Subject: PostgreSQL 16 release announcement

From: "Jonathan S. Katz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 15:39:06 -0400

Hi,

Attached is the first draft of the PostgreSQL 16 release announcement, 
authored by Chelsea Dole & myself.

To frame this up, the goal of the GA release announcement is to help 
folks discover the awesome new features of PostgreSQL. It's impossible 
to list out every single feature in the release and still have a 
coherent announcement, so we try to target features that have the 
broadest range of impact.

It's possible we missed or incorrectly stated something, so please 
provide feedback if we did so.

(Note I have not added in all of the links etc. to the Markdown yet, as 
I want to wait for the first pass of feedback to come through).

**Please provide feedback by August 26, 12:00 UTC**. After that point, 
we need to freeze all changes so we can begin the release announcement 
translation effort.

Thanks,

Jonathan

---

From: Daniel Gustafsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 11:32:03 +0200

> On 19 Aug 2023, at 21:39, Jonathan S. Katz <[email-masked]> wrote:

> It's possible we missed or incorrectly stated something, so please provide feedback if we did so.

Nitpick, but the Linux downloads can have a download/linux link as well to
match Windows/macOS:

   [Windows](https://www.postgresql.org/download/windows/),
   [Linux](https://www.postgresql.org/download/),
   [macOS](https://www.postgresql.org/download/macosx/),

--
Daniel Gustafsson

---

From: Dave Cramer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 07:07:18 -0400

> provide feedback if we did so.

What does the improvements to access control have to do with large work
loads ?

Dave Cramer

---

From: "Jonathan S. Katz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 13:55:38 -0400

On 8/21/23 7:07 AM, Dave Cramer wrote:
> 
> 
> 
> On Mon, 21 Aug 2023 at 05:32, Daniel Gustafsson <[email-masked] 
> <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
> 
>      > On 19 Aug 2023, at 21:39, Jonathan S. Katz <[email-masked]
>     <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
> 

This took me a moment to realize what you were referring to because you 
didn't provide the sentence in question.

The theme is built around the changes in the host configuration files 
that allow for regular expressions and includes, which, from discussing 
with users, benefits people who are managing larger fleets of PostgreSQL.

That said, I see the confusion around the wording. I've changed it to 
this below, and attached the latest copy based on other feedback.

==snip==
and greater flexibility in
defining access control rules for management of policies across large 
fleets.
==snip==

Reminder that the window to submit changes closes at **August 26, 12:00 
UTC**.

Thanks,

Jonathan

---

From: Cédric Villemain <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 13:51:11 +0200

> provide feedback if we did so.

In "performance" section:

« It also introduces `RIGHT` and `OUTER` "anti-joins", which enable 
users to identify rows not present in a joined table.»

It's a bit confusing for me: is it about the planner improvements or 
there is something else ?

---
Cédric Villemain +33 (0)6 20 30 22 52
https://Data-Bene.io
PostgreSQL Expertise, Support, Training, R&D