Subject: Re: BUG #19369: Not documented that io_uring on kernel versions between 5.1 and below 5.6 does not work

From: surya poondla <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2026 11:06:20 -0800

Hi Evan, Andres,

Here is the patch (attached).

I believe this change would also be a good candidate for backpatching to
previous supported versions.

Regards, Surya Poondla

---

From: Andres Freund <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2026 14:11:04 -0500

Hi,

> Here is the patch (attached).

I think we ought to not just document the difference, but also emit a useful
error message at startup...

> previous supported versions.

Yes, once we have something mergeable, it should definitely be added to 18
too.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

---

From: Pierre Forstmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2026 19:15:17 +0100

Hello,

Is asynchronous I/O as introduced in PG 18 also available for Windows 
platform and possibly for Solaris, AIX, FreeBSD platforms ?

If not maybe we should also mention in Server Configuration section that 
asynchronous I/O configuration is only available on Linux platforms.

Is there any other feature only available for specific platforms ? I 
have not found a documentation section mentioning such cases (except for 
installations 
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/18/installation-platform-notes.html).

PF

Le 13/01/2026 à 20:06, surya poondla a écrit :
> I believe this change would also be a good candidate for backpatching 
> to previous supported versions.
>
> Regards, Surya Poondla
>

---

From: Andres Freund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2026 13:18:36 -0500

Hi,

> platform and possibly for Solaris, AIX, FreeBSD platforms ?

Yes, but only using io_method=worker.

Greetings,

Andres Freund