Received: from malur.postgresql.org ([217.196.149.56]) by arkaria.postgresql.org with esmtps (TLS1.3) tls TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 (Exim 4.94.2) (envelope-from ) id 1sCr1k-008Z1S-53 for pgsql-bugs@arkaria.postgresql.org; Fri, 31 May 2024 01:25:53 +0000 Received: from localhost ([127.0.0.1] helo=malur.postgresql.org) by malur.postgresql.org with esmtp (Exim 4.94.2) (envelope-from ) id 1sCr1j-007iCw-LI for pgsql-bugs@arkaria.postgresql.org; Fri, 31 May 2024 01:25:51 +0000 Received: from makus.postgresql.org ([2001:4800:3e1:1::229]) by malur.postgresql.org with esmtps (TLS1.3) tls TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 (Exim 4.94.2) (envelope-from ) id 1sCr1j-007iCn-BR for pgsql-bugs@lists.postgresql.org; Fri, 31 May 2024 01:25:51 +0000 Received: from sss.pgh.pa.us ([68.162.161.243]) by makus.postgresql.org with esmtps (TLS1.3) tls TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 (Exim 4.94.2) (envelope-from ) id 1sCr1g-002kc3-SW for pgsql-bugs@lists.postgresql.org; Fri, 31 May 2024 01:25:50 +0000 Received: from pro.sss.pgh.pa.us (localhost [127.0.0.1]) by sss.pgh.pa.us (8.15.2/8.15.2) with ESMTP id 44V1Pj2Q1858261; Thu, 30 May 2024 21:25:45 -0400 From: Tom Lane To: David Rowley cc: Daniel Gustafsson , michael.banck@netapp.com, pgsql-bugs@lists.postgresql.org Subject: Re: BUG #18484: "Cannot enlarge string buffer" during parallel execution of prepared statement/partitioning In-reply-to: References: <18484-3e357ade5fe50e61@postgresql.org> <7AED6906-7A2E-47CB-93D4-C193D406417B@yesql.se> <9DF26EE9-811F-465B-9999-9B8D47AB6139@yesql.se> <3686.1717083433@sss.pgh.pa.us> Comments: In-reply-to David Rowley message dated "Fri, 31 May 2024 10:34:00 +1200" MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-ID: <4301.1717118745.1@sss.pgh.pa.us> Date: Thu, 30 May 2024 18:25:45 -0700 Message-ID: <4302.1717118745@sss.pgh.pa.us> List-Id: List-Help: List-Subscribe: List-Post: List-Owner: List-Archive: Archived-At: Precedence: bulk David Rowley writes: > Unsure if this needs to wait until we branch or if it's fine to sneak > into v17. I'll leave it til after the branch unless anyone feels > differently. While I'd not fight against committing now, I'd lean to waiting for v18. It's not a bug fix, and it's changing translatable messages at a time when the translators don't need extra work. regards, tom lane