay Joshi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2021 15:02:02 +0530

Thanks, patch applied.

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 12:51 PM Nikhil Mohite <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 11:34 AM Akshay Joshi <
>>>> I'd also suggest that if the user does not select a new owner, a
>>>> message box should ask for confirmation before continuing:
>>>>
>>>> "The shared servers owned by <user name> will be deleted. Do you wish
>>>> to continue?".
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> This seems like a very bad idea. What if the user that has left
>>>>>>>>> was the user that setup 50 connections used by everyone else?
>>>>>>>>>