Subject: Postgres DB crashing in OpenSSL 3.2 Version

From: kamal deen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2024 21:57:43 +0530

Hi All,

 We have noticed in our recent builds postgres (Rocky 9 OS , PG 15.2
version) getting crash while trying to connect DB using certs.

Pls advise if we have any fix. ( without downgrade the OpenSSL).

Thanks
SK

---

From: Joe Tailleur <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2024 09:31:31 -0700

We fixed ours by upgrading Postgres to 15.10

Joe.

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2024 11:34:49 -0500

> version) getting crash while trying to connect DB using certs.

You need PG 15.6 or later.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: kamal deen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2024 22:15:45 +0530

Thank you Joe. Will try that.

SK

---

From: kamal deen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2024 22:36:14 +0530

I have tested it with PG15.6 , it's working as expected.

Thanks for your response Joe 😊.

SK.

---

From: Holger Jakobs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2024 18:13:05 +0100

Am 13.12.24 um 18:06 schrieb kamal deen:
>              We have noticed in our recent builds postgres (Rocky 9 OS
>             , PG 15.2 version) getting crash while trying to connect
>             DB using certs.
>

I cannot imagine any reason to go with any minor version but the latest. 
Since jumping directly to the lastes minor is no problem, it's the way 
to go.

https://why-upgrade.depesz.com/show?from=15.6&to=15.10&keywords=

  Upgrading from 15.6 to 15.10 gives you 9.6 months worth of fixes (155
  of them)

-- 

Holger Jakobs, Bergisch Gladbach

---

From: kamal deen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2024 22:57:00 +0530

Awesome 👌

Thank you Holger Jakobs.

SK.

On Fri, Dec 13, 2024, 10:43 PM Holger Jakobs <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Since jumping directly to the lastes minor is no problem, it's the way to
> go.
>
> Upgrading from 15.6 to 15.10 gives you 9.6 months worth of fixes (155 of
> them)
>
> --
>

---

From: kamal deen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2024 22:42:37 +0530

Hi All,

Do we have any fix for postgres version below 15.6?

We do have some critical system still running in older than 15.6 (12,13,14)
version due to some application compatibility.

Thanks in advance.

SK

---

From: Jerry Sievers <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2024 01:00:11 -0600

kamal deen <[email-masked]> writes:

> We do have some critical system still running in older than 15.6 (12,13,14) version due to some application compatibility.

All but your v12 system are still supported.  v12 is EOL so don't expect
updates and v13 will be dropped late in 2025 as per the usual
end-of-lifing of older versions.

If whatever host platform you're on isn't offering you anything below
v15, then that's another matter that probably can be resolved by getting
from a different package repo.

If you're on some cloud hosting, then YMMV.  Contact the vendor.

HTH

>   We have noticed in our recent builds postgres (Rocky 9 OS , PG 15.2 version) getting crash while trying to connect DB using certs.
>