Subject: PostgreSQL Package conflicts on Fedora 40

From: Sbob <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2024 10:52:19 -0600

Hi all;

I recently did a clean install of Fedora 40 on a new laptop. Then I 
installed PostgreSQL like this:

In the download form at:
https://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/redhat/

I selected PostgreSQL 16 and the Platform as Fedora 40

As root I ran this:

dnf install -y 
https://download.postgresql.org/pub/repos/yum/reporpms/F-40-x86_64/pgdg-fedora-repo-latest.noarch.rpm

Then I ran these install commands ( I want multiple versions - as a 
PostgreSQL consultant I need to test scripts and code on the version my 
clients are running):

dnf install -y  postgresql12   postgresql12-server postgresql12-contrib

dnf install -y  postgresql13   postgresql13-server postgresql13-contrib

dnf install -y  postgresql14   postgresql14-server postgresql14-contrib

dnf install -y  postgresql15   postgresql15-server postgresql15-contrib

dnf install -y  postgresql16   postgresql16-server postgresql16-contrib

Now when I run dnf update as root I get these conflict errors, any help 
would be greatly appreciated.

  Problem 1: package postgresql15-15.8-1.fc40.x86_64 from updates 
conflicts with postgresql provided by 
postgresql12-12.20-2PGDG.f40.x86_64 from @System
   - cannot install the best update candidate for package 
postgresql15-15.8-1PGDG.f40.x86_64
   - cannot install the best update candidate for package 
postgresql12-12.20-2PGDG.f40.x86_64
  Problem 2: package postgresql15-contrib-15.8-1.fc40.x86_64 from 
updates conflicts with postgresql-contrib provided by 
postgresql12-contrib-12.20-2PGDG.f40.x86_64 from @System
   - cannot install the best update candidate for package 
postgresql15-contrib-15.8-1PGDG.f40.x86_64
   - cannot install the best update candidate for package 
postgresql12-contrib-12.20-2PGDG.f40.x86_64
  Problem 3: package postgresql15-server-15.8-1.fc40.x86_64 from updates 
conflicts with postgresql-server provided by 
postgresql12-server-12.20-2PGDG.f40.x86_64 from @System
   - cannot install the best update candidate for package 
postgresql15-server-15.8-1PGDG.f40.x86_64
   - cannot install the best update candidate for package 
postgresql12-server-12.20-2PGDG.f40.x86_64

Thanks in advance

---

From: Laurenz Albe <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2024 19:13:53 +0200

> postgresql12-server-12.20-2PGDG.f40.x86_64

This is not a performance question and should go to the pgsql-pkg-yum list.

It seems like your system is trying to install updates for the PostgreSQL
packages by Fedora rather than the PGDG packages.
I would remove all Fedora PostgreSQL packages.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe