Subject: PostgreSQL 15 Beta 1 release announcement draft

From: "Jonathan S. Katz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 14:53:07 -0400

Hi,

Attached is a draft of the release announcement for the PostgreSQL 15 
Beta 1 release. The goal of this announcement is to raise awareness 
around many of the new features appearing in PostgreSQL 15 and to 
encourage people to test. The success of the PostgreSQL 15 GA depends 
heavily on people testing during the Beta period!

Please review this announcement for feature description accuracy or if 
there is something omitted that should be highlighted. Note that we 
cannot highlight everything that is coming in PostgreSQL 15 (that is why 
we have the release notes), but are aiming to showcase features that are 
impactful and inspirational.

Please provide feedback no later than 2022-05-19 0:00 AoE[1].

Thanks,

Jonathan

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anywhere_on_Earth

---

From: Adrian Klaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 17:24:27 -0700

> Please provide feedback no later than 2022-05-19 0:00 AoE[1].

I think there needs to be mention that plpythonu and plpython2u  are 
going away and there will only be plpython3u . Especially since in 
current docs it says:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/plpython-python23.html

"The language named plpythonu implements PL/Python based on the default 
Python language variant, which is currently Python 2. (This default is 
independent of what any local Python installations might consider to be 
their “default”, for example, what /usr/bin/python might be.) The 
default will probably be changed to Python 3 in a distant future release 
of PostgreSQL, depending on the progress of the migration to Python 3 in 
the Python community."

This is going to catch people by surprise. A heads up in the release 
announcement will mitigate that.

-- 
Adrian Klaver
[email-masked]

---

From: Justin Clift <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 12:31:07 +1000

On 2022-05-18 10:24, Adrian Klaver wrote:
<snip>
> "The language named plpythonu implements PL/Python based on the
> default Python language variant, which is currently Python 2. (This
> default is independent of what any local Python installations might
> consider to be their “default”, for example, what /usr/bin/python
> might be.) The default will probably be changed to Python 3 in a
> distant future release of PostgreSQL, depending on the progress of the
> migration to Python 3 in the Python community."
> 

This sounds like a good idea. :)

+ Justin

---

From: Valeria Kaplan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 15:50:53 +0100

my 5 cent

   1.  "thouh some details" (g is missing in thouh)
   2. "PostgreSQL 15 now by default logs checkpoints and slow autovacuum
   operations." (I'd add S in ''slows'')

Thanks,
Valeria

---

From: Laurenz Albe <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 17:26:37 +0200

On Wed, 2022-05-18 at 15:50 +0100, Valeria Kaplan wrote:

>    2. "PostgreSQL 15 now by default logs checkpoints and slow autovacuum operations." (I'd add S in ''slows'')

That should be "slow".  Slowing down autovacuum would hardly be a feature we want
to advertise, but logging slow autovacuum operations is.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

---

From: Valeria Kaplan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 16:31:10 +0100

good point, I read it differently :)
thanks,

---

From: "Jonathan S. Katz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 20:56:44 -0400

> This sounds like a good idea. :)

I think there are other breaking changes that may also affect users, 
e.g. revoking create privs from everyone except the DB owner on the 
public schema (which probably has the most impact), removing exclusive 
backup mode, etc. These are covered in the "breaking changes" portion of 
the release notes.

The PG15 documentation also makes this pretty clear:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/plpython-python23.html

Perhaps in the GA release we add something to the announcement, but the 
release announcement is geared more towards "what's new" instead of 
"what's breaking".

Thanks,

Jonathan

---

From: "Jonathan S. Katz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 20:58:57 -0400

>  1.   "thouh some details" (g is missing in thouh)

This was fixed in v2; I had only posted it to -hackers and forgot to 
post it here.

>     operations." (I'd add S in ''slows'')

I reworded this to be clearer, i.e. "...and autovacuum operations that 
are slow."

Thanks,

Jonathan