Subject: OS upgrade vs Postgresql

From: Raj <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2025 15:14:49 +0530

Hi team,

Our set up is Site1(primary - rhel 9.6,  postgres 17.6 in a patroni set up+
pgbackrest 2.6v   & sync replica -  - rhel 9.6,  postgres 17.6 in a patroni
set up+ pgbackrest 2.6v) and in site2(async standby - - rhel 9.6,  postgres
17.6 in a patroni set up+ pgbackrest 2.6v)

We have OS upgrade from rhel 9.6 to 9.7 for two nodes in Site1. We can see
postgres and pgbackrest has automatically upgraded to 17.7 and 2.57
respectively.

Whereas db node in site3 is no upgraded and stays with 9.6, 17.6 and 2.56
for rhel , postgres and pgbackrest version respectively.this will be
upgraded tomorrow

Is this a problem( we intend to upgrade only OS and not postgres) ? Is this
problem or is it best way or is it a normal behaviour that can or should be
avoided?
What wrong we are doing?
What is the right approach?
Any blogs is appreciated

---

From: Fabrice Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2025 12:15:06 +0100

Hi,
IMO the best thing to do is to check the release notes for PG 17.7 and
pgbackrest 2.57.
Generally speaking, there are no compatibility issues between minor
versions of Postgres.
Regards,
Fabrice

On Mon, Dec 22, 2025 at 10:45 AM Raj <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi team,
>
> Our set up is Site1(primary - rhel 9.6,  postgres 17.6 in a patroni set
> up+ pgbackrest 2.6v   & sync replica -  - rhel 9.6,  postgres 17.6 in a
> patroni set up+ pgbackrest 2.6v) and in site2(async standby - - rhel 9.6,
> postgres 17.6 in a patroni set up+ pgbackrest 2.6v)
>
> Is this a problem( we intend to upgrade only OS and not postgres) ? Is
> this problem or is it best way or is it a normal behaviour that can or
> should be avoided?
> What wrong we are doing?

---

From: Raj <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2025 16:57:39 +0530

Thanks Anton.

@fabrice. We had compatibility checks already before upgrade...but in a
patroni cluster, what's the best approach a dba should recommended.

1. Dont upgrade pgbackrest or postgres and exclude when performing os
upgrade?
2. Start upgrading DR first and then upgrade primary?
Etc ....

On Mon, 22 Dec 2025, 16:45 Fabrice Chapuis, <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> We have OS upgrade from rhel 9.6 to 9.7 for two nodes in Site1. We can
>> see postgres and pgbackrest has automatically upgraded to 17.7 and 2.57
>> respectively.
>>

---

From: Fabrice Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2025 12:44:23 +0100

If it's a minor upgrade of the OS and Postgres, I perform the update in the
same time for all packages, starting with standby on a pre-production
environment.

On Mon, Dec 22, 2025 at 12:27 PM Raj <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>> Whereas db node in site3 is no upgraded and stays with 9.6, 17.6 and
>>> 2.56 for rhel , postgres and pgbackrest version respectively.this will be
>>> upgraded tomorrow
>>>