Subject: BUG #19541: Postgresql failed to run 150+ tests on both debug and release configurations with VS 2026 on Windows

From: PG Bug reporting form <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2026 07:37:00 +0000

The following bug has been logged on the website:

Bug reference:      19541
Logged by:          Karen Huang
Email address:      [email-masked]
PostgreSQL version: 19beta1
Operating system:   Windows 11
Description:        

The MSVC team regularly builds popular open-source projects, including
yours, with development versions of the build tools in order to find and fix
regressions in the compiler and libraries before they can ship and cause
trouble for the world. This also allows us to provide advance notice of
breaking changes, which is the case here.

We build Postgresql with VS 2026 on Windows. It failed to run 150+ tests on
both debug and release configurations. Could you please help to take a look?
Thanks in advance!

Repro steps:
1. git clone https://git.postgresql.org/git/postgresql.git
C:\gitP\postgres\postgres
2. C:\tools\msys64\usr\bin\pacman --noconfirm -S flex bison diffutils
3. Open VS 2026 x64 CMD.
4. cd /d C:\gitP\postgres\postgres
5. mkdir build_amd64 && cd build_amd64
6. set PATH=%PATH%;C:\tools\msys64\usr\bin
7. pip3 install meson
8. meson setup --buildtype release
9.  ninja -v
10. meson test --no-suite libpq_pipeline

Test result:
The error log is quite large, so it's not practical to paste it into the
email. It also appears that we can't attach log files to this thread. Could
you please advise on the preferred way to share the complete log? We can
upload it to a file-sharing service or use any other method you recommend.

=================================== 7/383
====================================
test:         recovery - postgresql:recovery/001_stream_rep
start time:   02:28:46
duration:     84.25s
result:       exit status 9
command:      top_builddir=C:\gitP\postgres\postgres\build_amd64
enable_injection_points=no
MSAN_OPTIONS=halt_on_error=1:abort_on_error=1:print_summary=1:print_stacktrace=1
UBSAN_OPTIONS=halt_on_error=1:abort_on_error=1:print_summary=1:print_stacktrace=1
MALLOC_PERTURB_=88
share_contrib_dir=C:/gitP/postgres/postgres/build_amd64/tmp_install//usr/local/pgsql/share/contrib
PG_REGRESS=C:\gitP\postgres\postgres\build_amd64\src/test\regress\pg_regress.exe
INITDB_TEMPLATE=C:/gitP/postgres/postgres/build_amd64/tmp_install/initdb-template
REGRESS_SHLIB=C:\gitP\postgres\postgres\build_amd64\src/test\regress\regress.dll
MESON_TEST_ITERATION=1
ASAN_OPTIONS=halt_on_error=1:abort_on_error=1:print_summary=1
C:\Python312\python.EXE
C:\gitP\postgres\postgres\build_amd64\..\src/tools/testwrap --basedir
C:\gitP\postgres\postgres\build_amd64 --srcdir
C:\gitP\postgres\postgres\src/test\recovery --pg-test-extra  --testgroup
recovery --testname 001_stream_rep -- C:\Strawberry\perl\bin\perl.EXE -I
C:/gitP/postgres/postgres/src/test/perl -I
C:\gitP\postgres\postgres\src/test\recovery
C:/gitP/postgres/postgres/src/test/recovery/t/001_stream_rep.pl
----------------------------------- stdout
-----------------------------------
# executing test in
C:\gitP\postgres\postgres\build_amd64/testrun/recovery/001_stream_rep group
recovery test 001_stream_rep
# initializing database system by copying initdb template
1..0
# test failed
----------------------------------- stderr
-----------------------------------
# die: WAIT FOR LSN failed: error running SQL: 'psql:<stdin>:1: ERROR:
invalid input syntax for type pg_lsn: "0/03045AA0
"
'
# while running 'psql --no-psqlrc --no-align --tuples-only --quiet --dbname
port=30741 host=127.0.0.1 dbname='postgres' --file - --variable
ON_ERROR_STOP=1' with sql 'WAIT FOR LSN '0/03045AA0
' WITH (MODE 'standby_replay', timeout '180s', no_throw);' at
C:/gitP/postgres/postgres/src/test/recovery/t/001_stream_rep.pl line 72.
#  at C:/gitP/postgres/postgres/src/test/recovery/t/001_stream_rep.pl line
72.

(test program exited with status code 9)
==============================================================================
....
Ok:                174
Fail:              154
Skipped:           46
Timeout:           8

Thanks,
Karen

---

From: Kyotaro Horiguchi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2026 17:40:53 +0900 (JST)

At Tue, 30 Jun 2026 07:37:00 +0000, PG Bug reporting form <[email-masked]> wrote in 
> C:/gitP/postgres/postgres/src/test/recovery/t/001_stream_rep.pl line 72.

chomp doesn't seem to be working as expected. Are you using Strawberry
Perl? The documentation states that Strawberry Perl is required for
Windows builds. Are you using the correct Perl?

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/installation-platform-notes.html#WINDOWS-REQUIREMENTS
> Strawberry Perl is required to run the build generation
> scripts. MinGW or Cygwin Perl will not work. It must also be present
> in the PATH. Binaries can be downloaded from
> https://strawberryperl.com.

Regards,

-- 
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center