Subject: pgsql: Fix incorrect handling of subquery pullup in the presence of gro

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2018 17:25:00 +0000

Fix incorrect handling of subquery pullup in the presence of grouping sets.

If we flatten a subquery whose target list contains constants or
expressions, when those output columns are used in GROUPING SET columns,
the planner was capable of doing the wrong thing by merging a pulled-up
expression into the surrounding expression during const-simplification.
Then the late processing that attempts to match subexpressions to grouping
sets would fail to match those subexpressions to grouping sets, with the
effect that they'd not go to null when expected.

To fix, wrap such subquery outputs in PlaceHolderVars, ensuring that
they preserve their separate identity throughout the planner's expression
processing.  This is a bit of a band-aid, because the wrapper defeats
const-simplification even in places where it would be safe to allow.
But a nicer fix would likely be too invasive to back-patch, and the
consequences of the missed optimizations probably aren't large in most
cases.

Back-patch to 9.5 where grouping sets were introduced.

Heikki Linnakangas, with small mods and better test cases by me;
additional review by Andrew Gierth

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/[email-masked]

Branch
------
REL_10_STABLE

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d3ca1a6c3721b910fa8c05f41397727a53409fd3

Modified Files
--------------
src/backend/optimizer/prep/prepjointree.c  | 48 +++++++++++++++++++++++++-----
src/test/regress/expected/groupingsets.out | 45 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
src/test/regress/sql/groupingsets.sql      | 20 +++++++++++++
3 files changed, 105 insertions(+), 8 deletions(-)