Subject: PostgreSQL 13 articles (German)

From: "Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2020 01:14:23 +0200

Hello,

After a brief discussion with Jonathan he suggested posting here the list
of articles about the PostgreSQL 13 release in German.

   - https://www.admin-magazin.de/News/PostgreSQL-13-veroeffentlicht
   - https://geoobserver.wordpress.com/2020/09/25/postgresql-released-v13/
   - https://www.it-daily.net/shortnews/25558-neues-release-postgresql-13
   -
   https://www.robotron.de/unternehmen/aktuelles/blog/postgresql-13-verfuegbar
   - https://blog.v-gar.de/2020/09/postgresql-13-erschienen/
   -
   https://www.heise.de/news/Datenbank-PostgreSQL-13-optimiert-Indizes-und-Aufraeumarbeiten-4912302.html
   -
   https://www.credativ.de/blog/postgresql/postgresql-13-erscheint-am-24092020
   - https://www.linux-magazin.de/news/postgresql-13-mit-mehr-performance/
   - https://www.edv-nachrichten.de/meldung/dbms_postgresql_13_erschienen

That's what I spotted over the course of the last week.

-- 
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group
European PostgreSQL User Group - Board of Directors
Volunteer Regional Contact, Germany - PostgreSQL Project

---

From: "Jonathan S. Katz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2020 22:20:17 -0400

On 10/5/20 7:14 PM, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> 
> Hello,
> 
> After a brief discussion with Jonathan he suggested posting here the
> list of articles about the PostgreSQL 13 release in German.
> 
>   * https://www.admin-magazin.de/News/PostgreSQL-13-veroeffentlicht
>   * https://geoobserver.wordpress.com/2020/09/25/postgresql-released-v13/
>   * https://www.it-daily.net/shortnews/25558-neues-release-postgresql-13
>   * https://www.robotron.de/unternehmen/aktuelles/blog/postgresql-13-verfuegbar
>   * https://blog.v-gar.de/2020/09/postgresql-13-erschienen/
>   * https://www.heise.de/news/Datenbank-PostgreSQL-13-optimiert-Indizes-und-Aufraeumarbeiten-4912302.html
>   * https://www.credativ.de/blog/postgresql/postgresql-13-erscheint-am-24092020
>   * https://www.linux-magazin.de/news/postgresql-13-mit-mehr-performance/
>   * https://www.edv-nachrichten.de/meldung/dbms_postgresql_13_erschienen
> 

Awesome, thanks for compiling!

I wonder if we should start collecting and linking to media coverage
from the press kit[1], or perhaps as an offshoot to the press page?[2]
Historically, we've collected in on the -advocacy list, but it would
create a bit more permanence, plus added credibility for the project, if
we explicitly keep this links somewhere on the website?

It may also encourage others to write about a PostgreSQL release.

Jonathan

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/about/press/presskit13/
[2] https://www.postgresql.org/about/press/

---

From: Valeria Kaplan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2020 16:31:02 +0100

I think that's a really good idea (compiling and linking to the press page
[2]). Will definitely encourage people to spread the news.

Few things that we could discuss are:

   - Whether we will include marketing articles by companies that use these
   news for self promotion? (my opinion is that we should try and only list
   pieces that are neutral, at least as much as possible)
   - What about opinion pieces (user stories etc.)? (I have mixed feelings
   about this one)
   - Do we also list syndications? (guess not)

If helpful, I searched and found a few pieces in Russian (there wasn't
much):
https://www.opennet.ru/opennews/art.shtml?num=53774
there were a few syndications:
https://www.linux.org.ru/news/opensource/15914558
https://unixforum.org/viewtopic.php?t=150537
https://ru.wikinews.org/wiki/%D0%A0%D0%B5%D0%BB%D0%B8%D0%B7_%D0%A1%D0%A3%D0%91%D0%94_PostgreSQL_13
There was also this overview in Russian at the recent #RuPostgres session
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLSpW6Ero30&feature=emb_title (a Russian
speaking YouTube channel dedicated to Postgres news, features, events etc.)
There was this blog post
https://yandex.ru/turbo/dataenginer.ru/s/?pcgi=p%3D8121 (First experience
with Postgres 13)

