Subject: pgsql: Advance restart_lsn more eagerly in LogicalConfirmReceivedLocati

From: Álvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2026 19:10:34 +0000

Advance restart_lsn more eagerly in LogicalConfirmReceivedLocation

The existing logic computed an updated replicationSlotMinLSN from all
slots' restart_lsn only when catalog_xmin also advanced.  This is not a
problem in normal (non-repack) cases, because catalog_xmin changes
pretty frequently, so the recomputation is triggered frequently enough.
However, REPACK does not currently change its catalog snapshot, so that
doesn't work very well if no other replication slot is being used.

(After this commit, we still don't recycle WAL properly for REPACK,
because its background worker is not advancing its restart_lsn either;
that will be fixed in a separate commit.  However, this preexisting
problem in older code is logically separate from that one.)

Author: Zhijie Hou <[email-masked]>
Reviewed-by: Amit Kapila <[email-masked]>
Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/[email-masked]

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/38470c2c1ea7dc0971d7abf65ef1dde80824ef43

Modified Files
--------------
src/backend/replication/logical/logical.c | 8 +++++++-
1 file changed, 7 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

---

From: Álvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2026 20:32:36 +0200

> Advance restart_lsn more eagerly in LogicalConfirmReceivedLocation

My apologies -- I failed to attribute co-authorship of this patch to Chao
Li per the other thread,
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/D8D9F770-DAA2-482C-A7E0-F87E5104C13E%40gmail.com

Generally speaking, it would be helpful for patch authors to add the
appropriate "Discussion:", "Author:" and "Reviewed-by:" trailers to
commit messages.  I tend to rewrite commit messages almost entirely
before pushing, but I'd normally preserve the trailers.

-- 
Álvaro Herrera        Breisgau, Deutschland  —  https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/

---

From: Chao Li <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2026 11:10:09 +0800

> On Jun 2, 2026, at 02:32, Álvaro Herrera <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

No worries, that’s not a problem at all.

> before pushing, but I'd normally preserve the trailers.

Yes, I agree. I usually try to keep those trailers up to date in my patches, as I think that may make things a bit easier for committers.

Best regards,
--
Chao Li (Evan)
HighGo Software Co., Ltd.
https://www.highgo.com/