Subject: Containerizing PostgreSQL

From: Cainzos Yvan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2024 06:01:46 +0000

Dear All,

What is your experience with containerizing PostgreSQL, particularly on OpenShift?
I am looking to identify the advantages and disadvantages of this type of architecture, mainly from an operational standpoint.
I am interested in preferred use cases and those to be avoided.
Thank you for sharing your experience.

Best regards.
Yvan Cainzos

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2024 21:34:20 -0400

On Mon, Jul 22, 2024 at 06:01:46AM +0000, Cainzos Yvan wrote:
> I am looking to identify the advantages and disadvantages of this type of
> architecture, mainly from an operational standpoint.
> 

This presentation might be helpful, and its videos:

	https://momjian.us/main/presentations/administration.html#cloud

-- 
  Bruce Momjian  <[email-masked]>        https://momjian.us
  EDB                                      https://enterprisedb.com

  Only you can decide what is important to you.

---

From: Ron Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2024 22:45:46 -0400

>         https://momjian.us/main/presentations/administration.html#cloud
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKJBpcoRAsc#t=1h26m46s

The important bits start here, I think.

Distilled:
1. Do you have an existing VM infrastructure, like VMware?
2a. Do you *frequently* create new PG instances?
2b. Do you have *hundreds* of PG instances?

For me, the answers are "yes" and "no,no".

I've got a "design document" and common config files in a shared
directory.  Need a new PG server?  I give a standard list of mount points
and port numbers to the VM build team, and they come back with a server
that has RHEL installed, and ports open.  "yum install" a set of RPMs from
PGDG.  Five minutes later, I sudo to postgres, cp config file templates and
run some sed commands.  Up comes PG!

Patching happens every three months; yum and bash scripts which I've
developed over time make that pretty darned fast and painless.

Thus, PG containers are of no use *to us*.  Lots of application containers,
but that's outside my domain.

-- 
Death to America, and butter sauce.
Iraq lobster!