Another small question,
Who does the translation of the non-English press kit? Do we have native
speakers checking it before the official release? (I'd be happy to help
with Russian if needed, and I also noticed a few glitches with Hebrew
version)

On Tue, Oct 6, 2020 at 3:20 AM Jonathan S. Katz <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> >   *
> https://geoobserver.wordpress.com/2020/09/25/postgresql-released-v13/
> >   *
> >   *
> >   *
> >   *
> https://www.linux-magazin.de/news/postgresql-13-mit-mehr-performance/

---

From: "Jonathan S. Katz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2020 11:37:45 -0400

On 10/6/20 11:31 AM, Valeria Kaplan wrote:
> I think that's a really good idea (compiling and linking to the press
> page [2]). Will definitely encourage people to spread the news.
> 
>   * Whether we will include marketing articles by companies that use
>     these news for self promotion? (my opinion is that we should try and
>     only list pieces that are neutral, at least as much as possible) 
>   * What about opinion pieces (user stories etc.)? (I have mixed
>     feelings about this one)
>   * Do we also list syndications? (guess not)

We likely need some guidelines, yes. I think the idea is to restrict it
to media outlets. I would certainly -1 being articles specifically from
companies or on corporate blogs (even if they are good PostgreSQL 13
articles...a lot of them have been syndicated via Planet anyway).

Likewise, I think we'd want to avoid syndications and try to aim for
original content. Granted, some of the original content may be
copying+pasting from the press release, but the idea is that it comes
from a media outlet.

I think there is likely best effort quality control in it too. I
remember an article in English last year that referred to PostgreSQL as
"traditionally a NoSQL database," which I would say shouldn't make the cut.

> There was also this overview in Russian at the recent #RuPostgres
> session https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLSpW6Ero30&feature=emb_title (a
> Russian speaking YouTube channel dedicated to Postgres news, features,
> events etc.)
> There was this blog post
> https://yandex.ru/turbo/dataenginer.ru/s/?pcgi=p%3D8121 (First
> experience with Postgres 13) 

Thanks! So, I would like restrict it to just media outlets, and not
syndications, though it's good to know about the syndications for future
decision making around the press release.

> with Russian if needed, and I also noticed a few glitches with Hebrew

Yes, there is a team[1], and typically within the teams there are teams,
so it gets a lot of eyes on it. Before committing, I'll also throw it
into Google translate just to spot check (I'm not going to modify the
content itself, but in case I have qusetions for the translators).

If you are interested to find out more about the team, please send me a
note.

Thanks!

Jonathan

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/about/press/

---

From: Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2020 21:13:24 +0200

>> That's what I spotted over the course of the last week.

One more:
https://www.it-administrator.de/themen/server_client/332884.html

> It may also encourage others to write about a PostgreSQL release.

I think that's a good idea. Maybe also state that links will have a 
rel="nofollow",
which should keep seo spam at bay ... And of course add the policy you 
mentioned.

---

From: Nikolay Samokhvalov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2020 13:34:40 -0700

(Top-posting because until anyone complains and also because I find it much
more convenient in Gmail)

In my opinion, this PostgresPro article (published at times of beta
release) is awesome: https://habr.com/ru/company/postgrespro/blog/493106/.
There is also an English version:
https://habr.com/en/company/postgrespro/blog/499880/. It's very detailed
and covers a lot of features (not as many as PDF from Noriyoshi Shinoda
though), and provides good examples.

On Tue, Oct 6, 2020 at 8:31 AM Valeria Kaplan <[email-masked]>
wrote:

>    - Whether we will include marketing articles by companies that use
>    these news for self promotion? (my opinion is that we should try and only
>    list pieces that are neutral, at least as much as possible)
>    - What about opinion pieces (user stories etc.)? (I have mixed
>    feelings about this one)
>> https://www.it-daily.net/shortnews/25558-neues-release-postgresql-13
>> >   *
>> https://www.edv-nachrichten.de/meldung/dbms_postgresql_13_erschienen
>> >