Subject: Lot of postmaster processes

From: kaido vaikla <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2024 20:41:50 +0200

Hi,

Output below is output of command

$top -c -u postgres

Can somebody tell me why there is so many postmaster running.
O/S: Rocky Linux release 9.4
pg rel:  15.10

    PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU  %MEM     TIME+
COMMAND
2837351 postgres  20   0    6408    256    256 D   9.8   0.0   0:02.02 free
-h
2837291 postgres  20   0  235300   1536    512 R   2.5   0.0   0:03.34 top
-c -u postgres
2837352 postgres  20   0 1257200   2004    128 R   0.8   0.1   0:00.16
/usr/pgsql-15/bin/postmaster -D /pgdata/pgsql/15/data/
2836988 postgres  20   0 1261488  15708  12168 R   0.2   0.4   0:01.01
postgres: elvnetfix_instance: elvnetfixadmin elvnetfix x.x.x.x(8497) idle
2836990 postgres  20   0 1261612  14556  11144 R   0.2   0.4   0:01.03
postgres: elvnetfix_instance: elvnetfixadmin elvnetfix x.x.x.x(12454) BEGIN
2837353 postgres  20   0 1257200   1876      0 R   0.2   0.1   0:00.05
/usr/pgsql-15/bin/postmaster -D /pgdata/pgsql/15/data/
2837356 postgres  20   0 1257200   2004    128 R   0.2   0.1   0:00.05
/usr/pgsql-15/bin/postmaster -D /pgdata/pgsql/15/data/
2837357 postgres  20   0 1257200   1876      0 R   0.2   0.1   0:00.05
/usr/pgsql-15/bin/postmaster -D /pgdata/pgsql/15/data/
2837358 postgres  20   0 1257200   1876      0 R   0.2   0.1   0:00.05
/usr/pgsql-15/bin/postmaster -D /pgdata/pgsql/15/data/
2837359 postgres  20   0 1257200   1876      0 D   0.2   0.1   0:00.05
/usr/pgsql-15/bin/postmaster -D /pgdata/pgsql/15/data/
2837361 postgres  20   0 1257200   2004    128 D   0.2   0.1   0:00.05
/usr/pgsql-15/bin/postmaster -D /pgdata/pgsql/15/data/
2837366 postgres  20   0 1257200   1876      0 R   0.2   0.1   0:00.05
/usr/pgsql-15/bin/postmaster -D /pgdata/pgsql/15/data/
2837367 postgres  20   0 1257200   2004    128 D   0.2   0.1   0:00.05
/usr/pgsql-15/bin/postmaster -D /pgdata/pgsql/15/data/
2837368 postgres  20   0 1257200   1876      0 R   0.2   0.1   0:00.05
/usr/pgsql-15/bin/postmaster -D /pgdata/pgsql/15/data/
2836973 postgres  20   0 1257200  43904  41984 R   0.2   1.2   0:01.24
/usr/pgsql-15/bin/postmaster -D /pgdata/pgsql/15/data/
2836976 postgres  20   0 1257340  10204   8328 R   0.2   0.3   0:00.24
postgres: elvnetfix_instance: background writer
2836983 postgres  20   0 1261148   9052   6024 R   0.2   0.2   0:00.29
postgres: elvnetfix_instance: TimescaleDB Background Worker Scheduler
2837084 postgres  20   0 1277008  82580  64392 R   0.2   2.2   0:18.62
postgres: elvnetfix_instance: postgres elvnetfix [local] ANALYZE
2837303 postgres  20   0 2111732 855128  62600 D   0.2  23.0   0:31.68
postgres: elvnetfix_instance: parallel worker for PID 2837299
2837346 postgres  20   0 1257200   2004    128 R   0.2   0.1   0:00.61
/usr/pgsql-15/bin/postmaster -D /pgdata/pgsql/15/data/
2837354 postgres  20   0 1257200   1876      0 D   0.2   0.1   0:00.04
/usr/pgsql-15/bin/postmaster -D /pgdata/pgsql/15/data/
2837355 postgres  20   0 1257200   1876      0 R   0.2   0.1   0:00.04
/usr/pgsql-15/bin/postmaster -D /pgdata/pgsql/15/data/
2837360 postgres  20   0 1257200   1876      0 D   0.2   0.1   0:00.04
/usr/pgsql-15/bin/postmaster -D /pgdata/pgsql/15/data/
2837362 postgres  20   0 1257200   1876      0 R   0.2   0.1   0:00.04
/usr/pgsql-15/bin/postmaster -D /pgdata/pgsql/15/data/
2837363 postgres  20   0 1257200   2004    128 R   0.2   0.1   0:00.04
/usr/pgsql-15/bin/postmaster -D /pgdata/pgsql/15/data/
2837364 postgres  20   0 1257200   2004    128 R   0.2   0.1   0:00.04
