Subject: PostgreSQL 16 Beta 1 release announcement draft

From: "Jonathan S. Katz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 00:18:20 -0400

Hi,

Attached is a draft of the release announcement for PostgreSQL 16 Beta 
1. The goal of this announcement is to get people excited about testing 
the beta and highlight many of the new features.

Please review for inaccuracies, omissions, and other suggestions / errors.

Please provide feedback no later than May 24, 0:00 AoE. This will give 
me enough time to incorporate the changes prior to the release the next day.

Thanks,

Jonathan

---

From: Justin Clift <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 00:42:07 +1000

2023-05-19 14:18, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> 1. The goal of this announcement is to get people excited about
> testing the beta and highlight many of the new features.
> 

Would you be ok with capitalising the word "Community" in "PostgreSQL
community" in it?

It's just a subtle emphasis thing, but still... :)

+ Justin

---

From: Justin Clift <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 01:02:58 +1000

> Please review for inaccuracies, omissions, and other suggestions / 

Typo:

   "PostgreSQL 16 continues to give users to the ability grant privileged 
..."

Should be:

   "PostgreSQL 16 continues to give users the ability to grant privileged 
..."

Hmmm, upon re-reading that whole sentence (not just my fragment of it 
above)
seems pretty unwieldy.  A better one isn't springing to mind though. ;)

---

Should this:

   "Additionally, starting with release, logical replication ..."

Have the word "this" before "release"?

---

Typo:

   "... use the authenticated credentials to connected to other 
services."

Should be:

   "... use the authenticated credentials to connect to other services."

The sentence after that starts:

   "This release also adds ..."

With the one following it starting with "This includes ...".  Together,
they a bit unwieldy too.  Maybe something like this instead?

   "This release also adds several new security-oriented connection
    parameters for clients, including ..."

---

Would this:

   "You can now also set `sslrootcert` to `system` to specify that
    PostgreSQL can use the trusted certificate authority (CA) store
    for that operating system."

Be better as?

   "You can now also set `sslrootcert` to `system` to instruct
    PostgreSQL to use the trusted certificate authority (CA) store
    provided by the operating system."

---

Nothing else is jumping out at me.  It all seems pretty good. :)

+ Justin

---

From: Cédric Villemain <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 21:24:43 +0200

Hi Jonathan,

> Please review for inaccuracies, omissions, and other suggestions / 
Minor patch attached, with comments.

---
Cédric Villemain +33 (0)6 20 30 22 52
https://Data-Bene.io
PostgreSQL: Expertise - Formation - Développement - Assistance Technique
--- 16beta1.md.orig	2023-05-20 21:12:11.193708177 +0200
+++ 16beta1.md	2023-05-20 21:19:52.954651807 +0200
@@ -61,7 +61,7 @@
 
 ### Developer Experience
 
-PostgreSQL 16 continues to to implement the [SQL/JSON](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/functions-json.html)
+PostgreSQL 16 continues to implement the [SQL/JSON](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/functions-json.html)
 standard for manipulating [JSON](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/datatype-json.html)
 data, including support for SQL/JSON constructors (e.g. `JSON_ARRAY()`,
 `JSON_ARRAYAGG()` et al), and identity functions (`IS JSON`). This release also
@@ -84,7 +84,7 @@
 These include `pg_maintain`, which enables execution of operations such as
 `VACUUM`, `ANALYZE`, `REINDEX`, and others, and `pg_createsubscription`, which
 allows users to create a logical replication subscription. Additionally,
-starting with release, logical replication subscribers execute transactions on a
+starting with (this?) release, logical replication subscribers execute transactions on a
 table as the table owner, not the superuser.
 
 PostgreSQL 16 now lets you use regular expressions in the [`pg_hba.conf`](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/auth-pg-hba-conf.html)
@@ -126,7 +126,7 @@
 ### Other Notable Changes
 
 For Windows installations, PostgreSQL 16 now supports a minimum version of
-Windows 10. Additionally, PostgreSQL 16 removes the `promote_trigger_file`
+Windows 10. <!-- Is it on Windows too ? -->Additionally, PostgreSQL 16 removes the `promote_trigger_file`
 option to enable the promotion of a standby. Users should use the
 `pg_ctl promote` command or `pg_promote()` function to promote a standby.

---

From: "Jonathan S. Katz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 12:56:27 -0400

> It's just a subtle emphasis thing, but still... :)

We don't do this anywhere else on the website or documentation. All the 
other references in the doc just use "community" without "PostgreSQL" so 
if anything we could arguably drop "PostgreSQL" all together there or 
reword the sentence, but I'm not generally inclined to capitalize 
"community" in this context.

Thanks,

Joanthan

---

From: "Jonathan S. Katz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 13:02:01 -0400

> they a bit unwieldy too.  Maybe something like this instead?

Thanks -- I broke this one up into two sentences.

>     provided by the operating system."

I took this suggestion, with modifications.

> Nothing else is jumping out at me.  It all seems pretty good. :)

Thanks!

---

From: "Jonathan S. Katz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 13:04:43 -0400

Hi Cédric,

> Minor patch attached, with comments.

Thanks -- for these reviews, it's actually easier just to comment in the 
email vs. attach a patch, as there are multiple feedback providers and 
such the patch may not apply cleanly.

The first two changes had been picked up in previous comments. For the 
last change, I understood where the confusion could come from, so I 
reordered the sentences.

Thanks,

Jonathan

---

From: "Jonathan S. Katz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 13:06:59 -0400

> me enough time to incorporate the changes prior to the release the next 

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Here is the updated text that 
combines all of the feedback from both -advocacy and -hackers.

Thanks,

Jonathan

---

From: Justin Clift <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 11:43:47 +1000

> combines all of the feedback from both -advocacy and -hackers.

Reading over that, it's pretty good.  Well done. :)

+ Justin