Subject: Logs on Dashboard not showing

From: Holger Jakobs <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2025 12:18:15 +0100

Dear supporters,

First I'd like to mention that it is very difficult to find the address 
of this mailing list. It should be mentioned on the page 
https://www.pgadmin.org/support/list/ - but it isn't.

My current problem is that when I click Dashboard, tab Logs, there is 
only an error message saying:

     Please enable the logging to view the server logs or check the log 
file is in place or not.

Unfortunately, there is not hint in the FAQs regarding how to make the 
server logs visible here. And the message gives no information where 
pgAdmin4 has tried to find the log and why it couldn't access it.

I am using Ubuntu 24.04, PostgreSQL 16.6 and 17.2 and pgAdmin4 8.14.

Please help and improve the messages.

Kind Regards,

Holger

-- 

Holger Jakobs, Bergisch Gladbach

---

From: Khushboo Vashi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2025 17:09:06 +0530

Hi,

> pgAdmin4 has tried to find the log and why it couldn't access it.

The feature is about Postgres Server logs, not the pgAdmin logs.
To enable server logs, please refer:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/runtime-config-logging.html