Subject: Unable to access local server

From: B A <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2025 22:15:52 -0400

Hi,

I tried downloading and for host I put "local" (without quotes) and it
gives this error:
Unable to connect to server: [Errno 11001] getaddrinfo failed

So I cannot use pgadmin on Windows PC.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Bob

---

From: Ray O'Donnell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2025 09:46:03 +0000

You want either "localhost" or 127.0.0.1 as the host.

Ray.

On 9 June 2025 09:55:19 B A <[email-masked]> wrote:
> gives this error:Unable to connect to server: [Errno 11001] getaddrinfo failed
>
>

---

From: B A <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2025 15:57:27 -0400

Hi,

Thanks but now it's giving me the following error:
Unable to connect to server: connection failed: connection to server at
"127.0.0.1", port 5432 failed: fe_sendauth: no password supplied

However, when I installed pgadmin4, it never asked me to set up a password,
so how can I proceed?

Please advise.

---

From: Ray O'Donnell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2025 20:08:19 +0000

On 09/06/2025 20:57, B A wrote:
> Unable to connect to server: connection failed: connection to server 
> at "127.0.0.1", port 5432 failed: fe_sendauth: no password supplied
>
> However, when I installed pgadmin4, it never asked me to set up a 
> password, so how can I proceed?

Hi there,

This is a password for PostgreSQL - or at least, the user under which 
you're connecting to the PostgreSQL server. When you're first adding the 
server to pgAdmin, there's an option to specify the password (assuming 
you're using password authentication, and not another mechanism - you 
specify that at initial-connection time too).

For a server that's already listed in the tree view in pgAdmin, you can 
have it forget whatever password you may already have entered and saved 
- right-click on the server in the tree-view, and if pgAdmin has saved a 
password then there'll be a option, "Clear saved password". Click this, 
and then you can re-enter the password on next connection.

HTH,

Ray.

>>     I tried downloading and for host I put "local" (without quotes)
>>     and it gives this error:

-- 
Raymond O'Donnell // Galway // Ireland
[email-masked]