Subject: Pgbouncer, docker and systemd

From: Kristjan Mustkivi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 16:01:07 +0300

Dear all,

Iam curious if anyone has tried to marry dockerized pgbouncer and systemd?

Why? To get my own most up to date pgbouncer version independent of
the OS provided package and coupled with systemd's offered port reuse
and separate management ports.

I happened to read

* https://www.2ndquadrant.com/en/blog/running-multiple-pgbouncer-instances-with-systemd/
* https://www.enterprisedb.com/postgres-tutorials/pgbouncer-setup-extended-architecture-use-cases-and-leveraging-soreuseport

The main problem has been that the sd_notify call will not get out
from the container and the host's systemctl start is left hanging
until a timeout occurs. And I have compiled my own pgbouncer
--with-systemd flag so it is probably a docker container feature.

Cheers,
-- 
Kristjan Mustkivi

Email: [email-masked]

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 16:08:21 +0200

> --with-systemd flag so it is probably a docker container feature.

I think for your what you are trying to set up here, docker and systemd 
are competing approaches for launching services and they will fight or 
hinder each other.

If all you want is an up to date pgbouncer package, perhaps you will 
find what you need on apt.postgresql.org or yum.postgresql.org.

---

From: Kristjan Mustkivi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 09:04:35 +0300

> find what you need on apt.postgresql.org or yum.postgresql.org.

Makes sense. Of course, there's a bit more: the environment where the
pgbouncer would be installed hosts different services packaged by many
teams and the standard for packaging is docker.

I will figure out a different approach. Thank you for the comments!

Best regards,
-- 
Kristjan Mustkivi