Subject: Connection exceeded alert.

From: Rajesh Kumar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2024 10:02:14 +0530

Hi all,

I have been trying to find a steps or solution for past 1 year once we
received a connection exceeded alert. Couldn't get any answer from anybody
or internet so far.

Today I checked a pgbadger report and  matched the timeline and found that,
at that time of sudden connection hike (not normal), there were 3 queries
running at that time (2 update queries on table a , took 5s each, one
insert query on table b which took 2.5mns).

Anybody provide me steps what all I have to do 1. At that time of
connection hike 2. If I am been asked to check after sometime as connection
dropped to analyse.

---

From: Muhammad Waqas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2024 10:43:06 +0500

Please check  maximum connection / Session parameter in postgreSQL.conf
file and you can increase maximum session/connection.

Please also check locking on database.

2024년 8월 6일 (화) 오전 9:32, Rajesh Kumar <[email-masked]>님이 작성:

> Today I checked a pgbadger report and  matched the timeline and found
> that, at that time of sudden connection hike (not normal), there were 3
> queries running at that time (2 update queries on table a , took 5s each,
> one insert query on table b which took 2.5mns).
>

-- 
*Muhammad Waqas*
*Senior Technical Support Engineer - Tech Support Center (Karachi)*
Mobile: +92-322-2844150
Email:  [email-masked] <[email-masked]>*
1st floor, suit no F-04, COLABS Karachi, 8-C Khayaban-e-Tanzeem,
DHA Phase 5 Tauheed Commercial Area,
Defense V Defense Housing Authority, Karachi, Karachi City, Sindh,
75500 Pakistan.

---

From: khan Affan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2024 11:21:42 +0500

Hi Rajesh,

To effectively troubleshoot this issue, please share your current
PostgreSQL configuration values for shared_buffers, work_mem, and
maintenance_work_mem.

Additionally, please provide details about the application generating these
queries. Are they triggered by POST or GET requests?

To gain deeper insights into query performance, execute the following
commands:

EXPLAIN (ANALYZE, BUFFERS) <your_query>;

SELECT pid, usename, query, state, wait_event_type, wait_event
FROM pg_stat_activity
WHERE wait_event IS NOT NULL;
These commands will help identify performance bottlenecks and resource
contention.