Subject: Re: Local User Groups - advocacy

From: Valeria Kaplan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2020 15:04:30 +0000

Hi Jonathan, All,

To take our discussion on this thread further, I went through the content
on the wiki page and rewrote it a bit.
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/UserGroupOperatingManual

I made five sections, keeping in mind what I'd see going on the postgres.org
website PUG page <https://www.postgresql.org/community/user-groups/>:

1. Small blurb at the top (see under *creating a new user group*)
2. *Starting your PUG* (guides you through the process of creating all
needed resources and announcing the group to the community)
3. *Holding your first meetup* (talks about different organisational
aspects of a meetup, how to get funding, and where to announce)
4. *Holding more meetings *(a general guidance on holding meetup series)
5. *Useful links *(this needs more links, examples of active user group
pages, checklists, articles about choosing topics for PUG meetings and how
to run them. *If anyone has good examples for it, could you please ad the
link to the wiki *
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/UserGroupOperatingManual#Useful_Links *or send
it to this thread and I'll add*.)

I left Notes and Brain Dump, they do have some useful nuggets of
information, but I think it'd be too much for the website.

*It definitely needs a proof, so if anyone can help with that it would be
great.*

Once on the website, I have a few ideas that could bring this section of
the website to live a bit more (an animation to explain the process and
maybe series of video interviews with those who have experience organising
PUG meetings)... "You may say I`m a dreamer; but I`m not the only one." :)

Cheers,
Valeria

On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 4:59 PM Jonathan S. Katz <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 1/6/20 8:12 AM, Dave Cramer wrote:
> >
> >
> > On Mon, 6 Jan 2020 at 04:57, Valeria Kaplan <[email-masked]
> > <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
> >
> >     Hi Umair,
> >
> >     Thanks for sending this to Manoj, this is a super useful page.
> >     Do you know if there is a particular reason why this info is not on
> >     the main website?
> >
> >     I think it's super useful, so maybe we could put it
> >     here: https://www.postgresql.org/community/user-groups/ or at least
> >     provide a link to wiki (I guess, it depends whether or not we would
> >     liek to keep using wiki for instructions like that - I personally,
> >     think we shouldn't since only those who are already involved in the
> >     community would be aware of wiki, others will most probably look for
> >     information like that on the main website.).
> >
> >     All,
> >     what do you think?
> >
> >
> > Personally I find the wiki a terrible place to put anything. It is only
> > useful if you know that what you are searching for exists and you have
> > some vague notion of how to search for it.
> >
> > +1 for the main page
>
> I think the idea for this page being on the wiki was that it allowed for
> changes to be made over time, e.g. if there was a new idea for how to do
> something, a clarification, etc. It also has not been updated since 2015.
>
> That said, I would not be opposed to adding something on the website for
> how to start a user group, etc. but I think we need to ensure we have
> some "final" language we've agreed to. It's (relatively) easier to
> modify a Wiki page than the website.
>
> Perhaps an interim step is to link to the wiki page from the website? We
> can then work on what we would want the "user group operating manual"
> page to say on the website, and once ready, commit that.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jonathan
>

---

From: Valeria Kaplan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2020 10:24:50 +0000

Hi All,

I think my email (below) fell between the cracks, but we still need to
address the issue of not having any information about setting up and
running meetups on postgres.org, so if there are no comments about the updated
wiki page text <https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/UserGroupOperatingManual>(see
my email below) I'd suggest that myself and Johnathan (if you have time,
Johnathan) finalise it and add it to the website to keep the ball rolling.

Thanks,
Valeria

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 3:04 PM Valeria Kaplan <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I made five sections, keeping in mind what I'd see going on the
> postgres.org website PUG page
> <https://www.postgresql.org/community/user-groups/>:
>

---

From: Justin Clift <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 11:06:07 +1100

Seems like a worthwhile attempt, worthy of trying out and seeing how it 
goes
if nothing else. :)

+ Justin

On 2020-03-03 21:24, Valeria Kaplan wrote:
> wiki page text 
> <https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/UserGroupOperatingManual>(see

---

From: "Jonathan S. Katz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 22:32:52 -0400

>> Johnathan) finalise it and add it to the website to keep the ball

Sorry, missed this during travel and forgot to circle back.

Certainly +1 to moving it forward. I have a few content tweaks queued up
to do, next week likely better to push a bunch of changes through to the
website.

I skimmed through the notes -- they look way more organized. I think it
will be a very helpful resource!

Jonathan

---

From: Valeria Kaplan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 11:44:14 +0000

Cool, thank you Johnathan!

Let me know if I can be of any help for completing this (even if just
circling back with you next week :) )

---

From: Dave Cramer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 09:33:00 -0400

Dave Cramer
www.postgres.rocks

> will be a very helpful resource!
Valeria,

Great work! Thanks for doing this.  I read through it and have some
possible edits.

   1.
      - Email the list [email-masked] announcing that you
      would like to create a user group in your area and note if need funds
      setting up your meeting.com account.

Possibly change this to "if you need funds... "

Please consider your local specifics and popular platforms in your geography
.
change to "in your area"

 it is successful if the focus is on its audience and the narrower your
focus is the better your meetup will run and the stronger community you
will create

It took me a bit to grok the sentence above. Does this work ?

To be successful, focus on the audience. The narrower your focus, the
better your meetup will run; resulting in a stronger community

Regards,

Dave