Subject: How To Configure PostgreSQL to Use LDAP for Authentication

From: Henry Ashu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2024 06:15:31 -0800

Hi,

Please, I need help with how to configure postgresql to use LDAP for
Authentication.

*Here is what I have tried;*

host all all 0.0.0.0/0 ldap ldapserver=ldap://adserver.domain.com
ldapport=389 ldapprefix="DOMAIN\" ldapsuffix="" ldapbinddn=
[email-masked] ldapbindpasswd=mypassword

host    all             all             0.0.0.0/0         ldap
 ldapurl="ldaps://adserver.domain.com:636" ldapbasedn="OU=Users,OU=England
053,OU=Commercial Services,DC=domain,DC=com" ldapbinddn="
[email-masked]" ldapbindpasswd="mypassword"
ldapsearchattribute="OU=Users,OU=England 053,OU=Commercial
Services,DC=domain,DC=com"

host    all             all             0.0.0.0/0         ldap
ldapserver="adserver.domain.com"     ldapport=636     ldapscheme="ldaps"
  ldapbasedn="OU=Users,OU=England 053,OU=Commercial
Services,DC=domain,DC=com"     ldapbinddn="OU=Users,OU=England
053,OU=Commercial Services,DC=domain,DC=com"
ldapbindpasswd="mypassword"     ldapsearchattribute="adservice-account"

*And this is the error I'm getting;*

[postgres@myserver ~]$ psql -U myuser mydatabase
psql: error: connection to server on socket "/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"
failed: FATAL:  no pg_hba.conf entry for host "[local]", user "myuser",
database "mydatabase", no encryption
[postgres@myserver ~]$ psql -U "MYDOMAIN\myuser" mydatabase
psql: error: connection to server on socket "/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"
failed: FATAL:  no pg_hba.conf entry for host "[local]", user
"MYDOMAIN\myuser", database "mydatabase", no encryption

Thank you

*Henry Ashu*

Database Administrator
*o:* 503.672.5114 | *f:* 800.551.8821 | DAT.com
 <https://www.dat.com/>    [image: Like us on
Facebook] <https://www.facebook.com/loadboards>  [image: Follow us on
Twitter] <https://twitter.com/loadboards>  [image: Connect with us on
LinkedIn] <https://www.linkedin.com/company/datsolutions>  [image: Visit
our YouTube Channel] <https://www.youtube.com/datloadboards>  [image: Visit
us on Instagram] <https://instagram.com/dat_solutions>

---

From: Achilleas Mantzios - cloud <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2024 10:32:54 +0200

On 12/6/24 16:15, Henry Ashu wrote:
> *
> *
> host all all 0.0.0.0/0 <http://0.0.0.0/0> ldap 
> ldapserver=ldap://adserver.domain.com <http://adserver.domain.com> 
> ldapport=389 ldapprefix="DOMAIN\" ldapsuffix="" 
> ldapbinddn=[email-masked] ldapbindpasswd=mypassword
>
>
> host    all             all 0.0.0.0/0 <http://0.0.0.0/0>         ldap 
>        ldapurl="ldaps://adserver.domain.com:636 
> <http://adserver.domain.com:636>" ldapbasedn="OU=Users,OU=England 
> ldapbinddn="[email-masked]" ldapbindpasswd="mypassword" 
> host    all             all 0.0.0.0/0 <http://0.0.0.0/0>         ldap 
>         ldapserver="adserver.domain.com <http://adserver.domain.com>" 
>     ldapport=636     ldapscheme="ldaps" 
> *
> *
> psql: error: connection to server on socket 
> "/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432" failed: FATAL:  no pg_hba.conf entry 
> for host "[local]", user "myuser", database "mydatabase", no encryption
> psql: error: connection to server on socket 
> "/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432" failed: FATAL:  no pg_hba.conf entry 
> for host "[local]", user "MYDOMAIN\myuser", database "mydatabase", no 
> encryption
Fix your pg_hba.conf, LDAP is the least of your problems.
> DAT Solutions <https://www.dat.com/> Like us on Facebook 
> <https://www.facebook.com/loadboards> Follow us on Twitter 
> <https://twitter.com/loadboards> Connect with us on LinkedIn 
> <https://www.linkedin.com/company/datsolutions> Visit our YouTube 
> Channel <https://www.youtube.com/datloadboards> Visit us on Instagram 
> <https://instagram.com/dat_solutions>

---

From: Sam Stearns <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2024 07:08:31 -0800

Yes, we got this working by formatting the pg_hba.conf entry correctly.
Thanks!

On Fri, Dec 20, 2024 at 12:33 AM Achilleas Mantzios - cloud <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> On 12/6/24 16: 15, Henry Ashu wrote: Hi, Please, I need help with how to
> configure postgresql to use LDAP for Authentication.   Here is what I have
> tried; host all all 0. 0. 0. 0/0 ldap ldapserver=ldap: //adserver. domain.
> com ldapport=389 ldapprefix="DOMAIN\"
> ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerStart
> This Message Is From an Untrusted Sender
> You have not previously corresponded with this sender.
>
> ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerEnd
>
>
>  ldapurl="ldaps://adserver.domain.com:636"
> Services,DC=domain,DC=com" ldapbinddn="[email-masked]"
> ldapbindpasswd="mypassword" ldapsearchattribute="OU=Users,OU=England
> "/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432" failed: FATAL:  no pg_hba.conf entry for
> host "[local]", user "myuser", database "mydatabase", no encryption
> "/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432" failed: FATAL:  no pg_hba.conf entry for
> host "[local]", user "MYDOMAIN\myuser", database "mydatabase", no encryption
>
> our YouTube Channel] <https://www.youtube.com/datloadboards>  [image:
> Visit us on Instagram] <https://instagram.com/dat_solutions>
>
>

-- 

*Samuel Stearns*
Lead Database Administrator
*c:* 971 762 6879 | *o:* 503 672 5115 | DAT.com
<https://www.dat.com/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=DAT_email_signature_link>