Subject: Patching Postgres from 15.5 to 15.8

From: Pär Mattsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2024 09:55:51 +0200

Hi!
I have this packages on the server.

[root@vidi-db02 pama]# dnf list installed | grep postgres
postgresql15.x86_64                           15.5-1PGDG.rhel8
            @pgdg15
postgresql15-libs.x86_64                      15.5-1PGDG.rhel8
            @pgdg15
postgresql15-server.x86_64                    15.5-1PGDG.rhel8
            @pgdg15

Is is okay to download
postgresql15-server-15.8-1PGDG.rhel8.x86_64.rpm
postgresql15-libs-15.8-1PGDG.rhel8.x86_64.rpm
postgresql15-15.8-1PGDG.rhel8.x86_64.rpm

And apply them manually?
BR Pär

---

From: Asad Ali <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2024 13:27:57 +0500

Hi Pär,

Yes, it is okay to download and apply the packages you mentioned manually.
However, I recommend that you first take a backup of your existing
PostgreSQL data before proceeding.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,

Asad Ali

---

From: Ron Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2024 08:38:36 -0400

> postgresql15-15.8-1PGDG.rhel8.x86_64.rpm

Sure.  Why not?

(Our Linux servers are firewalled from the Internet, and *They* won't open
ports 80 and 443 just for me.  Thus, every three months I manually download
a bunch of RPM files from https://download.postgresql.org/pub/repos then do
the OneDrive+scp dance to get them to the servers.  "sudo yum install
PgXX.YY_RHEL8/*rpm" works just perfectly.  I've been doing it that way for
years.

A PowerShell script downloads the relevant packages so I don't have to do a
lot of manual clicking and saving.)

-- 
Death to America, and butter sauce.
Iraq lobster!

---

From: Ron Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2024 08:41:27 -0400

> PostgreSQL data before proceeding.

1. OP should be backing up anyway.
2. PgBackRest (and probably others, like barman, wal-e, etc) does
"continual backups".

Thus, no need to take a pre-update backup.