Subject: Barman was hung after a Transport endpoint error

From: Sri Mrudula Attili <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2025 14:29:34 +0000

Hello Team,

  This is regarding our Barman backup host, which seems like hung for 5 
days with no backup, streaming, cron etc happening.

  We have checkmk monitoring that notifies us if any one of the 
parameters of Barman check fail, but we havent hot any events from 
checkmk as barman check was showing all OK and no FAILED.

What do you explain this situation in Barman.

*To provide further details about the issue:*

  * We user Data Domain as barman backup home for storage.
  * On 5th November data domain endpoints is not connect but the mount
    was still up on the host. We still dont know from the data domain
    side what caused this issue.
  * Barman log has errors*: [2800226] barman.cli ERROR: [Errno 107]
    Transport endpoint is not connected:
    '/nfs/DDbackup/pgsql-****-****/.active-model.auto'*
  * If the end point was missing barman should fail completely and the
    checks should fail as well, Which in turn would have helped us to
    identify the issue immediately.
  * The only way we figured out that there was an issue, on November
    11th one of barman backup maximum age parameter failed saying that
    weeks backup dint happen.
  * Upon checking why the backups failed etc, I went to barman logs and
    found out that all this time until the endpoint issue resolved
    barman was not doing the barman checks or barman check was hung at a
    state

*Below are the configuration details:*

  * Barman version : 3.10.0 Barman by EnterpriseDB (www.enterprisedb.com)
  * Postgresql version: (PostgreSQL) 16.9
  * Number of hosts configured: 26
  * Red Hat Enterprise Linux release 8.10

Thanks,

Sri

---

From: Ron Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2025 12:15:59 -0500

On Thu, Nov 20, 2025 at 9:29 AM Sri Mrudula Attili <[email-masked]> wrote:

>  We have checkmk monitoring that notifies us if any one of the parameters
> of Barman check fail, but we havent hot any events from checkmk as barman
> check was showing all OK and no FAILED.
>
>    - We user Data Domain as barman backup home for storage.
>    - On 5th November data domain endpoints is not connect but the mount
>    was still up on the host. We still dont know from the data domain side what
>    caused this issue.
>    - Barman log has errors* : [2800226] barman.cli ERROR: [Errno 107]
>    - If the end point was missing barman should fail completely and the
>    checks should fail as well, Which in turn would have helped us to identify
>    the issue immediately.
>    - The only way we figured out that there was an issue, on November
>    11th one of barman backup maximum age parameter failed saying that weeks
>    backup dint happen.
>    - Upon checking why the backups failed etc, I went to barman logs and
>    found out that all this time until the endpoint issue resolved barman was
>    not doing the barman checks or barman check was hung at a state
>
>    - Barman version : 3.10.0 Barman by EnterpriseDB (www.enterprisedb.com)
>    - Postgresql version: (PostgreSQL) 16.9
>    - Number of hosts configured: 26
>    - Red Hat Enterprise Linux release 8.10
>
>
Is NFS hung?

-- 
Death to <Redacted>, and butter sauce.
Don't boil me, I'm still alive.
<Redacted> lobster!