Subject: pgsql: pg_upgrade: Preserve default char signedness value from old clus

From: Masahiko Sawada <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2025 18:20:37 +0000

pg_upgrade: Preserve default char signedness value from old cluster.

Commit 44fe30fdab6 introduced the 'default_char_signedness' field in
controlfile. Newly created database clusters always set this field to
'signed'.

This change ensures that pg_upgrade updates the
'default_char_signedness' to 'unsigned' if the source database cluster
has signedness=false. For source clusters from v17 or earlier, which
lack the 'default_char_signedness' information, pg_upgrade assumes the
source cluster was initialized on the same platform where pg_upgrade
is running. It then sets the 'default_char_signedness' value according
to the current platform's default character signedness.

Reviewed-by: Noah Misch <[email-masked]>
Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/CB11ADBC-0C3F-4FE0-A678-666EE80CBB07%40amazon.com

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/a8238f87f980848c2d69c105555c4383e20e7670

Modified Files
--------------
src/bin/pg_upgrade/controldata.c            | 44 ++++++++++++++++++-
src/bin/pg_upgrade/pg_upgrade.c             | 28 +++++++++++++
src/bin/pg_upgrade/pg_upgrade.h             |  6 +++
src/bin/pg_upgrade/t/005_char_signedness.pl | 65 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
4 files changed, 142 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

---

From: Robert Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2025 13:20:22 -0400

> pg_upgrade: Preserve default char signedness value from old cluster.

Hi,

I noticed that after running 'meson test --suite setup --suite
pg_upgrade', the file delete_old_cluster.sh is left behind in the
source directory, which should not happen. Everything created for the
tests should be created in the meson directories. I traced the problem
down to 005_char_signedness.pl. I believe the problem is likely that
other pg_upgrade TAP tests include this locution, whereas
005_char_signedness.pl does not:

# In a VPATH build, we'll be started in the source directory, but we want
# to run pg_upgrade in the build directory so that any files generated finish
# in it, like delete_old_cluster.{sh,bat}.
chdir ${PostgreSQL::Test::Utils::tmp_check};

Regards,

-- 
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

---

From: Masahiko Sawada <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2025 15:01:43 -0700

> chdir ${PostgreSQL::Test::Utils::tmp_check};

Thank you for the report.

I've confirmed the issue and attached a patch to fix it.

Regards,

-- 
Masahiko Sawada
Amazon Web Services: https://aws.amazon.com

---

From: Robert Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2025 23:02:14 -0400

> I've confirmed the issue and attached a patch to fix it.

Cool. The commit message refers to 003_char_signedness, but the test
name is 005, not 003.

---

From: Masahiko Sawada <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2025 21:35:43 -0700

> Cool. The commit message refers to 003_char_signedness, but the test

Thank you for reviewing the patch. I've pushed the patch after fixing it.

Regards,

---

From: Robert Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2025 08:28:25 -0400

> Thank you for reviewing the patch. I've pushed the patch after fixing it.

Thanks for taking care of it (and so quickly!).