/usr/pgsql-15/bin/postmaster -D /pgdata/pgsql/15/data/
2837365 postgres  20   0 1257200   2004    128 R   0.2   0.1   0:00.04
/usr/pgsql-15/bin/postmaster -D /pgdata/pgsql/15/data/
2836979 postgres  20   0 1257340  18524  16648 R   0.1   0.5   0:00.74
postgres: elvnetfix_instance: walwriter
2836980 postgres  20   0 1258796   3292   1160 R   0.1   0.1   0:00.16
postgres: elvnetfix_instance: autovacuum launcher
2836985 postgres  20   0 1261300  10204   7176 R   0.1   0.3   0:01.48
postgres: elvnetfix_instance: elvnetfixadmin elvnetfix x.x.x.x(32449) PARSE
2836986 postgres  20   0 1261544  14300  10888 D   0.1   0.4   0:00.98
postgres: elvnetfix_instance: elvnetfixadmin elvnetfix x.x.x.x(23326) idle
2836987 postgres  20   0 1261612  14428  10888 R   0.1   0.4   0:00.94
postgres: elvnetfix_instance: elvnetfixadmin elvnetfix x.x.x.x(64612) BEGIN
2836994 postgres  20   0 1259468   4444   1800 R   0.1   0.1   0:01.14
postgres: elvnetfix_instance: walsender barman x.x.x.x(57084) streaming
6AD/7575C3E8
2837130 postgres  20   0 1261536  15708  12168 R   0.1   0.4   0:00.93
postgres: elvnetfix_instance: elvnetfixadmin elvnetfix x.x.x.x(17361) idle
2837299 postgres  20   0 2195352 940340  72712 R   0.1  25.3   0:34.68
postgres: elvnetfix_instance: elvnetfixadmin elvnetfix x.x.x.x(27104) SELECT
2837345 postgres  20   0 1257200   1876      0 R   0.1   0.1   0:00.73
/usr/pgsql-15/bin/postmaster -D /pgdata/pgsql/15/data/
2837348 postgres  20   0 1257200   1876      0 R   0.1   0.1   0:00.45
/usr/pgsql-15/bin/postmaster -D /pgdata/pgsql/15/data/
2837350 postgres  20   0 1257200   2004    128 R   0.1   0.1   0:00.27
/usr/pgsql-15/bin/postmaster -D /pgdata/pgsql/15/data/
2837369 postgres  20   0 1257200   2004    128 R   0.1   0.1   0:00.03
/usr/pgsql-15/bin/postmaster -D /pgdata/pgsql/15/data/
2837302 postgres  20   0 2111732 860004  65032 R   0.1  23.2   0:31.29
postgres: elvnetfix_instance: parallel worker for PID 2837299
2837349 postgres  20   0 1257200   1876      0 R   0.1   0.1   0:00.37
/usr/pgsql-15/bin/postmaster -D /pgdata/pgsql/15/data/
2832240 postgres  20   0  224348   2304    128 S   0.0   0.1   0:00.73 -bash
2835242 postgres  20   0  224348   2304    128 S   0.0   0.1   0:00.61 -bash
2836621 postgres  20   0  224348   2048      0 S   0.0   0.1   0:00.02 -bash
2836974 postgres  20   0  281224   1984    136 S   0.0   0.1   0:00.03
postgres: elvnetfix_instance: logger
2836975 postgres  20   0 1257356  20828  18952 S   0.0   0.6   0:00.02
postgres: elvnetfix_instance: checkpointer

br
Kaido

---

From: Ron Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2024 13:59:32 -0500

On Tue, Dec 17, 2024 at 1:42 PM kaido vaikla <[email-masked]> wrote:

> 2837351 postgres  20   0    6408    256    256 D   9.8   0.0   0:02.02
> free -h
[snip]

What do "pg_ctl -D /pgdata/pgsql/15/data" and "ps -ejH" say?

-- 
Death to <Redacted>, and butter sauce.
Don't boil me, I'm still alive.
<Redacted> lobster!

---

From: kaido vaikla <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2024 10:23:37 +0200

Actually this problem popped up and disappeared.
What did you expect to see executing  "pg_ctl -D /pgdata/pgsql/15/data"
without any controll option a'la stop etc
br
Kaido

On Tue, 17 Dec 2024 at 20:59, Ron Johnson <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> 2837291 postgres  20   0  235300   1536    512 R   2.5   0.0   0:03.34
>> top -c -u postgres

---

From: Ron Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2024 09:25:25 -0500

pg_ctl *status* -D /pgdata/pgsql/15/data

Sorry about that.