Subject: Archiving solutions

From: kasem adel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2025 22:42:07 +0200

Dears ,

Appreciate your support I have 2.4 TB database and I need to implement
archiving solutions to prevent data growthing.

Thanks

---

From: Imran Khan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2025 23:55:29 +0300

Hi,

Plan to use table partitioning and do regular housekeeping of the cluster.

Thanks,
Imran

---

From: Ron Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2025 20:56:55 -0500

COPY exists, and is very fast.

In my experience, DELETE is quite fast when you:
1. have a supporting index, and
2. don't try to delete too much in one statement.

Those are the only PG comments that I needed to archive a 6TB DB down to
2TB.

-- 
Death to <Redacted>, and butter sauce.
Don't boil me, I'm still alive.
<Redacted> lobster!

---

From: Rajesh Kumar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2025 10:03:27 +0530

What are regular housekeeping activities @Imran?

---

From: Imran Khan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2025 07:48:28 +0300

Hi Rajesh,

Housekeeping activities in PostgreSQL are essential to ensure the database
remains high performing, secure, and reliable over time. Below is a
categorized list of key housekeeping tasks:

---

1. Routine Maintenance Tasks

Vacuuming:

Use VACUUM to reclaim storage and update visibility maps.

Run VACUUM FULL for aggressive storage reclamation (requires downtime).

Analyze Statistics:

Run ANALYZE to update query planner statistics for efficient query
execution.

Use autovacuum for automatic vacuum and analyze.

Reindexing:

Use REINDEX to rebuild corrupted or bloated indexes.

Schedule periodic reindexing for heavily updated tables.

---

2. Backup and Recovery

Regular Backups:

Use pg_basebackup or pg_dump for full backups.

Implement incremental backups if using third-party tools (e.g., pgBackRest,
Barman).

Test Recovery:

Periodically restore backups in a test environment to ensure recovery
readiness.

---

3. Monitoring and Logging

Review Logs:

Check PostgreSQL logs for errors, slow queries, and unusual activities.

Adjust log_min_duration_statement to capture slow queries.

Monitor Performance Metrics:

Use tools like pg_stat_activity, pg_stat_replication, and
pg_stat_progress_vacuum.

Implement monitoring solutions (e.g., pgAdmin, Prometheus/Grafana,
pgwatch2).

---

4. Database Optimization

Index Maintenance:

Identify unused or bloated indexes using pg_stat_user_indexes.

Drop unused indexes and optimize queries.

Query Optimization:

Use EXPLAIN or EXPLAIN ANALYZE to analyze query performance.

Optimize slow queries by rewriting or indexing.

Partitioning:

Use table partitioning for large datasets to improve performance and
manageability.

---

5. Configuration Management

Parameter Tuning:

Adjust key parameters like work_mem, maintenance_work_mem,
effective_cache_size, and max_connections.

Regularly review and tune configuration files (postgresql.conf and
pg_hba.conf).

Autovacuum Settings:

Ensure autovacuum is enabled and tuned for your workload.

Monitor pg_stat_autovacuum for activity.

---

6. Security and User Management

User Roles and Permissions:

Regularly review roles and privileges.

Remove unused accounts and enforce strong passwords.

SSL/TLS Management:

Enable SSL for secure connections.

Rotate certificates periodically.

Audit Logs:

Use extensions like pgAudit for detailed logging of user activities.

---

7. Archiving and WAL Management

WAL Archiving:

Enable archive_mode and configure archive_command for point-in-time
recovery (PITR).

Cleanup Old WAL Files:

Ensure old WAL files are deleted or archived properly to free up storage.

---

8. Database Growth Management

Table and Index Bloat Analysis:

Use pgstattuple or pg_repack to identify and manage bloat.

Disk Usage Monitoring:

Regularly monitor disk usage with pg_database_size() and pg_relation_size().

---

9. Updates and Patches

Apply Updates:

Keep PostgreSQL updated with the latest patches for bug fixes and security.

Extension Updates:

Update installed extensions (e.g., PostGIS, pglogical) to their latest
versions.

---

10. Miscellaneous Tasks

Replication Monitoring:

Monitor replication lag and the health of replicas using
pg_stat_replication.

System Resource Monitoring:

Monitor CPU, memory, and I/O usage to ensure the system is not bottlenecked.

Disk Defragmentation:

Perform disk defragmentation (OS level) if necessary.

---

These activities, when performed periodically, will help keep your
PostgreSQL database healthy and performing optimally. Automating some of
these tasks via scripts or tools can further reduce manual intervention.

---

From: kasem adel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2025 01:08:10 +0200

Dear imeran ,

Thanks for your support.

Dears,

Appreciate your support in simple solution to implement it.

Thanks

في الأحد، ١٢ يناير ٢٠٢٥ ١١:٢٣ م Imran Khan <[email-masked]> كتب:

> Hi,
>
>  How the data can be stored. Do you have historical data? If yes , then
> you can keep that data in archived tables or if that data is still required
> by business then store it in partitions monthly wise . You need to design
> the data storage with proper planning. Also, if you have dynamic and ever
> changing data and you have date records then store with respect to
> partitions and retain for last 3 or 6 months then move to archived tables
> or purge if not required .. keep track of indexes and capture long running
> SQL statements through pg_stat_statements extension and run explain plan to
> get the proper indexes created based on the output of that plan. Also, keep
> track of memory related parameters to check if any memory leak occurs
> resulting in EXCESSIVE swap space usage on OS.
>
>  That's my opinion but we have more experts here who can help us to
> understand more.
>
> Thanks,
> Imran
>
> On Sun, Jan 12, 2025, 11:57 PM kasem adel <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> What is the regular housekeeping.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> في الأحد، ١٢ يناير ٢٠٢٥ ١٠:٥٥ م Imran Khan <[email-masked]> كتب:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>

---

From: Rajesh Kumar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2025 09:06:13 +0530

Thank you Imran